Suggestion - Original content only

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey,

I hope I am posting this in the right section.

This is a suggestion for whomever it might be that is in charge of designing the website. I think that there should be an option here to see only the stuff from Giant Bomb when coming to the site. A page with - just - original content.

I know that there is already a button to view subscriber content, another for just quick look videos and yet another articles. But there is no button for just "giant bomb" stuff.

At the moment I am typing this, pretty much the whole front page is filled with what I consider to be ads (game trailers/adverts).

Usually it isn't this much, and all game websites do this, but when I pay premium for something, it is to get an ad-free ("noise-free" as I see it) product. I don't care about trailers at all. AT ALL. If a game seems promising I'd probably hear about it on the bombcast or see it on a quick look eventually as I visit this site every week.

I'm not saying that GB shouldn't post trailers, or that subscribers shouldn't see them. Many people probably do want to see some trailers (but anecdotally speaking; many seem against as well), I just want a little button or profile setting that shows me Giant Bomb and not all those ads.

I've missed so much stuff because all these ads overwhelm me when I come to this site. I'm honestly in no mood to sift through it. I've been on here since the 'arrow-pointing-down'-days and seeing those Ryan memorials made me a little regretful that I missed great content that I would've loved to read/see at the time.

I hope someone takes this under consideration because I know that I would enjoy GB even more than I do now and perhaps other people might as well. Thank you for reading.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

You have to get a yearly premium membership if you do not want to see ads. Or... well, someone else will mention it.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just go to their youtube, man.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So wait, you basically just want a way to not see trailers? Just use the different video links

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Regal

You have to get a yearly premium membership if you do not want to see ads. Or... well, someone else will mention it.

Seems to be no difference between monthly and yearly that I could tell. Perhaps since I live in Europe.

But then you miss premium content, as well as reviews and articles.

So wait, you basically just want a way to not see trailers? Just use the different video links

Yes this is what I do. I usually look at the quick look tab and then look in the premium tab. The point is that a lot slip through the cracks that don't fit into either category. Not very elegant in the long run. 'All original content' would be more parsimonious and intuitive in my opinion.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regal: eh fair enough. I don't have an issue (as someone who also doesn't give two shits about trailers), but there's certainly no harm in such an option.

You get my vote.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of those trailers are up there to keep a friendly relationship with publishers.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nictel said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of those trailers are up there to keep a friendly relationship with publishers.

Really? Considering the amount of trailers that don't go up on Giant Bomb, I really feel like it's only stuff that Alex/Patrick/Jeff are specifically interested in. This site has become so popular that I don't think a relationship with publishers is something they even have to consider any more.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@regal said:

@believer258 said:

Seems to be no difference between monthly and yearly that I could tell. Perhaps since I live in Europe.

@grissefar said:

But then you miss premium content, as well as reviews and articles.

@rick_fingers said:

Yes this is what I do. I usually look at the quick look tab and then look in the premium tab. The point is that a lot slip through the cracks that don't fit into either category. Not very elegant in the long run. 'All original content' would be more parsimonious and intuitive in my opinion.

I don't know what you see, but when I go to look at the description of premium services, monthly buys you access to premium content and yearly buys you that and an ad-free browsing experience. It's very, very explicit about this.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what you see, but when I go to look at the description of premium services, monthly buys you access to premium content and yearly buys you that and an ad-free browsing experience. It's very, very explicit about this.

Monthly always got rid of ads for me, just the same as yearly. Not sure why the description says otherwise.

But he's talking specifically about trailers, not actual ads.

ScriptKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ScriptKitty

Original Idea: Combine Vinco and the Store.

...Or just replace the Store with Vinco

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#15  Edited By audioBusting

I braced myself for a shit thread, but this is actually a pretty good idea. I don't like how the trailers clutter up the feed sometimes, and there's no easy way to exclude them. Heck, maybe there should be a customizable content feed page so we can filter the site content as we like it. The search function doesn't work well enough to do that.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Is there that much content going up everyday that it gets lost that easily? This isn't IGN. And you don't want to see trailers? Ok, fair enough I guess, but how many really go up anyway?

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Is there that much content going up everyday that it gets lost that easily? This isn't IGN. And you don't want to see trailers? Ok, fair enough I guess, but how many really go up anyway?

Who knows how often he visits the site? Maybe he doesn't have time to check every day, and by the time he does, content that he would want to see is already pushed off the front page.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know they've definitely heard this request before, but it may have fallen off the radar when Dave left. I do remember hearing them talk about requests for an original content feed, though. I think it would be cool to have a big bucket of all the various content minus the trailers. Sometimes I just want to jump back to a random page and watch an old video.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have been asking for this for literally years.

Also I love how the fucking defense force jumps down anyone's throat who ever offers any constructive criticism.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

While I've never really had a problem finding the original content I come for, I think that's a legitimately good idea.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Krataur

I've always wanted a queue feature similar to Youtube's "Watch Later" where I could keep track of which videos I plan to watch. I guess I could just make a list on here myself, but it would be easier if the feature was built into the site.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't have a problem with the site because I have a crippling GB addiction and never miss anything but if you are only coming here every few days or once a week stuff can slip through pretty easily.

I wish they would just lay out their features better

lamzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have just installed android giant bomb video buddy. it has option to hide trailers from latest section. its the best thing. i can understand trailers spam on homepage. but is there any way to filter all original content? there is trailer only section. why not original content only section? or give premium members ability to hide trailers from latest section.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

lamzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sorry but i doubt you read my post. im talking about ALL original content. not just content behind paywall. see the difference below?

PC subscriber section on the left vs android app - all original content on the right

No Caption Provided

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've wanted this as a feature for years, trailers just clog up my RSS feed. Also just in general, better organisation. I've not kept up with the last few Bombin' in the AM videos and it's irritating having to try spot the last one I watched mixed amongst all the other videos.

The Video Buddy's ability to mark videos as watched is also super handy, would be good to have that functionality here.

onimushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna raise this topic again, as I am one of those people who doesn't care for trailers on Giant Bomb and I would like to have a way to browse the video section without the clutter. I remember hearing about (the plea for?) such a feature way back then, and I assumed it would be integrated into the site, but it seems like it never made it.

I don't mind trailers on the main page, but the video section is a mess thanks to them. Since some videos really don't fall under any of the available categories (Subscriber, Quick Looks etc), it's easy to miss some stuff that's a little older and has left the main page.

So yeah, the video section of the site really could use a "No trailers" checkbox or "All original content" category. Pretty please!

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool to make this a subscriber feature (the removal of ads/trailers) but I don't think they would do it, or especially roll it across the entire site, because they know a certain percent of people who see those links will click them and that's a good thing; it may not directly translate to ad revenue but it does increase certain metrics that get shown to potential advertisers* (how long on site, how many pages viewed, avg length of page view, etc) so exposing them to everybody who comes here helps them.

*I could be completely wrong about that, but it's what I've pieced together from things I've read across various journalists twitter feeds.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

Gonna raise this topic again, as I am one of those people who doesn't care for trailers on Giant Bomb and I would like to have a way to browse the video section without the clutter. I remember hearing about (the plea for?) such a feature way back then, and I assumed it would be integrated into the site, but it seems like it never made it.

I don't mind trailers on the main page, but the video section is a mess thanks to them. Since some videos really don't fall under any of the available categories (Subscriber, Quick Looks etc), it's easy to miss some stuff that's a little older and has left the main page.

So yeah, the video section of the site really could use a "No trailers" checkbox or "All original content" category. Pretty please!

Does this menu not work for you?

onimushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onimushroom

@hailinel said:

@onimushroom said:

No, as I said in the bolded part.

And like it has been said in this thread already, it's really tedious to look for things like Bombing the AM episodes.