#1 Posted by Sgykah (95 posts) -

I think the WiiU has a decent idea. I just want to take it further.

Here's the core: turn the tablet into a legitimate part of the control scheme for a game. For example, in a space flight simulator, having your tablet synced to the screen so that you could tap on any number of buttons to do a variety of tasks such as load missiles into a bay, shift shields forward, send out a repair drone, shift power to engines... I feel like you could do a lot of really fun things with a tablet since you can select things by tapping on them.

Also, after using google maps on my tablet, I want a legitimate RTS on it.

#2 Edited by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

I think there's a lot of interesting things you could do with the touch screen but just mapping actions that would normally be performed with a conventional controller to buttons on the touch screen seems unimaginative and potentially detrimental to the game. Essentially touch screen buttons are the same as regular buttons except without the tactile feedback. In the kind of example you're putting forward, all of those things could be done with conventional buttons, but with the touch screen the player would keep having to look away from their TV and back at it over and over, and arguably the controls wouldn't feel as good. In what way is that more fun?

#3 Edited by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

I don't want to have to look at my controller while playing a game, if you are stuck looking at the tablet instead of the TV, what is the point, it may as well just be a mobile game.

Edit: I do think there are interesting ideas using tablets as supplementary displays for games; maybe displaying a more detailed world map, inventory, playbook for sports games, gauges in racing games; I just don't see any fun in using it as an actual controller.

#4 Posted by Sgykah (95 posts) -

I love it. I hadn't thought about this enough to write my initial post, but man it sounds even more awesome now that I've been forced to think about specific uses.

I was kinda of going with the idea that it has the advantage of being both a supplementary display and a touch responsive controller that would serve as an ancillary controller. With more complex games that fall into space simulators and mech warrior clones, you always have all these menus, and alternate windows, that take you away from the primary cockpit view. I say keep the TV as the constant primary cockpit and use the tablet as a way to do the ancillary things you would use alternate menus for. For example, the tablet can have the ability to easily tab between alternate things such as maps and graphical damage displays.

An example would be: Your ship took damage to different systems? prioritize which system gets repaired first on the tablet while the TV is still showing the primary cockpit view. The tablet is not required for the game to function, you can still use the TV or computer display to switch to the tab that shows the damage reports and allows you to prioritize, it's just the tablet lets you do it without having to switch tabs on that primary view. Another nifty use would be to use the tablet to set way-points on a map. Or to use the tablet to see what drones see, or even alternate cameras. Maybe there's a turret with lock on targeting, you can use the tablet to select a target and tell the turret to attack it. Picking targets on a map and telling wingmen or members of your team to attack/protect.

The main idea is that the information presented in alternate tabs within the game is offloaded to the tablet so that you get better immersion. Every example I'm thinking of is something that traditionally is done in some sub menu. So the idea isn't that the tablet is a primary controller, instead that it's an offload. Something that lets you do more complex tasks on the side.

#5 Edited by manicraider (87 posts) -

@Sgykah: It's not a totally bad idea, I just don't see Nintendo pulling it off. I also heard that they're trying to push for a majority single player games. That's not bad for me since I'm a friendless loner but from time to time I do enjoy playing with others (like family).

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I don't want to have to look at my controller while playing a game, if you are stuck looking at the tablet instead of the TV, what is the point, it may as well just be a mobile game.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of staring at a tablet while I'm getting my ass handed to me on screen.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

It would be nice to see PC games take advantage of tablets, it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to implement, considering how many other kinds of apps work in-cahoots with desktop applications.

#8 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

I'm sure after all the money they spent on R&D for this thing, they would have thought about the touch-only controller option. I'm guessing the tactile feedback you get from buttons and analogue sticks would have outweighed the minimalist idea of having no buttons at all. It would be great for some games, but not all.

#9 Posted by Sgykah (95 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@Kidavenger said:

Yeah, I don't like the idea of staring at a tablet while I'm getting my ass handed to me on screen.

That's an excellent point, but like I said, the tablet would be most useful for things where you would normally leave the main view for an alternate view anyways (like setting waypoints on a map). In this way, you can still see the main view out of the corner of your eye while using the tablet to navigate the map.

#10 Posted by believer258 (12213 posts) -

What you've suggested, OP, sounds exactly like the sort of actions that a tablet would do best. Anything that needs to be done in half a second, i.e. the most important moment-to-moment actions, should be on buttons. This is the way it should be with anything. However, if it's something you should do during a lull in the action or something that doesn't require you to do it really quickly, then the touch screen is a great place for it.

Things like quick saving or having item slots in Skyrim or any other RPG would have a welcome spot on a tablet screen, provided there are still buttons available for other actions.