Steam users with hundreds of games. Do you have them all installed or only the ones you currently play?

• 71 results
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jams

Poll Steam users with hundreds of games. Do you have them all installed or only the ones you currently play? (254 votes)

I have all of my Steam games installed. They stay that way so I don't have to download them over and over again. 7%
I only install the games I'm currently playing (then uninstall when done). 49%
Once I'm done with a game I leave it installed So it builds over time. 17%
Other (I HAVE to uninstall games because my drive lacks the appropriate space to store all my games) 28%

I have over 300 Steam games and I'm wondering if I should have them all installed on a HDD dedicated to games (1TB drive) or just leave the drive like 90% empty and only install the games I'm playing to keep Windows from having a heart attack?

• 
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All the games I've played since the last time I had a hard-drive failure, which was a few months back. I download them so quick that it's not necessary to install them until I get the urge to play them, but I have enough capacity that I don't have to bother uninstalling them after.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have most of them installed on a 2TB drive that is separate from my boot drive I have Windows and Linux on. I don't bother deleting them because I still have a good 900GB left. Might as well not waste bandwidth if I want to play a game again.

MrAbomination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I had a worse connection I used to just store them, but these days I'll just download what I need when I need.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 80 or so installed, I keep telling myself I'll play them.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have about 100 or so games on Steam. I have 40 something installed currently. Also, I'm not counting non-Steam games I've added to the library.

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found out about the remote download feature and since I had plenty of hard drive space I just downloaded as many games as I could before getting too low on space.

Unless a game is small or you need to get back some space it just seems more convenient to leave them downloaded.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I install whatever I want when I want.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I honestly don't know how many I have installed, but I tend to leave them there. My MO for the last several years has been to buy more storage when I run out, which seems to be working so far. But even after moving most of my passive media to a separate machine, I'm still running out of space and SATA ports. I'll probably have to make a significant lifestyle adjustment this next decade.

I used to be a stickler about not uninstalling anything (really, for no good reason), but Max Payne 3 broke me of that when I was running out of space and its 30GB install looked mighty tasty.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have about 120 Games, a lot are small Indie games though, I have about 100 total installed right now on a 2TB external drive that's only used for games and DXtory stuff.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By emprpngn

I only keep ones that I'm currently playing/will play soon/may want to play again. I keep everything else uninstalled and in it's own category.

Next PC I build, I'm going to stick a 2 TB HDD in there and install EVERYTHING.

JPeeples83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only install games I intend to play at the moment. Most of the stuff in my 300+ game library is either stuff I got to review quickly or got in a bundle.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I keep a fairly hefty list of my favorites installed along with a few time-wasters like Bejeweled or Orcs Must Die, but due to hard drive space limitations, I usually only keep about 10-15 games on my to-be-played list installed at any given time (unless they're so small as to take an insignificant amount of space, like with the Blackwell games). Thankfully, I had my Internet upgraded this last year, so now it takes me slightly less than a century to download anything.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I install the games I think I have a reasonable chance at wanting to play right away, but I don't have so many installed that I have a scroll bar on my steam window when viewing installed games. I'm not sure how many that works out to, 30 or so maybe, but that's the sweet spot for me. It doesn't take so long to download most games that I have to worry about keeping them installed all the time.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have around 350 games. I usually only keep about 30-50 installed at one time. I have fiber-optic broadband and no download limits. Downloading a 30 GB game isn't a problem for me. That's a #2 and an article read in the bathroom.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By AndrewB

Just about everything is installed between a 1TB platter disc and a 128GB SSD. I'm running very low on space.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep all the games I'm currently playing, as well as all the games I plan to return to or start playing installed. If I've finished a game and know I'll never return to it, or if I know I'll never return to a game, I uninstall it and put it in its own separate category.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have them all installed because I want to be able play a game whenever I feel like it and not having to download and install it again. Harddisk space is cheap nowadays so that's not really a problem. Especially now that you can install the games over multiple harddrives. The only games I have not installed are those for which I have a better version, so say for instance I have the complete edition for Dragon Age, so the 'single version' of Dragon Age I leave uninstalled. As such I have 251 games of 266 in total installed right now.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have only 99 games (saying "only 99 games" sounds weird) and I have about 35% of them installed; maybe 40%. I usually leave the games that I'm playing or am planning to go back and play installed, while the games that I barely touched but are installed stay installed because they're only around 200 mb. The only time I consider uninstalling a game is when I barely play it, have no intentions to go back to it anytime soon and the game is over 5gb in size.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I install 95% of the games I buy and on occasion run through my library to clear it from stuff I finished and/or don't play any longer.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use an older 80GB SSD for games, so I only have the 3-5 I'm playing at the time installed. Uninstall once I'm done a game and download something else.

I need a bigger SSD.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I only install the ones I intend to play, but this way I've got over 100 installed and 90% of my 1TB HDD is taken up by games, videos and music etc. I have to uninstall games sometimes to make room for other things. I should just be more honest with myself if I'm going to actually play something....

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By stalefishies

I used my fast Uni internet to install the majority of my Steam games just because I could.

I'll probably uninstall some if my hard drive space runs low.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 444 games and have 45 installed. I can download any game in my library, save for Max Payne 3, in 20 minutes or less so I don't need to hoard. That 45 is since I replaced my games drive in August.