#1 Edited by Slag (4864 posts) -

Or Professional Wednesdays or whatever it ends up being called.

Anyway I like the idea of this show, I'm appreciative that Giant Bomb is starting to crank out new shows. Especially a long one like this one. But I've got one major quibble with this show, it feels pretty redundant when many of these games are going to be Quick Looked or have been already anyway.

So my suggestion is to change it to a show where they only cover new DLC releases. I think there's a market demand for that kind of content and it would help further differentiate the show from others the Giant Bomb crew already has.

Let's face it DLC is likely not going away anytime soon, like or not. Giant Bomb might as well turn this trend to their advantage.

DLC, I feel as a consumer, is something that is a very risky proposition to buy and something I'd really appreciate more critical coverage of. Great games can have some of the worst DLC. So the base game is no indicator of quality.

A lotof DLC seem to be utter garbage and since they don't receive the coverage or marketing the full blown releases get it's hard to truly know until you purchase it. I feel like there usually is a lot of buzz out there on whether a game will be good or not. But DLC? That's a crapshoot. The few times I've personally bought some in the past year have generally ended up being severe cases of Buyer's Remorse. I don't think I'm alone in that experience. .

I.e. I don't need Giant Bomb's opinion on the new SimCity game (which I knew I wouldn't like) nearly as much as I do Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (which looks surprisingly decent).

And DLC is often short, which means Quick Looks of them often probably show much more of them than really needs to be seen or perhaps even should be seen. So perhaps the coverage of DLC would better suited to an aggregated format show anyway.

So in short leave the game coverage to Quick Looks and make this new show a runthrough of new DLC.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by NoRemnants (386 posts) -

Is there really enough DLC each week to fill an entire show?

#3 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2403 posts) -

The major releases sure can be a bit redundant, but I don't think there will be quick looks or the ArMA 3 alpha, or that fishing iOS game. I think the show should focus on the games the won't be in formal quick looks on but instead do a litteral quick look (say 10-15 mintues) of said games.

#4 Posted by Wacomole (836 posts) -

Bear in mind that the show is not just for Giant Bomb, but also goes out on Gamespot.

#5 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Play Battlefield 3, when the occassion arises. Endgame has been released this week to all Premium customers, and its always fun see the GB crew play BF3.

Where are the damn quicklooks for all these BF3 expansions? Seriously.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

I don't think there's enough notable DLC to be worth a whole show. Unless it's like once a month instead of each week. I think a dedicated DLC section of the show wouldn't be a bad idea though.

#7 Edited by Slag (4864 posts) -

@noremnants: That's a good question. I honestly have no concrete idea if there is or isn't.

It seems like most major AAA releases have them now, so I would think there would be enough at least for a biweekly show. But that's just a guess.

@oscar__explosion: Yeah you're right, that did seem to happen last week. They didn't Quick Look either of the Baseball titles. That I suppose is another concern of mine that this show might prevent some Quick Looks from happening. I guess I'd just rather see them quick look as much as they can and save this show for something else.

If they keep the current format, I like your idea a lot.

@wacomole: Not really sure how this doesn't apply to Gamespot also? They probably review all these newly released titles as well, making it just as redundant or even more so for them.

@truthtellah: You might be right about that and that may be a better way to handle it at least initially.

But frankly I don't care if DLC is obscure or not, if anything the DLC that is obscure is the hardest to know if it's a safe buy or not.

#8 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@oscar__explosion: drew and vinny are doing an arma 3 QL actually (they said so on the show, in fact).

#9 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2403 posts) -

@animasta said:

@oscar__explosion: drew and vinny are doing an arma 3 QL actually (they said so on the show, in fact).

Huh. Must of glossed over that. It just seem strange that they wouldn't save it for the full release. Or maybe it makes perfect sense to do the alpha for potential hilarity.

#10 Edited by ottoman673 (568 posts) -

There's only one way to improve this show:

less gamespot. Those dudes are cool and all but mixing Giant Bomb and Gamespot is kind of like mixing daisies and shit together. It's just a strange product that doesn't come together well.. especially since a majority of the show was Vinny taking shots at the host [who's name I can't recall]

#11 Edited by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Here's some suggestions:

1. Don't make people play games they have no interest in (I'm obviously talking about Patrick playing baseball/shooter games).
  2. It's good to be funny and all, but sometimes you need to be serious a bit and explain the games you're showing. Simply going "Ha I don't know what this is lol this game is so quircky" for an entire segment gets old quick.
  3. Hire an intern again or someone dedicated to the chat for relaying questions from the community.

Basically my suggestions would only make the show on par with the old gamespot show "On the Spot" where they would demo new games but at least they knew what they were talking about (most of the time).

#12 Edited by Veektarius (5015 posts) -

@ottoman673: Daisies and shit would probably go together pretty well, considering that shit is fertilizer. I'm no gardener, but it makes sense to me. Similarly, I think that Gamespot's lead writers (that is, Waters & VanOrd) mix very well. It's the more junior ones that do not seem to have the screen presence or spontaneous comedy ability to match up with what GB can offer.

#13 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

There's only one way to improve this show:

less gamespot. Those dudes are cool and all but mixing Giant Bomb and Gamespot is kind of like mixing daisies and shit together. It's just a strange product that doesn't come together well.. especially since a majority of the show was Vinny taking shots at the host [who's name I can't recall]

taking shots? it's called banter.

people like you and that other guy are reading into this with a presubscribed gamespot prejudice or something, because it wasn't nearly as terrible as you're suggesting.

#14 Edited by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

Stuff 2 Gamespot and 2 Giantbomb staff into the Shrink Shack. See which group comes out alive.

#15 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

If someone says a secret phrase like "I don't know", dump green slime on them.

#16 Posted by Shakey1245 (67 posts) -

I'm confident that they'll get the format of the show down eventually but might I suggest that if they are to make a Giant Bomb/GameSpot CBSi crossover once a week that they call it Bomb the Spot.

#17 Posted by Slag (4864 posts) -

@ottoman673: Well I was kind of assuming that option wasn't on the table. In any event personally I'm willing to give the show's chemistry the chance to gel. This group has not really worked together like this much. The Giant Bomb guys were pretty stiff on camera back in their gamespot days too.

@vinny_says:

I agree with you on 1 and 2. A little prep work would go a long way to making the show more informative, and frankly create opportunities for better jokes too.

As far as three goes, they seem like they got people idle for long periods of time so I'm not sure that's necessary. Seems like the Shrink Shack guys could be fielding those while the front crew is demoing and vice versa.

I'm confident that they'll get the format of the show down eventually but might I suggest that if they are to make a Giant Bomb/GameSpot CBSi crossover once a week that they call it Bomb the Spot.

I like GameBomb myself. Oh wait......Somebody already has that name. :)

http://gamebomb.ru/

#18 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Needs more knives and baseball bats.

#19 Edited by spykereightsix (80 posts) -

I agree; the show is terribly redundant. Personally I was hoping for a new endurance run, or perhaps each show is dedicated to playing a classic (a la Game Center).

#20 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Every wednesday a new person gets stabbed, but you don't know who or when.