• 113 results
#101 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

I don't care. If swearing means you get your point across better, then fuck it.

#102 Posted by fodigga (121 posts) -

@Hailinel: You're completely misunderstanding what I am trying to say here. I am thinking more of the deeper reasoning behind why these words can't be said. Fuck isn't offensive to any person or group of people like some other words may be, so what drove us as an English speaking society to put such a negative connotation. There is nothing inherently offensive or unprofessional about a simple 4 letter word that doesn't really mean anything.

So try again, disregarding whatever you may think about how society should proceed, tell me why fuck can't be said in conversation but almost every other word in the English language is just fine to say?

I'll tell you right now, it is impossible to justify.

#103 Posted by Corvak (567 posts) -

No issues with it, myself. GB has never gone for the overly formal style in it's writing, which is why many of us enjoy it - it feels more like someone describing a game to us as another gamer.

Having played ZombiU, I think it fits the gameplay experience.

#104 Posted by Psychohead (133 posts) -

Eh, I feel the other direction about it than the OP. Bring on more "fuck," says I. It's silly enough that we draw such an arbitrary distinction in how that word may or may not be used. Seeing it in a so-called professional review is just one more way of normalizing it.

Besides, it's Giant Bomb. It's perfectly in keeping with their tone. It would almost be weirder if Patrick didn't use the word fuck.

#105 Posted by 71Ranchero (2580 posts) -

Giant Bomb has reviews?

#106 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

This is a site made up of mostly adults or near adults

#107 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -
@thebroken

@Hailinel: You're completely misunderstanding what I am trying to say here. I am thinking more of the deeper reasoning behind why these words can't be said. Fuck isn't offensive to any person or group of people like some other words may be, so what drove us as an English speaking society to put such a negative connotation. There is nothing inherently offensive or unprofessional about a simple 4 letter word that doesn't really mean anything.

So try again, disregarding whatever you may think about how society should proceed, tell me why fuck can't be said in conversation but almost every other word in the English language is just fine to say?

I'll tell you right now, it is impossible to justify.

Some words are just not for use in polite settings. I don't need to justify that because it's not my place nor yours to dictate social norms. Just because profanities and racial slurs are "only" words doesn't mean that it's OK to use them.
#108 Posted by Aetheldod (3339 posts) -

Yeah I agree with op ... heck even Alex who has a more potty mouth never sweares on his reviews. Not the end of the world though.

#109 Posted by fodigga (121 posts) -

@Hailinel: Its more of a philosophical argument that I am making. Just the simple fact that we deem some words "profanities" is completely ridiculous to me. I completely understand that people expect conversation to be conducted in a certain manner. I don't ever swear around my family because they don't do it, but around friends and at school I sure as hell did. I worked for a short time at a fairly large company, where it was very common to be talking to one of my supervisors and have them say fuck a few times, yet we get reprimanded if we came in to work wearing jeans or sneakers. We were expected to look professional but word choice did not seem to matter at all.

I try to approach everything rationally and I try very hard to think about the reasoning behind everything. I know what the perception of swearing is, and it doesn't ever bother me, and I don't think it should ever bother anyone because it is harmless and ridiculous.

#110 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

In such an important document!

#111 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3627 posts) -

@thebroken said:

@Hailinel: Its more of a philosophical argument that I am making. Just the simple fact that we deem some words "profanities" is completely ridiculous to me. I completely understand that people expect conversation to be conducted in a certain manner. I don't ever swear around my family because they don't do it, but around friends and at school I sure as hell did. I worked for a short time at a fairly large company, where it was very common to be talking to one of my supervisors and have them say fuck a few times, yet we get reprimanded if we came in to work wearing jeans or sneakers. We were expected to look professional but word choice did not seem to matter at all.

I try to approach everything rationally and I try very hard to think about the reasoning behind everything. I know what the perception of swearing is, and it doesn't ever bother me, and I don't think it should ever bother anyone because it is harmless and ridiculous.

I get what you're saying but you can't just apply what your perception is and say it shouldn't bother anyone else. You can't tell people what they can and can't be offended by. If you really think about it, yeah it is absurd that a word should be offensive, it's group of syllables but you can break almost anything down to that level. I think it's ridiculous that I have to carry around a bunch of pieces of paper that tell people what my perceived worth is that really only exists on computers and I trade that for stuff I need. That doesn't change how it is.

#112 Posted by Video_Game_King (34604 posts) -

@thebroken said:

Just the simple fact that we deem some words "profanities" is completely ridiculous to me.

Let me explain it through the power of etymology: profanity. Profane. Religiously profane. That's where it all comes from: what offended a certain religion's sensibilities. That explains the language in Dante's Inferno: tons of fucks and shits and other shit, but never once do you hear Virgil exclaim "Jesus Christ!". (Obviously, I got all this from a footnote I remember from when I read Inferno.) So why are fuck and shit considered profane? Because Protestants are rebels, baby. You can't tie Martin Luther down.

#113 Posted by fodigga (121 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Whether true or not, and I am not a religious man at all, this supports one of the first things I said in this thread: it is a completely antiquated way of thinking. This is a problem of our own making stemming from the beliefs of some crusty old dudes hundreds of years ago, yet we continue along with this misguided belief. The majority of the people on this website will go about their days saying whatever the fuck they want without thinking twice about it when suddenly hypocrisy hits when they see fuck written on a website widely known to be a purveyor of shits and fucks.

We can talk all day in polite conversation about "crap", but when someone instead uses "shit" there is an uproar, when we all know that those two words mean 100% the same thing, so why do we still treat one of them as any worse than the other?