#1 Posted by Zenogiasu (215 posts) -

It was announced today that Squenix would be releasing Final Fantasy III as a launch title for the OUYA. This also comes right on the heels of OnLive pledging their support for the Android-based console. Even after its Kickstarter did so well, I've never really bought into the vision that OUYA's been selling. The Square-Enix sponsorship in particular, however, lends a good deal of legitimacy to the project. To me, the OUYA has gone from a joke to at least something to keep on my radar. It certainly hasn't sold me yet, though.

If third-party support keeps flocking to the OUYA, would you start to give a damn?

#2 Posted by Dixavd (1472 posts) -

Square Enix has been going out of their way to put Final Fantasy III on every gaming platform around - it doesn't surprise me that they would put it on the OUYA as it isn't anything special for them to do that. The same thing goes for OnLive - their entire business model revolves around them supporting everything that they possibly can (if they had the option to somewho put their service on a microwave they would do it).

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

Square Enix has been going out of their way to put Final Fantasy III on every gaming platform around - it doesn't surprise me that they would put it on the OUYA as it isn't anything special for them to do that. The same thing goes for OnLive - their entire business model revolves around them supporting everything that they possibly can (if they had the option to somewho put their service on a microwave they would do it).

A microwave that could play games i would be more interested in than the OUYA!

#4 Posted by Zidd (1911 posts) -

its already available on android so its no work at all for them to make it available.

#5 Edited by Dagbiker (7022 posts) -

Onlive has been looking for a way to get onto a console from day one. But the Square Soft ( sorry old habit, Square Enix ) thing lends some credibility to this.

#6 Posted by FreakAche (3023 posts) -

Not really surprising. FF3 is already on most smart phones and tablets, and Ouya seems like smart-phone/tablet caliber hardware that you plug into your TV.

#7 Posted by Khann (3061 posts) -

Nope.

#8 Posted by DeadVillager (80 posts) -

So far its flagship titles are the prequel / sequel to some zombie game I've never heard of and the 3rd Final Fantasy game in a 13(+) part series. So, not really.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

You should start a Kickstarter!

#10 Posted by TheHT (12261 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@Dixavd said:

Play games while I heat up food? Good idea.

Play games in order to heat up the food? Great idea.

DON'T WIN, DON'T EAT.

#11 Posted by Karkarov (3622 posts) -

*rolls d20 to see if he gives a damn*

1 - Critical failure. -5 damn's were given.

#12 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

Nope, still waiting to be impressed.

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (5171 posts) -

I could not give less of a fuck. "Square re-releases another old game on another platform." Personally, that doesn't scream "we're taking this thing seriously" to me at all. I'm not expecting a new, numbered FF to be exclusive for the damn thing, but nothing about this is interesting to me.

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5874 posts) -

Not one bit!

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (16178 posts) -

Still don't care although I find it funny how they are all touting a very "indie" vibe to the console and then come out with this news.

#16 Posted by Nonapod (134 posts) -

I'm a bit surprised that a developer of Squenix's size is jumping on board (even if it's just with an old remake). However it doesn't change my general assessment of Ouya's chances of success.

Maybe I'll have to consume corvus in the long run though.

#17 Posted by upwarDBound (658 posts) -

It definitely helps. Now let's see Dragon Quest 1-9 show up on it.

#18 Posted by c_rakestraw (922 posts) -

Not until that console actually shows signs of getting somewhere. Maybe then I'll care.

#19 Posted by Levius (1297 posts) -

Given there is already an android version, isn't this just a cheap port of that. I'll take notice when they make a new game/port for the ouya.

#20 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@scarace360 said:

@Dixavd said:

DON'T WIN, DON'T EAT.

Now thats an idea I can throw 100$ at and be happy with.

#21 Posted by Vonocourt (2172 posts) -

Already have that game on the DS so naw.

#22 Posted by nintendoeats (6137 posts) -

That is the most token support that they possibly could have given. Regardless, they could announce Half Life 3 as an Ouya exclusive and I still wouldn't care. Sure, I'd buy one to play it, but the platform appears to be straight up inferior to the alternatives, so that's ALL I'd play on it. I don't want it in my life and real support for the platform would be an annoyance.

#23 Posted by Xymox (2144 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@scarace360 said:

I will support this project. Fuck, the thing already has some kind of way of producing sound, and a keyboard that can be used as a controller.

#24 Posted by believer258 (12681 posts) -

So... is this the actual Final Fantasy III or the SNES Final Fantasy III?

#25 Posted by Marz (5698 posts) -

@believer258 said:

japanese FF3, SNES FF3 = 6 now

#26 Posted by BrockNRolla (1725 posts) -

Ouya, home of Final Fantasy Versus XIII .

#27 Posted by believer258 (12681 posts) -

@Marz said:

@believer258 said:

I know. I'm wondering if this is Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy VI? Because I don't hear much at all about III and what I do hear is people saying "it was good for its time but it's not really these days", so why on Earth would Square pick III to put on this thing?

#28 Posted by Rattle618 (1504 posts) -

Snowballing, let´s see where this goes.

#29 Posted by Brodehouse (10476 posts) -
@believer258

@Marz said:

@believer258 said:

I know. I'm wondering if this is Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy VI? Because I don't hear much at all about III and what I do hear is people saying "it was good for its time but it's not really these days", so why on Earth would Square pick III to put on this thing?

Because they said this is the first time you can play 3 on a television; there have been multiple opportunities to play 6 on a television.
#30 Posted by believer258 (12681 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@believer258

@Marz said:

@believer258 said:

Because they said this is the first time you can play 3 on a television; there have been multiple opportunities to play 6 on a television.

Ah. That thought didn't occur to me, though I still don't see this being a big seller unless they really give it a major overhaul. Even then, it's not much to brag about.

#31 Posted by _Zombie_ (1473 posts) -

Nope.

#32 Posted by Cube (4382 posts) -

I don't.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (10476 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Brodehouse said:

@believer258

@Marz said:

@believer258 said:

Ah. That thought didn't occur to me, though I still don't see this being a big seller unless they really give it a major overhaul. Even then, it's not much to brag about.

It's nothing to brag about, Final Fantasy III is awful by modern standards. No amount of polishing is going to help when that game is as paper thin as the first one. Inventing the Job System is the only important thing about that game.

#34 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

@Xymox said:

@Ravenlight said:

@scarace360 said:

I will support this project. Fuck, the thing already has some kind of way of producing sound, and a keyboard that can be used as a controller.

So what would you play with like the keypad on the microwave or would it use a controller or a MK+B?

#35 Posted by Commisar123 (1851 posts) -

Why not FF IV? Seems like a way better idea

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@Xymox said:

@Ravenlight said:

@scarace360 said:

So what would you play with like the keypad on the microwave or would it use a controller or a MK+B?

I'd prefer support for the OUYA controller XD

#37 Posted by Dixavd (1472 posts) -

My flippant comment on OnLive and microwaves has escalate in a way I never expected.

#38 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@scarace360 said:

@Xymox said:

@Ravenlight said:

@scarace360 said:

I'd prefer support for the OUYA controller XD

To bad it's not supported!

#39 Posted by NegativeCero (3084 posts) -

Nah, it'll take a lot more to get me excited for this.

#40 Posted by Omnomnivore (2932 posts) -

Can we end all this support and rejection nonsense until the thing actually comes out. I'm not really sure, but it seems to be that people think that if they think it hard enough - it will happen. If you didn't throw your money into OUYA, what is the point in mentioning your opinion? You obviously don't want to invest in it or it's future, so thus really have a lack of hype/input. I think the title of this thread should read "IF you bought into the OUYA compaign: Does SEnix and OnLive excite you?"

#41 Posted by TehFlan (1954 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@scarace360 said:

@Dixavd said:

DON'T WIN, DON'T EAT.

Now make it a motion-controlled fitness mini-game collection. It will sell millions.

#42 Posted by fini_fly (789 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

Can we end all this support and rejection nonsense until the thing actually comes out. I'm not really sure, but it seems to be that people think that if they think it hard enough - it will happen. If you didn't throw your money into OUYA, what is the point in mentioning your opinion? You obviously don't want to invest in it or it's future, so thus really have a lack of hype/input. I think the title of this thread should read "IF you bought into the OUYA compaign: Does SEnix and OnLive excite you?"

Unfortunately the internet doesn't work this way.

#43 Posted by Slag (5446 posts) -

I'd like to see the language in that contract.

I'm going to be bet Square really hasn't committed to anything.

but hey if Ouya is legit, more power to 'em.

#44 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

@TehFlan said:

@TheHT said:

@scarace360 said:

@Dixavd said:

DON'T WIN, DON'T EAT.

Now make it a motion-controlled fitness mini-game collection. It will sell millions.

No that would ruin the whole thing the whole idea is to play games and get food fitness mini games ruin the whole thing!

#45 Posted by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

Not as much as you seem to.

#46 Posted by KevinK (217 posts) -

The OUYA is stupid and never coming out.

Even if it does come out, it'll never draw any serious support from AAA developers (whatever Robert Bowling and Square Enix say). It'll be a little Android console that five Linux nerds in the world have hooked up to their TV and use it to play SNES emulators on their big screen TVs.

And this isn't an anti-Android thing. I love Android. I have always had Android phones and I own three Android tablets. Android is a great platform with a lot of freedom for developers and consumers. The idea that people are going to pay for a underpowered Android console and that it's going to get support from major publishers and developers is absurd.

#47 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (745 posts) -

SE getting on board with FF III doesn't get me excited at all. They basically will port any old game to any new system, so this doesn't feel like a vote of support as much as making a quick buck on an unproven platform with no risk whatsoever.

#48 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3041 posts) -

The Ouya is supposed to be a system for indie devs, not a dump for Square Enix to throw its trash.