SuperBunnyHop 2016 Campaign: The News Editor Giant Bombericans Need!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

With the recent announcement of Austin Walker leaving, duders nationwide are worried about the site's news economy. There is only one man Giant Bomb can hire to fill this job and it's George Weidman (aka SuperBunnyHop). George applied to the job in the past but the people rallied behind Walker instead, with his strong position on anime and mechs winning people's minds and hearts. But the GBnation has changed and now we don't just want the Weidman -- WE NEED THE WEIDMAN!

• He's become one of the -- if not THE -- most successful YouTuber at making game analysis videos that are well-researched, entertaining and popular in the community. Klepek even tried to make videos in his style recently.
  • He has been running a podcast for over a year and he's pretty good at it. His voice and attitude is relaxed and let's others speak up while being entertaining.
  • He's been a fan of the site for years but he's not a creepy super fan, much like Walker. So he'll know the history of the site and the personalities, helping him fit right in.
  • He's found success as a truly independent game journalist, even making the news at many big sites with his Konami/Kojima investigation series.
  • He shares the liberal views of Walker and Klepek but more importantly, he also share's their openness to explore outrage coming from groups they don't usually associate with -- allowing for a more nuanced and empathetic take on controversy in the game community, instead of the gross reactions you see at other gaming outlets.
  • He covers interests outside the core staff, including the most important to the site: independent games
  • His last name sounds like "Weed Man" so I'm sure Jeff will love saying "I'm waiting on my weed man" over the years.

Yes, I'm shilling hard for Weidman but it's only because I'm a big fan of both and think they'd be perfect together. I wished the same for Ryckert when they announced they were hiring and look how that came out -- okay, don't look at how that came out actually. Anyway, Weidman has an insane work ethic, great attitude and is a unique voice in games that would pair so well with the rest of GB staff. I know it's Jeff and co.'s call at the end of the day, but I imagine it may help his chances if us fans in the community voice our interest in him being a considered hire.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Nah. Let the staff decide.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I think it's kind of weird to publicly say he's applied for the job before, but I suppose I can't argue your points?

But let's let the staff decide.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Best person(s) for the job, and I trust the duders to choose whomever they think best fits whatever it is they want to do now.

I will add though - SuperBunnyHop's YouTube content is top quality. People should check it out if they haven't already.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shindig  Online

Hulk Hogan.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Nime

While well spoken, I've always felt that SuperBunnyHop lacked personality and is honestly quite boring to me. He has a case of "speaking too much while saying too little" in a lot of his reviews and videos.

So I guess I'd put my vote against that (not that we're actually voting).

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nah. I'm sure whoever the staff decides, it'll be a great pick, but I can't really advocate the idea of "voting" for a hire.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

@csl316 said:

I think it's kind of weird to publicly say he's applied for the job before, but I suppose I can't argue your points?

But let's let the staff decide.

He publicly tweeted about it years ago, so not sure how that's weird.

What's with this "let staff decide" comments? As if there is another option? The only point of post is to put Weidman on their radar, as I'm sure HOT YOUNG YOUTUBE INFLUENCERS like himself may slip through the cracks while people Jeff knows personally at other outlets are more favored -- but this might even be a understandable prerequisite for all we know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, so it starts again. I can't wait for the outrage when they not choose [insert expectation here].

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By poser

Dude is no of the few Youtubers that I actually enjoy. Some of his videos run a little long... but nodody is yelling so that is a plus.

But to be blunt... He won't get hired because he isn't a woman or an minority.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That would be an interesting choice. I like his critical takes, even when I don't agree.

Side question, did he ever make an MGS4 video? I really liked his disassembling of the first 3.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyrodactyl

He also showcases the enthusiasm of a depressed sloth. Giant bomb already has enough jadedness to fuel 3 websites. I hope they find someone who's upbeat and optimistic about video games to fill Austin's position.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

this was a bad idea

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Syce300

Can we just not do this? First off Austin is still working here at this moment and it feels kinda shitty to be talking about who his "replacement" should or shouldn't be before he's even finished his goodbyes. Secondly, Jeff said they were gonna take some time internally to discuss what they want to do so you're really jumping the gun here when the crew themselves don't even know what kind of person they want for the role. Thirdly this guy clearly has an extensive video portfolio and whatnot so that should be enough for him to stand on his own without a popular campaign to get him hired. The bomb crew don't need people telling them who they should and shouldn't hire.

Just my two cents, there are a lot of people who find this kind of campaigning, especially preemptive campaigning, to be kinda shitty. It's great that you really like this guy's work and hope he can get a chance this time but last time around the whole "Hire Cara Ellison!" crowd got real awkward and annoying real fast even though I like Cara and it'd be nice to avoid that now.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#16 chaser324  Moderator

We're not doing this. Austin isn't even out the door yet, so let's please refrain from all of this sort of speculation and discussion about replacing him. Please just be patient while the staff weigh their options about how to fill the position.