Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

For one of my jobs, I have to take quizzes every once in awhile as a part of my training. This week, I had to take a quiz on Splinter Cell Conviction. Here's the question with the answers: 

Is Splinter Cell Conviction abandoning all the elements that hardcore Splinter Cell fans have grown to love over the years?

Yes! Conviction is moving in a new direction that most hardcore Splinter Cell fans will not enjoy. 

Yes! Due to Conviction now being a sing-a-long music game, some fans of the past Splinter Cell games may not be too happy. 

No! Conviction is basically a graphically updated version of the original Splinter Cell game. 

No! Conviction took the best parts of old Splinter Cells to create the perfect balance of action and stealth. Conviction still requires the player to make intelligent decisions and act as an elite agent would. What Conviction does that past Splinter Cells didn't do, is truly make you feel like an elite operative.

The correct answer is the 4th choice, which is supposed to be my response if a customer asks me this question. 
Anyone else find it funny how defensive they are to ask a question about this?
TwinkieTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TwinkieTime

Lemony Snicket"s Splinter Cell: Conviction

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just find it funny cause two of the other answer are generic, and the other answer is retarded. The correct answer sounds exactly what a drone sales person is supposed to say, and definitely looks like they put too much effort into being "hey this game is really good,and we want you to tell everyone that". So yah, it is pretty defensive. 

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Icil
@lilburtonboy7489 said:

"No! Conviction took the best parts of old Splinter Cells to create the perfect balance of action and stealth. Conviction still requires the player to make intelligent decisions and act as an elite agent would. What Conviction does that past Splinter Cells didn't do,is truly make you feel like an elite operative. "

The underlined part is my problem. The whole point of stealth is to put front and center the character's mortality. Stealth's not a choice, it's supposed to be a necessity in the face of impossible odds. If you make the character powerful enough to not require stealth, you break the mood.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Conviction. The problem is that Chaos Theory (and its prequels) were actual stealth sims. Conviction's just an action game with stealth elements. They pull it off damn well, I'll say, but I can't call it a stealth sim anymore, and to me this is a fork in the road for Splinter Cell, not a full-fidelity upgrade. They chose to add more action in the game while removing the large 'breaking stealth' penalties the last games had. Makes the game more fun (in a casual, superficial sense [and there's nothing wrong with that]), but it's different. 

Also, a mini-nitpick here, but Conviction's super-streamlined level/gameplay design held it back, and it reeks of why people thought Mass Effect 2's gameplay was shallow. When the music changed from ambience to intense then back to ambience during the story levels (signifying the end of a 'battle-sequence'), I just got up out of cover and ran full speed until the next 'encounter' (when the three red dots signify loading and spawning of enemies), totally disregarding stealth because of some meta-elements in the game (and I hate that, it felt like I was in a WoW dungeon).