• 142 results
#1 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

Hey all - 

We're in the middle of setting up the archive for this weeks happy hour. As you know, we made the live version free to everyone for this week. We'd like to continue doing it this way the last week of every month, or at the least every other month. The reasons are pretty simple for us. 

1. It allows us to bring in special guests like the Bastian team and help them reach a larger audience.
  2. It helps us show off the benefits of subscription... which apparently is a drunk Tested team.

I think it went pretty well and this was one of our better shows. Right now we're considering putting the archive for this week's show up and available for everyone in the same fashion, but to be honest, we don't feel comfortable making that decision without you guys giving us the OK. 

If you have a second and are a subscriber, please let us know your thoughts. I think we're all mature enough for this kind of feedback to not start into a war, really we just want to make sure we're delivering on the promise of extra content that you're paying  for. If for some reason you think opening up these occasional shows to non-subscribers is a bad idea, we'll certainly go with your decision. 

I'll also add that we've had more new subscribers added today than any day since the Big Live Live Show, so for us, it certainly makes sense to open these occasional shows up. If you have any thoughts on the matter feel free to let us know here, or if you feel uncomfortable about it, send me a personal email at dave@whiskeymedia.com. 

Thanks! 

UPDATE: Based on everyone's feedback I'm gonna tell Vinny to go ahead and put the archive up for all members. We're gonna adjust the chat so that all future free live shows are subscriber only for chatting, as we're still aiming these things as conversations between the community and the studio. We'll continue the conversation on how often we should be opening these up, but it's definitely not going to be more than once every month. Thanks for everyone's opinions.
#2 Posted by mattjam3000 (445 posts) -

I agree this should be archieved. However I think the open to all happy hour should only be once every few months, otherwise it will too often I feel

#3 Posted by Mu5hy (124 posts) -

I don't care, let everyone have it.  JUST SEND ME MY T-SHIRT ALREADY.

#4 Posted by RelentlessKnight (965 posts) -

I think its great for everyone.. It will appeal to people who wished to subscribe or just a taste of what the subscription will be like

#5 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Let everyone see it the more the merrier tis' the season anyway.

#6 Posted by Shayera (40 posts) -

If it helps to get more subscribers I don't see the problem.

#7 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

Just do it like every fourth or something. So yeah, last every month. And the archive for the free shows should be available for everyone.

#8 Posted by PlainZombie (17 posts) -

Honestly I think it's a good idea. I think the people who don't subscribe get to see what they are missing and, as we can see, decide to subscribe in larger numbers than any other day. As for the archive version, I figure if the show was free live, why penalize the non subscribed members who couldn't catch it live? Make that episode open to everyone even after the live airing, again kind of as a sampler for what they are missing most weeks of the year.

#9 Posted by Zithe (1040 posts) -

I say open them up, especially if they are going to have content similar to the Bastion thing today. Once a month doesn't sound too bad. Maybe you could skip the occasional month, because 1 in 4 is quite generous to give away.

#10 Edited by Treythalomew (97 posts) -

I think it should be archived for everyone when it was open but I'd like to see the the free ones be every other month then. Otherwise I'd be equal okay with a once a month but non archived edition. 

Another suggestion is to open up an archived live show maybe a month or two later. That way people who don't subscribe can see what exactly they are about without really damaging the value of the subscribed users.

The live show was awesome for the 20 minutes I saw of it too.

#11 Posted by DerekDanahy (880 posts) -

I think making the Happy Hour show free to non-subscribers every other month instead of every month is a better idea. But I think archiving it to free users is a good idea.

#12 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

It was a great idea, after seeing the show I can't wait too subscribe :) Didn't really it being worth the money till before now! Even though I agree on every month being a bit too often for a free one, and you should defiantly make the archive of the free episodes free. 

#13 Posted by Sin4profit (3000 posts) -

you can make them all free for all i care..less frustrating for me if i want to watch an archived episode and they seem to be released the next day anyway.
Whiles i'm voting...i want "groups". basically a forum of members that self police the groups they are a member of and funnels forum topics into a more general audence. ex. Retro gamer group where you can talk about the news in retro gaming, arcades, consoles, pinball...rather then everyone putting general information in the general discussions thread.

#14 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -

I'm OK with a free show, although I think bi-monthly would be better than monthly.  The chat was crazy.

The archive of the free show can remain free as well.

#15 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Even though I am not a subscriber yet, I think this idea is great for people who are willing to give it a chance. At least they will get a general idea of what to expect, I know I have!

Love this website. Love how it interacts with its audience and asks for their opinion. It's a true honor to be here. 

#16 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I guess this is alright, but then again why not make the Bastion features a front page item rather than a Happy Hour segment? 

I am all for a free episode of the Happy Hour but not too keen on it being every month. I mean maybe every once in a while have a free show just to get those not in the know educated and shit. More subscribers means more awesome from you guys so that's not terrible at all, however I do still want to feel a little special when it comes to exclusive content.

MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY DAMMIT!

#17 Posted by NathHaw (2802 posts) -

Every other month sounds alright. 

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I think it's great that you are turning to the community with this issue, I can't think of another major site out there which would actually ask its users advice on how the subscription service should be run. Personally I think making the last Happy Hour of every week free, both live and archived is a great idea. I didn't get the chance to watch the Happy Hour live this week  but as soon as the archive goes up I'll get to watching and I'm sure it'll be as good as it always is. You guys keep doing awesome work.

#19 Posted by Beforet (2932 posts) -

I think it's a great idea.

#20 Posted by xanavi (179 posts) -

I'm totally on board with whatever you guys want to do. It doesn't hurt me none, and I won't stop giving you guys money just because you're giving more content to non-subscribers.

#21 Edited by hamchan (54 posts) -

Sure, yeah that's a good idea. Keep thinking up new content for subscribers though!

#22 Posted by Jeffmoocow (125 posts) -

I wouldn't say every single month but every other month or something like that wouldn't be bad.

#23 Posted by AlisterCat (5717 posts) -

I feel that if the live show is shown for free then it should be archived for free. Otherwise it's only free for a select audience. I live in the Uk and while I am willing to stay up from midnight until 2am to watch these it's not possible for others to. So to reach that wider audience I feel you need to archive those free shows. I can certainly see the danger though. If people know they are getting a live show free every now and again they are less likely to subscribe. The balance is tough and once a month might be often enough for some people but it is good to show what you guys get up to and just to give the regular members something to keep them coming to the site once a month more anyway.

As for making the shows free once a month, I think it is a good idea for the reasons posted. Mainly because of the Bastion coverage. If that stuff is going to be exclusive to the live show then I think everyone would like to see it and not being able to see it would put them off a subscription more than to get one to see the show. I also think we need a forum to discuss subscription matters and more feedback from the staff because a lot of people are getting very agitated about the subscription and lots of threads about subscription issues.

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

I dunno, archive at least one episode so new people can see what the show is about.

#25 Posted by the_korben (66 posts) -

It would be great if as many people as possible could enjoy your show. Free access once a month seems fair to me. There's only one thing to sort out first: in today's show, we had to endure ads during (and throughout) the show. On all previous occasions ads were only shown once after joining the live stream. If that was due to the fact that today's show was not password protected, definitely keep that in mind, and do something about it. At least the subscribers should not endure more ads during those all-access shows.

#26 Posted by EkajArmstro (397 posts) -

I'm completely fine with the show being sometimes free...

but put the awesome-est stuff in the exclusive ones :P

#27 Edited by White_Silhouette (476 posts) -

I think this free show should be free when archived. For the simple reason that I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish they could have been there but couldn't due to timezones, work or other reasons. The live hours are awesome, and I'm not against making it so that once a month or so of making it so that all members of whiskey can watch it. I really like the idea of guests as well. I'm sure it'll be hard to round people up but it was interesting when they are on.

#28 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -
@snide said:
 I'll also add that we've had more new subscribers added today than any day since the Big Live Live Show, so for us, it certainly makes sense to open these occasional shows up.
If this is true then why not. Being able to watch videos in HD is enough for me anyways.
#29 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

OK, I say give it to them. For the same reason as the archives are posted normally: Not everyone can watch it live. It would feel unfair otherwise I feel.
Don't do it too often though. I think every time the Bastion team is on should be nice.
Also, get the PayPal stuff working, and advertise a bit that it's actually coming.. That should lead to some more subscribers I think

#30 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
@snide said:
" Bastian "
*gasp*
#31 Posted by Th3_James (2579 posts) -

Hey Dave, any way we could get TNT's uploaded to Giantbomb.com?  

If I miss the stream, I would like to have an HD version on Giantbomb.com

#32 Posted by dvdhaus (357 posts) -

Making this free entices those to subscribe.  I think adding the extra half-hour or more when you have a guest like the Bastion team was a great idea.  Everytime that game is shown makes me excited about it. 

#33 Posted by error5305 (275 posts) -

I think if you open up these every so often (which clearly was a success) then yes, it would make sense to archive those specific shows for non-subscribers.. 

Maybe they could/should be locked after a a certain amount of time, say when the next open happy hour is?

#34 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

As a non-subscriber I fully endorse this move!

#35 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Archive it for everyone since it was an 'everyone show.' Having it be a free show once a month is a good idea so people can get an idea of what their subscription goes towards. 
Big props for getting community response to this though - definitely shows that you guys are great at working with and care about your audience.

#36 Posted by Falconer (1707 posts) -

I am in support of this. I saw one or two non-members in the Tested chat saying something along the lines of "I'm so subscribing now". I know exactly how they feel too. I was only a silver member because I was low on cash. But then I saw a truly epic live show, had the money, and hit GO on a yearly membership. You said yourself you have the numbers to prove that it was a good idea, at least from a financial standpoint. I think you'll continue to pull in new member this way. 

#37 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -

I see no reason why not.

#38 Posted by Sin4profit (3000 posts) -

On second thought... I'm fine with the show being free but chat should still be member exclusive.

#39 Posted by itsmadness (143 posts) -

Go for it.

#40 Posted by error5305 (275 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:
" On second thought... I'm fine with the show being free but chat should still be member exclusive. "
#41 Posted by Juvenfly (125 posts) -

How will folks know what they're missing if you never let them get a little taste?  Any good smack dea--er...content provider knows the first one's free.  Once a month or once every other month sounds good.  And putting up an archived version of those shows totally makes sense.  Some of us in different time zones with weird schedules have a hard time consistently making it to see it live...I'm sure that holds for nonsubscribers as well.

#42 Posted by Forcen (1854 posts) -

i'm all for it!

#43 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

sounds like a good idea to me, especially if it gives games like bastion a bigger audience...that game looks awesome

#44 Posted by BionicShoulder (1 posts) -

I would agree that every other month or so would be a great promotion for non-subscribers to see what all the fuss is and to get cool guest on to a wider audience.  The weekly show is excellent and would cause me to become a paid member if I hadn't already.

#45 Posted by DoctorDr (17 posts) -
Everyone should be able to experience a live comic vine preview theatre and tested live, But then whats the incentive for people to become members, a shirt (an awesome one) , gb mobile(there is a free alternative)  and hd downloads(does that get used alot?) 
#46 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...give us who paid the yearly more stuff. 

All I use is the mobile, and HD video.  I don't watch Happy Hour because I have things to do on Fridays evenings that don't involve watching grown men get drunk.  

#47 Edited by smcn (926 posts) -

I'm fine with the archived version being free. "Enhanced community interaction" (in this case asking questions during Happy Hour) should remain a perk for subscribers. 

EDIT: I'd also be fine with the live show being free if the chat was subscriber-only.

#48 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -
@the_korben said:
" It would be great if as many people as possible could enjoy your show. Free access once a month seems fair to me. There's only one thing to sort out first: in today's show, we had to endure ads during (and throughout) the show. On all previous occasions ads were only shown once after joining the live stream. If that was due to the fact that today's show was not password protected, definitely keep that in mind, and do something about it. At least the subscribers should not endure more ads during those all-access shows. "
I agree that those ads were incredibly annoying, but it shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the stream wasn't password protected since I have never had that issue during a TNT. 

On topic: I like once every other month, but I am not going to whine about it if it is every month.
#49 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

No, only if you make justin.tv show just one ad and only one before the show starts then it's okay.

#50 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -
@DerekDanahy said:
" I think making the Happy Hour show free to non-subscribers every other month instead of every month is a better idea. But I think archiving it to free users is a good idea. "
Agreeing :)