Star Wars: The Old Republic VS. WoW

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ldhudsonjr

I know its a bit early yet, but what are you're predictions and impressions from the information available now?
  Please keep it to facts and well thought out ideas, no "WoW IZ TEH BEST 4ND NO GAME WILL EVER BEET IT"   

My personal opinion changes from time to time.  Based on some of the feedback I've gotten from people on wow, it seems as if there are a good number of people who are loyal to that game, but I can't imagine that a game with Bioware at the helm, and with such a powerfull license, can't at least put up a showing similar to what WoW has.  What do you think?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

I have mixed feelings on it. The reason why WoW is good is because they keep adding and changing things around to appease the new audience. With Bioware running this Star Wars MMO, it sounds like they know what their doing because of their previous Knights of the Old Republics. From what we all know, Bioware knows how to make a really good single player game. We're looking at a multiplayer game coming into the picture. This is Biowares first time on an MMO. We don't know what they're going to throw at us until somebody can tell us how the beta is. Not only that, the previous Star Wars MMO failed big time. 

I know it's hard to understand what I'm saying, but I want this game to succeed. I really do. Let's just hope that it will stand against WoW and hopefully get enough subscribers to stay alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm much more excited about Cataclysm because it's basically World of Warcraft 2. But I imagine that's probably because it's much more close to release than The Old Republic. I'm sure I'll be on the TOR hype train when it gets a little closer and there's more information available. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

I've heard that a lot of WoW players will be checking the game out. I have hope for it to be good.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

We know nothing about the star wars MMO. All we have seen as of late are CGI trailers which have nothing to do with gameplay. 

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dystonym
@The_Laughing_Man: There's been two or three fairly long gameplay demo's though. 

I didn't like WoW because I found the gameplay to be incredibly boring. It's also the same with the majority of MMO's that I have tried. The only one that sucked me in was Guild Wars, not sure why. Even though TOR has the same gameplay has WoW I think I am quite a bit more interested because of the setting, I'm a huge sci-fi nerd.
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joshakazam

You know, everytime i see OP's icon i think of Dick_Viper.

You are not the Viper.

I am dissapoint.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Murdouken said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: There's been two or three fairly long gameplay demo's though.  I didn't like WoW because I found the gameplay to be incredibly boring. It's also the same with the majority of MMO's that I have tried. The only one that sucked me in was Guild Wars, not sure why. Even though TOR has the same gameplay has WoW I think I am quite a bit more interested because of the setting, I'm a huge sci-fi nerd. "
And what I saw in them I was not impressed. 
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mazik765

I think both will be great games for their own audiences.

Katsumoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Katsumoto

Well, let me start by saying that I am going to dive with both feet in with TOR. I loved the 2 other games, as well as any other Bioware game that I have ever played. Bioware has yet to let me down with a game.  

As well, I played WoW for about 3-4 years on an on-and-off basis. When I was on, I was pretty hardcore about it, with server-leading PvE raid progression and decent enough PvP arena ratings. 

But back to the topic. TOR is not a WoW killer. There is no such thing as a WoW killer, nor will there ever be. The only thing that can "kill" WoW is natural time. I can honestly say that WoW is the pinnacle of MMORPG's, and I do not believe that there is a "next step" that can kill it (like how WoW "killed" Everquest, for instance). I do however think that the game will be incredible, and will divide the fanbase of MMO players.  

With other MMO releases, Blizzard has schrewdly placed a new expansion or a large patch right after the previous game's launch, drawing the crowd of players back from the other game that has just come out. In the MMO world, I feel that many, many players do not want to start from scratch, and would rather play with a character that they have already built. In this regard, WoW has had a huge advantage over any other released MMO. Most players get to say, level 20 in the new MMO, and then say "Screw this. I want to play with my level 80 Mage that I poured 100's of hours into.", and then go back. 

However, Cataclysm is coming out before TOR launches in the Spring/Summer of 2011. Maybe Bioware can come out running with their game, just when the polish starts to ware on Cataclysm. 

Maybe we will see some MMO wars, which is probably a great thing for the players. 2 companies trying to win us over? Count me in.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm excited for Star Wars Old Republic, getting it day one, but I can't say it's better or worse because its not out yet. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Daveyo520

I am so looking foreword to The Old Republic way more that I ever did for WoW.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ldhudsonjr
@The_Laughing_Man:   Not true, there is gameplay to be found, though admittedly in smaller doses than most of us would probably like.   From the gameplay demonstrations I've seen, it looks fairly similar to WoW.  Besides that point however, I know it's to early to have a real meaty conversation about it, but whats it going to hurt to try?
ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ldhudsonjr
@Katsumoto:  Very nice and well thought out reply!  I agree with you almost 100%.  The only thing is I've been playing WoW on and off since the day it came out, and it was a great game then, still a great game now.   But the advantage that TOR has over WoW I believe, even before it comes out, is that it's new.  It looks to me as if it will provide a similar expierience, but with new ideas.   I have spent a lot of time on my WoW characters, but I'm certainly not going to mourn for them after I say goodbye to that game for good, you know?  TOR will not kill WoW, in fact I know many people who plan to continue doing the same raids for years to come.  But I'm sure that there are also many people who only still play WoW because it's the best MMO available, and will be happy for something new to come along.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DystopiaX
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" We know nothing about the star wars MMO. All we have seen as of late are CGI trailers which have nothing to do with gameplay.  "
And i've said it before, it's the only reason I support that game. And by support I mean hope it's delayed another 3-5 years so like 15 more of them bitches will come out.
otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By otzlowe

... It looks pretty much exactly the same. All of what I've seen so far indicates that it's WoW with less classes, voice overs, and lightsabers. 

To be fair, as much as I like KoTOR and BioWare, I basically am getting the feeling that if you played WoW and got bored, you've basically been around the block in TOR as well.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh, its not going to be a new Star Wars Galaxies (before it went bad) and that sorta disappoints me. My big fear is that they are drawing way too heavily on the Clone Wars style of Star Wars in terms of art and model design, and I don't like that because it ruins what made KOTOR so unique and I fucking hate anything prequel related.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ldhudsonjr
@Otzlowe said:
" ... It looks pretty much exactly the same. All of what I've seen so far indicates that it's WoW with less classes, voice overs, and lightsabers.  To be fair, as much as I like KoTOR and BioWare, I basically am getting the feeling that if you played WoW and got bored, you've basically been around the block in TOR as well. "
You also have to remember that they are releasing class information, combat information, and such very slowly.  I mean the video that's floating around now of the 5 man grouping is the first REAL example we have seen of that game.  Also, Dallas Dickerson hinted at their being more classes revealed at a later time.  I deffinetly see where you are coming from, but just the differences between this game and WoW that have been revealed are significant.  (IE More story, companion charactors, fully voiced.)   It does look like WoW, but I would also say it looks like KOTOR, which was awesome.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@ldhudsonjr said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:   Not true, there is gameplay to be found, though admittedly in smaller doses than most of us would probably like.   From the gameplay demonstrations I've seen, it looks fairly similar to WoW.  Besides that point however, I know it's to early to have a real meaty conversation about it, but whats it going to hurt to try? "
Tell me what you truly know about the game. Aside from classes. We know nothing a bout the game that can be used to judge it. 
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@The_Laughing_Man: 

Yup, we know a little, but not enough to pass judgement.

My inner fangirl goes mental about Star Wars, Bioware, The Old Republic setting tho, so combined that's all the more reason for me to support SWTOR.
I'd say tho, let WoW rule the orcs and knights (and spacegoats) setting, let SWTOR rule the future!
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

I played WoW for a week and I hated it. I think TOR will do well.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:   Yup, we know a little, but not enough to pass judgement.  My inner fangirl goes mental about Star Wars, Bioware, The Old Republic setting tho, so combined that's all the more reason for me to support SWTOR. I'd say tho, let WoW rule the orcs and knights (and spacegoats) setting, let SWTOR rule the future! "
That is what I am saying. It looks like a re skinned WoW. And I can not help but say OP might be a star wars fanboy. (No offense) That is what happened with STO. People where so excited it was a Star Trek mmo they wasted their money and ran into a half finished MMO. And this is even worse. ALL trailers they have had look like stuff from a high level CGI movie. In fact. You could show those  you a person and chances are they would think its a new star wars movie. They have told us next to nothing about the game aside from a few classes and " Hey look you get your own ship" 
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Bioware made this?  The same Bioware that made Mass Effect and Dragon's Age?  Those were the glitchest games out there.  The end for my ME2 and Origins was ruined because something glitched.  In ME2 the audio stopped and shepherd disappeared. No way am I playing a MMO RPG made or run by those incompetent last gen devs.  

WoW is what is because of Blizzard.  Period.   They dont rush, they perfect. 

Nothing can and will compete with WoW.  Until someone makes a next gen MMO-RPG.  Bioware is just trying to bank on the fanbase established by their other failed mmo. 

But if your looking for the new flavour of the month, then by all means join in.  Just don't expect it to ever be what WoW is or ever was.  Expect Hellgate london, expect WAR, expect another attempt to sell subscriptions by reselling a title.  This will not be the game that was. 

Man... I bet Lucas doesn't even let them use the good lore.  I bet they use the shitty new stories from that cartoon.  Makes me feel bad for Star Wars fans because they have to settle on this.  Just like LOTRs fans did.  

No Caption Provided
fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fixerofdeath
@SoothsayerGB:  Wtf? The stories from the cartoon? That abomination was set during the clone wars, this is set during The Old Republic, hence the title. Do you even have a clue what you're ranting about?
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlasherMan

From what I've seen so far, TOR is looking to be a big disappointment to me.
I was hoping for a change in the usual MMO mechanics, but it seems like it's just another typical MMO with a different theme.

But, we'll see. The judgement is not yet final.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
@SoothsayerGB:   There is a "prequels" Star Wars MMO based on the Clone Wars cartoon coming, but it's going to be a free-to-play game from Sony.  Rumor has it, the game will be similar to SOE's successful Free Realms and it's target audience will be the t'ween crowd.  SWTOR and Bioware/EA will have nothing to do with that game. 

I'm more interested in The Old Republic because (a) l really loved KOTOR and (b) I am tired of fantasy settings in MMO worlds.  If (sadly) SWTOR doesn't live up to its pedigree then I am going to have to wait for the Warhammer 40K MMO in 2013.  I have no interest in sci-fi games where you are the ship.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By dagas

Doll Monkey Vs. Monkey Doll

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zityz

I'm hoping it will do well myself. I'm a fan of Bioware and star wars. I'll try it but I'm sure besides from a story stand point, gameplay mechanics will seam much simular to a lot of popular MMO out now. I myself however will mostly be spending a lot of time with Guild Wars 2. Simply because from what they've shown looks amazing. Also bar fights, you can start a fight in a bar, and that's awesome.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Bioware needs to stop making the MMO and just make their little CGI movie its apparent they wanna make. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust

1Z G01NZ T0 B TH3 SH1TZ!!!! TOR FTW!!!! BEZT MMO 1N WO3LD!!!! 

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zimbo
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" Bioware needs to stop making the MMO and just make their little CGI movie its apparent they wanna make.  "

Bioware doesn't even make their CGI trailers. They are outsourced to another company.

So many gamers bitch these days about things before actually researching them. I find it really annoying. (Not necessarily talking to you The_Laughing_Man) I think there is a thread on the Bioware forums that details a lot of stuff that will be in TOR. I will try and find it.

Here it is 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Zimbo said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" Bioware needs to stop making the MMO and just make their little CGI movie its apparent they wanna make.  "

Bioware doesn't even make their CGI trailers. They are outsourced to another company.

So many gamers bitch these days about things before actually researching them. I find it really annoying. (Not necessarily talking to you The_Laughing_Man) I think there is a thread on the Bioware forums that details a lot of stuff that will be in TOR. I will try and find it.

"
You know  what I mean. They are showing no gameplay and just these CGI trailers that tell us nothing. 
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan
@The_Laughing_Man: Indeed, and I find that quite telling of how confident they are in the game itself so far... which is not much.

Though to be fair, there are some gameplay videos and a pretty recent one too that shows some "multiplayer" combat (yes, they called it multiplayer combat... in an MMO... where this thing shouldn't have to be touted as a feature). It was the usual tank, spank and heal stuff.
otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By otzlowe
@ldhudsonjr said:
" @Otzlowe said:
" ... It looks pretty much exactly the same. All of what I've seen so far indicates that it's WoW with less classes, voice overs, and lightsabers.  To be fair, as much as I like KoTOR and BioWare, I basically am getting the feeling that if you played WoW and got bored, you've basically been around the block in TOR as well. "
You also have to remember that they are releasing class information, combat information, and such very slowly.  I mean the video that's floating around now of the 5 man grouping is the first REAL example we have seen of that game.  Also, Dallas Dickerson hinted at their being more classes revealed at a later time.  I deffinetly see where you are coming from, but just the differences between this game and WoW that have been revealed are significant.  (IE More story, companion charactors, fully voiced.)   It does look like WoW, but I would also say it looks like KOTOR, which was awesome. "

I know, and I want it to be better than WoW, but for as much as the BioWare devs say that they're "innovating," I'm not seeing much that's new beyond having a fully voiced game. I think that the WoW formula works well, it's fun, and it appeals to a large audience, but I also don't really know if that's what I personally want to be playing. Of course, this is totally based on me, and has no bearing on what the quality of the game will be like. 

I just don't know how much longer the idea of running around with a handful of other guys inside what is essentially a dungeon, with a formulaic group composition is really what will sustain me, and to a larger degree, a broader audience. The reason why people criticize games like WAR is because, even though they started off better than WoW did in its hayday, it isn't as good as WoW is now, and doesn't offer much that's new... so no one sees a point in sticking around. 
And all the people who like playing WoW happen to play WoW, and most of the time if they quit for a WoW clone, they're waiting for something to pull them back. 

I really want it to be good, and I want them to have something in their gameplay (there's too much game in an MMO to be completely overshadowed by a story, but if they manage it, more power to them) that actually makes me want to play it and not all the other games that happen to be very much like it. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like TOR is necessarily doing that. 
ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ldhudsonjr
@The_Laughing_Man:  I do like star wars, but come on man...this is a friendly conversation, if you don't think there is enough info to pass judgement on the game then you can't either...calm down
Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As I have said in like 50 different threads, every single mmo ships buggy and unfinished, this was true for WoW aswell. But at the time there was no competition (EQ2 lol) so people stuck with it, but now you are expecting costumers to stick with a unfinished product while paying monthly for it no less, instead of just playing a game that is highly polished and functional for the same price. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By CL60
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" As I have said in like 50 different threads, every single mmo ships buggy and unfinished, this was true for WoW aswell. But at the time there was no competition (EQ2 lol) so people stuck with it, but now you are expecting costumers to stick with a unfinished product while paying monthly for it no less, instead of just playing a game that is highly polished and functional for the same price.  "
Nobody seems to understand this these days. WoW actually barely even worked when it came out.
ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ldhudsonjr

Alright guys...honestly...this is really not something to start arguing about.   My personal idea on the matter is that WoW will continue going strong, but TOR will deffinetly have a following.  I don't think that's a crazy prediction

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By demontium

Better thread title: Kotor 3 vs. The Old Republic. 

I still cannot believe this is gonna be an mmo.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@demontium said:
"

"
Needs more Jedi Knight.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By demontium
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @demontium said:
"

"
Needs more Jedi Knight. "
Now we're fucking talking.
Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Interfect

I am very excite for TOR.

Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie
@The_Laughing_Man: 
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33345
Every little bit of information on SWTOR so far. I have to say if you really want to learn more about a game you should check out it's forums. Also lets not forget there's a closed beta coming up.