Splinter Cell Conviction and the 4th wall

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Echelon730

In an interview with the creative lead on Splinter Cell conviction he mentioned that he wants to take the 4th wall down with splinter cell. He is doing this by telling the story and the objectives via lights on walls. This can appear as a still set of lights or as a movie, or as lights tracking along the wall. He said that he wants to tell the story in a more organic and emotional way and have the player never leave it. He made mention of how some games do long cutscenes really well and that is good, but he wanted to do something different. Clearly a call out to Metal Gear.  This story telling style could be very powerful or an annoyance.

So the first question is, do you think that the breaking of the 4th wall story telling style is a good idea?

Question 2, If so do you think that its a better choice than Kojima's 90 minute mini epics?

Here is a link to the interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50616.html

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

I love the idea. Splinter Cell has always been stronger than MGS on the gameplay front, so if they get storytelling down in an interesting way, SC:C will be a hell of a game.

I'm not a huge fan of the insane MGS cutscenes; I like this much more. As the guy was saying, games are supposed to be interactive- cutscenes are by definition passive, no matter how epic or well-produced they are.
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Matt_

1. Yes, I think it sounds really cool.
2. I think they are two completely different products. Kojima is Military-fetishist and super crazy which works in long cutscenes. Splinter Cell is gritty and more serious in tone. So I think both styles suit the games they are included in. So keep them how they are and I will enjoy both.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By torus
@Matt_: Splinter Cell was gritty. It lost a lot of that tone in Double Agent. I hope Conviction can bring it back.