#1 Edited by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -
#2 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -

As they feature a picture of the Wii.

#3 Posted by Giantkitty (808 posts) -

It shows what we knew all along: most of us aren't antisocial. The only problem I have is most comic book readers aren't like that either.

#4 Posted by Shadow2K6 (381 posts) -

"Gamers are twice as likely to go out on dates as nongamers in a given month"

=P Non-gamers are antisocial.

#5 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

This is ridiculous. Gaming isn't exactly an unpopular activity anymore. It's like saying that moviegoers are pretentious, or people who listen to music live in a city.

#6 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -
Shadow2K6 said:
""Gamers are twice as likely to go out on dates as nongamers in a given month"

=P Non-gamers are antisocial."
I wish this statistic would start working in my favor.
#7 Posted by Kazona (3097 posts) -
BoG said:
"Shadow2K6 said:

I wish this statistic would start working in my favor."
*joins in the wishing*
#8 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

This study is almost certainly an excercise in statistic manipulation.  Statements such as this: 'and new gamers – those who have started playing videogames in the past two years—are 32 years old on average', can't possibly be true, but then they probably didn't survey too many 4-6 year olds.  Come to think of it, the more non-social people would have avoided taking such a survey alltogether, which might be one way the data they seem to have compiled became so skewed.  There's no way that information is factually accurate, it is more likely than not data that was collected in such a way as to achieve those results, not the results collected to achieve the data.

#9 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
Gaming isn't exactly an unpopular activity anymore.
No, it's not. But it's populated by people who play Wii Sports and Princess Debut on the DS. You don't have to be antisocial to watch a movie every once in a while, and you don't have to be antisocial to pick up a comic book and enjoy it. But when it comes to these activities, a lot of people go over the top and make it their sole hobby. Power to them, but that leads to an inability to actually discuss things with people who don't share such a dedicated interest. So, as pointed out in my first post, Wii players are not 'gamers'. They're your average joe who thinks the Wii is kind of fun, or thinks Halo is kind of fun, and doesn't mind playing it once in a while.

I still think any actual 'gamer' is still reasonably antisocial. That means the majority of you, who have managed to rank up over 100 posts on an online message board talking to people you don't know.

#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Anyone who does ______ for 30 hours a week or more and isn't getting paid is going to develop problems in some way. Game addicts can be antisocial, not game players. "Game players" is too wide of a blanket now.

#11 Edited by MichaelScott (193 posts) -
Kazona said:
"BoG said:
"Shadow2K6 said:

I wish this statistic would start working in my favor."
*joins in the wishing*"
/joins club. 

That's an intresting article. I wonder if they're counting anyone who has ever picked up a game or if its just hardcore gamers. (it orginated on IGN. Probably a decent mix.)
#12 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -
breton said:
"As they feature a picture of the Wii."
Haha, yeah I laughed when I saw that
#13 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

So what defines a gamer? Personally I'm a fairly social person, but I consider gaming to be one of my primary forms of entertainment. I'd say that I have been plaing some sort of game between 2-5 hours a night for most of the last 26 years. I skip watching tv shows I like to play games. I also like to hike, SCUBA dive, go to movies, go to dinner and on dates (with my wife), that sort of thing. I'm a busy guy.  But at the end of the night, you'll find my wife and kids asleep and me staying up until 1 am playing games.

But..I don't have extra $. That means I buy cheap/older games, don't have the newest consols. I still have an xbox with no plans to buy a ps3/360 anytime soon. Personally I'm not interested in a Wii because I consider gaming to be a mellow activity, and I don't want to be swinging controllers around (other than in anger).
I consider myself to be a gamer. I mostly play on the PC because the kinds of games I like are generally better on the PC. I think that this is slowly changing and consol games will get more and more complex..hopefully.
 I guess what I'm getting at is that gamers come in a wide variety. Just becuase you don't consider Wii to be the system of a 'real' gamer doesn't mean they don't consider themselves to be a 'gamer'. Personally I'd define a gamer as someone like myself: a person who considers playing video games to be one of their primary forms of entertainment.
 To me that article says that gaming has become more integrated with our culture, more mainstream. More 'normal' people play games regularly.   I have to say that I remember a time when only geeky/nerdy types played games. To give an idea, I remember having to TYPE my own games into the computer. You got a book of code and typed a zillion pages of lines (which took HOURS) just to play a text based game (which usually sucked). My first games (which I got on the VIC-20..that was a computer with 5 KB of ram and a tape drive) were way lamer than the games that came with my current cell phone. Being a 'real' gamer is a matter of self-definition, at least that's my feeling.

#14 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I think anyone who even remotely played game even 10-15 years ago knew this fact. It's just taking conservative neanderthals a bit longer to realize.