Splinter Cell Conviction and the 4th wall

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Echelon730

In an interview with the lead designer of Splinter Cell Conviction, the topic of how the story and objectives will be shown on walls via lights or a movie projector style. It was said that he wanted to have a more compelling story line than anything seen before in the stealth action genre. Clearly saying that he trying to hit the story telling level of the MGS series.

So the Question is, Will this breaking of the forth wall of story telling be the thing that makes Splinter Cell the premire stealth action game?

Second Question is, If this story telling style is done well do you think other games will adopt it such as Metal Gear?

Here is the video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50616.html

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

To be honest, I'm not really feeling the projection style objectives. I'd much prefer if I was told over a radio or if it appeared on the HUD as on-screen text.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Illmatic

I'm actually really digging that style. It reminds me of Heroes, or more specifically Fringe, and from what I've seen so far it is much more visually appealing to me than text on a HUD.

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Echelon730

I think that the novelity might wear off if I play through it more than once. Hopefully there is an arcade mode in which you can turn them off

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

I like to think that Sam is going crazy and thats what its all about.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FlipperDesert

The presentation is cool, but I've never liked Splinter Cell for it's gameplay and I've never liked Tom Clancy's (The brand. *wink*) game stories.

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lyphen

You're using the term "fourth wall" incorrectly. The information is displayed on the walls, yes, but Sam isn't aware of them. But, specificaly, breaking the fourth wall would be if Sam was talking to you, the player, about the imaginary stuff being displayed on screen, or what he thinks you should make him do next. Or, just further cemeting the fact that everything that's going on in the game is cheesy, and fictional (they aren't trying to do that, they're trying to immerse you into it's fiction, not poke fun at it).

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Suicrat

Anyone who wants more HUD elements can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. Projecting mission objectives and cinematics onto the walls of the games are brilliant, and the game wouldn't be worth a second look if they simply put that mission text on screen directly, or cut-away to cinematics, or had the plot points revealed over radio.

Also, Lyphen's right, this is a misuse of the concept 'fourth-wall breaking'

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Echelon730
@Lyphen said:
"You're using the term "fourth wall" incorrectly. The information is displayed on the walls, yes, but Sam isn't aware of them. But, specificaly, breaking the fourth wall would be if Sam was talking to you, the player, about the imaginary stuff being displayed on screen, or what he thinks you should make him do next. Or, just further cemeting the fact that everything that's going on in the game is cheesy, and fictional (they aren't trying to do that, they're trying to immerse you into it's fiction, not poke fun at it). "

Well I am having a hard time describing the experience that I saw in the gameplay. The Gameplay has broken the forth wall, yet the story really hasn't. So the presentation breaks it would you say?
Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Clubvodka

I agree with Echelon, though its became a discussion of semantics more than anything.

It can be said the gameplay is breaking the fourth wall, or at very least its subversive.

This type of exposistion should be used with his game and then never again! Looks really cool but never again

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lyphen

I'd just say it's a more organic way to display information.It's the same thing as Dead Space (why is his health on the back, he can't see that! Or...why does he need an inventory screen for his pockets!). It may not be realistic, but it's using game assets in a smart way, to show what would normaly be in a HUD or pause screen (which is not part of the game world at all).

But I don't mean to derail this. I'm not entirely optimistic about the games' story, but I certainly hope it would turn into a convoluted mess like MGS. Something like Sam being a cloned triple agent who's faking a daughter in order to discover hidden information about some other nuclear device that's worse than a sub...would throw me off.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HUD's are generrally clusterfucks, I like the idea of not using them 

As for breaking the fourth wall, I love that when it's done right, but I just don't like Splinter Cell
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Suicrat
@Echelon730: Story and mission elements projected on walls is no more immersion-breaking than having that data show up in the HUD. In fact I'd say it's less so.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icil

Looks amazing. I personally was a huge fan of the slow, high-risk stealth gameplay but people are understandably wanting something faster so I welcome the change. The marking, projections, and interrogations look great. I can't imagine anyone -not- wanting to take each person and bash their face into every possible surface. Can't wait.

My only qualm is the 'last known location' thing. If I saw Sam Fisher hop out a window, I wouldn't expect him to come in on that same window. I would look for all possible entries and cover them. It's not a final build, sure, so hopefully I'll see some enemy teamwork or some smarter search tactics in later iterations.

Woo! Loving this game so far =)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I think it just shows his craziness and whatnot.
Truth be said, things like this are something that you might see to be annoying while watching it, but in playing it's not a big deal at all.

When it comes to the hud, you can have it in two ways--- none or make it feel like it should be their.  Not going to elaborate on none, but examples of it feeling natural are a clusterfuck hud in a space combat sim or even in halo's as everything is slightly curved in the manner of a helmet.

And this isn't somethign I see becoming a trend.  It's going to be a neat feature and exclusive to splinter cell.  Think of it like boarding in halo.  Very cool, but not many other games will use it.

---Also guys, this game's graphics are fucking awesome

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JazzyJeff

We need to remember that we're judging this off a gameplay demo. Once you actually get the game at home and play it, it may be totally immersive.