Standby Cheating

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Last night as I was playing a quick match of Gears 2 with a buddy, I was put onto a team that with a standby-er and his friend. Normally I wouldn't be surprised by standby-ing in Gears 2, (something the game is infamous for) but something really struck me about this guy. He and his friend was actually behaving like he was getting legitimate kills by lagging everyone out. He would yell out stuff like "Owned ya bitch" and "Triple Kill" and whatnot while the other team was flailing around aimlessly. The worst part is that he'd spend as much time as he could humping the opposing team while they were down, making rounds take 5 minutes or more. My friend asked him if he was even having fun doing this. Personally I think the fun in online shooters isn't the killing but the thrill of getting attacked and then trying to evade. But the thing that really made me tick is how he mocked us by saying "I don't see you guys getting any kills". I facepalmed.

So have you guys had any similar interactions with people who cheat like this in online games? Is it really getting to a point where we should get accustomed to this type of stuff?

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Last night as I was playing a quick match of Gears 2 with a buddy, I was put onto a team that with a standby-er and his friend. Normally I wouldn't be surprised by standby-ing in Gears 2, (something the game is infamous for) but something really struck me about this guy. He and his friend was actually behaving like he was getting legitimate kills by lagging everyone out. He would yell out stuff like "Owned ya bitch" and "Triple Kill" and whatnot while the other team was flailing around aimlessly. The worst part is that he'd spend as much time as he could humping the opposing team while they were down, making rounds take 5 minutes or more. My friend asked him if he was even having fun doing this. Personally I think the fun in online shooters isn't the killing but the thrill of getting attacked and then trying to evade. But the thing that really made me tick is how he mocked us by saying "I don't see you guys getting any kills". I facepalmed.

So have you guys had any similar interactions with people who cheat like this in online games? Is it really getting to a point where we should get accustomed to this type of stuff?

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HazBazz

Care to educate somebody who doesnt play online very much? Whats standby cheating all about?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By crunchUK

I have to admit i have heard of this kind of cheating but have never seen it within all my 3200 games of halo

but if you do run into nolifes...

view gamercard ------->review player --->file complaint. Get all your friends to file complaints on him in fact

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Hamz

The world of online multiplayer in consoles sounds so much more fucked up compared to the reliable PC. Seriously what you just said was like a foreign language to me. No offense :P

Care to explain to us ignorant PC gamers what you're on about?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss
HazBazz said:
"Care to educate somebody who doesnt play online very much? Whats standby cheating all about?
"
I'm not super clear on the specifics, but stand-by cheating involves tricking XBOX Live into thinking your internet connection has been severed via a "standby switch." This causes everyone else in the game to freeze in place (even though on their screen it will appear that they are moving, shooting, etc.), thereby allowing the cheater to walk up and pop heads without fear of retaliation. Is 4 PPL WHOZ CANT PLAI.

EDIT: for full disclosure I must add that it only works when you are host. If you try to stand-by while you are not host, my understanding is that the opposite of what you want to have happen, will happen. You will stand there like the retard you no doubt are, and everyone else will get a free shot at you. Again, just my understanding, but I'm fairly certain it's accurate.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Yep, every time when I play and my party gets cheated I send the children a message saying "have fun getting banned for standbying, kid" nearly all of them send me a message back saying "If we didn't bridge host and standby you guys would have" hopefully Epic comes through with the next update and actually does something about these little fucking shitheads ruing a fun game. Microsoft obviously knows about children standbying and does fuck all about it and will continue to take the money from the their parents.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
End_Boss said:
"HazBazz said:
"Care to educate somebody who doesnt play online very much? Whats standby cheating all about?
"
I'm not super clear on the specifics, but stand-by cheating involves tricking XBOX Live into thinking your internet connection has been severed via a "standby switch." This causes everyone else in the game to freeze in place (even though on their screen it will appear that they are moving, shooting, etc.), thereby allowing the cheater to walk up and pop heads without fear of retaliation. Is 4 PPL WHOZ CANT PLAI."
Basically what he said. I think it only works in games in which players rely on a "host" connection. Gears 1 had something that prevented this (a little pop-up that said connection interrupted that halted every player in the game) but so far Gears 2 has no measures to stop this

When you're playing, the way you can tell somebody is standby-ing is (1) you can shoot but your ammo doesn't deplete, (2) other enemies look like they are running in straight lines into walls, or (3) the game freezes altogether until the end of the round.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By crunchUK
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"End_Boss said:
"HazBazz said:
"
I'm not super clear on the specifics, but stand-by cheating involves tricking XBOX Live into thinking your internet connection has been severed via a "standby switch." This causes everyone else in the game to freeze in place (even though on their screen it will appear that they are moving, shooting, etc.), thereby allowing the cheater to walk up and pop heads without fear of retaliation. Is 4 PPL WHOZ CANT PLAI."
Basically what he said. I think it only works in games in which players rely on a "host" connection. Gears 1 had something that prevented this (a little pop-up that said connection interrupted that halted every player in the game) but so far Gears 2 has no measures to stop this. When you're playing, the way you can tell somebody is standby-ing is (1) you can shoot, but your ammo doesn't deplete, (2) other enemies look like they are running in straight lines into walls, or (3) the game freezes altogether until the end of the round.
"
Sometimes that's just ordinary lag btw. In fact they pretty much always are.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
crunchUK said:
"OneEyedNinja7 said:
"End_Boss said:
"HazBazz said:
"
Basically what he said. I think it only works in games in which players rely on a "host" connection. Gears 1 had something that prevented this (a little pop-up that said connection interrupted that halted every player in the game) but so far Gears 2 has no measures to stop this. When you're playing, the way you can tell somebody is standby-ing is (1) you can shoot, but your ammo doesn't deplete, (2) other enemies look like they are running in straight lines into walls, or (3) the game freezes altogether until the end of the round.
"
"
Well you can tell it's NOT just ordinary lag when one guy ends up getting all the kills that round.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By End_Boss
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"crunchUK said:
"OneEyedNinja7 said:
"End_Boss said:
"HazBazz said:
"
"
"
Well you can tell it's NOT just ordinary lag when one guy ends up getting all the kills that round.
"
What he said.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
Hamz said:
"The world of online multiplayer in consoles sounds so much more fucked up compared to the reliable PC. Seriously what you just said was like a foreign language to me. No offense :P

Care to explain to us ignorant PC gamers what you're on about?
"
 A handful of console online games will allow you to put your broadband modem on standby, thus not allowing any bandwidth through.  If you're the host this means you'll be able to move around and shoot other players before turning standby off again.  I know lots of people got banned from Halo 2 for this, lots of newer games can detect this more easily, but Gears 2 has had bad online play problems.

Every MP PC game has aimbots and wallhacks available.  I don't know if that's what you're talking about though.