• 52 results
#1 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

#2 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -

If I really want the game, I'm going to purchase it when it's released.

#3 Posted by pyromagnestir (3965 posts) -

I don't often feel the need to play games the day they are released anyway, so waiting for a game to drop in price is no big deal.

#4 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Karmum said:

this.

#5 Posted by Creamypies (4012 posts) -

If I want a game, I buy it... no matter the price (unless it's more than $60/£40). Sure, getting it cheaper is nice, but I'm not that strapped for cash that I need to hold off until a sale.

Sales are good for making me buy games that I otherwise wouldn't.

#6 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

@doobie said:

@Karmum said:

this.

#7 Posted by Kaiserreich (645 posts) -

I wish I could I say C. but its always B.

#8 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

I stock up on Steam games during the holidays and that lasts me through the year. I can't think of a single franchise these days that I have to play new. Granted, I don't play online so having a robust community to interact with isn't a factor.

#9 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

A tie between A and C. Depends on the game and how much hype I have after the quick look.

#10 Posted by freakin9 (839 posts) -

I'm waiting for Skyrim to be $5. I think that answers your question sir.

#11 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

I pre-purchased Torchlight 2 knowing full well that in 2 to 3 months it'll be $15 or less. It'll probably drop to $5 in about 6. But I wanted it on release so I bought it.

#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Usually C. Sometimes B. Rarely A.

Occasionally it'll be a game that I just know won't be getting a drop or sale soon and I end up pulling a B, such as with Diablo 3.

#13 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

Depends on the game and how much I want it.

#14 Posted by green_sky (49 posts) -

Usually C and sometimes A but A's are rare.

#15 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

If I really want it and will play it immediately, I will buy it then and there. Otherwise I wait til sales on Amazon or Steam. Games drop too quickly in the States. There is no competition for pricing until 2 weeks after release.

Went with C cause that's mostly how it goes now a days, especially with D3 and CS:GO beta. However sometimes it's an A. Last one that was an A was Twisted Metal but still got that for $48 cause of NewEgg.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

I always wait for a sale.

#17 Posted by Welding (140 posts) -

@doobie said:

@Karmum said:

this.

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6062 posts) -

@Karmum said:

#19 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (440 posts) -

wait, the title of this thread already mentions "Steam Sale..." but then the poll mentions the game will be on sale at a later point. i'm confused.

but i always wait for sales on my games, whether it's a retail or digital download. for example, when trine 2 came out for $15, i knew that in just a few months, it would be on sale; so when it dropped to 1/2 that price at the end of march, i snatched it up off steam. i have a ton of back catalogue to go through, so i always have something to hold me over until a new game i want costs less to me. So "C."

#20 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

The title of this thread is a little confusing.

#21 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

If I really want it (such as Max Payne 3 which I just pre-ordered) then I buy it when it's released provided I have money. Sniper Elite V2 is an example of me trying to hold off until a sale.

#22 Posted by pineappel (9 posts) -

Usually I can wait till it's on sale or the drop the price. If it was an absolutely amazing game, it can happen that i buy it directly. But that would be the exception...

#23 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

the steam sales for me tend to be more impulse buys, if there is a game i know i want, i will just buy it at release/at full price and not worry about it, but to be honest i'd normally get a new game on the xbox anyway and even that is getting few and far between, im in catch up mode at the minute, and only gaming for about 6 hours a week anyway

#24 Edited by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

If I want it badly and it's going to be a huge AAA title that's probably going to sell a lot of copies, I'll buy it day one. Games like that don't go on sale often and when they do its 20 bucks less unless its years later or a Valve game.

#25 Posted by corruptsaves (209 posts) -

I don't use steam as I have an old laptop but speaking from a console perspective Mainly C. Would of got Diablo 3 new if I had the chance. Most games these days are getting pretty boring so it's not that hard to wait. End of generation fatigue setting in.

Next game coming up is XCOM: Enemy Unknown that I'll get pretty soonish providing it's good.

#26 Posted by Rohok (550 posts) -

If a game isn't 75% off, I won't buy it on the PC. Period, end of story, no exceptions. Except Skyrim I bought that for 60 dollars...

#27 Posted by A_Dog (742 posts) -

I very occasionally get caught in the hype of a game, Skyrim for example, and buy it day one. Otherwise I just wait for a sale, not even necessarily a Steam sale just something off.

#28 Posted by Ben_H (3207 posts) -

C. 99.5% of the time. The only game I bought not on sale on Steam was Skyrim, which I have got way more than my money's worth from anyway. I was gonna get Saints Row The Third on launch but waited until the holiday sale and bought it for $30 instead.

#29 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I've bought about ten games new on Steam over three years, the funny thing is that those ten games together probably cost more than the 300 other games I bought on sale combined.

I used to buy based on price/sales but now I look more for value, games that I will actually play and finish, and not care so much about getting games on the cheap that I'll probably never get around to playing.

#30 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

It used to be A, but with the economy being what it is right now (particularly in my country), now it's C.

#31 Posted by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

I think the only game I've bought at full price on Steam was the Torchlight II pre-order.

#32 Posted by bybeach (4608 posts) -

@Divina_Rex said:

@doobie said:

@Karmum said:

this.

Another agreed. I do show restraint, and it pays off. I didn't buy LA Noire ignoring even some off, waiting for the inevitable steam summer sale. Sunday I took a look at the steam store and saw it tacked on for free to the Max Payne 3 pre-order. Done deal and cheaper than a sale. The constraining reason..just like Alan Wake, I have it on console. Other games, like Legend of Grimlock and The Walking Dead I want, but I have enough on my plate for right now.

#33 Posted by TRSJabber (25 posts) -

The key word here is "really". If I really want a game upon release, I buy it, play it and usually enjoy the heck out of it with no regrets. If I am merely interested in a game, I will usually wait a few months and get it on sale. The most recent Day One purchases I have made are Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3, neither of which are available on Steam anyway. I also preordered Max Payne 3 on Steam and am eagerly anticipating its release on Friday. Why are all of my Day One purchases this year the third in a series? Must be some Pavlovian response of which I'm not yet aware.

#34 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

I rarely buy games on release day. Not because I'm cheap or anything, I just don't feel the need to. There are always a ton of older games I had been meaning to play but never got around to.

#35 Posted by konig_kei (575 posts) -

Latest one for me was street fighter x tekken, when I saw $5 off prepurchase I was like "I'd be stupid not to buy it now." shortly followed by shame.

#36 Posted by benspyda (1899 posts) -
  • If I REALLY want it I will buy it day one
  • If I am interested in it I'll wait for a sale
  • If I have zero interest in it I'll probably buy it for $1 and continue to not play it while it sleeps in my steam catalogue
#37 Posted by joshth (489 posts) -

It really does just depend how much I want it. I can say I've regretted a few day one purchases when I could have gotten it months later at such a nicer price.

#38 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3153 posts) -

Before I buy shit, I make sure all the games I want to play are completed. I currently have too many games to consider having more, so if a sale did occur on Steam, I would simply ignore it.

#39 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

If it's a game I really want, I get it when it launches because I really want it. If I can wait until later at a lower price, either I cannot afford it, or I didn't really want it.

#40 Posted by tourgen (4242 posts) -

@green_sky said:

Usually C and sometimes A but A's are rare.

#41 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

There's few games that actually warrant a full price release these days - I usually just wait for a sale.

#42 Posted by 49th (2546 posts) -

I'm still waiting for Saints Row 3 to get on sale so you can certainly wait for whatever too!

#43 Posted by Dalai (6881 posts) -

I'm buying it on day one, but there are relatively few games I really, really want. Most games I'm interested in can wait. For example, I'm willing to wait for The Walking Dead until it's half off.

#44 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

I can't help but feel this poll is somewhat loaded.

#45 Posted by ch3burashka (4909 posts) -

My backlog is so huge and my list of Steam games I already games is so barely touched that it doesn't make sense to play the games right now. I live vicariously through the Bombcast and other podcasts while I play FEAR 2.

#46 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

If I really want it, I buy it. I don't look back.

#47 Posted by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

Bought Rayman Origins for $40 when it first came out, but was on sale for 20 last weekend.

No regrets. So A.

#48 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

It''s all about the value of the game and if I have the time to play it now. If it's a really short game with not much lasting appeal, ill wait for a sale. If it is a game I am interested in that I feel will give me 60 dollars of enjoyment, then I will get it.

#49 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

I have to go with option C. Because I don't have much money to spend on videogames.

#50 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2452 posts) -

@Karmum said:

Yep, Pretty much.

If it's something I'm only tangentially interesting in pursuing, something that is buggy on launch and requires significant patching down the line, or a game that has a significant schedule of DLC rolling-out over a long period then I'm more than fine waiting till it's on sale.