#1 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

I like the exploration and expansion side of space sims but most that I've tried seem to have shitty, clunky combat. Ur Quan Masters, Master of Orion 2, Flotilla, and Space Rangers 2 were all great until I found myself in boring space battles (that I usually lost). I really like Noctis IV since it's all about exploration, but it's a bit of a limited and old game now, which is also tough to run.

Any suggestions? Should I go even deeper into the past and try something like Elite?

#2 Posted by Khann (2834 posts) -

Tried the X3 games? Bit of a learning curve from what I hear, but it's much more based around the economy aspect than the combat aspect too I believe.

#3 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

@Khann: Yeah, anything I google inevitably turns up X3 and Freelancer, but they do seem to me to have a lot of combat. Maybe I'll watch some videos though to be sure.

#4 Posted by JaredA (822 posts) -

Evochron Mercenary, maybe. It sounds like the game you want. They have a quick look of it if you want to check it out.

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Faster Than Light. It's more of a rogue like of you being a ship captain then a space sim, but it has pretty simple yet deep combat.

#6 Posted by LimpBishop (220 posts) -
#7 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

X3 is good, I spent 20 hours just trading and doing non-violent missions before buying a combat ship.

#8 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

X3 is probably the best one if you want an actual game. It has an incredibly high learning curve though. The economics of it can push you, but flying around Saturn or Neptune is just cool. It's cool.

However if I feel like getting spacey I fire Space Engine and go anywhere I want in the universe. Saturn? Sure. VY Canis Majoris? No problem. The Andromeda Galaxy? Done. It isn't a game, but the feeling of having absolutely everything at your fingertips is amazing. The only problem is you need a supercomputer to play it, but consider that everything is procedurally created and you can travel the surface of planets it's worth it. Some of the shit you see is inspiring.

#9 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

@AiurFlux: Could not agree more on Space Engine.

#10 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

My computer isn't great so I'm hesitant about space engine. X3 seems pretty good but it does seem to involve quite a lot of combat. I'll give it a try though, thanks.

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -
#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Might be worth keeping an eye on Rodina and Notch's 0x10c. They're both obviously indie games, but they're focused much more on making space exploration/customisation games.

#13 Posted by D_W (1148 posts) -
Starflight for the Genesis. Just don't use a walkthrough.
#14 Posted by NarficAcid (86 posts) -

@JasonR86: I also came in here to say Darkstar One. There is a fair amount of combat, but as long as you simply follow the story it's really simple stuff.

#15 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@9cupsoftea said:

My computer isn't great so I'm hesitant about space engine. X3 seems pretty good but it does seem to involve quite a lot of combat. I'll give it a try though, thanks.

No, not really. You're not forced to do combat for the most part and can pretty much instantly go to free roaming sandbox game. If you trade enough illegal goods even most pirates will eventually come around and have a friendly stance towards you. The only always hostile force as of now are the Xenon (and in Reununion + TC Khaak) and those only show up in their own sectors and one "migration routes" from on sector to another but are mostly taken care of by the race military.

The only part where you're forced to engage in combat is when doing the plots because at least part of them is made up by fighting missions.

Also "X3" is actually three games as of now. X3 Reunion the first, X3 Terran Conflict the second and X3 Albion Prelude. Personally I'd recommend Terran Conflict because there is no war between the Argon and Terrans and the game feels "most balances" while giving you a lot of options thus as eventually owning your own sector.

Though you have the Khaak as enemy in X3 TC, they're most of the time a non issue in the core/safer sectors though.

#16 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@9cupsoftea said:

Well even if you can't play it I can leave you with this, narrated by the great Carl Sagan.

Whoever did that made 1 hour of thought provoking beauty. Hearing Sagan say it is one thing. Seeing the galactic super-clusters spread out before you while he says it is entirely another.