Suggestions for games that are really meta please.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Hey, played Undertale right in time for GOTY. Also went through The Stanley Parable the last couple days but I feel kind of done with it. Looking for more meta games to play with if you have any suggestions. I remember seeing the Magic Circle and maybe I'll check that out.

Thanks!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Eternal Darkness? Not quite the same as the ones you mentioned, but still pretty good.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

@jking47: I wish there is an easy way to play this.

@paulmako: Love it. One of my favorite of all time.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mbdoeden

Spec Ops: The Line (depiction of and the act of violence)

Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite (choice is an illusion)

Portal and Portal 2 (arguable?)

EDIT: How could I forget The Beginner's Guide!? Check that out, it's "non-traditional" but short. Certainly is fun to think about.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

The Stanley Parable and The Behinner's Guide.

Whether or not it's intentional, clicker games say quite a bit about common game mechanics.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbdoeden: Really enjoyed all those except The Line. Will check out The Beginner's Guide thanks!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Spec Ops is very meta as a commentary about FPS games and the people that play them. Loved that game.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami's story is pretty meta.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Talos Principle might fit that bill. It was my GOTY, though, so you should probably play it either way if you like puzzle games.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chroipahtz

@liquiddragon: Since you didn't specify, did you do the "evil" route in Undertale? It really kicks the meta up to a whole new level.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By liquiddragon

@anonymous_jesse: Love Hotline.

@ajamafalous: I do want to play Talos. It's on the GB Steam give away group right now so hoping I'll get it.

@chroipahtz: No I haven't. I do want to go back to Undertale at some point but not right away. Pretty intense.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By petethepanda

They're not meta in the exact same sense, but the Zero Escape games, 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors and its sequel Virute's Last Reward, hit similar "crazy shit" notes. They're visual novel games with Myst-style puzzle segments so they're not for everyone, but if you can get on board with that type of thing they're a hell of a ride, particularly 999.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You know, the more I think about it, adventure games of the late 80s and 90s often had more meta moments and it feels like it's been 20 years for them to get there. Stuff like Space Quest where you end up at Sierra or even Monkey Island Help desk........ Try Monkey Island 2, went really metal compared to part 1 and it ending just was bizarre especially since there's like 3 sequels after. Also HD version has the commentary

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@crithon said:

Try Monkey Island 2, went really metal compared to part 1 and it ending just was bizarre especially since there's like 3 sequels after.

You're right about the meta-ness of those games (ASK ME ABOUT LOOM) but especially 2. That ending is so weird.

I agree with pretty much all the posts on here. I think recent MGSV is pretty meta too in addition to the second game

Max Payne 1 and 2 of course as other examples. The series had multiple parodies of hard boiled cop revenge fiction in its hard boiled crazy cop revenge fiction. 3 played more straight but the first two felt aware and diverse in tone in a way I love.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bards Tale (2004) is pretty darn meta.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By liquiddragon

@petethepanda: Definitely been meaning to check out 999.

@crithon: As someone who's never played those games, which one is the easiest to get into?

@artisanbreads: Love the MGS series and Max Payne 1. MP2 I didn't much care for back then but rebought it recently to check out again. Hoping I'll change my mind.

@lttibbles: Remember seeing a video clip of that. God that is the weirdest thing, definitely want to check that out!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Hmmmm, I'd say the HD release is easy to get into, they added help for Puzzels, so it's not exactly difficult. P/art 1 is better game, hence why it's gotten that fandom for so long of a time. I believe on the steam sale you could have gotten them dirt cheap, but keep an eye out on other platforms, like it's on iOS or even PSN, both of them. But yeah, part 2 goes into this insane meta that they kinda never acknowledge into later sequels especially since a lot of it was character development for the characters.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

Try Monkey Island 2, went really metal compared to part 1 and it ending just was bizarre especially since there's like 3 sequels after.

You're right about the meta-ness of those games (ASK ME ABOUT LOOM) but especially 2. That ending is so weird.

I agree with pretty much all the posts on here. I think recent MGSV is pretty meta too in addition to the second game

Max Payne 1 and 2 of course as other examples. The series had multiple parodies of hard boiled cop revenge fiction in its hard boiled crazy cop revenge fiction. 3 played more straight but the first two felt aware and diverse in tone in a way I love.

well "ask me about Loom" was the standard of almost all adventure games at the time. And yes it's a cute thing to do but like I mentioned before even Space Quest 4 ended at the Sierra Offices.... It wasn't just Easter eggs it was more expected at this point, more like how Animaniacs would make jokes about the writers of their own plots. Although I do think Pinky and the Brain's Orson Wells green peas ad is the most meta thing ever trying to explain to a little kid. Those games were just pushing it as far as comedy writing was concerned.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Super Paper Mario has a lot of cool meta things like that. I really love that game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@crithon: Yeah I see what you mean with the comparison to cartoons doing it. I think if you look through history though it is an interesting level of self awareness in that genre at that time compared to what else has gone on in games.

@liquiddragon: Max Payne 2 is one of my favorite games because of its story which I find to be very enjoyable and well told. Played it so many times. Give it a shot.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By superjoe

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, the final episode in particular about video game tropes. Back when Telltale made adventure-ass adventure games.

Hmm, found this image browsing the gallery. Game was released in 2008 but this looks like a Minecraft reference?

No Caption Provided

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By SSully