STEM Career

Avatar image for lucassothegreat
LucassoTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For school, I must do a project about STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) careers. Now I was wondering if you think if what the Bombsquad does falls under that category. They do more than just writing so I'm thinking yes but want to know others' thoughts.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I'm not going to try disparage what the Bomdsquad do but no, not really. The STEM program is about getting people into studying and employment that will advance those fields. The Bomdsquad provide entertainment and information about video games.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rollingzeppelin

No, what the bombsquad does falls under the humanities. Some of the jobs involved in making the games they critique would be STEM, the engineers that maintain the website are also STEM. I doubt any article written on this site would be published by a scientific or engineering journal.

guppy507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The programmers of Giant Bomb do, yes. Jeff and co. do not.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting

To reiterate, the crew doesn't really do much of actual STEM stuff, though one could argue for Vinny/Drew with their A/V engineering. The CBSi engineers and Webhook guys fit the category much better, having built the website.

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

You could totally do a project about Dave Snider and his new venture "WebHooked".

LucassoTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See I was thinking about focusing more on Vinny and Drew with the videos; the way I saw it was that they'd need to keep up with the video editing tech and other such things. Thanks for the feedback!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Nope. They work in Communication and Media. And the "engineering" that is listed in the STEM moniker is meant to encompass physics, not web design - it refers to the engineering of physical objects such as rockets and engines.

LucassoTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@detectivespecial said:

Nope. They work in Communication and Media. And the "engineering" that is listed in the STEM moniker is meant to encompass physics, not web design - it refers to the engineering of physical objects such as rockets and engines.

I don't really know anything about the STEM terminology, but I'd say that the work of guys like @mrpibb, @frobie, and @jslack certainly falls under the umbrella of engineering. Maybe I'm just biased since I have a few computer engineering degrees and spend my days slinging code, but software engineering is just as legitimate an engineering effort as building an engine.

I agree with you on the web design side of things though. While it isn't universally true, a lot of web design people tend to come from more of a graphic design background than a technical one - although I have to imagine that any top web design guy is going to have at least some level of comfort in talking shop with an engineer.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@detectivespecial said:

I don't really know anything about the STEM terminology, but I'd say that the work of guys like @mrpibb, @frobie, and @jslack certainly falls under the umbrella of engineering. Maybe I'm just biased since I have a few computer engineering degrees and spend my days slinging code, but software engineering is just as legitimate an engineering effort as building an engine.

I agree with you on the web design side of things though. While it isn't universally true, a lot of web design people tend to come from more of a graphic design background than a technical one - although I have to imagine that any top web design guy is going to have at least some level of comfort in talking shop with an engineer.

Yeah, what he's describing is just mechanical engineering, there are plenty of other engineering fields.