Suggestions for games to take on a long flight.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By simian

I'm flying to Maui on Thursday morning from the west coast so I'm looking at 6+ hours trapped on a plane so I'm looking for a some distractions to kill time on the flight. I'll have a couple books and my netbook (1201N) but that'll only take me so far before I need to change it up.
I've got a DS, a PSP (1st Gen) and a the aforementioned netbook but the first two haven't been used in quite some time (DS = Scribblenauts, PSP = It's been in a box for years). What are some good, time consuming games that'll help me avoid wasting money on in flight entertainment?
Addendum : Previously on the DS I've rocked PuzzleQuest Disgaea  and Advance Wars to some positive effect but I've played my fill of each.
I'm also considering just watching Movies / TV on my netbook but I'm worried about killing the battery. It's rated for 4+ hours but 1080p can be murder. I haven't discounted loading Steam on it but:

• It's a netbook aka not a powerhouse.
  • The touchpad and mouse keys suck balls.
  • No guarantee that I'll have access to an AC outlet.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

Um, if you're willing to buy new games, Pokemon? If you havn't played them, the Phoenix Wright games might take up quite a fair bit of your time. Chinatown Wars, on either platform, is good if you're into GTA. 

The netbook is pretty much gonna be worthless here, you won't get much time out of it, it'll be really bad and horrible on a small screen, and touchpads suck. Also, it's a netbook. You could try downloading some flash games though, off random sites, they might keep you occupied for a while. I'm sure even netbooks can handle those.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fudgeblood

You consider 6+ hours a long flight?

And definantly Pokemon, I can waste days on those games.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thebatmobile

Try to get Typing of the Dead on your netbook. Guaranteed fun.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

I've had to go on my share of long-haul flights, and I've found that I rarely actually want to sit and think to play video games. I say you just download Arcade Fire's Funeral, bring a nice pillow, listen, and sleep.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sexy_nipples

Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, God of War, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, Jeanne D'Arc  for the PSP 

What genres do you like? 

I'm guessing you must like JRPGs, puzzle games or shovelware seeing as those are the only genre of games the DS has. 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mrfizzy

Please be joking about the 6 hours being a long flight. I find sleeping, reading and movies to be the best things to do on a flight, gaming takes too much concentration. Tho the Phoenix Wright games are excellent if your interested. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Patapon 2(PSP) 
Phoenix Wright: Any of them(DS) 
Pokemon games (DS) =D 

And for your.. brr, Netbook, something it might run? 
Mahjong or Solitair

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By simian
@mrfizzy said:
" Please be joking about the 6 hours being a long flight. I find sleeping, reading and movies to be the best things to do on a flight, gaming takes too much concentration. Tho the Phoenix Wright games are excellent if your interested.  "
6+ hours trapped in a seat with nothing to do might as well be purgatory. I generally drive everywhere and can do so for up to 16-18 hours straight with only stops for gas or coffee. Even at my job I usually end up sitting for the better part of 8 hours without problem provided I can fend off boredom. I once spent 20 hours on a bus due to a snow storm and thought about taking my own life.
  • I was considering Phoenix Wright and the like or Professor Layton but was on the fence for some reason (not engaging enough?)
  • I actually actively dislike JRPG (I blame FFX) but have a soft spot for tactics / turn-based games on mobile platforms. I think I've logged a 100+ hours on the FF:Tactics Advanced. I might have the second one as well but FF:Tactics Advanced came during the hay day of public transit on Seattle.
  • GoW was on my radar but something about the PSP's "thumb stick" murders my fingers. I would actually consider getting a Go! if it's been fixed at this point but, like I said, I can't remember the last time I picked it up. I'm thinking it was when Crisis Core came out.
@red : Yeah that's on my iPhone already along with all the other monsters of montreal 'rock'.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mrfizzy
@simian: All the Phoenix Wrights and Professor Layton games are great, but be warned that if your sort of tired or worn out then they are likely to be very frustrating to play. 
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By Soap

regardless of what system you own, there is only one correct answer.

Pokémon.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By wwfundertaker

Phoenix Wright would be an excellent game to take, you might even finish it as well.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

If you do decide to try something on your netbook, I suggest Torchlight.  It runs on a lot of low hardware specs, but you should check and see just the same.  For the DS, even though you dislike JRPGs you might want to take a look at The World Ends With You.  It's fun and different than your standard JRPG. 

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Captain_Insano

My 20 hour flight to Europe next month must be fucking EPIC if 6 hours is long...

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane
@PenguinDust said:
"If you do decide to try something on your netbook, I suggest Torchlight.  It runs on a lot of low hardware specs, but you should check and see just the same.  For the DS, even though you dislike JRPGs you might want to take a look at The World Ends With You.  It's fun and different than your standard JRPG.  "

I'm going to agree with TWEWY, that game was pure awesomeness. And, really, the only way it's a JRPG is the fact that it's made by SE, as far as i'm concerned. That game is so unique. 

On Torchlight though, there's a good reason i didn't say this one. Remember all those mice ruined by all those countless hours of playing Diablo? 
Torchlight with a crappy pad = HORRIBLE. Otherwise i'd be playing it on the train everyday.
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By simian
@Captain_Insano said:
" My 20 hour flight to Europe next month must be fucking EPIC if 6 hours is long... "
I'd go bat shit with boredom. Especially if I was stuck behind someone who wants to recline their seat back all the way just because they can.
The flight is with a mid-size Canadian airline and is very no-frills. No booze, no fancy food and while there was TVs last time, the movie selection and quality was pretty horrible.
- I was thinking about The World Ends With You but I think this is something I need to see played before I can commit. It's not a price option as it's a finite amount of space I have in my camera bag.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Captain_Insano
@simian: Yea I don't own a DS and don't really have money to purchase one before I go. Plus I don't want to take one overseas anyway. I think a couple of cheap and discardable books might do the trick and sleeping as much as possible
tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tomte

pokemon, layton, elite beat agents and the pheonix wright series helps me thru long flights.
Also, if your on a 10 hour+ flight, get drunk... My trips back and forth to Japan takes around 11 hours, so i usually spend the first 3 hours getting drunk, then i can sleep for 5 hours and then its only 3 hours left...

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By RobotHamster

Pokemon, just like everyone else said.  Other games could work too but c'mon, its pokemon.  

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By insouciant

@Captain_Insano

said:

Pffft, both of you guys are wimps! My flight to Mars tomorrow is going to be 76,403 hours long!    

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust
@simian:   Here is some rather crappy video footage shot with a handheld camera of The World Ends With You that will give you the most basic idea of what it looks a bit like.  You'd probably be better served looking for more video on Gametrailers or even G4TV.  
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By simian

I wasn't expecting such a Pokemon contingent on this which is surprising. Not that I have anything against the series or the people who play them mind you just didn't seem that GB was 'that sort of place'.
I'm thinking it's going to be Layton & Wright at this point. They were already on my list but polling random strangers always seems to work.
However this is all moot if my step-daughter commadeers my DS to play (uughhh) Scribblenauts. I suppose I could use it as a reason to get a DSi and get in on some of that HOT DSi downloadable clock action that I've heard so much about.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Belonpopo
@simian:
Pokemon Heartgold is the only game you need for on that flight.
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By simian
@PenguinDust: Thanks for the heads up on that. A lot more interested then I was before hand based on the text reviews and box.
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By simian

Well the update to this situation is that, lo and behold, I can't find my DS lite. Last time I saw it was with my step daughter but it seems to have vanished from the apartment. Now I'm tasked with either buying a new (or DSi / XL) or just making due with non-handheld entertainment. PSP sort of fell to the wayside when I saw the suggestions come in and knowing my luck, it's disapeared as well (not having good luck with handhelds).
6+ hours of Bejewelled 2 on my iPhone it is!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By luce

Get free peggle and a decent playlist of songs. The 6 hours will fly by

liquidben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By liquidben

Shiren the Wanderer! It's a great game with tons of replay.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Funzzo

Peggle or any Pop Cap games. ZUMA!!

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By CaptainObvious

Phoenix Wright!

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By simian

I've almost destroyed peggle. Just a couple more levels where I haven't gotten 100% on. I fear for my families safety and the safety of those on the plane if I try to finish them. I'll either go ballistic after the failures or go super saiyan when I finally manage to do it.
I guess I'll make a decision when I go to pickup my GoW3 pre-order today. I've got purchase some filters for one of my lens and their price will determine what my CRAZY CA$H situation is like.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By simian

Epilogue
Camera filter won out. 82mm filter aren't cheap apparently and I had to take a hit.
I just remembered that I'd already bought 'The Dig' and the old school Indiana Jones games on STEAM so I'll be playing that on my flight.