• 83 results
#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

And the iPhone voted the most influential platform ever in the London Games Conference.

According to Eurogamer (via MyNintendoNews), the majority of the 1,000 people surveyed (26%) believe that Steve Jobs is the leading man who shaped video games. Meanwhile, Gabe Newell, the co-founder of Valve – one of the most influential companies in the industry – received only 16% of the votes. Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario – the most recognizable game character in the world – received only 7% of the votes. Oddly, Mark Zuckerberg, a guy who hasn’t done a darn thing for gaming (not directly, at least), received 3% of the votes.

Source.

I could really understand this coming from "casuals", but these guys are supposed to be avid fanatics of video games, some of them even professionals who earn their bread with gaming. This is absolutely ridiculous.

PS: Sorry if old, didn't find anything in General Discussion.

#2 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Ridiculous.

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Prodstep said:

Ridiculous.

I was going to write something, but yeah, ridiculous.
#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

What. The. Fuck.

#5 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

Poor gabe

#6 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Steve Jobs for President.

#7 Posted by LiquidPrince (15841 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Steve Jobs for President.

Too soon... or too late?

#8 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Alright, well that's obviously wrong, so what else is up?

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

Who the heck was their survey audience?

#10 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

It's understandable. Steve Jobs was way more of a public figure than Gabe or Miyamoto would ever be in their entire lives. That's pretty much all this survey proves.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

They do realize that there's no reason to kiss his ass now, right? He's kinda dead

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

LOL THEY SO FUNNY

#13 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

British videgame development has gone down the shitter since the late 80's - early 90's, the idiots who voted for Steve Jobs are partly why this has happened.

#14 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Yeah well celebrity ass licking... What would the western world do without it?

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

Yeah well celebrity ass licking... What would the western world do without it?

Oh, oh me me! me! I know! .. become an even better part of the world

#16 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

You must be clinically retarded to actually believe that.

#17 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Dude is dead there was a lot of fuss about hime being brilliant in media so people believe in stuff like that. If Michael Jackson was an option he would easily won.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Who the heck was their survey audience?

The LGC attendees, both fans and professionals. Which makes this survey even sadder.

#19 Posted by Vextroid (1358 posts) -

Well the Apple II had Lode Runner I guess?

#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That shit cray.

#21 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -

I can understand people thinking its ridiculous now but in 10-15 years i can see people looking back at iOS and the app store as a real game changer. As it stands today though...Crazy

#22 Posted by damswedon (3174 posts) -

Sure. I mean he is no Jeff Minter but sure.

#23 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

No

#24 Posted by Christoffer (1756 posts) -

To anyone who works with this stuff, I'm sorry, but surveys, studies and polls are completely useless and a waste of everyones time in 99,99% of the cases. Truckloads of bias and incompetence from every direction. And even if it's slightly good... what the hell is the purpose of this?

Oh thanks, some random people think Steve Jobs is the most important man in gaming! How big is the control group? A thousand people! Yeah well I ate cheese yesterday... just wanted to share some similarly important info.

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

People are dumb. Not surprised.

#26 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

Didn't he make the 1st Pong AI or something?

#27 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

ok...

#28 Posted by EVO (3863 posts) -

My mum is addicted to Words With Friends on her iPhone. Dude must've done something right.

#29 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

there was a thread on this already, when the article was released. 

yeah, it is a little ragging to read that. mark zelkleburg has nothing to do with gaming. he only made facebook and other companies put their crappy games on the website. steve jobs didn't do anything really either. he made the apple 2 and iphone but again companies put their games on it.

#30 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

Steve Job invented games.

#32 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -
If anyone knows what this is you have utmost (dis)respect.
#33 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

I'm guessing the London Games Conference had a lot of employees and fans of Zynga, Gameloft and the like.

#34 Edited by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

@Willin said:

If anyone knows what this is you have utmost (dis)respect.

It's the Apple Pippin. And it has nothing to do with Steve Jobs. It came out in 1995, the year before he returned to Apple.

Anyway, on the actual topic, Steve Jobs and iPhone are a valid choice. They've totally reinvented the mobile and portable gaming markets. That's pretty damn influential. I'd certainly put him above Gabe Newell. Gabe introduced a pretty good digital distribution service, but I think that was an inevitable step that someone was going to do soon enough. Steve reinvented an entire market. We're talking about the 3DS and Vita being the last standalone portable consoles due to the influence of the iPhone on portable gaming. We're talking about an entire section of the gaming market being wiped out because of something Steve Jobs introduced. The portable gaming market was a big, lucrative space, and it's looking likely that it will be gone in a few years time. Or at the very least it'll fill a much smaller niche than it has in the past. Whether or not you like the iPhone as a gaming device, I don't see how you can argue against it's influence on the industry. It's had a huge impact. And it was Steve Jobs that introduced it.

I'd personally probably put Miyamoto above him, sure, but that's personal preference. I totally understand why people voted for Steve and think it's a fine choice. Just because I don't personally have much connection to the types of games he is associated with doesn't mean I should ignore his influence.

#35 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

As Martin Crane said, ''Sorry, son. You can't beat a dead guy''.

#36 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

Well he helped ruin the portable market by supporting the race to the bottom in pricing. I guess that counts for something?

#37 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

He is twisting in his grave right now :)

#38 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

lol

#39 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Wow, this Steve Jobs adoration thing is getting way out of hand.

#40 Edited by Trylks (826 posts) -

Well, I guess there were a lot of casuals among those 1k people.

So yeah... that's the problem with casuals, I'm fine with them getting lots of games and driving the industry, as far as there are games for me to play (not-so-casual games, I don't consider myself hardcore either).

But please, if there is a survey about games and you just happen not to know a thing about them, just restrain from showing your ignorance and making the survey so shaming, pitiful and laughable. Related:

#41 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

So 260 people said that Steve Jobs was the most influential person in gaming history? Great.

#42 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

But iPhone games are awful. They never grab my attention for more than 10 minutes. While they are a fun distraction, they're nothing to get excited about.

#43 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

michael jackson, the most important man in movies

#44 Posted by JudgeDread (571 posts) -

stupid. Steve Jobs did not care for games and was vocal about not caring for them as well.

Just because the platform he helped develop and sell is a big success for game (and app) developers does not mean he personally has made any impact on the gaming world. He did not care for it at all. In that case Bill Gates is a much bigger influence for bringing us the windows and xbox platforms.

#45 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#46 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

he did work at Atari.

#47 Posted by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

If this came from people in the games industry they should be fired. Steve Jobs hated video games.

#48 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

What the hell is a Steve Jobs?

#49 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It makes sense. Apple release an iterative product every year or so, so they're in line with EA, Activision and are years ahead of Nintendo.

#50 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

That makes no sense. How about the guy who, I don't know, invented video games (Ralph Baer)? Wouldn't he be the most important man in video games. I really wish people weren't so enamored with Steve Jobs. He did a lot of great stuff, but he was far from the most important man in games. This stuff makes me mad.