Posted by HonoredSamurai (106 posts) -

So apparently we have endeavoured into meta here at Giant Bomb, thus compelling me to rejoin the blogosphere in chiming in my 2 cents. Greetings travellers, my name is Sunny S. and I'll be happy to share my trials and tribulations throughout the next however many adventures we embark on together through gaming and glory. I remember when I started playing games as a child, my uncle never let up on kicking my ass in Street Fighter 2..... Blargh! I digress, my gaming picked up really when the play station and N64 were at their peak, and I was the king amongst my peers in GoldenEye and  Perfect Dark..... I'm digressing too far back just purely for name drops. Let's fast forward at least to the halcyon days of high school, when Halo and Halo 2 had been popularized and I had endeavoured towards my aspiration of becoming a doctor. Friends were abundant, games were affordable, and piracy, or as I call it ,the freedom of information, had just blossomed onto the internet. College perpetuated this trend and I grew to embrace a wide variety of research opportunities, jobs, community work, bands, fraternity life, journalism, etc.. Furthermore, I got to continue my hardy passions of loving all things tech, anime, and gaming. I reiterate, those were golden times among golden people.  Thus far, I have succeeded in earning a Magna Cum Laude B.S. degree  in Biochemistry at Illinois Tech, and have moved forward into Medical School across the waters of my home country to Newcastle, UK  for a Global Scholars program. The rigours of med school have strained all aspects of my life, severely hampering every activity not related to my studies. It has been the most challenging step in my life thus far, balancing my work with my gaming needs. Literally, no one at this program plays games except yours truly, and costs for gaming are significantly greater, as importing titles that are region coded, and just prices here for games that are not, can be quite a hit in the wallet. These challenges, while daunting, do not impair me to play, so much as they impair me to play at my best. I no longer have a dedicated team for Halo 3 , ODST, or Battlefield, and thus am "lone wolfing" everything. It almost feels like my gaming style has come to emulate my lifestyle at school, as I often study alone as well. Nevertheless, I am confident that both my disposition and  teetering grades will improve due to the support of close family and friends. Gaming will always have a place in my heart, and I feel like the passions that have developed within me are greatly reflected in the peeps that comprise the bulk of the user-base here. This place really gets to the deepest analysis and love that drives gamers, and I feel like it's the best locale for me to express myself and voice my concerns.  I'm embarking on this journey to find my balance again, the balance that was lost upon reaching this new tier of study, as I aim to reconcile my social life with my work life, and thus attain true happiness. Enjoy the Ride.

#1 Posted by HonoredSamurai (106 posts) -

So apparently we have endeavoured into meta here at Giant Bomb, thus compelling me to rejoin the blogosphere in chiming in my 2 cents. Greetings travellers, my name is Sunny S. and I'll be happy to share my trials and tribulations throughout the next however many adventures we embark on together through gaming and glory. I remember when I started playing games as a child, my uncle never let up on kicking my ass in Street Fighter 2..... Blargh! I digress, my gaming picked up really when the play station and N64 were at their peak, and I was the king amongst my peers in GoldenEye and  Perfect Dark..... I'm digressing too far back just purely for name drops. Let's fast forward at least to the halcyon days of high school, when Halo and Halo 2 had been popularized and I had endeavoured towards my aspiration of becoming a doctor. Friends were abundant, games were affordable, and piracy, or as I call it ,the freedom of information, had just blossomed onto the internet. College perpetuated this trend and I grew to embrace a wide variety of research opportunities, jobs, community work, bands, fraternity life, journalism, etc.. Furthermore, I got to continue my hardy passions of loving all things tech, anime, and gaming. I reiterate, those were golden times among golden people.  Thus far, I have succeeded in earning a Magna Cum Laude B.S. degree  in Biochemistry at Illinois Tech, and have moved forward into Medical School across the waters of my home country to Newcastle, UK  for a Global Scholars program. The rigours of med school have strained all aspects of my life, severely hampering every activity not related to my studies. It has been the most challenging step in my life thus far, balancing my work with my gaming needs. Literally, no one at this program plays games except yours truly, and costs for gaming are significantly greater, as importing titles that are region coded, and just prices here for games that are not, can be quite a hit in the wallet. These challenges, while daunting, do not impair me to play, so much as they impair me to play at my best. I no longer have a dedicated team for Halo 3 , ODST, or Battlefield, and thus am "lone wolfing" everything. It almost feels like my gaming style has come to emulate my lifestyle at school, as I often study alone as well. Nevertheless, I am confident that both my disposition and  teetering grades will improve due to the support of close family and friends. Gaming will always have a place in my heart, and I feel like the passions that have developed within me are greatly reflected in the peeps that comprise the bulk of the user-base here. This place really gets to the deepest analysis and love that drives gamers, and I feel like it's the best locale for me to express myself and voice my concerns.  I'm embarking on this journey to find my balance again, the balance that was lost upon reaching this new tier of study, as I aim to reconcile my social life with my work life, and thus attain true happiness. Enjoy the Ride.

#2 Posted by SteepInKline (157 posts) -

Glad to have you aboard!

#3 Edited by John_Bender (99 posts) -

Sure you'll get a new crew here at the bomb, just ask around. Welcome and have fun here.

#4 Posted by Keeng (998 posts) -

As someone in a somewhat similar position, I would be glad to hear about your misadventures. Welcome and glad to have you aboard, sir.