Street Fighter IV...should noobs even bother?

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Arcitee

Despite playing games for almost 20 years now I was never even remotely into the Arcade scene and I have never played a Street Fighter game before. Really the only fighting games I have ever played are Soul Calibur and Smash Bros. However, I am very intrigued by all the hype surrounding SF4 and I am very tempted to buy it.

I have heard the game is very very difficult though. If you don't even know what that move Jeff mentioned in his video review, Howdok or something, even is let alone have idea how to do it is there any point in getting this game.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cynical_M

rent it? I bought it day one having never owned a  Street Fighter game and I'm really enjoying it....there a few difficulty settings you can try and the challenge mode isnt bad for learning basic combos....At least give it a shot.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demilich

SFIV is my first SF game. Yes it's hard, but I'm getting better, having fun and raging a lot.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Shadow

yeah.... if you can't howdok, you're fucked.

McPlated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McPlated

Smash Bros is really considered a fighting game now?

These days arn't like the old days...
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422
McPlated said:
"Smash Bros is really considered a fighting game now?

"
No, its only considered a fighting game to those who are wrong by saying its a fighting game.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

It has yet to get me angry or frustrated. I've won 11 of 48 online games but... I'm enjoying it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shadow
pause422 said:
"McPlated said:

"
No, its only considered a fighting game to those who are wrong by saying its a fighting game.
"
No it's considered a fighting game because in it, you are FIGHTING.  You can't pick and choose what games belong in a genre just because you personally think it isn't worth the title.  Is the game primarily about fighting?  Then it's a fighting game.  Is the game primarily about racing?  Then it's a racing game.  Is the game primarily about going through obstacle course-like stages to reach your goal?  Then it's a platformer.  Is it Noby Noby Boy?  Then your guess is as good as mine.

Besides, Smash Bros has as deep of a, if not a deeper, fighting system as street fighter.  Just because the moves don't require retarded overly-complex and awkward D-pad movements to execute doesn't suddenly mean it's a lesser game.  So many fighting game elitists are just too snooty about it and stuck up their own ass to recognize it.  There's a reason it's played in tournaments.
Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arcitee

If your like me and have not played all the many iterations of Street Fighter 2 or Virtual Fighter or any of that, than yes Smash Bros is very much a fighting game, or it is when you play without items at least.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shazam
Shadow said:
"pause422 said:
"McPlated said:

"
"
No it's considered a fighting game because in it, you are FIGHTING.  You can't pick and choose what games belong in a genre just because you personally think it isn't worth the title.  Is the game primarily about fighting?  Then it's a fighting game.  Is the game primarily about racing?  Then it's a racing game.  Is the game primarily about going through obstacle course-like stages to reach your goal?  Then it's a platformer.  Is it Noby Noby Boy?  Then your guess is as good as mine.

Besides, Smash Bros has as deep of a, if not a deeper, fighting system as street fighter.  Just because the moves don't require retarded overly-complex and awkward D-pad movements to execute doesn't suddenly mean it's a lesser game.  So many fighting game elitists are just too snooty about it and stuck up their own ass to recognize it.  There's a reason it's played in tournaments.
"
Yeah... no Smash Bros really isn't a fighting game. Over-complex and awkward D-pad movements is what makes a fighting game. I want to feel the rage because I didn't hit the right combo, it makes winning so much fun.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shadow
Shazam said:
"Shadow said:
"pause422 said:
"McPlated said:

"
"

"
Yeah... no Smash Bros really isn't a fighting game. Over-complex and awkward D-pad movements is what makes a fighting game. I want to feel the rage because I didn't hit the right combo, it makes winning so much fun.
"
I...can't figure out....are you being sarchastic?  I mean it would be insanely stupid for that to be the legitimate opinion of anyone, but I can totally see a 2D fighting traditionalist making that argument
logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By logson

Are you guys really arguing about this here?

A lot of people seem to be in the OP's position. Anyone else want to weigh in?
Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arcitee

Gears of War is NOT an FPS yet it is still very clearly a shooting game, it seems like that type of argument over semantics.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
Shadow said:
"Besides, Smash Bros has as deep of a, if not a deeper, fighting system as street fighter.  Just because the moves don't require retarded overly-complex and awkward D-pad movements to execute doesn't suddenly mean it's a lesser game.  So many fighting game elitists are just too snooty about it and stuck up their own ass to recognize it.  There's a reason it's played in tournaments.
"
You have to be kidding me.
Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arcitee

Yeah, I rented SF4 a few hours ago, kinda glad I didnt buy it. I want to love it because it looks very cool and all the hype, but it's so hard and the d-pad sucks and I can't afford / find an Arcade Stick too...

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shazam
Shadow said:
"Shazam said:
"Shadow said:
"pause422 said:
"McPlated said:

"
"

"
"
I...can't figure out....are you being sarchastic?  I mean it would be insanely stupid for that to be the legitimate opinion of anyone, but I can totally see a 2D fighting traditionalist making that argument
"

Smash Bros really isn't a deeper fighting system, are you kidding me?It would have to actually be considered a fighting game but more importantly, Smash Bros is about spamming your characters special attack by pressing one button. Rinse, repeat. Hope you beat your opponent. Fun but not a challenge.  Which is fine, if you don't want to be challenged. Just don't ridicule other people for wanting more out of their fighting games.

Also I wasn't being "sarchastic" nor was I being sarcastic. I was telling the truth.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael

Smash Bros plays more like a 2D action platformer/party game hybrid than a traditional fighting game. I usually refer to it as a fighting game, but I don't consider it a "true" fighting game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadow
Shazam said:
"Shadow said:
"Shazam said:
"Shadow said:
"pause422 said:
"McPlated said:

"
"

"
"
"

Smash Bros really isn't a deeper fighting system, are you kidding me?It would have to actually be considered a fighting game but more importantly, Smash Bros is about spamming your characters special attack by pressing one button. Rinse, repeat. Hope you beat your opponent. Fun but not a challenge.  Which is fine, if you don't want to be challenged. Just don't ridicule other people for wanting more out of their fighting games.

Also I wasn't being "sarchastic" nor was I being sarcastic. I was telling the truth.
"

First, have you even played Brawl in anything but single player?  Sure you can get 4 people together, put all items to high, and just hope you're lucky enough to come out on top amidst the insanity.  But getting in a 1 vs 1 fight against anyone items or not, there is a huge amount of skill involved.

Second, have you tried playing SF4 online?  All the game amounts to most of the time, is jerks just spamming fireball over and over again.  Only instead of pressing one button, they make an awkward movement with their controller and THEN press one button over and over again. 

Why is that any better?  Originally, Street Fighter relied on those controls because they didn't have enough buttons to work with on older controllers.  Now, that's all the game relies upon.  If they were to make moves easy to do like they very easily could these days when controllers have four shoulder buttons, four face buttons, two analog sticks and a D-pad, and you basically have Smash Bros...but with no items, one on one only, nothing but flat stages, increased gravity, and no Nintendo characters.

Well whatever, to each their own.  I recognize that despite the fact that I can't stand playing the game, Street Fighter is still a deep fighting system for what it is.  I'm just sick of people claiming that just because the controls aren't a pain in the ass for new people to use, that suddenly makes a fighting game worse.  I mean what kind of backwards bullshit is that?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TheFreeMan
Shazam said:
"Smash Bros is about spamming your characters special attack by pressing one button. Rinse, repeat. Hope you beat your opponent."
I don't know about you man, but most people I play don't play like that, and if they do they generally get brutally curbstomped into the ground.

I think Smash is a fighting game, but I don't view it as a traditional one.....to me it's a party/fighting game. I don't know about it having as much depth as Street Fighter, but it's not as simplistic as mashing one button (because you'd lose every single time playing that way).