Take-Two Q1: "Quality over quickness"

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix

You know i have a soft spot for Take-two. The company isnt an activision which can post quarterly profits but they have kept saying they prefer "quality over quickness"

Here are the breakdowns for Take two Q1

• BioShock Infinite sold over 4 million units since it was released in March 2013.
  • Grand Theft Auto 4 has moved over 25 million units since its 2008 release. Install base for current-generation consoles has increased three-fold since then.
  • Take-Two expects 60% of revenue for the full year to come from its back catalog, 2K titles, and GTA 5.
  • The firm closed out Q1 FY14 with revenue of $142.7 million down from $226.1 million year-over-year.
  • Catalog sales accounted for 60% of net revenue led by the Borderlands, Grand Theft Auto, and Red Dead Redemption franchises

Take two could easily release a GTA every single year but as Company CEO Strauss Zelnick said it would degrade the franchise.

Take two have cited 3 games which will hope to bring in profit.

GTA V

WWE 2K14

NBA 2K14

Its a shame they haven't listed The Bureau Xcom De-classified to sell well. http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/30/take-two-q1-fy14-bioshock-infinite-moves-over-4-million-units/

They have some Next gen projects but they don't want to talk about it But they did file a new Bully trademark. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/take-two-files-new-bully-trademark-6412224

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I do agree with them.

Having a good well made game is better then milking the game out every year. Like call of duty and assassin's creed, still don't know how people can get hyped for those games anymore.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Take two could easily release a GTA every single year but as Company CEO Strauss Zelnick said it would degrade the franchise.

Didn't they kind of do that in the PS2 era? And weren't those some really good GTA games?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Grand Theft Auto 4 has moved over 25 million units

That's alot of bowling.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jimmyfenix said:

Didn't they kind of do that in the PS2 era? And weren't those some really good GTA games?

• GTA 3 - October 2001
  • Vice City - October 2002
  • San Andreas - October 2004

Yup, they definitely kind of did that before. And those games were all progressively better.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@theht said:

@video_game_king said:

@jimmyfenix said:

• GTA 3 - October 2001
  • Vice City - October 2002
  • San Andreas - October 2004

Yup, they definitely kind of did that before. And those games were all progressively better.

Yes, but back then it was still relatively fresh. At this point, there are so many games that build off of that formula but don't have as much quality poured into them, it would be really bad for the franchise. And plus since the current generation, they've built an entire new engine to build their games, and it requires a whole lot more effort to create a game with, as opposed to the Renderware engine, which could turn around games very quickly. I think it's a necessity for them to take their time to craft great games. I'm sure people can tell the difference between a game like Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed III, for example.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@greggd said:

I'm sure people can tell the difference between a game like Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed III, for example.

I think one of them has cowboys. I think.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

I'm sure people can tell the difference between a game like Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed III, for example.

I think one of them has cowboys. I think.

I will say, that Assassin's Creed III has the advantage of having 100% more pilotable boats than Red Dead. And they both have horses.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@greggd: I think the bigger point is that it was a lot quicker to make games back then (DNF/Mother 3 aside). It'd be pretty impossible to build something similar to GTAIV in a year unless they decided to link all their studios together ala Assassins Creed.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@greggd: I think the bigger point is that it was a lot quicker to make games back then (DNF/Mother 3 aside). It'd be pretty impossible to build something similar to GTAIV in a year unless they decided to link all their studios together ala Assassins Creed.

That was kinda the point I was trying to make, but I guess it came across differently.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I hope they make a WWE game for the Vita. Last year was a missed opportunity. I want some fuckin' cross-play WWE action!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

strauss is a smart man,

also i really hope they let firaxis port xcom to vita.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

And it (usually) shows. Although, maybe DNF took the idea of taking things slowly to a bit of an extreme...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

My cousin worked on the tools for NBA2K13 but it sounded like 2k gave them the time and space they needed.