• 103 results
#1 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

So I was watching Adam Sessler's new spoiled show and Brad was one of the guests. The first game they did was DMC, seeing as Brad gave it a good review and the old DMC fans are still salty, this occurred...

This is the top rated comment on the video.

"Brad Shoemaker was always a shitty game critic, even during his GameSpot days. It was no surprise to me when he gave a rave review to Devil May Wubstep. The older games were cheesy, but were endearing in its silliness. Whereas this is a hamfisted attempt at pretentious social commentary. With embarrassingly awful writing that tries too hard to be edgy. Prior DMC games (minus DMC2) had combat also provided challenge, whereas DmC was obviously dumbed down to appease the CoD audience."

Some people just need to chill, its just a game.

Well I know this is just beating a dead horse but I thought I would share this.

#2 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

I think my comment got eaten or something, but I said aside from the jabs at Brad what do you think of the actual meat of that criticism?

#3 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

link the peoples! link us!

#4 Edited by golguin (3868 posts) -

To be clear what if the comment had said this instead of what he wrote?

"The older games were cheesy, but were endearing in its silliness. Whereas this is a hamfisted attempt at pretentious social commentary. With embarrassingly awful writing that tries too hard to be edgy. Prior DMC games (minus DMC2) had combat also provided challenge, whereas DmC was obviously dumbed down to appease the CoD audience."

Is there something wrong with that comment?

#5 Edited by LikeaSsur (1507 posts) -

I bet that top commenter hasn't played Devil May Cry in a few years. That game has not aged gracefully, and to an extent, neither has 3.

#6 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

Stop feeding trolls man.

#7 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I made the same mistake of going into the YouTube comments. I felt compelled to voice my criticism of the show (nothing about the game they were talking about, just the show's format) as it seems like Adam may actually read some of the comments and I stayed around for a bit after that. I should not have.

The sad part is that, as @golguin says, there is some valid criticism inside those unnecessarily vile comments.

#8 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2231 posts) -

Why do people care so much about one man's opinion? Brad loves the game. Other people should just accept that.

#9 Posted by TheHT (11090 posts) -

Well then. Thanks for sharing.

#10 Posted by handlas (2672 posts) -

He gave a good game a good review. GET OVERRRR IT. Or not.

#11 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@golguin said:

"The older games were cheesy, but were endearing in its silliness. Whereas this is a hamfisted attempt at pretentious social commentary. With embarrassingly awful writing that tries too hard to be edgy. Prior DMC games (minus DMC2) had combat also provided challenge, whereas DmC was obviously dumbed down to appease the CoD audience."

Beyond any complaints I have regarding the grammar of the comment, I would have to disagree with the claim that the writing of the older DMC games was any less embarrassingly awful.

I also don't think the social commentary of the new one was pretentious. People frequently call things pretentious even when there is not actually any pretense. The developers themselves say outright that it's not meant to be taken all that seriously. It's parody, not allegory.

#12 Edited by SlashDance (1812 posts) -

@jayeh said:
"It was no surprise to me when he gave a rave review to Devil May Wubstep."

I love when people do that "change a word in a title for instant sick burn" thing. It's a very effective dirtbag detector.

#13 Posted by Superfriend (1540 posts) -

Cheesy but endearing?

Tell that guy to shut the hell up right now, he has no freaking clue what he is talking about.

#14 Posted by UlquioKani (1043 posts) -

Just read some of the comments. It's depressing. I can't believe I even thought I would get something good out of Youtube comments. On the plus side, I was worried that Brad was going to be a little nervous but he killed it.

#15 Edited by Milkman (16618 posts) -

@golguin said:

DmC is endearing in its silliness too. The game is ridiculous and dumb and it knows it. There's nothing "pretentious" about it at all. The game has some social commentary for sure but unless the thought of any kind of societal opinions being expressed in your games says "pretentious" to you, that comment is bullshit. I don't think anyone had Ninja Theory set out to be "edgy" either. I'm sure the person who wrote that comment would point to the "FUCK YOU" and "I have a bigger dick" scenes that were COMPLETELY blown out of proportion by the internet. Both of those scenes are incredibly minor and they don't give off an edgy vibe at all. Like the vast majority of the game, it's just silly.

As for the complaints about the combat, there are about six or seven different difficulty modes in the game. If normal is too easy for you, there are tons of options for you. If you can breeze through the hardest difficulty, then I'm not sure what to tell you except hey, you're pretty good at video games, I guess.

Also, Devil May Wubstep? What?

#16 Edited by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

People mad at games and reviewers? Nonsense!

#17 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

I hate it when people throw out the "to please the CoD Audience" line, I will ignore everything they have to say if that is the summary of their argument. Its unoriginal and annoying.

#18 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Am I the only one pissed off at him for the Resident Evil 6 review? He obviously didn't bother learning the controls which is obvious from the quick look. I could give a fuck about DmC, WHAT ABOUT THE UNFAIR TREATMENT OF RE6!?!?!?!? He was not very nice in that review and some some things that were just not true. Sure it wasn't a perfect game but to just completely go to town criticizing it was uncalled for. The only thing I am certain of in this world based on Brad glowing review of DmC is that it is probably mediocre at best.

#19 Edited by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

I bet that top commenter hasn't played Devil May Cry in a few years. That game has not aged gracefully, and to an extent, neither has 3.

Not so sure about this. I played through DMC3 on the HD collection for the first time ever after I cleared the recently released DmC. I have to say I had a blast, it just reeked of gaming goodness and it was a satisfying challenge. Anyway yeah DMC3 is a much better game, and DmC is a huge failure in comparison. But yeah different guys made it and all, so what did I expect I guess

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -

I think that most of the people with negative things to say come into the game wanting to hate it. If you come in with that attitude its easy to get cynical about it. If you wanted to get picky you could tea the original games apart in much the same way. Did the original games have almost no story? Check. Did they all reuse content ad-nausem? Check. Could the fixed camera angles be a burden in combat? Check. See where Im going with this? If you choose to focus on just the negative that is going to be what stands out to you.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

Am I the only one pissed off at him for the Resident Evil 6 review? He obviously didn't bother learning the controls which is obvious from the quick look. I could give a fuck about DmC, WHAT ABOUT THE UNFAIR TREATMENT OF RE6!?!?!?!? He was not very nice in that review and some some things that were just not true. Sure it wasn't a perfect game but to just completely go to town criticizing it was uncalled for. The only thing I am certain of in this world based on Brad glowing review of DmC is that it is probably mediocre at best.

No one was very nice to Resident Evil 6.

Because it's garbage. You can't single out Brad as the one asshole who tarnished the great name of RE 6.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

People who are upset about reviews are among the worst type of people.

#23 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

This is totally worth a thread.

#24 Edited by DeathByWaffle (631 posts) -

As someone who hasn't played the previous Devil May Cry games (and therefore held no nostalgia for them), I really enjoyed DmC and think it is worth 5 stars. Regardless, this type of bitching about reviews is pretty awful. People seem to need a game critic to agree with their opinion on a game for them to be happy.

#25 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@milkman said:

No one was very nice to Resident Evil 6.

Because it's garbage. You can't single out Brad as the one asshole who tarnished the great name of RE 6.

I liked it and thought it was pretty good. :/

@jasonr86 said:

People who are upset about reviews are among the worst type of people.

YOUR THE WORST KIND OF PEOPLE!

#26 Posted by SlashDance (1812 posts) -

I liked it and thought it was pretty good. :/

Hey, Tenchu Z is one of my favorite games of this generation. We all have our shit game we love. :)

#27 Edited by phantomzxro (1570 posts) -

Well i believe that comment is no longer top comment and the comment that was said before on here is. There will always be a group who hate this DmC and those who love/like it.

#28 Posted by Petiew (1341 posts) -

I love when people do that "change a word in a title for instant sick burn" thing. It's a very effective dirtbag detector.

Oi, shut it Slashdunce!

#29 Posted by notdavid (836 posts) -

This just in: Internet comments are shitty.

#30 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Video games! Some people like certain ones!

#31 Edited by Bollard (5396 posts) -

That comment was pretty tame (minus the riff on Brad at the beginning). He seemed to put his points across well as to why he disliked DMC. Brad is my favourite member at GiantBomb, and I'm not gunna say his opinion of the game was wrong, but everything I heard about the story sounded like juvenile dogshit, so yeah.

#32 Edited by chilibean_3 (1632 posts) -

To be fair to that commenter, Devil May Wubstep made me grin a bit. But everything else he said was just silly.

#33 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

I think the key part of that comment is "to appease the CoD audience". It is at that point that you realize that whoever wrote it is a first class idiot.

#34 Edited by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

I think the key part of that comment is "to appease the CoD audience". It is at that point that you realize that whoever wrote it is a first class idiot.

or 1st class troll who's been successful enough to get all of you wound up

#35 Posted by MocBucket62 (1180 posts) -

That commenter seemed upset about the praise that the reboot got. Yes you can explain why you don't like the game in your comment, but don't insult Brad if you disagree with him. Brad thinks DmC is one of the best games this year and so what!

#36 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

"Cheesy But Endearing" read "due to nostalgia I am incapable of admitting that the original DMC games had stupid fucking writing."

#37 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -
@nail1080 said:

@winternet said:

or 1st class troll who's been successful enough to get all of you wound up

They're not mutually exclusive.

Although if this is what 1st class troll is, then the troll community is pretty bad.

#38 Posted by Mastertarvin (53 posts) -

"To appease the COD audience" because people that primarily play COD are defiantly going to pick up the newest DMC title.

#39 Posted by ProfessorEss (7308 posts) -

It's all so crazy to me because:

@jayeh said:

...embarrassingly awful writing that tries too hard to be edgy.

is exactly how I would describe all the previous Devil May Cry games.

#40 Posted by tourgen (4459 posts) -

was the quoted commenter insinuating that the Combichrist soundtrack is "wubstep"? Because if so he's a fucking moron.

#41 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

I think a very good comparison can be drawn with my feeling on the new Tomb Raider. The last Tomb Raider I played was on the PS1 and I've never played an Uncharted game. I played through the new Tomb Raider and felt it was GOTY material.

People can come at me and say blah blah original game blah blah Uncharted did it, but I didn't experience that so it's all very new to me. Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive so a WHOLE BUNCH of of people haven't played it.

I can understand how people would think DmC is fantastic if they never played DMC3 or Bayonetta.

#42 Edited by Tan (425 posts) -

In what universe did the old DMC games not try too hard to be edgy?

#43 Edited by golguin (3868 posts) -

@tan said:

In what universe did the old DMC games not try too hard to be edgy?

The one where he rides a motorcycle up a building and then starts to fight enemies in the air with that same motorcycle. Have you played the games?

#44 Edited by davo (141 posts) -

It's hard to take so-called gamers seriously when they start bitching about the colour of Dante's hair.

#45 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

@davo said:

It's hard to take so-called gamers seriously when they start bitching about the colour of Dante's hair.

Real gamers bitch about the color of his jacket goddamnit!

#46 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

It was a great game, Brad gave it a fair review. This was two months ago and some people still just can't get over it, that's pretty sad.

#47 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

I hated Brad before it was cool.

#48 Posted by Abendlaender (2779 posts) -

Pissed off fanboys are like elephants. They never forget and never forgive. Cause they are stupid

#49 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

There is so little criticism of Brad on this site that we've had to start trucking it in from foreign sites to make up the deficit.

Tell Youtube that we can pay for it with Vinny-love but they're going to have to take some of our excess Patrick-hate too, that shit is just piling up around here.

#50 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

The old DMC games sucked. Glad they improved it.