#1 Posted by STORMP00PER (70 posts) -

Recently I have been playing a ton of RPG and RTS games and frankly I feel like a change of pace. Has anybody got suggestions for some good old fashioned action games?

Something fun is the priority, I don't mind if it is brief/narratively shallow so long as it good while it lasts.

Don't really do much CO-OP so Borderlands is kinda out but anything else is cool.

I got Bullet Storm and Space Marine in the Steam summer sale and really enjoyed them so something like that which doesn't require too much thought would be ideal, although it doesn't have to be an FPS, I actually have a mad hankering for some X-Wing vs Tie fighter but hey that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Thanks in advance !

PS - PC or XBOX

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Asura's Wrath is pretty cool.

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1810 posts) -

@STORMP00PER: You could play Borderlands by yourself.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3871 posts) -

Alan Wake!

#5 Posted by STORMP00PER (70 posts) -

@DarthOrange: love Alan Wake but already played it thanks though

#6 Posted by STORMP00PER (70 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: yeah ok maybe i forgot about that one, console only right?

#7 Posted by Sgtpierceface (632 posts) -

I would suggest Vanquish or Shadows of the Damned.

#8 Posted by JoeyRavn (4997 posts) -

Orcs Must Die!? It's pretty good, and singleplayer-only.

If you're willing to explore other genres: Worms, Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac.

(It would be great to know what you've played or what you have on your Steam account to avoid repeating games. Just saying.)

#9 Edited by Triumvir (489 posts) -

Spec-Ops the line has a mostly-good single player campaign with a cool story.

Max Payne 3 is a good shooter. Not as fast-paced as the previous games, but I thought it was pretty satisfying. I rather liked the story, too. It's a pretty divisive game, though.

I'll second Vanquish. It's one of the best shooters of this generation. If you were going to pick any of the ones I'm recommending, pick this one.

What about Hybrid? Full disclosure: I haven't played it personally, but it looked pretty cool, and Brad seemed to dig it. I bet it would be fun, if the community is still lively.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

My suggestion would be to never end a thread title with PEW PEW ever again.

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@STORMP00PER: Borderlands is still awesome alone. I played it mostly alone because my friends are assholes, basically. Listen to old Bombcasts while you play and you'll have a blast. I'll vote for Vanquish. I'd also suggest the first two Doom games on XBA if you have a 360. Probably the best versions of the game.

#12 Posted by runnah555 (148 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

My suggestion would be to never end a thread title with PEW PEW ever again.

Starting a thread with "PEW PEW" is fine.

#13 Posted by EuanDewar (5041 posts) -

Max Payne 3 has shooting, a great story and the best soundtrack ever in a game.

What im saying is that its good.

#14 Posted by theodacourt (545 posts) -

Man, Syndicate is probably one of the most fun experiences I've had in a while, definitely worth checking out! Probably can find it super cheap somewhere, I got it for about £7 3 or 4 months ago!

#15 Posted by STORMP00PER (70 posts) -

alright cool looks like i should be able to pick something up then - thinking Vanquish

cheers duders

...PEW PEW

#16 Posted by JaredA (826 posts) -

Alice: Madness Returns

#17 Posted by shinboy630 (1165 posts) -

Darksiders 1 and 2

#18 Posted by STORMP00PER (70 posts) -

just picked up a copy of Vanquish for £2.98 from GAME, not too shabby.

Although some of the re-sale prices in there are CRAZY!

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@STORMP00PER: Vanquish is a good game at its original price but is a FANTASTIC game at that price! It's quite simple and quite short and the story is like whatever, but it's a fun game.