Tax returns to burn

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Well, it's tax time here in the U.S., and people are getting back some "free" money from the government! For the first time in years I'll get to spend a portion of it on things I like.

Currently, my cart is filled with:

- Super Mario 3D World

- Earth Defense Force 2025

- Lords of Shadow 2

- Infamous: Second Son

Anyone else pulling the trigger on a huge pile of games because of tax season? Or are you finally picking up one of the new consoles? Turns out getting to spend it on games is damn fine.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Well, I was thinking about picking up a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro with my tax return. I was interested in a good tablet for graphic novels and possibly creating some art, so I'm waiting on reviews for that baby. That still leaves me with around $500 to spend (or save if you're lame). I was originally thinking I'd have to skip some games in March, but now that you've reminded me that I'll have this money, maybe I'll just buy everything!

- Thief

- South Park: The Stick of Truth

- Dark Souls II

- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD

- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Shit is going off between now and the end of March.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bybeach

Perhaps a console!

Be just enough I bet.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Buying a Rav4

Will be my wife and I's first new car

I always have money leftover from every paycheck I could spend on games, so might as well spend the lump sum of taxes on something I need

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I payed rent.

It was fun.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I owe about ten thousand dollars, I don't think I'll be getting much with that. Been looking for a PS4 though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: Oh god, you just reminded me of three more games I may have to pick up (South Park, Dark Souls, MGS). I was gonna buy a condo but maybe that could wait an extra month.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@csl316 said:

Well, it's tax time here in the U.S., and people are getting back some "free" money from the government! For the first time in years I'll get to spend a portion of it on things I like.

Currently, my cart is filled with:

- Super Mario 3D World

- Earth Defense Force 2025

- Lords of Shadow 2

Anyone else pulling the trigger on a huge pile of games because of tax season? Or are you finally picking up one of the new consoles? Turns out getting to spend it on games is damn fine.

Mine is Final Fantasy X HD collectors edition and Titanfall. I also might get an Xbox One

Ancient_Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blew a good chunk of it on some diamond earrings as an anniversary gift.

The rest I'm planning on holding on to but the Wii U keeps creeping up in my mind as a reckless spending option.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ancient_gray: The Wii U was my reckless spending option last month (the 3 games for $270 Newegg deal finally pushed me over). So far, so good. I like it a lot but it won't change your life, so keep that in mind.

Ancient_Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ancient_Gray

I just traded in some games and got around $100 in-store credit at GameStop so I'm keeping it in mind but I'm trying to hold off for a potential price drop or sale. I'll probably just end up getting Thief before I make my mind up.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking at getting about $6,500 ($4,000 Fed, $2,500 California). One of these days I'll figure out the proper W4 numbers.

I keep thinking of ideas to do with it and to be honest, this time around there really isn't anything that excites me. I'll probably just end up keeping it in the bank since that's where it should have been the whole time. Perhaps I'll buy a tankless water-heater. What the hell has happened to me?

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb:

If you like hot water, don't go tankless.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb:

If you like hot water, don't go tankless.

I always thought it depended on where you lived and if you had the unit outside (not in the garage) or not. Figured anything with 180,000 BTUs could heat water pretty well in the winter time and if it was in the garage. The one closet it could have went in inside the house has a new furnace. My problem is that I only have a 30 gallon tank and either way I think I will be replacing it sooner than later with either a larger tank or tankless. What's your experience with the tankless?

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maginnovision

@tycobb:

I had one in another house, and constantly had problems. Basically, if you only have 1 hot water activity going at a time, you MIGHT be ok. I have a 50 gallon gas water heater in my house now and I'm so happy to be rid of the lousy tankless system. I hadn't used a proper water heater a while before-hand. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/water-heaters/tankless-water-heaters/overview/tankless-water-heaters-ov.htm lists some of the primary issues. Old article, but from my experience, still stands. Mine was a heater from 2011. My main issue really was that I didn't want to worry about not having hot water when I could easily fix the issue for good. Do plenty of research before you decide though. If you don't end up liking it it'll be an endless frustration or a waste of money. Oh, I live in southern California by the way. There it was in the garage also, could have been a factor.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free money? Sigh... In my tax bracket I had to pay. Nearly half a months wages. Oh the perils of making too much money.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowskill11:

Free money? Interest free loan to the government is only free money for them.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TyCobb

@maginnovision: Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll just stick with my current 30 gal until next winter. Currently it seems I only have enough hot water for maybe 15 minutes worth of showers. Seems like even less the colder it is.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I need a vehicle so any money I get back will go towards that. If it's not enough to buy something then I will just keep it around as bill payment money for a month or two. Boring poor adult stuff.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not for sure if I can get Tax Returns yet, since I've only been working at my job for 4 months. Then again I don't really know how to go about doing it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This is what I plan to get:

• Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Done)
  • Dark Souls II
  • Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
  • Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd

So much game. Really looking forward to getting my hands on more Project Diva. They are re-making some of the older songs in this one which is cool since I never played the older games in the series.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Nope, saving money. I'll buy Dark Souls 2 but I would have bought that anyway. The idea of blowing all of that extra cash immediately is absurd. I know that's how the US economy is supposed to work (i.e. because of stupid people), but it still makes no sense.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Last year I got a Wii U and that worked out oh so well for me...

I think this year I'll be more responsible and put it all to credit card debt, though maybe I'll get Bravely Default too.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PatODay

I bought myself an Xbox One, and had enough left over for a really nice Valentines present for my girlfriend. I made the decision last year to wait for tax returns before I bought a new console, and Titanfall tipped the scales towards XBox for me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: It is absurd, I'm stashing most of it away because saving for a rainy day is always my first instinct.

Planned on getting Infamous and Lords of Shadow. Mario and EDF are my bonus.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Good for you, though not buying Dark Souls 2 is bad for you, especially considering you recognize the magnificence of Vagrant Story. I remember my Mom bought GTA 2 for me (14-15 years ago?) because of tax season; ignoring that it was M rated for some reason. Played that game a lot.

The problem with buying something is I have PS+ so that's like 3 games a month to go through in addition to stuff I already play. PS4 isn't happening for a few years most likely; since the games will probably be passably mediocre at best.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spoonman671

@csl316 said:

@ancient_gray: The Wii U was my reckless spending option last month (the 3 games for $270 Newegg deal finally pushed me over). So far, so good. I like it a lot but it won't change your life, so keep that in mind.

I got the same deal and traded in Ninja Gaiden 3 and Wonderful 101. I enjoyed Wind Waker, but overall what I realized was that Wind Waker is definitely not my favorite Zelda game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By csl316

@fredchuckdave: My buddies will harass me til I buy DS2. And man... I should probably play Dark Souls 2.

@spoonman671: You know, Wonderful 101 was actually the reason I got it. I'm a big Platinum dork and they didn't disappoint. Little interest in Ninja Gaiden and some interest in Wind Waker since I went through Link to the Past. But at the very least it's nice to know I can buy new Nintendo console games again.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I've been wanting to buy a Vita for some time, just want the AC Liberation bundle sale of 2 calendar years ago to recur.

Ancient_Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been wanting to buy a Vita for some time, just want the AC Liberation bundle sale of 2 calendar years ago to recur.

It really is a phenomenal handheld. Lots of great games and the design is amazing. Get Tearaway when you buy it. That game is incredible.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With my tax money I'm going to get my wisdom teeth removed. That way, I don't die from an infection spreading from my rotting teeth to my brain.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave said:

It really is a phenomenal handheld. Lots of great games and the design is amazing. Get Tearaway when you buy it. That game is incredible.

It's excellent. Got my Vita last year, and I spend more time sitting in my room playing Spelunky than I really should. All my other stuff is down in the cold basement while I'm under a blanket jumping into spikes.

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TriBeard

I'm going to hang on to my couple hundred bucks, and turn my upgrade to a 4770k into a 4930k. I've always wanted a 6 core processor, and haswell E sounds like it's going to be really expensive, at least at launch, and I don't want to wait that long.

As far as games go, there isn't a whole lot out that interests me. Thief looks like it could be interesting, and I'm excited for the Witcher 3, but that's about it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably finally building a PC when I get mine.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trip to the UK with the Girlfriend. Might get myself the new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4inch as well (pending how much I get back, if anything....)

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By j0lter

I gobbled up a bunch of vita games like Muramasa and some old ps1 games. Also preordered thief.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j0lter: Muramasa is fantastic.

And apparently DK: Tropical Freeze is the best game of the year. Dammit, this hobby...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Dark Souls 2 is obviously the yet to be released game of the year, thank you very much.

On that note I did buy DKC Returns for my Wii-owning sister and have played it with her off and on for a few months; pretty fun game. Still want more Metroid Prime.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earmarked for a set of coilovers.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm saving the vast majority of it. I did buy and install a 212 Evo CPU cooler this weekend for my PC and overclocked my 2500k to 4.0 GHz (for now, probably push it higher soon). I may buy a GTX 770 as an upgrade over my 560 Ti in the next couple months (though it's equally likely I'll wait for the 800 series to come out, then get one of those or a 770 for cheaper).

Other than that, I'll be getting Ground Zeroes and probably Titanfall next month, though I'd be getting them anyway, tax return or not.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

My whole tax return is basically going towards visiting my girlfriend in the UK and then our trip to Rome. None left over for video games, but it's worth it.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King Size Mattress

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope I get enough back to get some games and maybe a ps4.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is all going into the bank. My backlog is too big to be buying new games..........might buy a XboxOne and Titanfall. Have South Park and Second Son preordered.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@brutushayesosu: Now that's an investment I approve of. My first major purchase for myself as an adult was a nice bed and mattress, and it's easily the best money I've ever spent.