#1 Posted by Heimdal (58 posts) -

Just wondering how many of you out there take breaks from video games. Do you find it hard to go back to ones you paused? I'm playing Resonance of Fate at the same time I'm playing the Witcher 2, and I've hit a wall with Resonance, thinking it's time to leave it for a bit. What do you guys do?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

Power through it, you're almost done.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Resonance of Fate is not a very compelling game, its funny, and it is interesting, but there is nothing to propel you forward.

#4 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

I took a break from Uncharted the first time I played it. Didn't touch it until Uncharted 2 came out, which I finished in a day. Turns out I was only about 15-20 minutes away from the ending. That's a rare case, usually it's hard to jump back into a game. I think I've played the first 10 hours of Persona 3 about 4 times.

#5 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

I'm trying to be the top racer for Michigan in Trackmania 2, yeah, i might want to take a break seeming I am only 21st and I've been playing constantly since February.

#6 Posted by Sharpless (442 posts) -

I've taken a break from console gaming, at the very least. I got a half-decent laptop recently, so I've been tapping into my Steam account much more often. I've definitely gone through periods of not playing anything at all, though. It usually depends on how busy I am in general.

#7 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

I've hit a couple of walls with games, most notably Neverwinter Nights 2 around the Crossroad Keep (this time I'll fucking play the entire game if it kills me). But the time where i can't play any game whatsoever is the more common one. Then i just do other shit.

#8 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I've taken breaks from playing a few times a  year but I always finish the game I'm on first.  Good reason why I only play one game at a time.  Never know when you'll hit that wall.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Take a month off. Realize how amazing [old game you played once and didn't absorb completely] was, replay it, enjoy it and feel re-inspired.

#10 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

Usually I take actual breaks from just gaming. I stopped playing my PS3 for a while and just used it for netflix. I just finished Batman Arkham City after a 4 month hiatus from it.

#11 Posted by satch919 (43 posts) -

I've taken a break from Skyrim for a long time now. I just got to a point where it all felt so overwhelming and I didn't even want to bother with the story or another f'ing dungeon. I'm 74 hours in. I'm sure I'll get back into it at some point.

#12 Posted by mustachioeugene (483 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: I can't increase my rankings much more these days, and I haven't played in sometime now, which means competition is just getting better while I'm stagnant.

Maybe I'll just find the weakest state, move there and start over. Seems reasonable, no?

#13 Posted by Ben_H (3200 posts) -

I'm getting to that point with SC2 right now. I didn't play for a month because of finals and now I'm so rusty that I'm getting dominated in every game.  I might just not play for this season and either quit for a bit or just play customs until I'm not terrible again.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (3950 posts) -

I take a break from games sometimes. I think FFX and FF12, Metroid Prime 2, Halo 2, and more recently Darksiders all come to mind as games I took a break from for various reasons.

How hard it is to jump back in to one I left off depends on the game itself. After leaving of FF12 for instance was very intimidating to get back into, because I left off at a part that was a bit hard, and the mechanics of that game were so unique to it that it took me years to pick it back up and finish it off even though I fucking loved that game. Metroid Prime 2 was also intimidating so I just decided to restart rather than try to pick up where I left off. Halo on the other hand, was no problem, after I remembered where the grenade button was. Still haven't gotten back to Darksiders yet...

#15 Posted by Sanryd (1361 posts) -

To each his own, but Resonance of Fate made me want to dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

#16 Posted by Omega (817 posts) -

I take breaks from a lot of games. Mostly JRPG's because they are so friggin long. I just finished Persona 3 a few weeks ago after having stopped playing for a year, and finished Skyward sword a few days ago after not playing since it was released. The main reason I stop playing a game isn't quality necessarily, though Skyward Sword's motion controls can fuck right off. There are new games coming out every week and I can't just stick with one until completion otherwise I'll miss and forget about the ones that came out while I was playing said game. I'm happy that games are shorter these days. That means I can finish them up in 2 or 3 days and have 3 or 4 days to go back and play the ones I've shelved.

#17 Posted by kindgineer (2485 posts) -

I have a new daughter (7-months) so I take breaks a lot :P

#18 Posted by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Eh, if I don't want to play a game anymore I stop playing it. If I feel like playing it again (usually many months or years later) I just start over.

#19 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

I just play games when I want to play games.

#20 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@mustachioeugene: Yeah, lets pack up to alaska. Wait, maybe they're all staying indoors playing trackmania 2 because its so damn bear-y outside. Well, where is the weakest state? I must know.

#21 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

If I take a break from a game there is a very strong chance that I won't return to it. That's just the way it is for me.

#22 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I go through phases where I just don't feel like playing anything, but I find that usually someone has to kick start it....

My 360 died a couple of months ago just as I was starting something new, and that's when that feeling struck me. I could have just switched to my PC or PS3 and played something else or get the Xbox fixed/replaced, but I didn't feel an urge to do either, instead I opted to 'take a break'.

I haven't played a thing in ages.

#23 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I took a 6 month break from Mass Effect 2 and didn't pick it up again until ME3 came out. Now I'm kind of stuck in the same place with ME3. There are a lot of choices to make in the game where I am, and my real life has gotten so busy that I don't have any desire to keep going right now. I pretty much just put in any mindless shooter I can find for now, but I'll get back to it eventually.

#24 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I take breaks from games all the time. Some I finish and some I don't. I took a month away from Skyward Sword because I bought Deus Ex. I then took a break from that game to finish Skyward Sword. I also bought the Witcher 2 last year for the PC, but couldn't find myself engaged with it. I bought the 360 version and can't put it down.

#25 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

I thought this would be another "my girlfriend told me we're on break, what does it mean?" thread.

#26 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (327 posts) -

I generally try to finish one game at a time especially if they are story driven. If i'm bored with a game, I'll stop and either forget about it or start it over again at a different time. It all depends on the type of game for me.

#27 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

@JantShira: I'd be careful. Resonance is not an easy game to come back to especially when you're in the latter parts of it and haven't played in months.

#28 Posted by tourgen (4229 posts) -

@JantShira: I sell them thru craigslist or swap with a friend when I don't feel like playing them anymore.

#29 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i'm thinking about taking one. i've been playing a lot of games lately. who knows.

#30 Posted by Stonyman65 (2405 posts) -

It really depends on the game. If it is interesting and fun, I'll go through it and only pause or take a break to sleep or do something important.

On the other hand, if the game is sp-so or just not interesting, I'll take a break and might not get around to it for a while, if ever again. case in point: Singularity. Bought it used or $15, played about the first hour of it and then moved on to something else. Haven't went back in over a year now.

#31 Posted by Fattony12000 (6351 posts) -

I've been taking a break from Dead or Alive 4 since 2006.

#32 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

i take a break from too many games... if i get stuck or don't feel compelled to play i just leave the games alone. i usually start playing after a few months of break.

#33 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

I make it a point to never play then 1 game at a time unless the 2nd game isn't super duper story driven like for instance i am playing Skyrim/L.A Noire and i play a case of L.A noire every other day while powering through Skyrim.

If i play more then 1 heavy story game i will get lost within a week and it's why i haven't even bothered with Witcher 2 yet, i got through the tutorial and said fuck it i will wait till MP3 coems out and i burn through that in 1-2 days then play Witcher2/Diablo3.

#34 Posted by Tidel (356 posts) -

I've been playing Dark Souls for seven months. It's the only game I can take breaks from and come back without feeling like I've lost anything, except my sense of self worth.

#35 Posted by criacow (46 posts) -

Depends on the game for me. I've been playing Dark Souls for months; I play for a while, and then I play something else, then come back to it.

Most games I tend to just plow through one at a time, though.

#36 Posted by Heimdal (58 posts) -

Yeah I have a hard time sticking to one game at a time, so I end up with a few on the go. I've left a few and not gone back, like Nier and Catherine. But I think I'll go back to Resonance eventually. For now The Witcher 2 is pretty awesome.

#37 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Man it's a video game. Play whatever you feel like playing it really is not a big deal at all.

#38 Posted by Slag (3339 posts) -

@JantShira said:

Just wondering how many of you out there take breaks from video games. Do you find it hard to go back to ones you paused?

Yeah I get burnt out when I go marathoning or grinding too much. After I finish my current burn I'll probably take a couple weeks off from gaming.

Do you find it hard to go back to ones you paused?

yup extremely, I tend to be an all or none guy. If I don't pound my way completely through a game every day when I'm in the zone, I'll usually just stop and never go back. I've gotten better about this as I've gotten older.

What do you guys do?

I wouldn't reccommend anyone do what I do (sleep less, skip meals if need be until I finish).

#39 Posted by hawkinson76 (340 posts) -

when I was a teen, I played every action game on hard, and 100 percented every adventure game.

In my 20's I played fewer games, but I still finished most. At some point I turned the difficulty down. And then there was some tactics game that kicked my ass, and I quit.

In my 30's I play more games, since I had more money, but I finished few, because I have less time.

As I approach 40, I am being more careful about what I buy, and am more realistic about what I will enjoy/finish.

You don't owe a game you buy anything. If you no longer enjoy it, uninstall it/give it away/sell it back.

#40 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Arkham City is still gathering dust in my PS3.

#41 Posted by HadesTimes (793 posts) -

Most of the time if I take a break from a game there is a reason. Like it sux or perhaps I'm just not in the mood for that sort of thing right now. But the problem is when I take said break, I almost never go back to it. So my advice is to power through. It would be better to not have fun for a couple of hours than to not finish the game at all.