Steam question

woodelf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By woodelf86

If I purchase a game in a store such as walmart, that is also offered on Steam, can I import the game into Steam using the tools available and then be able to download it from steam in the future?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I imagine so. If it's available on Steam and at retail, then you need Steam to use it, anyway.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By cinemandrew

@woodelf86: @Video_Game_King: Not unless steam is required. Just because it's available through Steam, doesn't mean Steam is required to run all versions of the game.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By lazyturtle

Hmmm..interesting question. But here is another few things to think about: 
1)Why would you want to do this? You already have the disk..no need download. 
2)Once the game is on Steam, I think you can only run it through Steam. If you ever have a problem with Steam.. their first reaction is to cut off your account. 

woodelf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By woodelf86

@lazyturtle: I would prefer to toss the disk then so it is one less box around the house

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

Say what the game is, someone may have past experience.

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Ktargo
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rockanomics

It's very very rare if I remember correctly. Like probably 3-4 non-Valve games total will let you do it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
@Rockanomics said:

It's very very rare if I remember correctly. Like probably 3-4 non-Valve games total will let you do it.

Only if you count games that don't use Steamworks. 

All steamworks games will use Steam if purchased at retail
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Branthog
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Rockanomics said:

That's my experience as well.  Unless it says something about Steam on the box, just be safe and assume you can't activate it on Steam. 
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Gav47

I fucking love Steamworks. I got Civ 5 for €15 form amazon while it was €50 on Steam.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By lazyturtle
@woodelf86: I see..storage is a problem for me too. 

If you do put things on Steam, just be careful to stay in good standing with them. Let me tell you what happened to me: 
I bought some stuff on sale from Steam. My wife didn't recognize the company name and challenged it.  
Steam put a hold on my account. I had to contact them to find out why (they didn't bother to tell me). I then called the credit card company and told them that I had made the charge. They said no problem and released the money. So from my side, everything was fine. Steam was going to get their money.
Steam couldn't accept the credit card companies release of the $. I had to provide a new credit card number and pay full price for the game I bought on sale (it was a game I never would have bought if it weren't on a really good sale either). My other option was to let the account get closed and lose all my purchases. 
Even then (with repurchasing it) Steam was leary of letting me keep the account. They said they were making me a one time exception and that their normal policy was to close the account because of the challenge. It really put some perspective on buying stuff from them for me (I guess the good news is that it halted the spending spree I had been on with them).  Basically if there is a problem with your account, poof..everything is gone.  I certainly wouldn't give them control over anything that I purchased elsewhere.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
@Gav47 said:
I fucking love Steamworks. I got Civ 5 for €15 form amazon while it was €50 on Steam.
Yep!
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mnzy

Some games do that. I bought both Humble Indie Bundles outside of Steam and could activate them. Same with Unreal Tournament 3.