Strategy games : Real-time or turn based?

dewin50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dewin50

What strategy game type do you prefer?

Real-time games like:

Age of Empires, Starcraft/Warcraft, Dawn of War, Sins of a Solar empire, Company of heroes, World in conflict, Command and Conquer, Etc.

Or Turn based games (Or in truth, games with time-keeping systems) like:

Civilization, Total War, Crusader kings, Cities skylines, Europa universalis, XCOM, Victoria, etc.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn-based all the way. If I could turn all those real-time strategy games into turn-based ones I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both honestly. Though if I could only pick one game ever (island scenario) it be UFO: Enemy Unknown or as its known in America X-com: UFO Defense.

Best game ever made.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Capum15

Both.

XCOM, Civ, Total War, Age of Wonders, etc - all turn based games I enjoy. Meanwhile we have Command and Conquer, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, Homeworld, etc for real time games I love.

But if I had to chose, it'd be RTS. Reason: Command and Conquer.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I enjoy both tremendously, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Turn Based. I love me some RTS', but that's a super easy decision for me.

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vsharres

Both, but RTS's are kind of rare these days, so I play way more turn based ones.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Always turn-based. Always.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Turrrrrnnnnnnnn

Haven't ever played a real time, though, so I'm biased lol

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I grew up with table top war games in the 80's / 90's where you'd have a huge paper map and about a thousand tiny cardboard counters. Of course, the games were turn-based. While passing at a liesurely pace, they were still exciting and fun. The best part of playing a turn-based strategy game is taking the time to formulate and impliment an actual strategy.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am a big fan of turn based with the exception of the "Total War" games. The real time is awesome as it is not a reaction based battle but slow methodical tactics approach similar to turn based.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Between Valkyria Chronicles, Jeanne d'Arc, Fire Emblem and Civ I have to go with turn based.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not either/or. Both are good. I have a nearly equal number of real time and turn-based strategy games that I love.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

It's more on a game by game basis for me. I'd take Command & Conquer, Dark Reign and Krush Kill 'N Destroy over Civilization, but I'd take X-COM, Battle Isle, Advance Wars, M.A.X., Age of Wonders etc. over StarCraft, WarCraft and Blizzard's ilk of strategy games.

I'd have a really hard time to choose between C&C, Age of Wonders and X-COM if it would come down to a "you can only play one for the rest of your life" scenario.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Crusader Kings is Real Time. Starcraft: Brood War is one of the best games ever made but the RTS genre doesn't have quite as many excellent games as turn based does, probably due to sheer volume. I guess I'd put Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance as the second best. Heroes of Might and Magic is probably the best traditional turn based strategy game around and one of my favorite series.

Tactical JRPGs tend to have the best stories in games period, between Tactics Ogre, Front Mission 3, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Both, but Gun to the Head/forced to choose I'd probably go Turn-Based.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

For squad based, I like turn based. Give me a good spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm, and you wouldn't hear from me in weeks.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Turn based games because they are strategically the most pure.

Real time always means theres a mechanical aspect involved.

Cities Skylines is not a turn based strategy game by the way. It's a citybuilder.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I like to ponder things and take my time. Turn based.

I've played a few RTS games here and there and I couldn't get into the genre, nor did I really want to. I mean, I tried out Halo Wars and one of the older Command and Conquer games and I was just bored the entire time. RTS's seem like they're more about swiftly executing a quickly calculated tactic (or several quickly calculated tactics) and that's not what I want to do. I want to carefully and thoughtfully perform a move and then watch as the other side desperately tries to outwit my genius and cannot.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Turn based, easily. Civilization, Fire Emblem, XCOM, Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea... that genre has cranked out some of my favorite games of all time.

I have enjoyed my time with some RTS games. Brood War is probably the best game in the genre, and I also really liked Warcraft 2 (NOT 3) and Sins of a Solar Empire. Tried and failed to get into stuff like Command and Conquer and Company of Heroes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Both, but I prefer real time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Give me all of them, all of the time.

Also, Total War is both a TBS and RTS, and Cities: Skylines is neither.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, I'll take all the strategy there are available although the availability of new RTS's are slim atm.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Turn based for sure. I like having time to plan out my strategies.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Turn based ones are just so much more fun. The only real time strategy game I truly like is Generals. But I'd pick XCOM over it in a heartbeat still.

Also, technically, XCOM and the like are tactics games, not so much strategy. But I realize this is kind of a blurry line to draw to begin with.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im so surpised about the results. Turn based games are the only games i find little enjoyment in playing. I love real time strategy games.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

turn based, i dislike most time pressures in games.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Y2Ken

Definitely both. I don't wanna pick. I can't put StarCraft II up against Civ V. Or Z against Endless Legend. Or C&C vs XCOM. Total War kinda falls into both camps, though I prefer the turn based bit (the campaign map stuff) to the real-time (the actual fights, which I frequently don't actually play out for myself). I keep trying to write, "I guess if I had to I'd take..." but every time I can't bring myself to do it. Real-time. No! Turn-based! Argh.

Okay, I'll take real-time. I love Civ to bits and Endless Legend quite a lot too; but I cannot lose StarCraft or Z and I'd be sad to lose (older) C&C as well. Plus RTS aren't time-eaters in the same way TBS are: I certainly can sink hours into them but I'm also capable of stopping after a short session rather than getting pulled in for whole days at a time.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Turn based. With RTS games it is always too much of managing your troop movements and countering their bad AI routines.

ManlyPup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer turn-based, as they don't require me to learn and maintain a set of physicals skills to be decent at them. The timing and precision required in most real-time strategy games puts me off, because I'm not particularly great at either. I played through the first act of Warcraft III, but when I got to the second act and learned how important ground-targeting was (something I had used very little of during the first act), I failed miserably at it and eventually shelved the game.

I think I'd be all right with real time games that allow you to pause, think and/or issue orders for times when things felt crazy, but I don't really know of any.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what's a pretty good game? Chess. Been around for years. It's got that "easy to learn: difficult to master" thing going for it. I do like real time strategy games, but fuckin' chess man.

Also, I always considered total war real time. I mean, the conquest mode goes turn by turn, but all the actual battles are real time. Maybe that's why I like those games though. It's the most turn based real time has ever been.

Pe4chy_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive always preferred real time strategy games but i have to admit that i recently discovered turn-based games (before i thought they were complete crap) and they are not as bad as i thought :D

however, starcraft forever!!