Supreme Court to decide if states can regulate video games

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

Apparently the powers that be are to decide whether or not violent video games can be sold to minors in the state of California. Here are sources:

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court will consider reviving a California law prohibiting sales of violent video games to minors, agreeing to review a ruling that the ban is an unconstitutional infringement on freedom of speech.

The nation’s highest court today accepted an appeal by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown. They argue that violent games are akin to sexual materials, which the government can restrict to protect children.

“We have a responsibility to our kids and our communities to protect against the effects of games that depict ultra- violent actions, just as we already do with movies,” Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

Two industry trade groups, the Entertainment Merchants Association and the Entertainment Software Association, challenged the law and urged the Supreme Court not to hear the California appeal. Members of the two groups include Electronic Arts Inc., Microsoft Corp., Sony Corp. and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of “Grand Theft Auto” games.

The article goes on. Follow the link to read the whole thing. Here are a few other sources. 

I, myself, am quite divided in this aspect. On one hand it pisses me off to see 12 year olds playing GTA IV. Not just because they are fucking annoying online, but because the game depicts too much violence to which they shouldn't just yet be exposed to. On the other hand, if the State of California is in fact moderating video games sales, they'll have to do the same for movie sales/rentals, comic books/graphic novels and even music or any source of entertainment which is inadequate for the younger generations, for whatever reason. But, if this scenario is indeed the only one in which this regulation would be fair and justifiable, then how close would we be to a totalitarianism? Or maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know.

Discuss!
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

Yeah it sucks. I heard about this on the news, and it's certainly stupid. I don't think the law will be able to be regulated well. Hopefully it won't happen.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Snail
@Tireyo643: So you wholeheartedly believe 12 year olds should be banging prostitutes and killing old ladies in a virtual world?
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Tireyo
@Snail:  LOLOLOL. No. = - P I was being sarcastic, even though it didn't look like it. HAHAHAHAHA.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Snail: If you can raise an intelligent kid then yeah. I grew up around violent video games and I've never had violent tendencies.
RobJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RobJ
@MasturbatingBear: Agreed. It the way the kids are raised and not the games themselves.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Snail
@MasturbatingBear: Since there isn't an easy and reliable way to identify intelligent children, I think this idea doesn't sound too bad.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By manhattan_project
@Snail: How is this gonna stop parents from buying thier kids GTA like they do now? 

Also, I thought it was already illegal, aren't stores required to ask for IDs?
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Snail: If the parent is dumb enough to not have a grasp on their own child's intelligence then they really shouldn't have kids.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By iam3green

meh, good i guess. i don't think it would stop from kids playing it though. i'm an adult so i couldn't care less about this problem. i buy my own games.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I am also split on the subject.

Part of me feels that more should be done to keep highly violent/graphic moves, books, music, and games away from younger audiences, yet many people only focus on the video game part of that and not movies. I can go to a movie store and rent R rated movies, and hell I even went into my library and checked out A Clockwork Orange with no questions asked, and I am not seventeen yet. However as Grace Metalious, "being told what I can and cannot read is like being told what to think." and you could really apply the same thing to every other art media. The other part of me knows the annoyance of walking in the GameStop and not being able to purchase an M rated game despite having playing hundreds of them, and viewing hundreds of R rated movies, simply because my parents aren't there.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

If a kid's parent buys their kid a game that the kid can't handle, then they're responsible for whatever happens as a result of that.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Brunchies

This law is a bad idea, its the parents decision if their kid can handle the violence in a game or not. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snail
@MasturbatingBear: Most parents shouldn't have children, then. And if the government doesn't step in, then no one will control what these kids play.

Look, I'm not taking sides here. I still don't know what to think. I'm simply challenging your arguments.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Snail said:
" @MasturbatingBear:Most parents shouldn't have children, then. And if the government doesn't step in, then no one will control what these kids play.  Look, I'm not taking sides here. I still don't know what to think. I'm simply challenging your arguments. "
Good point.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Brians

The debate is not about whether the state can censor video games. The constitutionality of a law in California was challenged and the case is about whether or not the law is legal.

I personally think it should remain illegal and if the voluntary rating system is letting so many young children have access to violent media ( I don't think it is) then there should be more call for parents to do their damn job. Be involved in their kids life and understand what they're looking at.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

The rating system is fine. Yes, sometimes they screw up when it comes to rating a particular game, but overall the system is fair. Young kids shouldn't be playing violent video games.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snail
@Briguile said:
" I personally think it should remain illegal and if the voluntary rating system is letting so many young children have access to violent media ( I don't think it is) "
Play GTA IV online. You'll see it is.

@Briguile said:
"then there should be more call for parents to do their damn job. Be involved in their kids life and understand what they're looking at. "
In modern day society that is simply too much to ask. Parenting is a lost art.
solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By solidlife

How it works in the UK 12 16 18 it is illegal for anyone under that age to Buy the respective rating. But they are still on the self for everyone to see. Its just law that No one under the age can buy the games. I thought how it worked in USA or is it just a guideline. 

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@solidlife said:
" How it works in the UK 12 16 18 it is illegal for anyone under that age to Buy the respective rating. But they are still on the self for everyone to see. Its just law that No one under the age can buy the games. I thought how it worked in USA or is it just a guideline.  "
Every sense the whole Hot Coffee scandal with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas it has pretty much been a law everywhere than people under the age of 17 cannot purchase Mature rated games without parent permission