kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kenjisalk
  http://squallsdead.com/ 

Not sure if this has made the rounds on giantbomb, but I was curious as to what you guys/gals thought of this theory.  

I agree with this guy's thesis though:  

I choose to believe that this is how the game was intended to be understood because, to me, the game makes no sense otherwise. Everything that happens to the characters after the first disc is retarded. The ending is like recapping the game on acid. There has to be something more to the story than a simple ‘Hero Takes All’ plot. 

What is giantbomb's opinion on the matter?
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

My opinion?  Someone's thinking WAY too hard about this game.   

I can understand someone believing he died during the game's ending, but dying at the end of disc one?  What?  This game just isn't that deep.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

I've never played FFVIII, but I love that someone cares enough about it to make a website devoted just to their theory on the ending.  And I'm serious, I think that's awesome.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

Paul's dead?!?!?

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Semition

This reminds me of Spoony's FF8 review.

Squall should have died. I mean, he got impaled through the chest by giant icicles.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Kiemoe

Sounds interesting. This should be in ff8 forums.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mmmslash

I like this almost as much as the "Ash Ketchum is in a coma in every episode after the first" theory.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eclipsesis

Mind blown.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite (hey Squall avatar) and i think for one video game to lead to a number of conclusions as fantastical as that amazes me. Hey maybe thats not how it ended and discs 2,3,4 actually did happen, I'm fine with that buts lets consider that this theory is true and Hironobu Sakaguchi never intended to make it known, and instead would rely on the subtle hints granted the player to have them figure it out for themselves; this complexity and a gift that not many video game grant the player.  

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kenjisalk

The quick screenshot of Squall without a face is deeply disturbing, and I'd never noticed it before because of how fast and brief it was.

I honestly don't know if the creators intended the game to be interpreted this way, but if it wasn't, then it's just a bad story told poorly.  At least this theory would make sense of how incoherent and insipid it was.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

I thought you meant James Squall for a second and I got scared.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By Soap

I had never really thought of this as an idea before, I really like it and kind of wish it could be true (only because it would make FFVIII a much deeper game than it would be without this theroy) although one thing stands out in my mind.

The first Laguna dream sequence, which happens when they are all on the train to Timber, far before squall (possibly) dies.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roninenix

FFVIII never really hit it home as a good game, at least for me it didn't. If his theory were to be what really happened in the FFVIII universe, I'd really appreciate that game more?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ghostiet
@Semition said:
" Squall should have died. I mean, he got impaled through the chest by giant icicles. "

I think he should have died for completely different reasons. I think being a total BITCH is pretty high on that list.

God, he's like the fucking prototype of Bastila Shan. Sometimes I think they made Dissida only to let you kill that guy over and over again. Come to think of it, BioWare should do something like that too, so you could take Wrex or Sarevok and destroy Shan ad mortem defecata.

Still, the theory makes sense. How long that's on the internet? I don't remember popping on that earlier.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

A good write-up. I don't personally think that the developers even remotely had anything like this in mind, but a good theory nonetheless. Of course, in a 40-hour game with lots of cutscenes and dialogue you can find "proof" and "evidence" for every conceivable theory and as long as you only list this stuff, your text will be very convincing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Ghostiet said:

God, he's like the fucking prototype of Bastila Shan. Sometimes I think they made Dissida only to let you kill that guy over and over again. Come to think of it, BioWare should do something like that too, so you could take Wrex or Sarevok and destroy Shan ad mortem defecata.

While we are at it, you should be able to destroy Aerie from Baldur's Gate II, Mission Vao from KotOR, and Ashley from ME1. That would pretty much trump Dissidia in the "Beating the shit out of annoying people" department.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostiet
@ArbitraryWater said:

" @Ghostiet said:

God, he's like the fucking prototype of Bastila Shan. Sometimes I think they made Dissida only to let you kill that guy over and over again. Come to think of it, BioWare should do something like that too, so you could take Wrex or Sarevok and destroy Shan ad mortem defecata.While we are at it, you should be able to destroy Aerie from Baldur's Gate II, Mission Vao from KotOR, and Ashley from ME1. That would pretty much trump Dissidia in the "Beating the shit out of annoying people" department. "

Swap Ashley for Kaidan, add Lynette from Fallout 2 (she could fit on VERY weak terms) and we have an instant GOTY.
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By davidwitten22

Honestly, I only got through the first disc of FFVIII, and that wasn't very enjoyable. The write up seems plausible though, and that ending video is very, very strange. It's quite creepy, and that faceless Squall is seriously wtf.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Pie said:
" Paul's dead?!?!? "
Paul is dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

I think they've forgotten a major theory present for some time: FF8 wasn't that good to begin with. Sure, Final Fantasy is known for a lot of deep plots (4, 6, 7, 9, 10, etc.), but they had some dignity that you can't have with an "epic romance."

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21  Edited By Symphony

I'm not buying it (and neither are the authors of the article, it seems lol). It was a good read and an interesting argument but just a bit too much of a convenient "catch all" plot device for it to really pan out.

I enjoyed FFVIII, but let's face it -- the plot went pretty bat-shit crazy at times and the fact of the matter is it just wasn't a well-designed story. Trying to rationalize it all as some sort of "life flashing before his eyes" dream sequence is a poor rational for trying to justify a weak story, especially when there is no explanation of it being a dream (though granted the authors of the article say as much, themselves). Hell, you could justify FFVII's plot as being Cloud's dream in a similar fashion considering it's just as messed up at times as VIII's.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Bones8677

What, are you saying that the only explanation for the DRILL SHAPED PRISON, the Moomba, Zell and Co inexplicably growing to giant size, nuclear missiles, NORG, Space Ships, and Laguna becoming ruler over a secret technological utopia, is that it was all dreamed up by a dead guy?

pssshhhhhh  Yeah, like THAT would happen...      :D

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

@Symphony: Yeah, but particularly the ending sequence gets too fucked up. The dream explanation is not pitch-perfect (yet), but it makes real sense.

Also, with FFVII it kinda does the dream shit from the beginning, so musing more about it would make it too bizarre.