• 57 results
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By BraveToaster

I'm sure many of you have been accused of stealing a teammate's kills. Hell, I used to get upset when a teammate stole my kills, but I eventually learned that getting upset is absolutely ridiculous. While playing Counter Strike last night, a fellow teammate was angry with me and bitched about it the entire match. Whenever a round ended, he would kill me and pick up my weapons. Petty shit like this happens a lot in Halo, which is one reason why I took a break from it.

There is no such thing as stealing kills, especially if you're part of a team. If I see a comrade in a firefight I'm not going to standby and give the enemy an opportunity to get an extra kill. Or maybe there's a chance that we're both aiming after the same target, there should be no reason for you to get angry. We're a team so let's act like it. If you want something dead, kill it faster, aim better, use more skill... do something other than screaming like a maniac. This isn't limited to children either, grown ass men get all butt hurt about this. It's ridiculous and does nothing but increase your chances of losing.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm sure many of you have been accused of stealing a teammate's kills. Hell, I used to get upset when a teammate stole my kills, but I eventually learned that getting upset is absolutely ridiculous. While playing Counter Strike last night, a fellow teammate was angry with me and bitched about it the entire match. Whenever a round ended, he would kill me and pick up my weapons. Petty shit like this happens a lot in Halo, which is one reason why I took a break from it.

There is no such thing as stealing kills, especially if you're part of a team. If I see a comrade in a firefight I'm not going to standby and give the enemy an opportunity to get an extra kill. Or maybe there's a chance that we're both aiming after the same target, there should be no reason for you to get angry. We're a team so let's act like it. If you want something dead, kill it faster, aim better, use more skill... do something other than screaming like a maniac. This isn't limited to children either, grown ass men get all butt hurt about this. It's ridiculous and does nothing but increase your chances of losing.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By laserbolts

Stealing kills is definitely a thing in gears. If you down a dude you should get the kill. Unfortunately some twat will steal them from you though. I don't complain about it when it happens but it is bullshit.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By AngelN7

@BraveToaster said:

There is no such thing as stealing kills, especially if you're part of a team.

This pretty much, and that's the main reason I don't play competitive online games well except for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but I don't know if would call that competitive.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

@laserbolts said:

Stealing kills is definitely a thing in gears. If you down a dude you should get the kill. Unfortunately some twat will steal them from you though. I don't complain about it when it happens but it is bullshit.

Why didn't I think of Gears? Okay, that scenario is bullshit. That's inexcusable when the game tells you who downs a guy (that sounds weird).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

@psylah: Cheater! :)

@AngelN7 said:

@BraveToaster said:

This pretty much, and that's the main reason I don't play competitive online games well except for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but I don't know if would call that competitive.

The bitching isn't so bad with ME3, but you get some people who go bat-shit over it. Then you have the idiots who run into the fray and get upset when you don't risk your ass to save them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

I think it heavily depends on the game. As mentioned Gears is a perfect example of where it's CLEAR when someone actually stole your kill. Getting kills in Gears of War is hard too. First person shooters, ehh, sometimes I'd think it's kill stealing if I emptied a full mag into a guy and someone shot them once with a pistol and I get the assist - but thats the games fault more than anything else.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

I go out of my way to steal kills, especially when it comes to Gears.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Nubster

@BraveToaster said:

@psylah: Cheater! :)

@AngelN7 said:

@BraveToaster said:

The bitching isn't so bad with ME3, but you get some people who go bat-shit over it. Then you have the idiots who run into the fray and get upset when you don't risk your ass to save them.

I didn't play too much of ME3's multiplayer, but I felt as though the game divvied up the points accordingly. I played a sentinel and I got mad points from hitting everything with warp and wearing people down with pistols.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ProfessorK

One of the reasons I never play Gears with randoms, I don't want to hear someone bitching when I help get rid of the enemy by making sure they aren't revived ( by stomping their head in) even though I didn't down them.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By JTB123

Gears of War is terrible for this, I really couldn't give less of a crap about how many kills I get, but when you down someone less than 3 feet away or save a team mate and he takes your down, that's kind of shitty. Otherwise it's just team work in my eyes, plus it doesn't help how people care so much about their precious kill to death ratio, that's also something that seems to be a huge thing in Gears.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

@BraveToaster said:

@laserbolts said:

Why didn't I think of Gears? Okay, that scenario is bullshit. That's inexcusable when the game tells you who downs a guy (that sounds weird).

You should get the kill IF you can safely get it. If the enemy is going to stand back up before you get over to execute them or your just going to get yourself killed teammates mopping up the kill shouldn't be an issue ever. If people are so worried about getting kills go play FFA shooters. Complaining about stealing kills in Team games is absolutely stupid.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Kill stealing is more so understandable in co-op modes, I think. Like in Uncharted 3, you can easily take down a guy with melee, but it takes 2 hits and there's been many a time where I'll hit a guy (or I'm just about to start melee'ing him) but before I hit him again my teammate will then snipe him/shoot him with a grenade launcher just so he could get the credit.

I guess it's all about the competitive-cooperative type of thing, where while you're 'working together', you're at the same time competing for the best score so people are naturally going to want one-up you and steal your kill for TEH POINTZ

Gears 3's coop (arcade, horde ect.) handles this well in dividing up the points based on how much damage each player dished out, though. There are definitely times where the assistant will receive more points than the killer because of how much damage they inflicted. It's just in Uncharted 3, the assistant always get the shit end of the stick no matter how many bullets you may have dumped into one of those Brutes; it's all reliant on whoever gets the last shot, and it's situations like that--in both coop and competitive--where kill-stealing should be viewed as an empathetical grievance.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's all about that Kraft Dinner ratio

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

KS = Kill Secured in my book.

And yeah, this happens all the time in League of Legends and it's rather fucking annoying. (The complaining about kill stealing, that is.)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The only scenario where it's actually stealing IMO is when you're one on one, away from a battle, you've got the upper hand (which means you're clearly about to kill that guy) then a squadmate for example finishes him off stealing the kill from you.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

@xobballox said:

And yeah, this happens all the time in League of Legends and it's rather fucking annoying. (The complaining about kill stealing, that is.)

It's a different thing in LoL though, cause you do need some Champions to get kills more than others. You want your Carries fed, and if your Support is taking kills away from your Carry he's actively diminishing the team's chances of winning.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By kindgineer

I find the notion of "kill stealing" to be ridiculous outside of a level-based environment. What I mean is, and maybe it's isolated to this type of genre, is an MMORPG. Before developers figured out that kill stealing was a real thing, any user (more powerful than you, or higher leveled) could walk up and "steal" the credit for kill. This resulted in experience, loot, and etc.

That's really the only instance "kill stealing" is real. This who crap about KS'ing is about as stupid as people hating the camping tactic.

@Chavtheworld said:

@xobballox said:

It's a different thing in LoL though, cause you do need some Champions to get kills more than others. You want your Carries fed, and if your Support is taking kills away from your Carry he's actively diminishing the team's chances of winning.

The point I always bring to the table for nearly any discussion for MOBA is that if you want to play professionally, form a pre-made. When I log into LoL I don't play as if I'm part of an IGN bracket team. I don't have enough time in my day to read guides and understand the novelties of every single hero. I play the basic game of fighting in a lane, trying to slay other champions, and killing towers. Now that I'm L30, I avoid the ranked bracket because I know that my play-style does not fit that persona and my team-mates do not deserve someone who is not like-minded.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jay444111

Well... what about kill stealing when it involves someone famous? I myself killed Major Nelson on xbox live twice on battlefield BC2 vietnam... yes... I knifed his ass twice... I feel no sham in bragging that. However me and my friends that were playing at the time were DETERMINED to take him out one way or the other. We all got his dog tags... except I have two! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Then we joined his team and killed our old team... because we felt repaying him like that would be good enough for a bit.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ramone

Having kills stolen by random internet people fucking sucks, but doing it to friends is fucking hilarious.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jams

Back in my day kill stealing only happened in mmo's. I played CS from 1.0 to like a year or 3 of source. Never had anyone complain about kill stealing. I'm thinking it's something to do with this new generation of gamers that started gaming on Halo 2, CoD, GoW, etc.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By renmckormack

In the new Gears your character should hold up a sign asking permission to kill a downed enemy that they did not down themselves.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TobbRobb

@Chavtheworld: And then we have offtanks and the like who can starve the rest of the team by stealing kills. It's all good fun getting 28 kills with Darius ult, but don't bitch about it when you lost the match because the AD and Mage are underfed. "This is mainly why I hate people who play Darius/Akali or other champs who get easy lasthits."

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

It does slightly irk me when playing co-op (Uncharted 3 for example) and you are obviously securing an area and doing just fine and some asshole goes right next to you and starts finishing the bastards you weaken. And then no one is covering your back so you either have to move or get shot in the back and die. Other then that I have no problem with a dude giving some bastard that is shooting me the kill shot.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Canteu

Kill Stealing is annoying in LoL since it has a mechanical component to it. But I never bitch about it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I think any one who goes out of their way to steal a kill or goes out of their way to get angry about a kill being stolen takes their online shooty games too seriously. 

I don't play that often, I'm not very good, and I'm certainly not nearly good enough to keep track of who shot who first.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

@BraveToaster said:

@laserbolts said:

Hell, there's even a ribbon you can "earn" by having five kills stolen from you. I think it's called "Stop, Thief!" or something along those lines.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

In team based games individual KDR means squat, it's about how the team performed as a whole. I think it'd be more useful to know your team's KDR instead of individual KDR.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One time I was playing ME3 multiplayer and a teammate of mine would not stop complaining, saying basically everyone on our team was stealing his kills. I don't understand complaining about that because ME3 handles scoring by damage dealt (as far as I can tell), not by the number of kills.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaggE

Kill stealing only bothers me if it's obviously intentional and repeated. Otherwise, I just do not care. I don't care about my stats, I just want to have fun during the match, win or lose.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thatdutchguy

How is it "stealing" ?   it's just video games man , a kill is a kill in my book.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
@BraveToaster said:

Ever played Dota?
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BraveToaster

@ajamafalous said:

@BraveToaster said:

Ever played Dota?

No, but I have a feeling that your grievances are similar to some of the responses here regarding LoL. If I'm wrong, feel free to expound on your comment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The hilarious thing is that in Mass Effect everyone gets the total amount of points scored by all members of the team. If some guy wastes a Banshee singlehandedly, everyone gets the points for it.

And yes, people still quit in a huff.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vitor

@BraveToaster said:

@ajamafalous said:

@BraveToaster said:

Ever played Dota?

No, but I have a feeling that your grievances are similar to some of the responses here regarding LoL. If I'm wrong, feel free to expound on your comment.

That's about right. But Kill Stealing in MOBA games is not the same as in shooters. It actually can work against you if you weaken certain heroes on your team who are vital to the late game and depend on having earned lots of exp and cash through kills to get there, whereas there's no real penalty for doing so in a shooter (although killstreaks could argue against that in COD but you die so quickly there that KS doesn't really happen).

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By tallTuck94

I felt ME3 dealt with it quite well. The way i think that works is that is awards you with the same percentage of xp that you damage an enemy with.

So if you take 90% of the health from an enemy you get 90% of the xp. At least that's how I think it works.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Yeah I never made that big of a deal out of it, but I did have a friend that went ape shit literally because a guy "stole" his kill, you'd think he shot his mother with the way he acted. However I will agree that if a guy is literally following you around and stealing all of your kills that'd probably get a bit annoying at some point.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

How does someone steal a kill? Doesn't that imply someone had ownership of the kill? At what point does someone own a kill?

tonnous24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tonnous24

Was playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and was accused of stealing kills :|

Stopped playing for a few months, actually tried to get back into it today but I get kicked from every game because I'm only level 42.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BraveToaster

@tonnous24 said:

Was playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and was accused of stealing kills :|

Stopped playing for a few months, actually tried to get back into it today but I get kicked from every game because I'm only level 42.

That's ridiculous. I've seen people who are over level 500 and they suck. Level has nothing to do with skill in ME3's multiplayer.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By jonnyboy

That always makes me laugh when I play Gears. What am I supposed to do?

"Hey guys, I found this wounded enemy. Does he belong to anybody? Guys? His buddies are coming. Guys? They're picking him up. Hello?"

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By napalm

@laserbolts said:

Whaa? They haven't enacted an, "assist kill," mechanic yet?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By falserelic

I had a teammate get mad for stealing his kill, and for defusing the bomb before him in CS. He tried to stab me a few times, but I lit his ass up with the desert eagle. Afterwards I got kicked out of the match.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Jams

Back in my day kill stealing only happened in mmo's. I played CS from 1.0 to like a year or 3 of source. Never had anyone complain about kill stealing. I'm thinking it's something to do with this new generation of gamers that started gaming on Halo 2, CoD, GoW, etc.

Eh I played CS for pretty much that same period and it came up, but only generally with pubstars worrying about their k:d

I never cared, and I certainly won't hesitate to shoot an enemy if I see one. If someone complains of kill stealing, then I just let them die.

The only game where I ever feel it is grounds for annoyance is something like TF2, and that's only in specific use cases (A Spy setting up a stab chain only to fuck up because a soldier rocket jumped into the middle of the group).

That's more about not getting your teammates killed than it is about kill steing, however
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45  Edited By Levio

Have you ever played LoL? In that game, killing blows determine which teammate get the bulk of the gold reward for kills. That way, you can strategically have your gold-dependent dps characters take the killing blows to maximize the team's potential.

Unfortunately, it's also a pain in the ass to hold-back with attacks when playing gold-independent characters, so I kind of hate the system.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Nux

You should see how bad it gets in LoL. I've been in a few matches where two of my teammates would not stop fighting with each other because one of them stole the other's kill.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By medacris

It doesn't bother me in an FPS, but it's really annoying in MMORPG's. You'll see someone hacking at an enemy for awhile, only for someone else (who isn't in their party) to swoop in and try to get the last hit and steal all of their gold and loot. It's a little selfish and lazy. Thankfully, several games have put in precautions against this.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By confusedowl

The only kill stealing that really annoys me happens in MMOs. I'm not talking about that guy that helps you take down an enemy and then leaves, but that one ass hole who actively follows you everywhere and kills everything you target.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TooSweet

Hmm... something else for me to think on. I just started playing more Halo cause I don't want to suck at it. At least not as bad as now. I probably have stolen plenty of kills thinking I'm helping bring down an opponent. Then again I'm sure people have done it to me but I can care less. I want to not die and be able to take the other person out. So far I'm doing all team deathmatch with random people.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By nintendoeats

I found that once I started using the phrase Kill Secured in League of Legends, nobody cared anymore. Including me.