Splitting the Bombcast? So much for not splitting the userbase...

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#201  Edited By omghisam

I fully support their right to split their user base between those who generate revenue and those who don't. Building a large user base isn't worth anything if they don't receive subscription revenue or ad CPM from their members.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By Aetos

Man, the reaction to this has been crazy. I'd think they would change this now that they have seen the reaction.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By DystopiaX
@Fjordson said:
" @DystopiaX: Eh? I've been listening to a two hour Bombcast for free for over two years now. That is no longer possible. They have fucked with it. Period. "
You're seeming to think they said they wouldn't "fuck with it" what they DID say is that you wouldn't have to pay for anything you're currently getting, and you don't . All you have to do is wait a week.
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#204  Edited By mathewballard

I've been here since day one and I don't have an issue with it. I suppose because I will be getting a paid membership.

twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#205  Edited By twhalen
@SpaceInsomniac said:
" @thai_jedi said:
" @Hockeymask27 said:
" @KillerEwok said:
" Please GB Crew, don't do this. If you're going to do something with the podcast, put it up on monday night  for subscribers. But same time or Wednesday morning for everyone else. Splitting the bombcast into 2 parts is just mad IMO. "
"
@Coombs said:
" @Marmaladebrat said:
" I think I agree with some of the sentiments here. I enjoy the full bombcast. I don't want only a portion of the bombcast and I really don't like the idea of waiting a week for the full bombcast. Most video game podcasts are out of date in a week. new announcements, interviews and news comes in a week's time.  I think they could have come up with something new to offer instead of breaking up the podcast. Maybe offer a video of the podcast to paid subscribers, and unpaid just get audio.   Again, it kind of sucks, the two hour podcast was perfect for my NYC commute. Damnit. "
That is a fucking great idea,  WHISKEY,  DO THIS "
  GENIUS! "
Quoting this, because it should be on every page of this thread. "
I posted this idea somewhere else too. I stick to my sentiments in my last post, but if there were an alternative to the split Bombcast, this would be the best idea.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#206  Edited By dtat
@niamahai said:
"how are you affected when you're getting the same stuff later?  HOW?  TELL ME HOW?  god the amount of QQ is amazing. "

It affects us because the nature of the content in the bombcast itself will likely be changed, and our opinions of the crew have been damaged.
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#207  Edited By pbhawks45

Vote with your wallets, people. Let your voices be heard tomorrow in the Big Live Live Show Live. Make it be known that the community made GB, not the other way around. LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD. Make them change their minds.

BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#208  Edited By BD
@niamahai:  I guess we need to see what the difference will be. Hopefully it won't change the dialogue much the stupid tangents are the best part and I would hate to see it eliminated to keep something under a time limit or even cut mid sentence and have to wait a week to here a finished thought.
Joey Blanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#209  Edited By Joey Blanton
@Dtat said:

" @niamahai said:

"how are you affected when you're getting the same stuff later?  HOW?  TELL ME HOW?  god the amount of QQ is amazing. "
It affects us because the nature of the content in the bombcast itself will likely be changed, and our opinions of the crew have been damaged. "
Yeah, but you don't know that for sure. Once the first post-subscription Bombcast comes out, and it sucks, then complain about how they've sold out all you want. Until then, your argument doesn't make much sense. 

Also, anyone that thinks less of the GiantBomb crew after this announcement is silly. Its a podcast. It isn't that big of a deal.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#210  Edited By fjordson
@DystopiaX: Oh, I have to wait a week? Thank you for rehashing what I heard over an hour ago. Shitty idea is shitty.

Bombcast, it's been a good run:

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By ColinWright

This is awesome news. One less podcast for me to care about. 

Avatar image for DELETE_grayfox666
GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By GrayFox666

i get my podcasts through itunes, so im assuming i have to download it from ginatbomb now to listen to it if i pay, then just wait the week and download each part seperatley there.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Detrian
@Hao_Kaiser said:
" @Dtat said:
" @niamahai said:
It affects us because the nature of the content in the bombcast itself will likely be changed, and our opinions of the crew have been damaged. "
Yeah, but you don't know that for sure. Once the first post-subscription Bombcast comes out, and it sucks, then complain about how they've sold out all you want. Until then, your argument doesn't make much sense.  Also, anyone that thinks less of the GiantBomb crew after this announcement is silly. It's a podcast. It isn't that big of a deal. "
Don't be stupid. The only podcast section that is NOT time sensitive is fucking emails, everything else is information that NEEDS to be put out as soon as possible for it to be worth anything.

What's happening now is that either they make the podcast shittier by removing/shortening segments or turn to giving your information a week late when it's not worth shit.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By DystopiaX
@Fjordson: Face it, this is just like when CoD map packs were 15 dollars instead of 10. You may be one of the minority to leave, but people will bitch and moan, and then buy it anway. 
 And if you really love this site, you better hope they do, because this is their PRIMARY and basically only way of earning money. If this doesn't work, they may have to lock away content, etc., in order to get the money they need to survive.
Avatar image for thebootlegsaint
TheBootlegSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By TheBootlegSaint

This is bullshit! 

Joey Blanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Joey Blanton
@Detrian: Anything important will be in the first hour.  

I really don't see what you're trying to say.
niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By niamahai

RYAN DAVIS VOICE WUV YOU RONG TIME! ONLY FIVE DORRA!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#218  Edited By vaiz
@niamahai said:
" RYAN DAVIS VOICE WUV YOU RONG TIME! ONLY FIVE DORRA! "
/thread
FinalCut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#219  Edited By FinalCut

When I listened to the latest Bombcast where they discussed this I came away from it thinking it was a complete non-issue. Jesus christ though, the reaction is crazy! No one has to pay for anything they weren't before, just wait a week, for less time sensitive material. It's no big deal. Do people go and say that all Xbox users pay for their demos because gold members get  a weeks earlier access, full access none the less, where as it's only half of the Bombcast. Dumb internet outrage always brings me down, and this is no different.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By AltonBrown
@Hao_Kaiser said:
 I'm assuming the iTunes feed will just halt a week, and then continue as normal? I'm cool with that. "
I hope that's what happens. Not angry about this at all. $50 a year is nothing.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Detrian
@Hao_Kaiser said:
" @Detrian: Anything important will be in the first hour.   I really don't see what you're trying to say. "
Everything important doesn't fit in one hour. That's the point.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By fjordson
@DystopiaX: CoD map packs? What does that have to do with this? I've never even thought about buying those. And who said anything about leaving? I'm too much of a Giant Bomb fanboy to do that. But as I said, shitty idea is shitty. You can say that response is the minority if you'd like, but after reading posts on here and other sites like NeoGAF, it sure doesn't seem that way.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#223  Edited By Mrnitropb
@Manhattan_Project said:
" Most of my concerns have already been voiced so basically I'm just here to say I don't like this one bit.  But to all the idiots who are saying "adults deal with this" or "this is what happens when you're an adult", a lot of people on here are in their teens including me. I just graduated from high school and am about to start college and on top of that, I can't find a god damn job so fuck you.   I'd also like to say that the main reason this is messed up, is only because they said everything that was free would remain the way it was and they said they didn't want to split the audience. People talk about what happens on the bombcast in the forums and in the TNT chat so even if its just for a week, you're still splitting the user base. "
Oh its still freeeeeeee, you just can't have it yet. Like when your girlfreind has sex with you, but you can't cum until next week.

And yes, this site is some big on its own Memes (Uh, Russian martian batman, anyone?), that having even another layer of inside jokes is gonna be hella frustrating.
Joey Blanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Joey Blanton
@Detrian: What's really time sensitive about the show? News and releases? 

I feel like they could easily get that into an hour. 
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By mazik765

Normally I wouldn't care but this is EXACTLY what they said they weren't going to do. Not to mention they are charging for something that every other website I have ever ventured upon has offered for free.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By JoRoNimo

Nobody complains about getting a bunch of free shit. But when someone mans up and says, "hey, guys, I need some money", nobody wants to hand anything over to help. 

That's how it works, dude. You get the first hit free. Except in this case, you can always get the NEXT hit free, you just gotta wait for it.    

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By DystopiaX
@Fjordson said:
" @DystopiaX: CoD map packs? What does that have to do with this? I've never even thought about buying those. And who said anything about leaving? I'm too much of a Giant Bomb fanboy to do that. But as I said, shitty idea is shitty. You can say that response is the minority if you'd like, but after reading posts on here and other sites like NeoGAF, it sure doesn't seem that way. "
I said it was like that- not that you did it, but it was the same type of argument. Activision basically said that the map packs would cost 15  dollars instead of 10, which was the norm, and people bitched but it still sold gangbusters (compared to the number of people with the game as well). 

half the people on NeoGAF seem to have the impression that they won't EVER be able to listen to the second hour; I read the OP on that thread and I didn't even realize he mentioned the week-delay unlock until searching specifically for it. Early polls seem to indicate that most people answering for them will pay in some kind of way, and most of those are paying for a year. I figure, I can just buy one less crap game a year and this will justify itself.
Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#228  Edited By Mattalorian

Whiskey has stated several times that they're going to be extremely cautious about the subscription, and the last thing they want to do is split the userbase. By splitting the podcast, they have done just that. I used to hold a very deep respect for Whiskey, but I must have got completely distracted with the rich personalities of the crew that I forgot it was a cold-hearted business, not unlike GameSpot or IGN. I completely understand why they would do this - it's a good way to justify the time and money spent on the podcast - but from a consumer standpoint, I almost feel betrayed. Whiskey has come off as a friendly organization with a strong focus on making quality products and serving consumers, not purely a money-making venture with a disregard for the consumers. You certainly can't blame them - they're a business trying to make money on the internet. And that's just how businesses roll. I just would've felt better if they had been more honest beforehand. Stating that they were trying to avoid "splitting the userbase" wasn't 1% true, as splitting up the Bombcast seems to be one of the most effective ways to do just that. If they really do have a shortage of money, and this is the only way to continue doing the podcast, then I can definitely sympathize to a certain degree. But they're talking about effectively charging for an internet podcast. That's more than a little extreme - this means that I can't really recommend it to others anymore. "The Bombcast is great, but it can't really compare to free podcasts."
I love the Bombcast, so I'm going to pay for the subscription. So in the end, maybe they've won. They've got my money, but they sure as hell have lost a lot of my respect. I think I can speak for a good portion of the community on that one.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#229  Edited By ch13696

So one of the main reasons why I'm here basically went to crap. The other reason is because of you guys. Well, I refuse to leave because of the podcast, but I refuse to pay because of that reason also. Way to stick it to us Whiskey Media. 

Oh, and does anyone know how this will affect the iTunes downloads? Did they say how they will do that? Because that's how I download the Bombcast.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By vaiz

You know, let's be clear about this: The content isn't the issue. 
The subscription isn't the issue. 
The principle is the issue.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By bongchilla

In all honesty the BombCast is mainly what I use this site for. What worries me if if we decide to pay for this membership, the quality of their podcast will diminish anyway because they will have to restructure the flow. So paid members, who are long time listeners, will inevitably get a worse product as a result. I personally will not pay them for  lesser quality. Also I don't understand how they can be so hard up for cash when they have free interns and contributers who do not get paid to post news stories.   

Remember when they were talking about Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer becoming a paid service? This while decision screams of  hypocrisy.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's like a newspaper being cut in half and getting the other part 2 days later or something, like what's the use?

to be fair tho I guess the bombcast was the only thing they could possibly monotize that people would give a flying fuck about if they werent going to touch the wiki or the coverage its not much left.

It just sucks when money has to come ruin a good thing.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By monkyofdoom
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By vaiz
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By fjordson
@DystopiaX: You're missing a large part of the problem with this idea.

If they change the format of the Bombcast, it may not be so bad. But as it stands, that second hour is time sensitive stuff. The Bombcast will be one of the single worst shows around if it's always a week late with industry news and whatnot.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#236  Edited By trophyhunter

I would rather there be a thousand ads in every corner of the site then them fuck with the bombcast. 

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Turtlemayor333
@punkxblaze:  Finally. This is 12 pages now of people screaming, "Hey you can still get it a week later." Reading this thread is the worst. 

Giant Bomb users are better, seriously. It's totally about people who want to support a site and now feel unsure about it.
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#238  Edited By gabha
@DoctorWelch said:
 Everyone just needs to go back to the bombcasts where they talk about the paid service for the PS3 online, and apply it as if they were talking about their own service.
This.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Mrnitropb
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mrnitropb said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" Most of my concerns have already been voiced so basically I'm just here to say I don't like this one bit.  But to all the idiots who are saying "adults deal with this" or "this is what happens when you're an adult", a lot of people on here are in their teens including me. I just graduated from high school and am about to start college and on top of that, I can't find a god damn job so fuck you.   I'd also like to say that the main reason this is messed up, is only because they said everything that was free would remain the way it was and they said they didn't want to split the audience. People talk about what happens on the bombcast in the forums and in the TNT chat so even if its just for a week, you're still splitting the user base. "
Oh its still freeeeeeee, you just can't have it yet. Like when your girlfreind has sex with you, but you can't cum until next week.  And yes, this site is some big on its own Memes (Uh, Russian martian batman, anyone?), that having even another layer of inside jokes is gonna be hella frustrating. "
Weeeeellll, that might be a bit extreme but yes, essentially that is what they are doing. 

Like I said, its only a shame because its exactly what they said they wouldn't do. 

Giant Bomb, I wish I could quit you.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By DystopiaX
@Fjordson said:
" @DystopiaX: You're missing a large part of the problem with this idea.  If they change the format of the Bombcast, it may not be so bad. But as it stands, that second hour is time sensitive stuff. The Bombcast will be one of the single worst shows around if it's always a week late with industry news and whatnot. "
All the news is covered in the first hour. The second is always wiiware and more fucking around anyway, which isn't essential. Also, if you listen to last week's podcast, it's not like that news is terribly out of date, and let's face it, it's not like most people listen to the bombcast for the news anyway.
JesseCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By JesseCherry

Why are we so quick to turn on those we trusted? I have faith in these guys. The haven't screwed us over before, so why are we ready to assume they are now? Let's wait and see what they do before we go screaming our heads off. 

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By pjacobson21

I understand the reasoning behind it, but still... not feeling it. Not at all.

JesseCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By JesseCherry

It is a week later. I'm sure they will make sure not to talk about current news on the premium cast. Maybe the extra part will be them shooting the shit, so the timing won't really mater. Calm down people and give them time to explain

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#246  Edited By Vinny_Says
@pbhawks45: hello, when dave first announced the paid memberships, I sarcastically said paying people should get a separate podcast....this is what I get
justamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By justamat
Jon_Danger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#248  Edited By Jon_Danger

I would be completely good with 30 bucks a year (and no t-shirt)

They should think of pricing this like a magazine subscription.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#249  Edited By dtat
@Hao_Kaiser said:
"@Dtat said:

" @niamahai said:

Yeah, but you don't know that for sure. Once the first post-subscription Bombcast comes out, and it sucks, then complain about how they've sold out all you want. Until then, your argument doesn't make much sense.  Also, anyone that thinks less of the GiantBomb crew after this announcement is silly. Its a podcast. It isn't that big of a deal. "

Maybe you've been listening to a different podcast, but the one I listen to flows very nicely and hinges a lot on running jokes and such that make their way throughout the entire broadcast. I'm not saying it WILL change, it's  just that splitting the podcast into distinct halves makes zero sense when you listen to it. It worries me that the tone and pace could easily be changed to fit the new model. Also yes, I do think less of people that claim to care deeply about their user base and promise not to take content away from loyal fans and then go back on their word. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By kollay

These are the very same people who went to your guys' PAX panel to see you guys do what you guys do best. This community has undoubtedly shown how fucking supportive and how much they love Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media as a whole. 

Now, if WE got to see the same shit LIVE like you guys did in that panel then that is one big fucking difference, and I'd put down $50 for a full video/live bombcast.

Or how about not editing it at all? Just slap the regular fucking music in the appropriate times then put it up. It is US we are talking about, I know I won't give a shit whether there are a billion "ums" or "uhs" or how racist Vinny gets in his talks. 

I just want the bombcast I know and love UN FUCKING TOUCHED.