Super Mario Kart the most influential video game ever?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Kotaku report that according the the Guinness Book of World Records Gamer Edition 2009, Super Mario Kart is the game that "has the longest legacy and the biggest impact on video games in history"

Personally, I can't really argue with that. It's a pretty influential game. It wouldn't be my personal number one, but there is so much left up to opinion in a list like this. This is the full list:

1. Super Mario Kart
2. Tetris
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Super Mario World
5. Zelda Ocarina of Time
6. Halo
7. Resident Evil IV
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Street Fighter II
10. GoldenEye
11. Super Mario 64
12. Tomb Raider
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Call of Duty 4
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
16. GTA San Andreas
17. Super Mario Bros
18. Zelda: A Link to the Past
19. Gran Turismo
20. Final Fantasy VII
21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4
22. The Orange Box
23. Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
24. Tekken 2
25. Wii Sports
26. Pokemon Red/Blue
27. Guitar Hero
28. Project Gotham Racing 4
29. Super Mario Galaxy
30. Resident Evil
31. Ico
32. Chrono Trigger
33. Gunstar Heroes
34. Soul Calibur
35. Advance Wars
36. Ridge Racer
37. Super Metroid
38. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
39. GTA Vice City
40. BioShock
41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
43. God of War
44. Sega Rally Championship
45. Starfox 64
46. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
47. WarioWare Inc
48. Saturn Bomberman
49. Crash Bandicoot
50. Outrun 2

The most notable weird things on this is how low down the original Super Mario Bros. is, and the low number of PC games on it. The inclusion of Lego Star Wars is a weird decision too. Although the list could be a lot worse.

Any thoughts on this?
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I know this, of all the girls I've been with that aren't gamers, every single one of them could hand me my ass in a game of Mario Kart.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lolist tbh, so many games of the past 5-10 years that brought nothing new to their genre. Or sequels that brought nothing new to their franchises. Wtf?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I think lists like this are completely subjective, nonsense, and irrelevant.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Ah, I saw mention of that in Pepsiman's status awhile ago. If I recall, she thought it was completely ridiculous. Sure it inspired a ton of shitty kart racing games, but that's about it.
I'd say Super Mario Bros. should be in that position, or pretty damn close. But there it is at number 17. Seriously?

And The Orange Box is a collection of games. That's something that's been done before many times. Is that just their way of calling out all the games in that package or what?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bullet_Jr
MB said:
"I think lists like this are completely subjective, nonsense, and irrelevant."
It's supposed to be. Disagreeing is half the fun of a list.
ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By ishotmrburns

Guinness don't know shit.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose

Lego Star Wars...PGR4...WarioWare...

the fuck?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brukaoru

This may be because I'm such a fan, but I don't see how Devil May Cry doesn't make it but God of War does. I'm pretty sure DMC was very influential to a lot of games, especially to God of War.

MB
said:

"I think lists like this are completely subjective, nonsense, and irrelevant."
There's a lot to disagree about this and it certainly is very subjective. I don't think Guinness should have such a list like this.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Mushir

Some really good ones up there. Some not so deserving in my opinion. Interesting list by the way. Thanks for posting.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Pepsiman
LordAndrew said:
"Ah, I saw mention of that in Pepsiman's status awhile ago. If I recall, she thought it was completely ridiculous. Sure it inspired a ton of shitty kart racing games, but that's about it.I'd say Super Mario Bros. should be in that position, or pretty damn close. But there it is at number 17. Seriously? And The Orange Box is a collection of games. That's something that's been done before many times. Is that just their way of calling out all the games in that package or what?"
Yeah, you recalled my sentiments on Mario Kart's position on the list correctly. I like those games sure, as I've spent an excessive amount of time with the N64 version in particular, but I think calling those games the most influential (or really influential at all) is a bit of a stretch. They're fun, but I haven't seen them impact gameplay design philosophies in any other racer. I don't think you'll ever see the Forza or Gran Turismo developers listing Mario Kart as one of their main influences during development, for example. Different subsets of racing subgenres, I know, but if Mario Kart is the only kart racer that a lot of people give any semblance of legitimacy to, I think that speaks of its overall impact.

Some of the other games I do indeed agree with having on the list, but the distinct lack of especially old games irks me. This may be the historian in me talking, but a complete absence of Space War/Computer Space, Pong, Space Invaders, and a number of 2600 games surprises me, to say the least. They may be the great grandfathers of video games by now, but if I can still trace the roots of, say, Geometry Wars back to the 70s, then I think it might not hurt to acknowledge that connection.
gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By gesi1223

Any list that pits Super Mario Kart above Super Mario Bros is just a bad list in general.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

what the fuck

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hexpane

absolutely not. I can't think of a single game that I've enjoyed influenced by cart racing.  It's a silly idea

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Viva Pinata Racing would be cooler...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Hamz
Bullet_Jr said:
"I know this, of all the girls I've been with that aren't gamers, every single one of them could hand me my ass in a game of Mario Kart."
Same with me. Its a great game for sure. One that everyone, child, parent or grandparent can get to grips with easily.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karmum

Halo, influential? What a joke. GWR are completely irrelevant to video games. Final Fantasy XII and Call of Duty 4?

Wow.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

Really really dumb list.

Doom is absolutely #1.  If that title hadn't come out and been as popular as it was, we wouldn't have a third as many FPS titles today as we do.
Street Fighter 2 should be in the top 5.  Influenced all the fighting games afterwards.
Halo and Goldeneye should be in the top 40.
There's a lot of titles up there like Super Mario series games that weren't as influential but were great

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Where the fuck is Starcraft? And why is Mario Kart above...uhhh.. SUPER MARIO BROS.

Terrible