sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sketch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7885454.stm

A Japanese computer games maker has agreed to buy Eidos, the UK company behind the Tomb Raider and Championship Manager games, for £84.3m ($120m).

Square Enix said it would pay 32 pence a share in cash for Eidos, which has been hit by weak US sales of its latest edition of Tomb Raider.

Eidos shares more than doubled in value in early trading, to 31 pence.

The company said last month that it had received an informal takeover approach from an unnamed bidder.

US media giant Time Warner owns 20% of Eidos and had been tipped as a potential bidder.

Square Enix, known for its Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy video games, wants to extend its reach in Europe.

"Eidos's products are highly complementary to our business and will accelerate our aggressive expansion into Western markets," said Square Enix president Yoichi Wada.

They seem to be taking this western market penetration quite seriously. I'll be honest, I don't get what Square see in Eidos, but it can only be a god thing for Eidos, with the weak Underworld sales.

EDIT: that title should really be "Square Enix to buy Eidos", my bad

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe they'll inject Eidos with some honor after the bullshit those motherfuckers have tried to pull the last couple of years.
Seppukku or layoffs for all those shits!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they'll inject Eidos with some honor after the bullshit those motherfuckers have tried to pull the last couple of years.
Seppukku or layoffs for all those shits!

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Aurelito

I'm sure the first thing that happens after the deal, (If it happens), is Canceling of Deus Ex 3 and doubling develop schedule of the next Tomb Raider. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

What the fuck?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Eidos really key to hooking the western market? Who gives a fuck about Eidos?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Tomb raiding turn based RPG, can't wait... lols.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

As far as I know...this isn't a done deal yet. I may be completely wrong though. I don't know how I feel about this either...it seems like a rather odd acquisition for Square Enix if it does go through.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai
StaticFalconar said:
"Tomb raiding turn based RPG, can't wait... lols."
Starring Lars Croft, a teenage boy with spiky hair who is destined to save the world.  Clothing and appearance will be similar to Lara's, though.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku

Square can turn Edios around

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The acquisition of a mediocre game company like Eidos will not make me want to play Final Fantasy any more than I already do. (hint: I don't want to play a FF game that has a number higher than VI in the title)

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#12  Edited By strangeling
License_To_Bill said:
"Is Eidos really key to hooking the western market? Who gives a fuck about Eidos?"
Though they may not always put them to good use, Eidos has a lot of good intellectual properties.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By atejas

If there's one company that can't do justice to the Deus Ex and Thief franchises, it's Eidos.
Oh well, it could be worse. They could have been bought by EA or something.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Pibo47
Jayge said:
"
What the fuck?"
Lol. WWhat the fuck is right.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By gunswordfist

So the buyout is not finalized yet? This is VERY shocking news. I thought they gave up trying to buy companies. I do hope they get Eidos, revived a few of its franchises like Legacy Of Kain and Fighting Force and doesn't do any of the BS tactics that Eidos has done (you all know what kinds of things I'm referring to.) and gives the Tomb Raider team the freedom to make the TR game they really want to make. Also, can someone clear this up for me. Does Eidos own the developer of Hitman, Freedom Fighters and Kane & Lynch or do they just publish their games???TeflonBilly said:

"Maybe they'll inject Eidos with some honor after the bullshit those motherfuckers have tried to pull the last couple of years.
Seppukku or layoffs for all those shits!"

Hehe I couldn't have said it better. SE needs to let some of those guys cut open their bellies slowly.

strangeling said:
"License_To_Bill said:
"Is Eidos really key to hooking the western market? Who gives a fuck about Eidos?"
Though they may not always put them to good use, Eidos has a lot of good intellectual properties."
They sure do. That's why I think this should be a great buy. If Eidos did everything right with their IPs, then they wouldn't have been brought out people.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
TeflonBilly said:
"Maybe they'll inject Eidos with some honor after the bullshit those motherfuckers have tried to pull the last couple of years.
Seppukku or layoffs for all those shits!"
lol were talking about square here...the land of rererererererererererereleases and remakes.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Eidos has come out with some good games in the past besides Tomb Raider.  Anyone remember Project Eden?  That was fun. The Tomb Raider is just the cash cow to make sure that Eidos will generate profit, but I'm sure everyone there, especially the developers, would prefer to build something else. Tomb Raider money will feed the R&D efforts of other games.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Eidos use to be a good company.  Hopefully Square will help them to make productions that aren't half assed.
Hitman is a damn good games.  I think it needs a next gen rejump.  Same with Tomb Raider.