Stop using modifiers when explaining games.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

I absolutely hate people using modifiers when  talking and evaluating games. What are modifiers? It's something at the end of an evaluatory sentence which helps create a more accurate meaning of what you are exactly saying.

Unmodified: That game looks graphically good
Modified: That game looks graphically good for a wii game.

I really wish people would stop using this because ANY kind of game or ANYTHING does not exist in a vacuum that only certain things or nothing can it be compared with.

If it looks bad, it is bad, there should be no saving grace.

A game should just look good, I don't care if it looks good on a particular platform, it has to look good. A crappy game on the Fairchild Channel F is still a crappy game.

So please, if a game looks bad gameplay wise or graphically, just say it's bad. Don't try to justify it by excluding other games to make it look better. And in return, if a game looks good, just say it looks good.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By insanejedi

I absolutely hate people using modifiers when  talking and evaluating games. What are modifiers? It's something at the end of an evaluatory sentence which helps create a more accurate meaning of what you are exactly saying.

I really wish people would stop using this because ANY kind of game or ANYTHING does not exist in a vacuum that only certain things or nothing can it be compared with.

A game should just look good, I don't care if it looks good on a particular platform, it has to look good. A crappy game on the Fairchild Channel F is still a crappy game.

So please, if a game looks bad gameplay wise or graphically, just say it's bad. Don't try to justify it by excluding other games to make it look better. And in return, if a game looks good, just say it looks good.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Why do you hate it when people are descriptive?  As you say nothing exists in a vacuum, and there are only so many commonly used adjectives that people can get a sense for (is 'fantastic' better than 'amazing'?)

If I say Battletoads was a great looking NES game, that tells you more than if I said Battletoads looks like crap.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Depends on the situation. I could probably think of a time when that would be appropriate, but I'm lazy.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Okay, so whenever i'm talking about the graphical quality of a DS game, i'll say it sucks hard. 

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kouerson

Now I can't even possibly review any Atari Lynx games now.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ said:
" Okay, so whenever i'm talking about the graphical quality of a DS game, i'll say it sucks hard.  "
No, you won't. If you do, I'll banish you from the kingdom...with a flaming fist to the face :P.
Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Grimace

I take it you've never heard of the word "context"?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@AgentJ said:
" Okay, so whenever i'm talking about the graphical quality of a DS game, i'll say it sucks hard.  "
No, you won't. If you do, I'll banish you from the kingdom...with a flaming fist to the face :P. "
Oh no, not the Falcon Punch! Oh wait, since Brawl's on the wii the Falcon Punch doesnt look that epic. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ said:
"
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@AgentJ said:
No, you won't. If you do, I'll banish you from the kingdom...with a flaming fist to the face :P. "
Oh no, not the Falcon Punch! Oh wait, since Brawl's on the wii the Falcon Punch doesnt look that epic. 
"
Who said it had to be Captain Falcon? *transforms into Vahn from Legend of Legaia* FAI-AH.....BLOWWWW!!!!!! (Anybody who gets that reference deserves a fist in their face for having played such a mediocre game.)
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai
@insanejedi: Your post is good for a troll post.

Context!
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By luce

ok boss

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By insanejedi

I'm just saying that a game either looks good or it doesn't. A DS game should have decent 3D graphics or good 2D sprites, and not look like some broken ass quake 1 engine game.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@insanejedi said:
" I'm just saying that a game either looks good or it doesn't. A DS game should have decent 3D graphics or good 2D sprites, and not look like some broken ass quake 1 engine game. "
One thing you must keep in mind when reviewing a game is the capabilities of the system; you can't hold one game up the standards of another system.
Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wally

This is pretty crappy FOR A BLOG POST

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
" I'm just saying that a game either looks good or it doesn't. A DS game should have decent 3D graphics or good 2D sprites, and not look like some broken ass quake 1 engine game. "
A DS game is never ever going to look good compared to Crysis, so your logic is flawed. 
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
A DS game is never ever going to look good compared to Crysis, so your logic is flawed. 
"

It doesn't have to look like Crysis, It just doesn't have to look offensive to me.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@insanejedi said:
It doesn't have to look like Crysis, It just doesn't have to look offensive to me. "
Name one mainstream (as in "I don't have to search all about for it") DS game that looks racist :P.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By insanejedi
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@insanejedi said:
It doesn't have to look like Crysis, It just doesn't have to look offensive to me. "
Name one mainstream (as in "I don't have to search all about for it") DS game that looks racist :P. "
Homie Rollers? Which applies to what I REALLY ment and what you mean. So win-win.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

Then aren't you saying that the game can have good graphics "for a DS game"? Or are you just saying that as long as you like it then it's okay? After all, if something on the DS looks okay to you, then there shouldn't be a Wii game that you have a problem with. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@insanejedi said:
Homie Rollers? Which applies to what I REALLY ment and what you mean. So win-win. "
I think you have to blame the source material more than the actual game. That'd be like calling Bratz (the GBA game) the reason dolls pretty much dress like sluts. Anyway, my point stands: I agree with AgentJ and am too lazy to look at my own posts again :P.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

Then aren't you saying that the game can have good graphics "for a DS game"? Or are you just saying that as long as you like it then it's okay? After all, if something on the DS looks okay to you, then there shouldn't be a Wii game that you have a problem with. 
"
No because the games that I like visually on the DS do not try to make themselves look like a broken ass IDTECH 1 game or early PS1 game. Generally they involve good looking and drawn sprites and not on technical prowess.  If the models look blocky, or the textures look really muddy, or the aliasing is so awful, then I think it looks graphically bad no matter what system that it is on. Which Is why I can never bring myself to play the old Tomb Raider games or Goldeneye.
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thegoldencat7
@insanejedi said:
" I absolutely hate people using modifiers when  talking and evaluating games. What are modifiers? It's something at the end of an evaluatory sentence which helps create a more accurate meaning of what you are exactly saying.

A game should just look good, I don't care if it looks good on a particular platform, it has to look good. A crappy game on the Fairchild Channel F is still a crappy game. So please, if a game looks bad gameplay wise or graphically, just say it's bad. Don't try to justify it by excluding other games to make it look better. And in return, if a game looks good, just say it looks good. "
Dear dear. Modifiers include all adjectives and adverbial material. for a wii game is an adjunct, not a modifier. If you got rid of all the modifiers it would read "This game looks."

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By DrRandle

I'm kind of tired of it just because... It just seems redundant. Like.. yes, we assumed it looks good for a Wii game. It's on Wii. Now if you think it's comparable to 360 graphics in some way, THAT would be worth noting. Otherwise it's like saying that Wario Ware Touched "Uses the touch controls well, for a DS game."

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

"
No because the games that I like visually on the DS do not try to make themselves look like a broken ass IDTECH 1 game or early PS1 game. Generally they involve good looking and drawn sprites and not on technical prowess.  If the models look blocky, or the textures look really muddy, or the aliasing is so awful, then I think it looks graphically bad no matter what system that it is on. Which Is why I can never bring myself to play the old Tomb Raider games or Goldeneye. "
So then it's more of a personal opinion then anything else. You dont care if a game looks shitty as long as it adheres to your opinions of what make a game good looking. Personally i have a hard time playing the tomb raiders and goldeneyes myself, but I can't imagine what made you make this post when the PS1 and its style have been dead for over ten years now. Since you supplied a picture of the Conduit, i assume that's the game you are railing on, but since it looks better in every way then a DS game and doesnt have the problems of N64 and PS1 games i can't see how your arguement holds water.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slinky6

it's called relativity

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

"
No because the games that I like visually on the DS do not try to make themselves look like a broken ass IDTECH 1 game or early PS1 game. Generally they involve good looking and drawn sprites and not on technical prowess.  If the models look blocky, or the textures look really muddy, or the aliasing is so awful, then I think it looks graphically bad no matter what system that it is on. Which Is why I can never bring myself to play the old Tomb Raider games or Goldeneye. "
So then it's more of a personal opinion then anything else. You dont care if a game looks shitty as long as it adheres to your opinions of what make a game good looking. Personally i have a hard time playing the tomb raiders and goldeneyes myself, but I can't imagine what made you make this post when the PS1 and its style have been dead for over ten years now. Since you supplied a picture of the Conduit, i assume that's the game you are railing on, but since it looks better in every way then a DS game and doesnt have the problems of N64 and PS1 games i can't see how your arguement holds water.
"

The Conduit has texture filtering and aliasing issues which make it hard to look at. The only modifier that I'll accept and willfully use is the term "By today's standards" because were directly comparing all of today's games to other games. It's perfectly fine to say, "Prince of Persia Sands of Time still looks good by today's standards." because that's something we can actually gauge and is relevant. Saying "This game looked good for a game 6 years ago." means very little and is irrelevant for the time period. Yes, what I'm proposing is a bit flip floppy, but games that look bad today on any system, look bad regardless of the platform it is on. If a console is released with a 100 mghz processer and a 8mb video card, I'm not going to say "The game looks good for the "blank" it is on." I'm going to say "The games on this system look like shit by today's standards."

What I'm generally saying is that games do not exist in a vaccum and we shouldent treat games like they are in some void where games of that timeline do not exist.

I dunno, maybe I just snapped with people saying "It looks good for a wii game" ALL THE FRACKING TIME, that I want to abolish using words like that.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Bigandtasty
@slinky6 said:
" it's called relativity "
this

also, GRAPHICS MATTER!!1
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
"
The Conduit has texture filtering and aliasing issues which make it hard to look at. The only modifier that I'll accept and willfully use is the term "By today's standards" because were directly comparing all of today's games to other games. It's perfectly fine to say, "Prince of Persia Sands of Time still looks good by today's standards." because that's something we can actually gauge and is relevant. Saying "This game looked good for a game 6 years ago." means very little and is irrelevant for the time period. Yes, what I'm proposing is a bit flip floppy, but games that look bad today on any system, look bad regardless of the platform it is on. If a console is released with a 100 mghz processer and a 8mb video card, I'm not going to say "The game looks good for the "blank" it is on." I'm going to say "The games on this system look like shit by today's standards."What I'm generally saying is that games do not exist in a vaccum and we shouldent treat games like they are in some void where games of that timeline do not exist. I dunno, maybe I just snapped with people saying "It looks good for a wii game" ALL THE FRACKING TIME, that I want to abolish using words like that. "
If you think "the sands of time" looks good by todays standards you shouldn't have any problem with The Conduit. It sounds to me like its a value judgement, because it certainly looks pretty damn good in my eyes. Maybe that's because i don't know anything about game design, but should i have to? I'm a consumer, not an analyst. 

So what i'm hearing from you is "i dont like how the conduit looks" and "im trying to make it part of a larger arguement". I recommend you just leave it at "I dont like how the conduit looks". 
Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because i dont even notice when people say "for a wii game". 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Milkman

I agree that The Conduit should be seen as the piece of crap that it is.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
The Conduit has texture filtering and aliasing issues which make it hard to look at. The only modifier that I'll accept and willfully use is the term "By today's standards" because were directly comparing all of today's games to other games. It's perfectly fine to say, "Prince of Persia Sands of Time still looks good by today's standards." because that's something we can actually gauge and is relevant. Saying "This game looked good for a game 6 years ago." means very little and is irrelevant for the time period. Yes, what I'm proposing is a bit flip floppy, but games that look bad today on any system, look bad regardless of the platform it is on. If a console is released with a 100 mghz processer and a 8mb video card, I'm not going to say "The game looks good for the "blank" it is on." I'm going to say "The games on this system look like shit by today's standards."What I'm generally saying is that games do not exist in a vaccum and we shouldent treat games like they are in some void where games of that timeline do not exist. I dunno, maybe I just snapped with people saying "It looks good for a wii game" ALL THE FRACKING TIME, that I want to abolish using words like that. "
If you think "the sands of time" looks good by todays standards you shouldn't have any problem with The Conduit. It sounds to me like its a value judgement, because it certainly looks pretty damn good in my eyes. Maybe that's because i don't know anything about game design, but should i have to? I'm a consumer, not an analyst. 

So what i'm hearing from you is "i dont like how the conduit looks" and "im trying to make it part of a larger arguement". I recommend you just leave it at "I dont like how the conduit looks". 
Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because i dont even notice when people say "for a wii game". 
"
No because there is something inconsistent about the graphics. There is a difference between a game that looked really good in 2000  and a recent shooter that is deemed very bad in the graphics department by today's standards. I.E Red Steel. 

And if that is what you pulled out of the post then you completely missed the point. What I'm saying is that wii games, 360 games, and PC games should not be treated as if they exist without anything else around existing. The Conduit is a prime example of this because most people say "It looks good for a wii game." But in contrast to anything in today's standards of the tech, The Conduit is vastly inferior. It applies to every game.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Mrnitropb

This game looks double plus good. For a Wii game....

Avatar image for giantwhitewhale
giantwhitewhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By giantwhitewhale

This topic looks

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_A_Drain

This thread is pretty awful, for a Giantbomb thread.

If something looks good considering the hardware it is running on, then it looks pretty good considering the hardware it's running on. IE, pretty good for a Wii game. Just like PC owners would say something looks pretty good for a console game. I don't see the fucking problem, sure nothing exists in a vacuum but if you are just going to turn around and say all games on the Wii look like turd by default then you have a major problem, theres some great games on the Wii and lot of themm ake up for what they lose in sheer graphical prowess with visual style and design flair.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

"
No because there is something inconsistent about the graphics. There is a difference between a game that looked really good in 2000  and a recent shooter that is deemed very bad in the graphics department by today's standards. I.E Red Steel.  And if that is what you pulled out of the post then you completely missed the point. What I'm saying is that wii games, 360 games, and PC games should not be treated as if they exist without anything else around existing. The Conduit is a prime example of this because most people say "It looks good for a wii game." But in contrast to anything in today's standards of the tech, The Conduit is vastly inferior. It applies to every game. "
So then you'll take back what you said about the DS? Because the tech on those games could be PSP level and they aren't, so the graphics suck. Hell, even the PSP has been out for a while, so the DS should be able to do much better.
freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By freakin
Personally if I ever put up a gaming website, I'd compare every game, no matter what the system, against each other.  I'd of course get mountains of hate mail for it and death threats from insecure console owners, but my god it will be beautiful.   Now it won't be all bad for handhelds, for instance I'd add new categories like 'portability' to my reviews that the home consoles would just continually shit the bed on.  I'd also install an algorithm in every review for when the next generation hit so I could just press a button and what used to be considered passable in one generation could instantly get further shit on by the new standards of a new generation.  

gezkrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By gezkrat

While this thread may be a bit lackluster when compared to most others floating about, it still remains good for an insanejedi topic.

CWUTIDIDTHAR?! LOLOLO

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By insanejedi
@gezkrat said:
" While this thread may be a bit lackluster when compared to most others floating about, it still remains good for an insanejedi topic.CWUTIDIDTHAR?! LOLOLO "
Which is where I come to a realization that this blog post generated more traffic than any other blog post I've done. Apparently you guys LOVE lackluster threads and not actually ones that are any good like these.
Or Keyboard Cat generating more comments than basically 70% of all articles on Giant Bomb.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"

"
No because there is something inconsistent about the graphics. There is a difference between a game that looked really good in 2000  and a recent shooter that is deemed very bad in the graphics department by today's standards. I.E Red Steel.  And if that is what you pulled out of the post then you completely missed the point. What I'm saying is that wii games, 360 games, and PC games should not be treated as if they exist without anything else around existing. The Conduit is a prime example of this because most people say "It looks good for a wii game." But in contrast to anything in today's standards of the tech, The Conduit is vastly inferior. It applies to every game. "
So then you'll take back what you said about the DS? Because the tech on those games could be PSP level and they aren't, so the graphics suck. Hell, even the PSP has been out for a while, so the DS should be able to do much better.
"
What did I say about the DS that I have to take back? All I said was that DS games should look generally good and not Quake 1 running on everything low. It doesn't matter what tech it is on or what the specs of the console is, all that matters at that point in time is the question of "does it look good or not?".
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AgentJ
@insanejedi said:
"
What did I say about the DS that I have to take back? All I said was that DS games should look generally good and not Quake 1 running on everything low. It doesn't matter what tech it is on or what the specs of the console is, all that matters at that point in time is the question of "does it look good or not?". "
Well DS games look like shit compared to PC games so i dont know how you can say they look "generally good".
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By insanejedi
@AgentJ said:
"
@insanejedi said:
"
What did I say about the DS that I have to take back? All I said was that DS games should look generally good and not Quake 1 running on everything low. It doesn't matter what tech it is on or what the specs of the console is, all that matters at that point in time is the question of "does it look good or not?". "
Well DS games look like shit compared to PC games so i dont know how you can say they look "generally good". "
Then don't try to make a game that looks like a 3D PC game because you are just fighting an uphill battle. Do something like sprite based like Super Robot Wars or something. Make a good looking 2D game then if you can't do 3D well.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By insanejedi
@Diamond:

I dunno, it's just something that been running in my mind that a lot of the enthusiast press and forum users constantly say "this game looks good for an "x" game" for wii games, when someone says that along the lines of that, I don't know what gaming is like without the existence of the 360 and PS3 and high end PC's, so saying something like that is almost irrelevant to me and I assume many other people as they also have experienced the 360, PS3 and PC. I see your point with the Battletoads example, but there is something in particular with the style of NES games and Geneisis games that makes it identifiable. Stuff like the Wii and the Iphone do not really have that "style".
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187
@insanejedi: So basically, you want everything to be compared on the same level?

I should compare Gears of War 2 to Crysis with the same eye?

Just the same way I should compare Crysis to The Conduit?

Or The Conduit to Disgaea?

Or Disgaea to Nintendogs?

Or Nintendogs to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Because that doesn't work.  Not on this planet.  Not on your planet.  Not on any other planet.  It's a misnomer.  Trying to say that a game just flat-out looks good will be greeted with the "well, yeah, but (insert game) looks way better", followed by the obligatory "well, yeah, but it's on (insert system), so it can't do the same kind of stuff".

You'll also get the cel-shading arguments, like with Crackdown or Dark Cloud 2.  The games DO look good, but at the same time, try to argue that with someone who's cranking Crysis up to max on their brand-new Monolith computer!

Plus, let's not EVEN get into "art style and creative artistry" arguments.

Therefore, the modifiers are necessary, and to believe otherwise is just foolish.  Sorry, man.