Still a good time to buy a DS?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

So obviously the DSi has just come out, and Nintendo has yet to even mention a new handheld yet, but would you guys say we are in the latter half of the DS's lifecycle? If so, should I still get one, why or why not?

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Terra1909

A bunch of good games have just come out for it, so I'd say go ahead and get one. I think were well into it's life cycle, but I have a feeling it's going to have a pretty long one.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Yes, we are definitely in the back half of the DS life cylce.  It will not see past 2012.

Still a great time to buy as it is probably at least 2 years from replacement and there are so many good games to play from the back catalogue and even more awesome games on the way.

P.S.  Help me out Geno, threads like this should be in the DS Board so we can grow that community.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Do eet. A little-known fact is that the DSi is significantly more powerful than the DS, so I suspect that at some point the DS lineup will shift to entirely digital or SD-card based sales. I wouldn't worry about the lifecycle right now.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geno

Yeah, I thought as much. Recommend me some games?

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Geno said:
"Yeah, I thought as much. Recommend me some games? "
I'm just about to go to bed, but I'll point you in this direction. It's a very good list of recommendations.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Geno

Ok thanks for your input people.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I think buying a DS is an excellent investment. I would buy one now, so you can get more use out of it. Think about it; every year you wait to buy one is another year deducted from you using it. The DS also has a vast selection of quality titles since it has had time to develop. 

This is all coming from a guy who perfers his PSP more... The fanboy in me likes the PSP, but my unbiased self says the DS is better in amost every way. Perhaps one of the greatest gaming machines of all time, even.

Get one.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Godwind

I think the DSi extended the life span a little further.  I think it will last into 2014 or 2015.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

What with the DSi, I think it might be the best time to buy a DS. Then again, I have no idea what I am talking about. I could be wrong! =P

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Geno

Actually, will Nintendo be slowly phasing through the DS designs rather than producing a new handheld? I read that they will be releasing some DSi specific games to take advantage of its system specs, and some DSi-enchanced games that will be able to run on all systems but will run better on the DSi. Does this mean that we'll be seeing soft generational leaps with the DS from now on?

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercator

I dont think the DS is near the end of its life cycle at all.

I wish this system would last forever...Its pretty much guaranteed to be the last cartridge based system...im going to miss cartridges.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aeterna

I have a feeling that they're going to gradually move on to the DSi over the coming year(s).
Since it's a more powerful system, and still has backward compatibility with the "old" DS, I think it's going to last a good time. I really doubt that Nintendo'd just put it out now and then announce a new handheld and not even use the DSi's full capacity. They'll have a lot of new stuff to work with first. :)

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
Mercator said:
"I dont think the DS is near the end of its life cycle at all. I wish this system would last forever...Its pretty much guaranteed to be the last cartridge based system...im going to miss cartridges. "
Not necessarily.  Portables are more likely to use cartridge based system.  Despite the lack of data,  they are more durable.  Unless someone really went out of their way to destroy the cartridge, they are pretty durable for the most part.  Also, notice that SD cards are becoming much cheaper, which are in some ways similar to the cartridge to based technology used in the DS.  The memory is becoming much cheaper.

http://sandisk.com/Products/Item(2255)-SDSDG-2048-A11-SanDisk_SD_Gaming_2GB.aspx

Notice that is an actual mark up price?  Granted, SD cards aren't as fast as DS cartridges but this is a sign that memory is getting cheaper.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Goly

yes, only for chinatown wars. that game is awesome.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Hector

Go get one, now!