• 61 results
#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

What I mean is things in a game that aren't necessarily key to the experience but when you see them it puts a big ole grin on your face.

For me I'd have to go with reload animations. Whether it be an fps or tps ( max Payne 3 had some good ones) I just fucking adore a solid reload animation. One that really sticks to me is Far cry 2, just love the click n clack of them guns. I have a few more but I wanna see what you duders think.

EDIT: I also love a great blood splatter (I'm a sick man obviously) and one game that I always think of is L4D2

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

When you walk up or down stairs and there's a specific animation for it instead of the normal walking/running animation.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ That's a good one. Also like when someone is on a ledge or something and they put one foot up on it instead of the awkward two feet standing on a tiny ledge
#4 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: This sticks out to me too - LA Noire comes to mind, where Cole got this kind of jaunty jogging animation when going down stairs. In fact, any animations that demonstrate an awareness of the environment really stand out, like the way that Ezio twists his torso/shoulders to get past people in a crowd.

#5 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Looking down and seeing your own character's feet in an fps game.

#6 Posted by mikey87144 (1729 posts) -

Being able to holster or sling the gun over your avatars shoulder in fps games.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11795 posts) -

Just good animations in general. The smaller things, really.

Also, atmosphere seems to be almost completely made by "the smaller things", like certain noises and things happening at certain times. They sound boring and unimportant when describing them but they contribute so much to an amazing game.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Everything Remedy does, they are the masters of subtlety. 

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11834 posts) -
#10 Posted by Patman99 (1579 posts) -

I love animations. I love animations that do not feel like they are taking control away from the player but make the action look a little more cinematic. For example, in Uncharted 3 when Drake runs, his arms flail, his head bobs around trying to scan the environment, or when his arms go up to touch walls or other objects as he runs past them just make the game feel that much more real. Although Im not a huge fan of many Japanese games, the way they do animations is spectacular. Dragon's Dogma has some great animations for when your character jumps or rolls on the ground or swings a sword.

Also I am a sucker for rotoscoped animations.

#11 Posted by Zlimness (553 posts) -

Dead Space was full of subtle touches. I remember walking under a ceiling that was dripping with water and the water droplets actually hit your character. I wasn't expecting that kind of detail, but it was all the better for it.

#12 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

Mass Effect on the Normandy there are two guards posted by the meeting room (or whatever it was called); when you walk by them they salute their commander. You can't interact with them in any way, but, when you walk by them they go to the position of attention and render a salute like they should.

#13 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Lifelike and at least somewhat dynamic animations, Dragon's Dogma's characters grabbing onto sloped ledges and stairways as a recent example. I especially disliked the canned takedown animations in Deus Ex: HR and The Witcher 2.

#14 Edited by Jeust (10550 posts) -

I hope they stop cutting corners in games, like giving both love interests the same name to lessen the number of spoken dialogue lines.

#15 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Uncharted 2 was really good at this, having the main character react to his surroundings through animation. Things like shielding his face when running past fire, and so on. That's the only thing I can remember, in fact...still, I found it really impressive at the time.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Gun accuracy in general (as in accurate to real life.) I really appreciate when you take a mag out of an M4 that still has a round in the chamber in Medal of Honor all you do is put in another mag and when you run out, you just slap the bolt release after putting in a new mag. Subtleties like that always make me appreciate the game more. I've still yet to see a game where the character you're playing is displaying proper trigger discipline, however...

I also appreciate, like others have mentioned, a different animation for walking up stairs/hills. The first time I played a game that had that it was awesome (I think it was GTA4? Not sure...)

#17 Posted by Commander_Crichton (155 posts) -

I remember having my mind blown by MGS 3 back in the day when I realised that Snake's Colt 45. would have a silencer or be missing one in cutscenes, depending on whether I had equipped it.

I just really like the consistency of having the gun you were wielding when you triggered a cutscene, be the same one that your character has in that cutscene. A game that does this well is Max Payne 3, another recent example of a game that doesn't do a great job at it would be Spec Ops The Line, at least judging by the demo.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Just good animations in general. The smaller things, really.

Also, atmosphere seems to be almost completely made by "the smaller things", like certain noises and things happening at certain times. They sound boring and unimportant when describing them but they contribute so much to an amazing game.

Pretty much this.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

FPS's where when you look down, you see your legs.

it really adds to the game, and makes you feel like you're not a floating orb with gun arms.

#20 Posted by Levius (1108 posts) -

I really, really love how Max will shield him self with his arm when you dive into something in Max Payne 3

#21 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

it really adds to the game, and makes you feel like you're not a floating orb with gun arms.

Yea, I don't get why this isn't standard in this day and age.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (11834 posts) -

Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.

#23 Posted by JaredA (822 posts) -

I really like the secret easter eggs Bungie puts in their Halo games

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I like when they model objects in the enviroment , not boxes or crates but small objects that move fall and break when you interact with them, windows that you can actually shoot and break stuff like that.

#25 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I have a fondness for awesome reload animations too, Killzone's are pretty amazing, the nitty gritty details on the weapons are amazing and the accompanying sound effects are really great too.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i also like turning on TVs, sinks, bathtubs, stuff like that. has no purpose, but you're just messing with stuff in the environment. i always leave all the sinks running, cus if im in your base shooting your dudes, im gonna cause water damage too, cus FUCK YOU.

#27 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

What I mean is things in a game that aren't necessarily key to the experience but when you see them it puts a big ole grin on your face. For me I'd have to go with reload animations. Whether it be an fps or tps ( max Payne 3 had some good ones) I just fucking adore a solid reload animation. One that really sticks to me is Far cry 2, just love the click n clack of them guns. I have a few more but I wanna see what you duders think. EDIT: I also love a great blood splatter (I'm a sick man obviously) and one game that I always think of is L4D2

Perfect Dark for the N64 had some pretty great reload animations for a few of the weapons, I recall.

Regarding L4D2, I love the body deformation tech Valve applied to all the zombies. You can blow holes through them, knock off limbs realistically, and you get a nice mess of organs flying everywhere when you explode them.

#28 Edited by Dagbiker (6969 posts) -

@Jeust said:

I hope they stop cutting corners in games, like giving both love interests the same name to lessen the number of spoken dialogue lines.

I had no idea what you were talking about, then i saw your avatar, and it then clicked.

Easter eggs, or Inside jokes. Too many can ruin them but I like a few placed just in my path, and just obvious enough that I will get it.

#29 Posted by skyline7284 (505 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Everything Remedy does, they are the masters of subtlety.

I mean those thermoses in Alan Wake weren't exactly... subtle...

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Given the games I've been playing recently (Persona 4, Skyrim, Dead Rising 2), I'd like to see at least one game where you eat two hundred potatoes and then spend the next hour vomiting blood.

#31 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

A smooth animation for when you turn to walk in another direction, Uncharted does this very well and many other games don't.

#32 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

@CookieMonster said:

Looking down and seeing your own character's feet in an fps game.

Always thought it's kinda weird to just see the legs. Dunno 'bout you - but when I look down I see my whole body. Trespasser: Jurassic Park had it just right.

#33 Posted by GunstarRed (5118 posts) -

Mostly the little animations when you leave characters alone. One of my favourites is the way Cole shakes his hands in infamous it makes him feel like he really is full of electricity. Platformers used to be awesome for that kind of animation years ago.

#34 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Weather effects, especially if they are well done and going under a bridge or standing under a tree doesn't just have rain passing through them as well (skyrim and red dead ha amazing weather).

I also love when my character gets dirty or wet running through rivers ot mud, just little details like that really pull me into the world.

#35 Edited by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -
  1. Being able to holster or point your weapon at the ground in FPS games. Some RPG games offer this now, but most standard shooters still have you talking to someone while pointing a gun in their face. I'd love to see different reactions from the NPCs if you talk to them with your weapon drawn versus holstered.
  2. Different footstep sounds considering the terrain and the acoustics of the building. I'd expand that to the sound from weapon's fire, too.
  3. Spent shell casings on the ground when you get into a firefight.
  4. Being able to see your character in a mirror. I know this is done sometimes because the game character is supposed to be whoever you imagine him to be, but I still find it jarring to live in a world where there are no mirrors.

One thing I'm not sure if I'd like to see or not, but I think I would is required basic necessities to maintaining health. By that I mean, you need to eat, sleep, bath, poop, etc... I remember playing with some Elder Scrolls Oblivion mods that added required eating and bathing to the game. If you didn't eat every day, you're skills deteriorated and the same occurred with bathing although it wasn't required everyday. I guess more mundane aspects would be fun to play through. Or it might get in the way of the game play. It would depend on the game, obviously, but having to do all the things we have to do in reality, in game might be interesting. Instead of just figuring out if you have enough gold for a sword, worrying that you still need to buy dinner and a bed for the night could add an element of realism to already outlandish situations.

#36 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

i also like turning on TVs, sinks, bathtubs, stuff like that. has no purpose, but you're just messing with stuff in the environment. i always leave all the sinks running, cus if im in your base shooting your dudes, im gonna cause water damage too, cus FUCK YOU.

i thought i was the only one

#37 Posted by emilknievel (70 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

This.

Pißwasser all the way!

#38 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Gear the changes your characters appearance. It can make a pretty bad game thoroughly enjoyable and a game that is solid mechanically lose a lot of its staying power.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4967 posts) -

I really like all the back-lore and callbacks to previous games that Blizzard has put in Diablo 3. You know, like finding the diary of a certain caravan owner from Diablo II next to his body or someone talking about how much had a certain boy changed since some Fallen torn out his leg.

In general, I like me some meaningful easter eggs and meta-game references, especially when they are accompanied by some fleshed out lore, like in the case of Diablo. You know, the pleasure of recognition and all that.

#40 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@PenguinDust
  1. Being able to holster or point your weapon at the ground in FPS games. Some RPG games offer this now, but most standard shooters still have you talking to someone while pointing a gun in their face. I'd love to see different reactions from the NPCs if you talk to them with your weapon drawn versus holstered.
  2. Different footstep sounds considering the terrain and the acoustics of the building. I'd expand that to the sound from weapon's fire, too.
  3. Spent shell casings on the ground when you get into a firefight.
  4. Being able to see your character in a mirror. I know this is done sometimes because the game character is supposed to be whoever you imagine him to be, but I still find it jarring to live in a world where there are no mirrors.

One thing I'm not sure if I'd like to see or not, but I think I would is required basic necessities to maintaining health. By that I mean, you need to eat, sleep, bath, poop, etc... I remember playing with some Elder Scrolls Oblivion mods that added required eating and bathing to the game. If you didn't eat every day, you're skills deteriorated and the same occurred with bathing although it wasn't required everyday. I guess more mundane aspects would be fun to play through. Or it might get in the way of the game play. It would depend on the game, obviously, but having to do all the things we have to do in reality, in game might be interesting. Instead of just figuring out if you have enough gold for a sword, worrying that you still need to buy dinner and a bed for the night could add an element of realism to already outlandish situations.

Relating to yor last point I do love games with a "hardcore mode". When I played new Vegas I played it on there ( you had to eat sleep drink water, couldnt heal limbs without a doctor and followers could die). It made it so much more gritty and real. I remember a point early on where both y legs were crippled and I wandered around just hoping to find a place to spend the night, maybe find some water. God I need play that again
#41 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Everything in Symphony of the Night.

#42 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

I love animations. I love animations that do not feel like they are taking control away from the player but make the action look a little more cinematic. For example, in Uncharted 3 when Drake runs, his arms flail, his head bobs around trying to scan the environment, or when his arms go up to touch walls or other objects as he runs past them just make the game feel that much more real.

This is my choice as well!

#43 Posted by L1GHTN1N (448 posts) -
@Clonedzero said:

This. I really wish not being able to see your body or legs in game was the exception rather than the rule. 

I also love a good shotgun in any kind of shooter. Rage had a lot of issues, but that shotgun with my sub woofer sounded great and it did great damage, probably the only reason I played it as long as I did. Same thing with Doom 3, and why Quake never grabbed me as much as it should have. 

And as others have said, just little animations showing awareness of the environment. I loved in the Darkness 1 and 2 how he would move his hands around when he was up against a wall or object, even though it looked a little odd at times. You could also look down and see your body in both? of them as well. 
#44 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

on a more specific note, max payne 3. the animations are brilliant, but more specifically, how the weapons work.

you get 2 one handed guns, and one two handed gun. when you use you're two handed gun, you see the one handed guns on your holster harness thing. when you pull out a one handed gun like a pistol, you hold the rifle in your other hand. if you try to dual wield, you drop your two handed weapon. it just looks right and works perfectly. the weapons never just warp to your back floating 2 inches off your back like its got an invisible glue blob holding it in place. all the weapons are THERE. it just really sells it. it never feels arbitary and it just makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable because the logic of it is so obvious that you're never mad that "oh i cant have an assault rifle and a shotgun this game sucks". instead you're like "well i cant carry that cus that makes no sense, if i want that AK-47, i gotta drop this shotgun" "if i want to dual wield my pistols i gotta drop my rifle, because how am i going to hold the damn thing?"

#45 Posted by Berserker976 (340 posts) -

I'm going to go with games that let you shoot explosives like rockets out of the air.

Most recently I found I was able to shoot explosive ballista bolts out of the air with my arrows in Dragon's Dogma.

It's always satisfying.

#46 Edited by Jeust (10550 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Jeust said:

I had no idea what you were talking about, then i saw your avatar, and it then clicked.

Easter eggs, or Inside jokes. Too many can ruin them but I like a few placed just in my path, and just obvious enough that I will get it.

Yeah, sometimes the plot got confusing because of this simplification. I wished there was a more diverse and flexible story in place.

#47 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

I like when the environment actually has an impact on the character's appearance. For example if you walk through water the character's pants will be wet and drip for some time, or get dirty if they are running through a forest, etc.

#48 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Flashy, crazy combat animations highlighted by bright red sprays splattering the walls and floor.

Not subtle..

Well, I love good atmosphere too.

#49 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@JaredA said:
Halo has easter eggs? Examples?
#50 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JaredA said:
Halo has easter eggs? Examples?

Grunt Birthday Party.