Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That seems kind of cool actually? Weird.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hope they don't muck it up. Not counting on it though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Seems like a good idea to me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

That sounds fine I guess.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they'd put in a kickstarter to stop making FFXIII-insert number here games, I'd pay big money.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Why does the crowdfunding aspect of this have to exist? Square Enix is a huge company, they could easily implement a program to support and curate indie devs without thrusting all the financial risk onto the consumers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@verendus said:

If they'd put in a kickstarter to stop making FFXIII-insert number here games, I'd pay big money.

Well that's grossly spiteful of you.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If used responsibly and without excess, this is actually kind of a cool idea for a large company like Square/Eidos, with tons of older franchises and games people would like to see re-released/remade/revisited. Again, if done responsibly, this is a trend I'd like to see visited by other large publishers for the purposes of giving fans a single place to focus their efforts when trying to get the attention of said big publisher.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think a lot of comments here regarding Square's library seem misguided - this has nothing to do with tapping their catalogue of IP's. They're just jumping into the Kickstarter pool and offering to be a quasi-independent auditor of ideas that will ensure the success of the ones that they feel have potential and public support. They certainly have the cachet to serve as that middle man from a public perception standpoint, but I wonder if they have enough experience with small games to effectively operate in the role of publisher.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Because these aren't games that would be developed internally by Square Enix. Developers just pitch to SE, and those deemed well thought enough are allowed to enter the crowdfunding phase. Square Enix is thus able to assist smaller developers without spending their own resources on development of these projects, and developers get more direct assistance in their planning and pitching than Kickstarter provides.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll: Because these aren't games that would be developed internally by Square Enix. Developers just pitch to SE, and those deemed well thought enough are allowed to enter the crowdfunding phase. Square Enix is thus able to assist smaller developers without spending their own resources on development of these projects, and developers get more direct assistance in their planning and pitching than Kickstarter provides.

But SE could still do a small developer outreach program and make their back catalog of IPs available to indie devs that have a good pitch, but instead of making the fans fund it they could do it themselves. Crowdfunding is supposed to be for small developers that can't get funding and/or publisher support, not for one of the biggest publishers in the industry to avoid taking financial risks on niche projects.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Aka, Square Enix is going to take advantage of their fans again because they'll buy anything!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Square Enix isn't taking the crowdfund pledges for themselves. They're acting as middleman and moderator.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll: Square Enix isn't taking the crowdfund pledges for themselves. They're acting as middleman and moderator.

Semantics. If the game uses their IP, is being published by them, and stands to make them money, they should be funding it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll: Why should that be the case?

Are you just trying to bait me into an argument or do you really not understand why this initiative is, for lack of better word, on the unethical side?

They are abusing crowdfunding process. They have the money to fund these projects themselves, but know with the lower budget of these projects they can sucker their fans into funding it without taking on any of the risk. Like I said before, crowdfunding exists so small developers who can't get traditional funding can go directly to the consumers and bypass publishers.

I think it's good that Square Enix wants to work with small developers, but either go all the way or don't do it. This is is tainting what crowdfunidng is supposed to be, no better than the stories people like Brad Muir have told about dreadful pitch meetings with publishers where they want some sort of proof that the game will be a success.

They are basically saying "We want to work with small developers to bring out new kinds of games and explore our back catalog, but only if we don't have to personally shoulder any of the risk."

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: And how are you an expert on Square Enix's budget? What is crowdfunding "supposed" to be? It's certainly not the idealistic creative Nirvana that some mistakenly consider it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll: And how are you an expert on Square Enix's budget? What is crowdfunding "supposed" to be? It's certainly not the idealistic creative Nirvana that some mistakenly consider it.

So they can spend so much on Tomb Raider that it's deemed a failure with 4 million copies sold, but they can't afford a small project with a budget of likely less than $1 million? You can't honestly be trying to assert that they can't afford to fund games of a kickstarter budget (like $250k to $1.5 million). And I have no idealistic notions about crowdfunding. There have been numerous cases of poor delivery and shady practices. This is one of them.

I really don't feel like continuing to talk to a wall, so either actually address what I'm saying and come up with a real counterpoint or just stop responding to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: It's not what they can or can't afford, it's what projects they're willing and able to finance versus letting the community support directly. Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general aren't just for the little guy, and the little guy has badly fucked up on more than one occasion. Like that Takedown tactical shooter that turned into a clusterfuck. Or Double Fine stretching their money too thin and cutting Broken Age in two. Square Enix is offering an alternative. That's it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why this is fundamentally a bad idea.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By Slag

This is a freaking fantastic idea.

Having an independent party vet the ability of the dev to deliver the product should hopefully give backers more protection from getting ripped off. Right now Kickstarter/indiegogo is really potentially vulnerable to scam pitches.

Hopefully they will execute it well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is kind of the part I'm excited for with kickstarter, was to see this model move to larger things. People complain about EA mucking about the production of Mass Effect in order to juice a few more sales... But what if Casey Hudson went to the public and said 'we can make this AAA game that costs 30 million dollars with absolutely no corporate oversight if 500 thousand people pre-order it for 60 bucks". Would you do it?

According to Rockstar, GTA5 cost 280 million bucks. Let's assume that's about 200 in actual production costs and the rest for marketing and events and so forth (the real number is likely way higher). Could three and a half million people pre-order it for 60 bucks and bypass corporate interests entirely? Can there be a direct developer-consumer relationship that results in comfortable salaries for the developer and a satisfaction surplus for the consumer?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer your question (since this is one of those Question Topics) not me!

And the idea here is fucking awesome.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm curious as to why. The way I see it, only games desired by fans get made, so fans get what they want, the 3rd parties developing the games make some profit so they get what they want, and if Square makes money by allowing others to use their IPs, they can funnel it into more expensive "AAA" titles that fans also want (like, the next Final Fantasy, or Tomb Raider, or whatever). Everybody wins, right?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a bit conflicted about it because it just seems like a kickstarter with less benefits because SE is slapping their name on it and i don't know if the dev will keep IP rights if making something new.

On the other hand it could bring new blood into making games and getting their name out there. It also could bring back some IPs that SE would not touch.We will see hopefully it will be a good thing but i would keep my expectations low on what comes of it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is a cool idea. Godspeed Squeenix!

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's be hilarious is the had one for VII and it flopped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Essentially this is the full scale change from games as product to games as service. It's a subtle difference, but it's the difference between buying a deck or a porch for your house, and paying a craftsman to build a deck for your house. The difference between selecting meals from a menu and hiring a chef to prepare pasta for you. Buying a painting, or hiring a painter.

It will probably cost the end user more, but it will also be more likely to give the end user exactly what they want. It's the middle step between the consumer merely selecting options that have already been created, and the consumer creating their own content for their own consumption ('if you want something done right, do it yourself').

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chrissedoff

Square Enix is just about the last publisher I would trust with my money.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they kickstarter Vagrant Story 2 I'll be all over that shit.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

this sounds like an Edios idea, it's a bit too smart for "Oh we lost the original assets to Kingdom Hearts even if we just made 2 ds games" Japan

I'd crowd fund for localize Rocket Slime for 3ds

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Oh, I thought they were actually making their own Kickstarter projects. That would be funny.