Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
For parts 1-21 click here
The Video Game culture has quite a number of icons, and while Nintendo has created quite a number of them, they certainly dont have a monopoly on awesome characters. as such, it is my distinct pleasure to create a list of third party presence in Super Smash Brothers unlike anything we have seen in the series prior. Every weekday I'll bring you a blog on the third party characters that deserve a place in Nintendos next Civil War. I am completely open to suggestions, and if you feel a deserving character has been left out, tell me why they should make it and I'll potentially make some changes. 

Rules:
  • No more than four characters per franchise
  • Characters will be known for their video game presence over all other multimedia endeavors
  • Characters must be important and in almost all cases have a distinct personality

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic
Synopsis: Sonic and Mario have been rivals for more than 15 years, though they had not met face to face until the last iteration of Super Smash Brothers (unless you count the Olympics). While the character has had a tough time making the move to three dimensions, his 2-D games are still good. He is unparalleled in speed within the realm of video games. 
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush
SSB4 Likelyhood: 
8/10
Alternate Costumes: Shadow and Silver would be little more than a pallet swap, Metal Sonic would be heavier, with jets
Metal Sonic
Shadow
Silver

Tails
Synopsis: Miles "Tails" Prower was Sonic's first partner, showing up in Sonic 2. The character has a number of unique attributes, including having two tails, which he can use as helicopter blades, and a gift for working with machines, which he often uses to create flying vehicles. 
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
SSB4 Likelyhood: 
3/10

Knuckles
Synopsis: A gruff anti-hero, Knuckles is one of only two side characters in the Sonic universe to have his name in a game title(the other being Shadow). This Echidna is able to glide over gaps and use the spikes on his hands to stick to walls, and uses his fists to break both walls and enemies.
Notable Appearances: Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Advance, Sonic the Hedgehog
SSB4 Likelyhood: 3/10

Eggman
Synopsis: The bumbling mad scientist enemy of Sonic, Eggman has tried and failed to get rid of the pesky hedgehog more times than he can count, and he's a self-proclaimed genius! His goal is to conquer the world, and for him, the ends justify the means.
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Rush
SSB4 Likelyhood: 4/10

Creature:
Chao

#1 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
For parts 1-21 click here
The Video Game culture has quite a number of icons, and while Nintendo has created quite a number of them, they certainly dont have a monopoly on awesome characters. as such, it is my distinct pleasure to create a list of third party presence in Super Smash Brothers unlike anything we have seen in the series prior. Every weekday I'll bring you a blog on the third party characters that deserve a place in Nintendos next Civil War. I am completely open to suggestions, and if you feel a deserving character has been left out, tell me why they should make it and I'll potentially make some changes. 

Rules:
  • No more than four characters per franchise
  • Characters will be known for their video game presence over all other multimedia endeavors
  • Characters must be important and in almost all cases have a distinct personality

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic
Synopsis: Sonic and Mario have been rivals for more than 15 years, though they had not met face to face until the last iteration of Super Smash Brothers (unless you count the Olympics). While the character has had a tough time making the move to three dimensions, his 2-D games are still good. He is unparalleled in speed within the realm of video games. 
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush
SSB4 Likelyhood: 
8/10
Alternate Costumes: Shadow and Silver would be little more than a pallet swap, Metal Sonic would be heavier, with jets
Metal Sonic
Shadow
Silver

Tails
Synopsis: Miles "Tails" Prower was Sonic's first partner, showing up in Sonic 2. The character has a number of unique attributes, including having two tails, which he can use as helicopter blades, and a gift for working with machines, which he often uses to create flying vehicles. 
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
SSB4 Likelyhood: 
3/10

Knuckles
Synopsis: A gruff anti-hero, Knuckles is one of only two side characters in the Sonic universe to have his name in a game title(the other being Shadow). This Echidna is able to glide over gaps and use the spikes on his hands to stick to walls, and uses his fists to break both walls and enemies.
Notable Appearances: Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Advance, Sonic the Hedgehog
SSB4 Likelyhood: 3/10

Eggman
Synopsis: The bumbling mad scientist enemy of Sonic, Eggman has tried and failed to get rid of the pesky hedgehog more times than he can count, and he's a self-proclaimed genius! His goal is to conquer the world, and for him, the ends justify the means.
Notable Appearances: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Rush
SSB4 Likelyhood: 4/10

Creature:
Chao

#2 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -

Big the Cat final smash?

#3 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

NOT BLAZE. NO. NOT AT ALL.

Amy Rose.
#4 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

You forgot Wolf Sonic!

#5 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
BoG said:
"NOT BLAZE. NO. NOT AT ALL.
Amy Rose.
"
Blaze has a better chancew then most of them since she, save for one exception, has appeared on a Nintendo platform with every one of her games. Plus Amy Rose is annoying as hell.
deathfury said:
"You forgot Wolf Sonic!"
I didn't forget him, i left him off on purpose. However, if a number of people want the werehog, i suppose Ill have to add it
#6 Edited by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Blaze? What about Dr. Eggman? Isn't he a better choice?

#7 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Dr. Eggman is more original than Blaze!  He is Sonic's natural enemy!

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Tireyo643 said:
"Dr. Eggman is more original than Blaze!  He is Sonic's natural enemy!"
Yes, but Blaze has been almost exclusively on Nintendo platforms. Besides, would Eggman really be all that great of a fighter? I'd just as soon leave him off, though I'll have to think of a good assist trophy for him
#9 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

Oh, you also need Big the Cat if you're gonna have Sonic in a game!

#10 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Tireyo643 said:
Yes, but Blaze has been almost exclusively on Nintendo platforms. Besides, would Eggman really be all that great of a fighter? I'd just as soon leave him off, though I'll have to think of a good assist trophy for him
"

Think about it this way.  They had characters in brawl from The Legend of Zelda.  Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, and Ganondorf.*

There were characters from the Mario franchise.  You had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, DK*, and Bowser.*

The Starfox Franchise - Fox, Falco, and Wolf*

The Kirby Franchise: Meta Knight*, Kirby, King Dedede*

Notice that these are a mix of good and bad characters.

To me, it wouldn't seem right if you had all the good guys from the Sonic series to be on the next Brawl.  Since Dr. Eggman is an enemy, he has a higher probability to be on the next S.S.B. than Blaze does because she is not an original Sonic character, she is a secondary character.  Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman are pretty much the ones that made Sonic to begin with!  It doesn't matter if Dr. Eggman would be a good fighter, having Blaze in there wouldn't even provide much of a variety.  Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles just about have similar moves, and adding Blaze would really be nonsense to me.  Dr. Eggman would be a more reasonable and realistic choice.
#11 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Tireyo643 said:
"AgentJ said:
"Tireyo643 said:
"
Think about it this way.  They had characters in brawl from The Legend of Zelda.  Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, and Ganondorf.*There were characters from the Mario franchise.  You had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, DK*, and Bowser.*The Starfox Franchise - Fox, Falco, and Wolf*The Kirby Franchise: Meta Knight*, Kirby, King Dedede*Notice that these are a mix of good and bad characters.To me, it wouldn't seem right if you had all the good guys from the Sonic series to be on the next Brawl.  Since Dr. Eggman is an enemy, he has a higher probability to be on the next S.S.B. than Blaze does because she is not an original Sonic character, she is a secondary character.  Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman are pretty much the ones that made Sonic to begin with!  It doesn't matter if Dr. Eggman would be a good fighter, having Blaze in there wouldn't even provide much of a variety.  Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles just about have similar moves, and adding Blaze would really be nonsense to me.  Dr. Eggman would be a more reasonable and realistic choice."
I totally understand your thinking, but Bowser and Ganondorf weren't even in until Melee, King dedede and wolf didnt make it until brawl, and we still dont have villians from Metroid, F-Zero, or Donkey Kong, so adding a villian wasn't a huge priority. You are making a good point though, and by tomorrow I may have to switch someone with Eggman, however its unlikely to be Blaze.
#12 Edited by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

AgentJ:  Just make an excepetion, and make him number 5.  Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles needs to be left alone.

#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Tireyo643 said:
"Just make an excepetion, and make him number 5.  Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles needs to be left alone."
Nope, no exceptions. There will be no more than 4 character slots per series. Perhaps I should lump Tails and Knuckles into one slot, since they both fly, and then put Amy in with Blaze...
#14 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

I really don't know why you have a fixtation on Blaze.  Question is, what do you mean by lumping Tails and Knuckles into one slot? Amy with Blaze too?  They are different characters!

#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Tireyo643 said:
"I really don't know why you have a fixtation on Blaze.  Question is, what do you mean by lumping Tails and Knuckles into one slot? Amy with Blaze too?  They are different characters!"
Yes, and so are Zelda and Shiek, and the three different pokemon. It wouldnt be the first time that i've put multiple characters in the same selection slot, though it'd probably make less sense with these characters. Perhaps Blaze would be better regulated to assist trophy, or perhaps eggman should take the honor...
#16 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Tireyo643 said:
"I really don't know why you have a fixtation on Blaze.  Question is, what do you mean by lumping Tails and Knuckles into one slot? Amy with Blaze too?  They are different characters!"
Yes, and so are Zelda and Shiek, and the three different pokemon. It wouldnt be the first time that i've put multiple characters in the same selection slot, though it'd probably make less sense with these characters. Perhaps Blaze would be better regulated to assist trophy, or perhaps eggman should take the honor...
"
Exactly.  :)
#17 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

You know what's wierd?  Zelda transforms into Sheik and vise versa.  I think it's the same person in two different bodies.  The Pokemon just evolve.  I know that the "Pokemon Trainer" has three Pokemon that you can control, but they are different. 

It's fun talking to you! I could just do this all night, but I have to go to bed.  I'll comment more tomorrow!  I'm keeping my eye on you boy! :D 

Here you go!

Chocolate! :D  I like cookies too, but I saved this one just for you! :D
#18 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Cookie! Nom Nom Nom.

I suppose I'll probably change it. Blaze will likely become an assist trophy... Damn you and your logic!!!
#19 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Useless Sonic character like Fang the Sniper

#20 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

Amy is much more of a main character than Blaze >.>

#21 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Discorsi said:
"Amy is much more of a main character than Blaze >.>"
Yes, but Blaze is like the Nintendo character for the Sonic franchise, hence my including her. After all, shes appeared in over ten games, and only 2 of those were on a console that wasnt made by Nintendo, while only one wasn't on a Nintendo system.
#22 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Cookie! Nom Nom Nom.
I suppose I'll probably change it. Blaze will likely become an assist trophy... Damn you and your logic!!!
"

Lol! Don't worry, be happy!! :D

#23 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

How 'bout none? Did anyone even want Sonic in Brawl?

#24 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Red: Sonic in Brawl wasn't a bad idea. 

#25 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -
Red said:
"How 'bout none? Did anyone even want Sonic in Brawl?"
I sure did.

And to add more confusion to the proceedings here, I pretty much guaruntee that if Shadow appears, he'll be his own character. As well as this, I reckon he has the most chance of appearing alongside sonic. Why? Well, he's the most popular character in Japan, he can be considered 'evil', which would help keep the good/evil balance, and he's too different to simply be an alternate costume. For one thing, they'd have to change his voice, and on top of that there'd be all sorts of opportunity to get in some crazy Chaos Control-esque moves.

And from a storyline perspective (if they go this route) shadow would provide sonic with something to do, as it would be a little weird for me if Sonic joined up with some nintendo characters for the majority of the story. He's more of a loner. At least, he likes to think he is, though he's always on about friendship and all that jazz. Sonic and Shadow could be rivals as a sort of 'side story' thing, untill the end when they inevitably join sides to fight some bad guy.
#26 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Rinkalicous said:
"Red said:
"How 'bout none? Did anyone even want Sonic in Brawl?"
I sure did.

And to add more confusion to the proceedings here, I pretty much guaruntee that if Shadow appears, he'll be his own character. As well as this, I reckon he has the most chance of appearing alongside sonic. Why? Well, he's the most popular character in Japan, he can be considered 'evil', which would help keep the good/evil balance, and he's too different to simply be an alternate costume. For one thing, they'd have to change his voice, and on top of that there'd be all sorts of opportunity to get in some crazy Chaos Control-esque moves.

And from a storyline perspective (if they go this route) shadow would provide sonic with something to do, as it would be a little weird for me if Sonic joined up with some nintendo characters for the majority of the story. He's more of a loner. At least, he likes to think he is, though he's always on about friendship and all that jazz. Sonic and Shadow could be rivals as a sort of 'side story' thing, untill the end when they inevitably join sides to fight some bad guy.
"
While I wouldnt be shocked if Shadow made it (Pichu made it in on Japanese popularity alone), Id prefer if he simply took the same character slot as Sonic. After all, they are essentially the same character with different colors, at least aestheticly. Ideally he would have his own voice, so it'd be more like they control the same despite being different characters with different voices. 

Essentially what I have been doing this entire time is lumping together all of the characters that would have the same moveset(aka clones, ex: Olimar/Louie) as well as any cases where the same character would appear on the roster, even if they controlled completely different (ex: samus/zsSamus, Zelda/Shiek). There will certainly be changes to many of these pages as time goes on (i may lump wolf in with fox) but im pretty happy with how I have things set up. 
By the way, the idea is that if you were using Shadow under my setup, he would be treated as if he was a seperate character during battle. He'd have his own voice, and the crowd would cheer "Shadow" when he's doing well. The Victory screen would say "Shadow". The same would be true for Pikmins Louie.
#27 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

I guess that would be a neat feature for nintendo to add in. 'Clones' who are there to accomodate more characters. This means Characters like Daisy and, of course, Shadow, would get a fair bash at being included. Seeing as Shadow is able to turn into 'hyper shadow', much like 'super sonic', the final smash would be a simple re-texture as well.

However, I'd still prefer shadow Zipping about with his time travel/teleportation abilities, but can't ahve everything, eh?
#28 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Rinkalicous said:
"I guess that would be a neat feature for nintendo to add in. 'Clones' who are there to accomodate more characters. This means Characters like Daisy and, of course, Shadow, would get a fair bash at being included. Seeing as Shadow is able to turn into 'hyper shadow', much like 'super sonic', the final smash would be a simple re-texture as well.

However, I'd still prefer shadow Zipping about with his time travel/teleportation abilities, but can't ahve everything, eh?
"
Ah you seem to get it. Daisy is another example of a character thats sharing a slot! It would probably be neat to see Shadow get his own move set,  even though im not much of a Sonic fan, but I think that this idea makes it more likely that he gets included.
#29 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Man! You move through these things so quickly, I'm always way behind. Sorry to bring back an old one, but I missed it before.

I think you covered Sonic nicely and possible alternate costumes, however seeing Tails kind of got me thinking... Now that Sonic will be in his 2nd Smash Bros, perhaps they should go the route of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. By that I mean, maybe Tails should accompany Sonic as one player. You know, something to the extent of how the Ice Climbers work together. I don't think Tails has enough of an arsenal to work as a fighter, so what if he ran behind Sonic in the game just like in the series? I don't mean as a second player you could control, but more along the lines of an assisting player. If you do a spin dash with Sonic, Tails will do it too and his spin dash will hit like a second later than Sonic's. So it'd be an opportunity for Sonic to get bonus hits with certain moves that Tails could also perform. Also, it could open up the possibility of them working together to perform certain specials. Additionally, Sonic's "third" jump could involve Tails grabbing him and using his flying ability to lift and raise Sonic a little higher for a few seconds. Then there would also be the possibility of Tails being killed, and then Sonic would lose these bonus moves, just like the Ice Climbers do. However, just like with Popo and Nana or whatever, Tails would respawn everytime Sonic did. I think that could be a totally great way to throw Tails into the mix. What are your thoughts on that?

Personally, I was really hoping Knuckles would have been in Brawl along with Sonic. He has those awesome spiked fists that are made for brawling. He also has features like his glide that help to differentiate him from Sonic. I think his chance of appearing in SSB4 is actually pretty good. I think there's enough they can do with him to work him into the game, and besides, who doesn't like Knuckles? He's awesome.

I think Robotnik can be a fantastic addition to the series. He seems to me like he'd be a weird choice for a brawler, but with all his robotic creations and everything, I think they could get really creative with him and turn him into a really unique and amusing fighter. Plus I'd just love to see him running around with his creepy, awkward, stalking movements.

#30 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
"Man! You move through these things so quickly, I'm always way behind. Sorry to bring back an old one, but I missed it before. I think you covered Sonic nicely and possible alternate costumes, however seeing Tails kind of got me thinking... Now that Sonic will be in his 2nd Smash Bros, perhaps they should go the route of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. By that I mean, maybe Tails should accompany Sonic as one player. You know, something to the extent of how the Ice Climbers work together. I don't think Tails has enough of an arsenal to work as a fighter, so what if he ran behind Sonic in the game just like in the series? I don't mean as a second player you could control, but more along the lines of an assisting player. If you do a spin dash with Sonic, Tails will do it too and his spin dash will hit like a second later than Sonic's. So it'd be an opportunity for Sonic to get bonus hits with certain moves that Tails could also perform. Also, it could open up the possibility of them working together to perform certain specials. Additionally, Sonic's "third" jump could involve Tails grabbing him and using his flying ability to lift and raise Sonic a little higher for a few seconds. Then there would also be the possibility of Tails being killed, and then Sonic would lose these bonus moves, just like the Ice Climbers do. However, just like with Popo and Nana or whatever, Tails would respawn everytime Sonic did. I think that could be a totally great way to throw Tails into the mix. What are your thoughts on that?Personally, I was really hoping Knuckles would have been in Brawl along with Sonic. He has those awesome spiked fists that are made for brawling. He also has features like his glide that help to differentiate him from Sonic. I think his chance of appearing in SSB4 is actually pretty good. I think there's enough they can do with him to work him into the game, and besides, who doesn't like Knuckles? He's awesome.I think Robotnik can be a fantastic addition to the series. He seems to me like he'd be a weird choice for a brawler, but with all his robotic creations and everything, I think they could get really creative with him and turn him into a really unique and amusing fighter. Plus I'd just love to see him running around with his creepy, awkward, stalking movements."
Your idea is actually very interesting. The problem i think is that Sonic is so individual that pairing tails with him would just seem weird. It seems similar to pairing Mario with Peach, in that both characters have too much of an identity by themselves to be paired together. However, maybe with another pair of characters coming later on in my set that feature one walking, one flying character, that could potentially work? ; )
#31 Posted by bjacobs (19 posts) -

sorry to revive an old topic, but i was reading through all of these, since i just saw your newest one and i'm new to this site... anyways i'm a sonic fanboy so meh

first of all, tails actually had a couple titles to himself, and dr. robotnik had one as well.

shadow has had a few chaos powers since the first game he was in, and those have only been developing further since, with sonic chronicles giving him several, so he would actually make a very different character from sonic. probably stronger (and slightly slower for balance) and ranged instead of melee like sonic is. ex: chaos control could be his 3rd jump, chaos spear could be a ranged shot like din's fire (zelda), and chaos blast would be an area of effect attack around the character.

and silver makes me sick to look at. blech!

#32 Posted by infernochidori (3 posts) -

I know you have Shadow as a palette for Sonic, but he has such a high demand, why couldn't Eggman just be a boss for the story mode? just my opinion though

#33 Edited by Furianu (1 posts) -

Peition for Sonic & Tails being playable in next "Super Smash Bros" for Wii U

Hey guys,

I created a Petition for Sonic and Tails being playable in the next "Super Smash Bros" which has been announced at the E3 for the Wii U.

If you want these two characters to be playable in this game too, then please enter your first and last name and signing on the petition, and send it to me or to SEGA or Nintendo.

Furthermore, you can share and send this documents to all your friends, family, internet, SEGA, Nintendo etc... Together we might be succesful!

SEGA Sonic Forum: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?374533-Peition-for-Sonic-amp-Tails-being-playable-in-next-quot-Super-Smash-Bros-quot-for-Wii-U

Document: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...Tails.doc.html

Petition: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...Tails.xls.html

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqTDp7pE5o

Here as pictures: 

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9814/peion1.png

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4351/peion2.png

#34 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

#35 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Furianu: You actually signed up just to spread your silly internet petition? Well good luck with that, kid.