#1 Edited by DukeT (119 posts) -

As of late, I find myself replaying some of my favorite RPGs of the last couple years. Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, etc. Obviously replaying an RPG is a huge undertaking and can get to be a bit of a bore; especially if you're like me and you like to do a lot of the side-content on your first playthrough.

I find myself wishing for a good Bioware or Bethesda release lately. I'll just say that upfront, because regardless of how great everyone thinks Skyrim is--which I agree to- playing the lackluster DLC isn't quite giving me that good RPG fix I've been craving. I've looked into that Falskaar mod it seems everyone is raving about, and I'll probably get to playing that eventually, I've just seen my fair share of Skyrim and the way it plays. (100+ hours? Yeah, I'm burnt)

However, I'm just looking for a good bit of advice on what I should play. I like a good story, good characters, and I'm willing to overlook a bit of generic combat for that. Anyone know of any excellent single player RPG's worth picking up at a bargain bin that I may have missed?

Or should I just say screw the consensus and go buy a copy of Dragon Age 2?

Edit: For conversation sake, and to avoid repetition, I'll list off a few I have played. Witcher series, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Borderlands. There are others of course, but these are the big ones I can remember.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

Some people like Dragon Age 2 a whole lot, and it seems like its strengths largely lie in the story and characters. And, from what I've heard (and played), it has some pretty generic and tiresome combat. So, yeah, that might be a good place to start.

Planescape Torment seems to be one of those games that has suddenly become a revered cult classic over the past few years. Again, bad combat, but everyone who has finished it considers the writing brilliant.

Have you played Fallout New Vegas? It's much better written than Fallout 3 and has passable combat to boot!

#3 Posted by DukeT (119 posts) -

Yeah I've played the Fallout games and a bit of their DLC. Good stuff there. I guess I'll check out Dragon Age 2 for curiosity's sake, and because I'm sure its dirt cheap now.

I'll give Planescape Torment a looking into though. I don't prefer bad combat, but I'm willing to overlook it most of the time.

#4 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Since you have not mention the witcher series have you ever played it? It is a fantastic RPG experience and should be played by every RPG out there. The Witcher 1 has a rather old system so If you are not keen on this go straight to the Witcher 2 and try get into the world first. You will not regret it.

Oh and whatever you do. Do not waste time or money on Dragon Age 2. It is really not worth it.

#5 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

I have you played The Witcher 2? I could just type Witcher 2 over and over again, but I guess I'll just suggest playing The Witcher 2.

#6 Edited by DukeT (119 posts) -

Yep. Played Witcher 2. Fantastic game, really great. If I had to give an example of what I was looking for, I would say its perfect. If only the Witcher 3 weren't so far away, huh?

@oldenglishc @darji

#7 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

Rage?

#8 Edited by DukeT (119 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

Rage?

Heard some really bad stuff about Rage. Not really interested. Looks pretty but... nah.

#9 Posted by JazzyJeff (399 posts) -

Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Two Worlds 2, Lost Odyssey,

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@duket said:

Yep. Played Witcher 2. Fantastic game, really great. If I had to give an example of what I was looking for, I would say its perfect. If only the Witcher 3 weren't so far away, huh?

@oldenglishc

@darji

would be easier with a list of games you have played.^^

How about Alpha protocol? The combat is decent if you do not play it like a cover shooter but more like a turn based RPG and the story and the choices you do are pretty good. as well. I really enjoyed that game^^

As for Rage: Rage is a shooter not a RPg.

#11 Posted by Tesla (1916 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Ni No Kuni if you like jrpgs.

#12 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5367 posts) -

System Shock 2

#13 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@tesla: Damn forgot about Deus Ex Human revolution. Go play that as well^^

As for JRPGs: Tales of Xillia comes out next week and its pretty good.

#14 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3154 posts) -

I for one loved Dragon Age 2 but I'd seriously recommend and wait for it to go on sale, so let's say less than 8 bucks. It's happened before.

#15 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

Shadowrun Returns

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Don't support the travesty that is Dragon Age 2. I took a scan down my Steam library and the below is what came up. Maybe take a look over at Good Old Games and pick up an old RPG you may have missed.

• Shadowrun Returns
  • Vampire: The Masquerade
  • Titan Quest
  • Dawn of War 2 is basically an action RPG so that might hit the spot for ya.
  • The Divinity series
  • Freedom Force
  • The Gothic series
  • Kings Bounty series
  • The Last Remnant
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • Sacred 2
  • Silverfall
#17 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

Some people like Dragon Age 2 a whole lot, and it seems like its strengths largely lie in the story and characters. And, from what I've heard (and played), it has some pretty generic and tiresome combat. So, yeah, that might be a good place to start.

BULLSHIT!

Id recommend FFXIII before Dragon Age 2.

I say try Deus Ex out if you haven't, its pretty good.

and if you have a WiiU, there's always Earthbound.

#18 Posted by Veektarius (4745 posts) -

No one ever talks about these games here, but the Drakensang RPGs are totally serviceable but will cost you about $20 and rarely go on sale. I would recommend going with the second in the series, the River of Time. Just go in expecting a game that's stronger on gameplay than story.

#19 Posted by Zlimness (549 posts) -

Which Fallout game did you play? All of them? If you haven't played Fallout 2 or New Vegas, gettonit. Anyway, here's a few I recommend:

Alpha Protocol

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (Definitely play Baldur's Gate if you enjoyed DA:O)

Arcanum

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Planescape Torment

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

Bard's Tale

The Temple of Elemental Evil

Pool of Radiance

KOTOR 1 and 2

Nox (Fuck off. Nox is great)

Ok, that's like 4000 hours worth of game time right there. If you only have time for one game, definitely play Baldur's Gate. If you haven't played Fallout 2, play that instead.

#20 Edited by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I can think of two you might like off the top of my head (other than the Witcher series which has already been mentioned and probably hits the closest to the mark as for what you're asking for)

Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all times. Especially with the conclusion it gets with its expansion, Throne of Bhaal, it tells an awesome, sweeping story, has some great characters, and will keep you occupied for a while. It's honestly not a bad idea to jump in at 2 if you haven't played 1, the stuff you miss gets explained pretty quickly and besides a few returning characters and one major plot point, 2 doesn't really build off of 1. Combat in the infinity engine games is actually really good and given that you have a party of up to 6 people to deal with, it can wind up being really tactical, especially in the harder fights. Throne of Bhaal especially loves throwing some really nasty boss fights at you that demand careful planning.

Icewind Dale 2 is another great one. While it doesn't get the praise its Bioware developed cousin does, IWD2 might actually be more fun. Where the BG games are very character/story driven, the IWD games are straight up dungeon crawls. There's no main character, just an entire party you create then pit against just about everything worth XP in the Forgotten Realms. One other big difference between the two is that IWD2 uses a newer edition of the Dungeons and Dragons rules (3rd edition, as opposed to BG2's AD&D rules), which I like quite a bit better.

I just finished playing through the whole BG series and am starting up on IWD2 myself. The games really have aged well and are still tons of fun today.

Edit: How did I not mention Human Revolution! Go play Human Revolution.

#21 Posted by kaos_cracker (577 posts) -

Ni Nu Kuni?

#22 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -

@duket said:

Yeah I've played the Fallout games and a bit of their DLC. Good stuff there. I guess I'll check out Dragon Age 2 for curiosity's sake, and because I'm sure its dirt cheap now.

I'll give Planescape Torment a looking into though. I don't prefer bad combat, but I'm willing to overlook it most of the time.

I finished planescape torment for the very first time 3 days ago and it was my first infinity engine game and I must say it totally blew me away in terms of the story and how well it's written. The gameplay is really below par compared to a game like Icewind Dale 2 (which I'm playing now) however.

#23 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2231 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is alright.

#24 Posted by Corvak (974 posts) -

Elder Scrolls in general is a series I love, but also don't play in massive chunks. 20 hours here and there, usually. I liked the Skyrim DLC, but for the most part, I didn't play Skyrim between them, and avoided a lot of the burnout.

Another vote for Deus Ex: Human Revolution from me.

If you like strategy RPGs I will suggest Fire Emblem: Awakening on 3DS.

#25 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I would say that Dragon Age 2 is probably Bioware's most tightly edited game, just in terms of dialogue. It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed it, there is rarely any filler or lethargic dialogue. So yeah, I would recommend that you try it out; it's always entertaining and the characters are fantastic. I actually enjoyed the combat, but I played it on the PC and there are mods that remove the class and armor limitations that are imposed on your companions, so I had complete control over everything.

Edit: +1 for Deus Ex: Human Revolution here as well. Both Dragon Age 2 and Human Revolution are about 30-40 hours, so they're not going to be a gigantic time sink.

#26 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Dark Chronicle.

It just so happens to be the best game ever made, and an RPG.

Whodathunkit?

#27 Posted by SilentPredator (129 posts) -

Dragon Age II and Alpha Protocol are both flawed games, but are worth playing (especially since both should be pretty cheap at this point). Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur have enjoyable combat and are pretty lengthy.

#28 Edited by Scampbell (496 posts) -

If you like old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Planscape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura I would really recommend the Eschalon games. More than any other RPG they capture the feel of the old games. Not that it is mechanically similar to any one of them but borrows a bit from each. There are no classes you just choose the skills you like.

They are obviously made on a much smaller budget, but for some reason that I can't really pinpoint, they are the RPGs I've enjoyed the most in recent time. Currently Book 1 and 2 are out and the last part should be out very shortly.

#29 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@icicle7x3 said:

@believer258 said:

BULLSHIT!

Id recommend FFXIII before Dragon Age 2.

I say try Deus Ex out if you haven't, its pretty good.

and if you have a WiiU, there's always Earthbound.

Relax, it was just a suggestion. Besides, he has already said that he was interested in it.

I finally got around to playing some of FFXIII. It isn't that bad. In fact, it's good. Isn't going to blow you out of the water, but it's not the mess that a lot of the backlash made it out to be.

@duket said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Rage?

Heard some really bad stuff about Rage. Not really interested. Looks pretty but... nah.

Rage is not an RPG in the least. Why would you even suggest that?

Rage has its good points. I was actually just talking about it here. I guess it's kind of like FFXIII, people were expecting it to be the next masterful innovation in shooters like Doom 3 Quake 3 was, and instead it was just a solid FPS. If you like shooters, get it on sale for five bucks. At the very least, it's five bucks for a visual treat that runs butter-smooth and animates wonderfully, and at most it's that and a good shooter with a shitty story, some meh racing parts, and set in a desert that gets bland after a while.

#30 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 2, finished again just recently, holds really well.

Fallout 2

Gothic 2

knights of the old republic

knights of the old republic 2

and 2

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Dragon Age II is fine, for as much as it has been vilified. Not a masterpiece, but it has some pretty great character and story bits between all of the identical environments and wave-based enemy encounters that make positioning your characters a nightmare. I'd rather play it again than Jade Empire, that's for sure. Maybe I will... right after I replay Origins.

If you want something with a bit more of a bethesda bent, Amalur and Dragon's Dogma are two combat-oriented open-world RPGs that are as different as two games with those descriptors can be. I think Amalur is pretty good and I love Dragon's Dogma, but both of those games have their problems, so your mileage may vary.

But really, let's be honest: most of what you want came out before 2004. Baldur's Gate 2 is still fantastic, as is Planescape. I have a soft spot in my heart for Temple of Elemental Evil, but that game is also 15 hours long and absurdly hard, so maybe not what you're looking for. Arcanum, maybe? That game is alright, despite the numerous ways you can permanently gimp your character if you don't allocate your stats correctly.

#32 Edited by Briggs713 (216 posts) -

@duket: I just finished playing Dark Souls and Demon Souls, which I found very enjoyable (I wrote a blog recently if you want my take on it). While I take issue with some stuff in Dragon Age 2, if you're stuck for something to play I recommend it. While I played Dragon Age three times to completion, I only played Dragon Age 2 once. It feels like a rushed game, but I found enough to like about it. Relative to the review scale, I'd call the original Dragon Age a 5 and Dragon Age 2 a 3. Edit: Also, I really dug Kingdoms of Amalur.

#34 Posted by SomberOwl (649 posts) -
#35 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

Two different styles but two games I really, really enjoyed were Deux Ex: Human Revolution, and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

#36 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

@duket: As for Rage, it's a good single player shooter with a little bit of variety in crafting some of the gear you use but not really that much of an RPG.

For good RPGs with some length to it, here's a few to look at: Torchlight 2, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, Two Worlds 2 (more of an average RPG but with tons of length/variety to it), Shadowrun Returns (not too long but with an editor & mod support could get lengthy later), Deus Ex Human Revolution, Grotesque Tactics I & II as well as Kingdoms of Amalur. Might think of more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

#37 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

I really loved dragon age, baldur's gate, and fallout games. i just picked up witcher 1/2 in steam sale and plan on getting started with them soon. I might also direct you to the current humble bundle which is all deep silver games. I loved saints row 2/3 and all ready have them for ps3 but also included is risen 2 and sacred 2, which I haven't played either before. So if you have $10 bucks to spare get the current humble bundle and you like me will end up with 2 random new games to try and tons of fun with saints row.

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Alpha Protocol.

Dragon Age: Awakening is really good, if you haven't played that.

#39 Posted by King9999 (613 posts) -

It sounds like you only play PC RPGs.

In case you like JRPGs and if you have a 3DS, you have many options.