• 65 results
Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

God damn it you guys.

God fucking damn it.

We have once again entered the horrible purgatory of our hobby known as the "Summer Drought" in which no games come out ever and we must scrape by with but the barest of offerings. We salivate at even the smallest of scraps tossed to us like rabid animals fighting over a leg of meat after being forcibly starved over several weeks because we are owned by the proprietor of a dog fight and this metaphor isn't going anywhere. 

I could probably make some real poignant  statement about companies bleeding us dry in the summer to make us ravenous to eat up whatever shit they put out if I wasn't bored as all hell.

The only things even worth looking forward to are downloadable games and shit that already came out like Xenoblade Chronicles. I guess Diablo III is coming out at some point? Yeah, like that will happen.

Anyway, the point of this thread is I am bored and need shit to do, amuse me with your horrible tastes in video games as I justify it within the context of talking about what you are playing right now.

Here is my clever canned example to bait you into falling for my devious trap.

Tribes Assend:

I keep telling people to play this and they don't listen to me. Why? Probably because they are terrible people, terrible people who hate video games add are part of a secret society dedicated to destroying the industry and plunging Nintendo into bankruptcy so as to get closer to their true target, Satura Iwata, the last true son of man.

Tribes is really fucking good you guys. It's really fucking good. It is the best multiplayer FPS to come out since TF2, and I don't say that lightly. I played TF2 and little else for two years straight and I still have been known on occasion to boot up for a game of Dustbowl or Hightower. It's kind of incredible how much they have in common. They're both fun as hell, they're both like no other shooters on the market, and they both have an incredible sense of humor despite there being absolutely no good reason why either of them should. Admittedly much of the humor in Tribes is outside the game, but then again at some point they had to know 16 grown men sitting in an online server spamming "SHAZBOT!" and "I AM THE GREATEST!" wasn't exactly going to be the most serious of affairs.

But yeah, it's kind of hard to catalyze what makes Tribes so much damn fun. In a lot of ways it bends to modern design philosophy perhaps a bit too much, but it still manages to feel like is pulling all the right strings to get that classic FPS vibe. Maybe it is the super fast pace that games simply don't have anymore, maybe it is the slightly higher but still accessible level of entry, maybe it is just having to use weapons that actually require you to aim. It is hard to pin point it, but Tribes is just as satisfying as it is fun to play. You don't just have a good time, you feel like you've actually done something skillful and praiseworthy despite just playing a fucking video game about mecha-men flying across a space beach yelling at each other over a flag.

I like it.

Also I guess it technically comes out this month so fuck maybe I invalidated this entire thread.

Legal Legends:

I don't know what it is about DoTA 2, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it is the confusing sub systems that are poorly explained (and by that I of course mean not explained at all), the bland and honestly kind of depressing map artwork, the characters that feel familiar but at the same time incredibly foreign , or maybe just the lack of mechanics that I thought of as vital to my MOBA experience that just don't exist in this game.

In a lot of ways DoTA 2 has made me appreciate League of Legends more. DoTA feels like a game that has been completely locked in time, not changing or improving, not learning any lessons or trying to fix its flaws. It feels very old, and having never played the original WCIII mod that still came through very strongly for me. Certainly there is value in that, just as there is value in re-releasing classics like DOOM, but at some point I think it is a bit strange that there is so much fanfare over what feels like a multimillion dollar graphical update to a terribly outdated game,

I really just like everything about League. I like how easy it is to slip into a new character you've never played and still do well, I like that the map is completely constant so it really feels like you are completely in control of a match, I like that every role on a team is very defined and fun to play, and I like that no matter how or what I choose to play I can feel like I'm making an impact on the game and helping my team to victory or defeat. I think that's what I like so much about League that other multiplayer games just don't offer. An average match is so long and arduous and each member of your five man squad has such an impact on how things play out that it never really feels like you lost, or won, because of a fluke. It's entirely in your control. A lot of people will cite that as the reason the community can be so hostile, as even one bad player on a team can shift the odds dramatically, but I've always seen it as an incentive to actually communicate with my team and try to improve our play and strategize.

I really hate how detached mutliplayer gaming has become. Often will you get into games now where everyone is just sitting there, completely silent throughout an entire session, as they move from objective to objective not even stopping to figure out who this guy standing next to him is. That's just an impossibility in League. If you choose to ignore the other four players on your team you are going to lose because there is absolutely no way you can carry the game on your own. It adds a real human element that I just don't find in games anymore. Often it can bring the worst out in people, as I'm sure more than a few can attest, but if you have the stomach for it you'll definitely have an interesting experience and maybe even meet a few stand-up chaps along the way.

To get back to the game though, I really do enjoy it. I like how paced it is, how each game has predictable phases that it inevitably enters yet they never play out exactly the same. There are so many variables, yet it still manages to feel constant. That's probably why League is the first game I've ever really followed a competitive scene for. Here are these guys playing on the same map I have spent hours on, doing the same things I have done, but in a completely different way. I just love how creative you can get with things like team compositions and strategies despite it all feeling so binary, it's really quite incredible. Riot has succeeded in creating a game that is the very definition of hidden depth. I am always learning more. The times for jungle creep respawns, the gold amounts for last hitting minion waves, the perks and duration of Baron buff. That probably doesn't even look like English out of context. Every time I sit down with League I'm learning something new about the mechanics, it's always getting deeper and more interesting no matter how much time I choose to invest in it. There really just isn't a huge diversity of multiplayer games that are so knowledge based yet so accessible at the same time. I found it so easy to get into, yet at the same time the League I am playing now and the League I was playing less than a year ago are almost two entirely separate entities.

It really is quite a marvel of good design sense and balance. I'd probably write about it more if it weren't so damn addicting.

Devil Survivor 2

They made Devil Survivor again.

Also I got 400 Followers

What am I doing with my life.

the blog.
#1 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

God damn it you guys.

God fucking damn it.

We have once again entered the horrible purgatory of our hobby known as the "Summer Drought" in which no games come out ever and we must scrape by with but the barest of offerings. We salivate at even the smallest of scraps tossed to us like rabid animals fighting over a leg of meat after being forcibly starved over several weeks because we are owned by the proprietor of a dog fight and this metaphor isn't going anywhere. 

I could probably make some real poignant  statement about companies bleeding us dry in the summer to make us ravenous to eat up whatever shit they put out if I wasn't bored as all hell.

The only things even worth looking forward to are downloadable games and shit that already came out like Xenoblade Chronicles. I guess Diablo III is coming out at some point? Yeah, like that will happen.

Anyway, the point of this thread is I am bored and need shit to do, amuse me with your horrible tastes in video games as I justify it within the context of talking about what you are playing right now.

Here is my clever canned example to bait you into falling for my devious trap.

Tribes Assend:

I keep telling people to play this and they don't listen to me. Why? Probably because they are terrible people, terrible people who hate video games add are part of a secret society dedicated to destroying the industry and plunging Nintendo into bankruptcy so as to get closer to their true target, Satura Iwata, the last true son of man.

Tribes is really fucking good you guys. It's really fucking good. It is the best multiplayer FPS to come out since TF2, and I don't say that lightly. I played TF2 and little else for two years straight and I still have been known on occasion to boot up for a game of Dustbowl or Hightower. It's kind of incredible how much they have in common. They're both fun as hell, they're both like no other shooters on the market, and they both have an incredible sense of humor despite there being absolutely no good reason why either of them should. Admittedly much of the humor in Tribes is outside the game, but then again at some point they had to know 16 grown men sitting in an online server spamming "SHAZBOT!" and "I AM THE GREATEST!" wasn't exactly going to be the most serious of affairs.

But yeah, it's kind of hard to catalyze what makes Tribes so much damn fun. In a lot of ways it bends to modern design philosophy perhaps a bit too much, but it still manages to feel like is pulling all the right strings to get that classic FPS vibe. Maybe it is the super fast pace that games simply don't have anymore, maybe it is the slightly higher but still accessible level of entry, maybe it is just having to use weapons that actually require you to aim. It is hard to pin point it, but Tribes is just as satisfying as it is fun to play. You don't just have a good time, you feel like you've actually done something skillful and praiseworthy despite just playing a fucking video game about mecha-men flying across a space beach yelling at each other over a flag.

I like it.

Also I guess it technically comes out this month so fuck maybe I invalidated this entire thread.

Legal Legends:

I don't know what it is about DoTA 2, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it is the confusing sub systems that are poorly explained (and by that I of course mean not explained at all), the bland and honestly kind of depressing map artwork, the characters that feel familiar but at the same time incredibly foreign , or maybe just the lack of mechanics that I thought of as vital to my MOBA experience that just don't exist in this game.

In a lot of ways DoTA 2 has made me appreciate League of Legends more. DoTA feels like a game that has been completely locked in time, not changing or improving, not learning any lessons or trying to fix its flaws. It feels very old, and having never played the original WCIII mod that still came through very strongly for me. Certainly there is value in that, just as there is value in re-releasing classics like DOOM, but at some point I think it is a bit strange that there is so much fanfare over what feels like a multimillion dollar graphical update to a terribly outdated game,

I really just like everything about League. I like how easy it is to slip into a new character you've never played and still do well, I like that the map is completely constant so it really feels like you are completely in control of a match, I like that every role on a team is very defined and fun to play, and I like that no matter how or what I choose to play I can feel like I'm making an impact on the game and helping my team to victory or defeat. I think that's what I like so much about League that other multiplayer games just don't offer. An average match is so long and arduous and each member of your five man squad has such an impact on how things play out that it never really feels like you lost, or won, because of a fluke. It's entirely in your control. A lot of people will cite that as the reason the community can be so hostile, as even one bad player on a team can shift the odds dramatically, but I've always seen it as an incentive to actually communicate with my team and try to improve our play and strategize.

I really hate how detached mutliplayer gaming has become. Often will you get into games now where everyone is just sitting there, completely silent throughout an entire session, as they move from objective to objective not even stopping to figure out who this guy standing next to him is. That's just an impossibility in League. If you choose to ignore the other four players on your team you are going to lose because there is absolutely no way you can carry the game on your own. It adds a real human element that I just don't find in games anymore. Often it can bring the worst out in people, as I'm sure more than a few can attest, but if you have the stomach for it you'll definitely have an interesting experience and maybe even meet a few stand-up chaps along the way.

To get back to the game though, I really do enjoy it. I like how paced it is, how each game has predictable phases that it inevitably enters yet they never play out exactly the same. There are so many variables, yet it still manages to feel constant. That's probably why League is the first game I've ever really followed a competitive scene for. Here are these guys playing on the same map I have spent hours on, doing the same things I have done, but in a completely different way. I just love how creative you can get with things like team compositions and strategies despite it all feeling so binary, it's really quite incredible. Riot has succeeded in creating a game that is the very definition of hidden depth. I am always learning more. The times for jungle creep respawns, the gold amounts for last hitting minion waves, the perks and duration of Baron buff. That probably doesn't even look like English out of context. Every time I sit down with League I'm learning something new about the mechanics, it's always getting deeper and more interesting no matter how much time I choose to invest in it. There really just isn't a huge diversity of multiplayer games that are so knowledge based yet so accessible at the same time. I found it so easy to get into, yet at the same time the League I am playing now and the League I was playing less than a year ago are almost two entirely separate entities.

It really is quite a marvel of good design sense and balance. I'd probably write about it more if it weren't so damn addicting.

Devil Survivor 2

They made Devil Survivor again.

Also I got 400 Followers

What am I doing with my life.

the blog.
#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I was going to write something nice about this blog but fuck you, I'm deaf now.

Let this serve as a warning to those who come after me. Mute the sound on the Tribes video.

#3 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

Fuck you for that video, god damn man.. And as far as summer goes, play some games you missed, replay some games, or you know, go outside for a while and enjoy the nice hot weather whilst it is possible, that's what I plan to do anyway.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@JacDG: Outside is terrible, why would you ever go there.
#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

We have once again entered the horrible purgatory of our hobby known as the "Summer Drought" in which no games come out ever and we must scrape by with but the barest of offerings.

It's April.

#6 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

@JacDG said:

Fuck you for that video, god damn man.. And as far as summer goes, play some games you missed, replay some games, or you know, go outside for a while and enjoy the nice hot weather whilst it is possible, that's what I plan to do anyway.

I never, ever understand how people can complain about gaming droughts. Every gamer I know, including myself, has 20 fuck tons of great games in a backlog we have to play.

#7 Edited by Tennmuerti (8064 posts) -

I read the blog and it was enjoyable (even tho i'm persoanally not into either of the games)
But sadly have no additional input.
Nevertheless it seemed like positive feedback was appropriate.
/nod

Edit: nvm, guess there is something to say, yep the game drought is pretty nasty, i recently reinstalled C&C3 because boredom, everything else i wanted to play was already played and the new Jagged Alliance is an on/off relashionship, waiting for ... something

#8 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: What is the last image in your blog from? The smoking girl? 

Also, technically, it's Spring, and there's still a few huge releases due in the next couple of months. It might be a good time to dive in deep on a multiplayer game. I know I still have a bunch of games I bought that I haven't even played yet.
#9 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I missed all your Tribes advice somehow, and the game really wasn't on my radar (even though I was aware it was coming out.) That actually looks really fun. I dunno if I'd be any good at it (read: I wouldn't be any good at it,) but it still might be worth checking out.

I still can't play MOBAs. I don't really have anything to blame it on, either; I'm just really, really bad at those games. Like, the worst I've ever met (though certainly not the worst I've ever seen.) So DOTA 2 being "simpler" might actually make the game more appealing to me; its problems lie in its lack of tutorials, which is MADDENING.

And Max Payne 3 is coming out, so that's a game. Otherwise, yeah, we don't have much, buy up the February and March catalogues because those months went well.

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

We have once again entered the horrible purgatory of our hobby known as the "Summer Drought" in which no games come out ever and we must scrape by with but the barest of offerings.

It's April.

April Fools.

@Napalm said:
@LordXavierBritish: What is the last image in your blog from? The smoking girl?  Also, technically, it's Spring, and there's still a few huge releases due in the next couple of months. It might be a good time to dive in deep on a multiplayer game. I know I still have a bunch of games I bought that I haven't even played yet.

FLCL
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

It's April.

April Fools.

Does Diablo III having a release date count, then?

#12 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I like being outside, taking walks in the sun and shit, 2 to 3 months were it is actually nice outside around here, or at least it has been that way the last few years, so I got to take advantage of it.

@bonorbitz said:

@JacDG said:

I never, ever understand how people can complain about gaming droughts. Every gamer I know, including myself, has 20 fuck tons of great games in a backlog we have to play.

I always have a good amount of games, I don't buy as many as most people on forums, but I am very slow to finish most games so yeah, always have a ton of stuff to play if I feel like it.

#13 Edited by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

It's April.

April Fools.

Does Diablo III having a release date count, then?

Mid May, I believe.

@JacDG said:

@bonorbitz said:

@JacDG said:

I always have a good amount of games, I don't buy as many as most people on forums, but I am very slow to finish most games so yeah, always have a ton of stuff to play if I feel like it.

My problem is that because I buy so many games on sale for all platforms, my back log is ridiculously immense. It also doesn't help that I work for a living. I would love nothing more than to sit around all day and play video games. Nice summer weather be damned!

#14 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Oh my god. You posted a sanic video. You crazy motherfucker.  

Also nice blog, I didn't read any of it. 

#15 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Go outside and have a life outside video games. It's fun!

#16 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

This.

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:

You know who else went outside?

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

And now all those kids are dead, you sick bastard.
#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
FLCL
What?
#19 Posted by tescovee (356 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@JacDG said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Still have games from 09 that i still need to hit. Unfortunately/fortunately still have Skyrim to play. Going to plow threw Mass Effect and S-rank that, hit up the hard play threw in batman:AA. Achievements man. I actually like the summer drought It gives me a few months to actually try to catch up on some games (which never pans out, do to weather forcing me to actually go out)

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
Oh my god. You posted a sanic video. You crazy motherfucker.   Also nice blog, I didn't read any of it. 
@PrivateIronTFU said:

These two responses made me laugh.
#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Napalm said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
FLCL
What?
Anime about existentialism, aliens, robot sex and flying clothes iron spaceships.  Oh and Flying Vs too.
#22 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish Those two games are all I'm playing these days. Having a blast with them add me if you want. LoL: Noobzor Tribes: crazyleaves.
#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Oh, alright. I thought it stood for something. FLCL sounds pretty generic.
#24 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I just remembered that Xenoblade Chronicles is coming out this week in North America. Fuck Yeah!

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Srsly, where are the games? I thought the industry was getting a bit better at spacing shit out.

#26 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Napalm said:
@SeriouslyNow: Oh, alright. I thought it stood for something. FLCL sounds pretty generic.
it does.  it's not.
#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: So what does it stand for then?
#28 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

what's that 1st picture from?

#29 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Fooly Cooly. (C'mon mang, I don't even watch Anime!)

#30 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Just downloaded tribes, it's pretty awesome. I'm looking at LoL now.

#31 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Napalm said:

Fooly Cooly.

Is that a bad joke or something?
#32 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@bighat_logan said:
what's that 1st picture from?
Google.
#33 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Mass Effect 3.

#34 Edited by Wasara88 (332 posts) -

Great time to drudge through your backlog or, you know....do something else for a change. @Ravenlight: and thank you for the warning.

#35 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Wasara88: That's actually a good point.

I should probably open that shrink wrapped copy of Killer 7 I purchased and then posted pictures online of to torment my friend who is convinced it is one of the greatest achievements of mankind by not playing it.

I should probably play it though.

And Shadows of the Colossus.
#36 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I love it when games dont come out because then I get to either play other stuff I havent gotten to yet, or just do something else with my time.

#37 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Napalm said:

@SeriouslyNow: So 何hat does it stand for then?

Fooly Cooly.

Is that a 悪ad joke or something?

No, FLCL is just really weird.

#38 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Napalm said:
it does. it's not.

I refuse to accept that I live in a world where those things are described as generic.

#39 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

GODDAMN! That video killed my ears! Is that a GIGANTOR avatar? If so, niceeee.

#40 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Coafi said:

Yes, it is Gigantor.

I fucking love that big metal son of a bitch.

This picture specifically is from one of two limited edition posters by a Belgian artist named Laurent Durieux.

#41 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Simulacrum said:

@Napalm said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Napalm said:

@SeriouslyNow: So 何hat does it stand for then?

Fooly Cooly.

Is that a 悪ad joke or something?

No, FLCL is just really weird.

In the best way possible.

#42 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3139 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

You know who else went outside? Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. And now all those kids are dead, you sick bastard.

That's one of the most funny things I've ever read on this site. Props.

#43 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

Also Tribes: Ascend rules.

#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Something I noticed about Devil survivor is that all the girls have huge boobs... also it looks alot like Durara... Just saying.

#45 Edited by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Poor kids who don't know the gotta go fast video. You are so young...

Anyway, I still have a ton of games to finish but haven't been able because of school. I'm glad there's a moment in the year where nothing comes out.

Also, I've been playing Tribes for 6 months now since closed Beta started... It's getting really boring. Right now only multiplayer game I'm into is the CS:GO beta.

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

You know who else went outside? Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. And now all those kids are dead, you sick bastard.

If I was drinking something I would have spit it out when I read that. I knew that there was a reason why I started following you.

Also, League of Legends is awesome. We should play some time. My name there is the same as my name here.

#47 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Deusx said:

Anyway, I still have a ton of games to finish but haven't been able because of school. I'm glad there's a moment in the year where nothing comes out.

Also, I've been playing Tribes for 6 months now since closed Beta started... It's getting really boring. Right now only multiplayer game I'm into is the CS:GO beta.

How is CS:GO?

And by that I mean how much is it just CS Source.
#48 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Coafi said:

Yes, it is Gigantor.

I fucking love that big metal son of a bitch.

This picture specifically is from one of two limited edition posters by a Belgian artist named Laurent Durieux.

Wow, that is a magnificent piece of art.

#49 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Deusx said:

How is CS:GO? And by that I mean how much is it just CS Source.

The map designs are now made for faster combat wich gives it a more 1.6 feel. To tell you the truth it's a mixture of both games. I've been having fun, except for people who aren't there for the fun and just want to humiliate people and refer to everyone as "niggers" or "faggots". You know, competitive gaming.

#50 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Fooly Cooly. And it's hardly generic. It's about a kid who gets hit in the head with a bass guitar by this girl and a few hours later a robot pops out of it, and another episode later a different robot pops out of it and they start beating the shit out of each other while a house is on fire and a couple of teenagers contemplate their navels while some undercover alien space police girl attempts to fuck an old man but a rubber fist on a spring comes out of her...

You know what? Just watch it, it's only six episodes.