#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

SUMMER GAMES DONE QUICK 2013!

So coming hot of the heels of the European Speedster Assembly which did speed runs to raise money for Doctors without Borders comes Summer Games Done Quick 2013.

If you aren't familiar with Speed Demo Archive's past events you can head over to their webpage and check out some of the archives of past events. One of the most notable runs of the previous event being Zelda OoT in just over 20 minutes! So if you have some free time anywhere in between the 25th and 29th. Watch and Donate to this great cause! I'll post the links for everything below. And here is a trailer for the event this year.

I know the previous event earlier in the year was a huge success and raised over 400k for a cancer charity. Its also a ton of fun to watch these guys do their thing!

LINKS

Where to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

Schedule: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

Donate: (Link forthcoming)

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

An hour Amnesia speedrun would be fantastic. I'm sure I must have cowered in a corner for more than an hour. Actually, I'm sure I spent more than an hour in that huge dark room D:

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@beachthunder: Ive tried several times to play that game which always ends up with my bravado being smashed to bits in about 5 minutes and me going NOPE! The guys at ESA also did a Amnesia run as well as a Penumbra speed run as well. Its a lot of fun to watch these guys run these games. Next to fighting game tourneys speed run marathons are the best especially when someone manages to set a world record.

#4 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Yes! Can't wait. The most recent AGDQ was the first time I had seen one of these and it kept me entertained for weeks after it happened. I look forward to an absurd amount of games done quick once again.

#5 Edited by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@superwristbands: Yep. One of the more interesting choices on thr schedule (at least to me) is Nier. I can't wait to see that. Im also interested to see Comix Zone. I could barely beat the first stage as a kid.

#6 Posted by wemibelec90 (1831 posts) -

I've always been fascinated with the idea of speedruns, but there is no way I could ever do one. Spending that much time with one game sounds insane to someone as unable to sit still as me. Still very fun to watch though.

#7 Edited by AlKusanagi (992 posts) -

I enjoy a good skill-based speed run, but it's also great watching these guys break the shit out of these games with exploits.

#8 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@superwristbands: Yep. One of the more interesting choices on thr schedule (at least to me) is Nier. I can't wait to see that.

Mhmm. I wonder if they are going for Ending D or if just any ending will suffice. Also this got me thinking about someone speed running a text adventure. That with the live commentary style of these "Done Quick" marathons could be preeeetty cool.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Quick bump and reminder to everyone this thing starts in 5 1/2 hours!

Head over to the twitch page or the speeddemos home page to watch.

I'm sadly going to have to miss the first 4-5 hours since I'll be at work but I've got the next two days off which is great!

#10 Posted by DocHaus (1374 posts) -

MSF is a pretty worthy charity. Just make sure you're donating to Médecins Sans Frontières and not Militaires Sans Frontières, as I hear the latter is a violent terrorist group led by a filthy American traitor.

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@dochaus: Ha! I see what you did there. ;)

#12 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

Hey duders, I was thinking cos SDA takes donations to name characters in games, perhaps we could all work together and get a character named Taswell? Don't know what game would be a good idea but it's for a good cause and would be a nice way to remember Ryan. If you have any ideas for which game to donate to just say.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

YSG IS DE BEST!

I think Dave Long, most famous for The Lang Zone, donated earlier.

#15 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -

I think I ended up watching most of the archives of the January event thanks to the GB duders. It''l be awesome to catch it live this time around. I'm already planning some donations. I'm also planning not sleeping for five days. Oh god.

#16 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

@demoskinos: It was thanks to GB watching the Castlevania speed run on Unprofessional Friday that got me in to this stuff anyway. Would be nice to give back some how haha.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Yusssss finally home! Now time to watch some muthafuggin speedruns!

#18 Edited by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Super Hyped to see this Metal Gear Solid speedrun!

#19 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Hype!!!

ヽ(´ー`)人(´∇`)人(`Д´)ノ

Metal Gear Solid run on now! The Amnesia run is quite ridiculous, if you haven't seen it you're in for a treat. :D

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

WHAT THE FUCK?! DUDE JUST RAN UP TO SNIPER WOLF AND PUNCHED HER TO DEATH?!

#21 Edited by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

Ok, I put in 5 bucks to name Cid from FF4 as Taswell. Think it fits pretty well.

#22 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Resident Evil Code Veronica being speed run with a fight stick!

@handsomemuffin:that's awesome duder.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -
#24 Posted by Dethfish (3697 posts) -

Well, I've got my weekend planned now.

#25 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

@demoskinos: Ah thats awesome! My nets been a bit janky tonight so I missed it :[

#26 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (650 posts) -

Amnesia is going on now, I really enjoy these marathons, just not the chat or donation comments (with the exception of the Taswell donation that was awesome).

#27 Edited by Brake (1126 posts) -

@handsomemuffin: That's awesome. Any other duders looking to do the same, you can now just pick the option to name Cid Taswell from the Bidding Challenges/Choices menu when you donate. So get on it!

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Back from work now. YSG fuck some bitches yet?

#29 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Hotline Miami run in progress right now! ♥

#30 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Fucking some dudes up in memory of Ryan Davis. Who here on the site made the donation?

#31 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

They just received a donation in Ryan's name for Hotline Miami. Glad to see that.

#32 Edited by CitizenCoffeeCake (650 posts) -

Hotline Miami runner giving some love "Let's bash some heads in for Ryan Davis" talking about how he loved the game and the quick look. So great.

Edit: The runner was in fact @duke_bilgewater, really great run duder.

#33 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

Jesus christ this Hotline Miami run is just amazing!

#34 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion next!

#35 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Holy crap someone donated $2700 during the Hotline Miami run! O___O

#36 Posted by TournamentOfHate (582 posts) -

That chat blew up with Ryan love after that donation was made. <3

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@herbiebug: Fuuuuuuuck I fell asleep for a bit. Totally missed that.

#38 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (142 posts) -

Are we concentrating our efforts on Cid as Taswell? Definitely want my donation to go towards something Ryan related, so I want it to go where it has the best chance of succeeding

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@thebeastwithtwobacks: That already has $25 on it so I'd say that is the best chance we have right now.

#40 Posted by Deathpooky (1443 posts) -

That Hotline Miami run was fucking amazing. I think I died more on each individual stage than that guy did in the entire run.

#41 Posted by Bane122 (811 posts) -

This is a really cool group of people. I started following some of them after AGDQ and they've all been totally awesome answering my newbie questions about shit.

I'll definitely throw some money towards the Taswell name.

#42 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

http://i.imgur.com/JU46PwE.gif

Teh Urn was more beautiful than I could've ever imagined.

#43 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

This Catechumen game is fucking weird and I've never heard nor seen it before.

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

That Hotline Miami run was fucking amazing. I think I died more on each individual stage than that guy did in the entire run.

I just looked at the archived run and maaan that was pretty crazy.

#45 Edited by Capum15 (4995 posts) -

@deathpooky said:

I just looked at the archived run and maaan that was pretty crazy.

Just finished watching it myself and yeah...crazy. Also, oh god that blind mask. I don't even know how he played that bonus level.

Might have to go re-watch the QL now, though.

#46 Posted by Happenstance (467 posts) -

I've been watching this on and off since yesterday, quite enjoying it. I think I'll probably go back and watch some of the archives once its all over.

#47 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Okay, awake and ready for Day 2! I can't wait for this Nier run today!

#48 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Oh man, I loved this Spider-Man game as a kid!

#49 Posted by Happenstance (467 posts) -

Ive stopped for a while to watch the Shadowrun Returns quick look but its been nice just leaving the speed run stream open on my second screen while im playing FTL.

#50 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

This Nier speedrun is pretty cool. I'm thinking I finally need to beat this.