• 107 results
#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

We all love gaming marathons right, you know the kind of day you don't feel like doing anything other than playing your new favourite game. Well this teenager took it a little hard and played Modern Warfare 3 for 4 days straight, he only left the room to get snacks and use the bathroom. He collapsed multiple times and was taken into hospital because he was so dehydrated, he is now out and all better but here is the thing that bugs me.

The mother blames the Xbox and has now got rid of it.

Sorry, I'm not sure I heard that right mother, you think the Xbox is to blame. Was it not you that let your 15 year old spend 4 days playing video games straight? He is also 15, as the mother should you not have told him to stop playing. Or I don't know make sure he is drinking water? But not to be all one sided, that kid is pretty stupid to not have been drinking water.

Is it the kids fault or the mothers?

Source - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/teen-hospitalized-with-dehydration-after-4-day-xbox-marathon/1#.UCX-W45SFug

#2 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

to be fair the xbox was a factor and that kid probably shouldn't use it if he's willing to play it non stop for 4 days.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Animasta said:

to be fair the xbox was a factor and that kid probably shouldn't use it if he's willing to play it non stop for 4 days.

So this kid was addicted to his Xbox, that is clear, but like any other addiction cold turkey is not the best way.

#4 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Tis ture, with low power and terrible dashboards comes great responsibility.

#5 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Kid is an Idiot, mother is bigger idiot.

#6 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

People blame objects or possessions but they dont like taking responsibility for what happened.  And why isnt he outside..... 

#7 Posted by s10129107 (1184 posts) -

Is it me or is this the second of these stories in the last month or two. It seems like videogame addiction is becoming a growing problem.

#8 Posted by Andorski (5343 posts) -

Who/What else is the mother going to blame? Herself? That's just crazy talk.

#9 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1380 posts) -

How can you be so stupid as to get that badly dehydrated? Playing that long and ignoring passing out is one thing, but how hard is it to grab a glass of water now and then? This is natures way of telling us that this kid isn't cut out for this world.

#10 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

You never have any good news, Hizang!

#11 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Couldn't have said it better. Anyway, I don't understand how anybody can play MW3 for 4 consecutive days, doesn't the kid get bored?

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Both the kid and the mother are idiots. If the kid plays any game for four days straight without bothering to hydrate, he's got problems, but so does the mother for not recognizing that holy shit, her son is endangering himself by paying more attention to a video game than his basic needs.

#13 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (625 posts) -

both are idiots. when you ignore/forget basic life functions as drinking fluids, hell soda would have been sufficient enough although, then you need to get your priorities straight. then again if you're a mom that doesn't check on him when he shuts himself in his room for 4 days then you might need to reevaluate your parenting skills.

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7526 posts) -

Seems bad.

#15 Posted by BaconGames (3487 posts) -

Taking away the console is only treating the symptom and taking away something of great sentimental value and worth to the kid. I think the lesson should be: here's a jug of water and don't be an idiot.

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

Survival of the fittest, or something like that.

His mom didn't even tell him to go shower?

#17 Posted by chrissedoff (2152 posts) -

If this kid can't resist playing Xbox all day every day, then getting rid of it is the most responsible action his parents could take.

#18 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

News story featuring a hobby has hobbyists up in arms.

More at 11

#19 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -

Right, so he left his room to have a shower, get snacks and use the bathroom but forgot to drink anything. So he was completely addicted to his XBOX apart from when he needed to do something else.....what a load of bollocks this story is.

#20 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

Is it me or is this the second of these stories in the last month or two. It seems like videogame addiction is becoming a growing problem.

Wow. You are really good at statistics.

#21 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Hizang: Blaming the box is bad, but taking it away was the right thing to do.

@leebmx: Yeah, my thought exactly. Sounds like the kid was just an idiot. Who the hell gets dehydrated sitting around the house. A deployed service member in Afghanistan would have a harder time getting dehydrated in any meaningful way.

Although to be fair, most people don't drink enough. So maybe it isn't THAT surprising. Still...

#22 Posted by CJduke (794 posts) -

The mother is clearly the bigger idiot of the two. First of all, the kid is 15 so she is still responsible for him. As his parent it is her job to make sure her kid is not playing a video game for 4 days straight. Also, she should recognize that her kid is clearly addicted to video games and possibly has some kind of mental health issue and rather than just getting rid of the xbox, she should be getting him the help he needs. Once again, bad parent using video games as an excuse for why their kids did something shitty.

#23 Posted by Dethfish (3686 posts) -

I agree that they're both idiots for letting this happen, but I think the kid is the bigger moron. I'm sure the mom thought her 15 year old kid knew how to keep himself hydrated. The mom is still a little crazy though if she's blaming this entirely on a video game console. Besides, I think we all know who is really to blame for all this...

I'm looking at you MW3. You let people prestige so they keep playing! You don't want them to leave, ever. Well...at least not until November.

#24 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

How the heck do you get dehydrated in your very own house.

#25 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I'm an asshole for saying this, but he deserved it.

#26 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

Yeah with happened in my state, Ohio. You'd understand how she came to the conclusion that it was the Xbox's fault if you saw this family. They are complete white trash hicks living in a dumpy mobile home.

#27 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

To stay awake he probably quenched his thirst with a caffeinated beverage, which is a diuretic and what not.

#28 Edited by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

.....................................................How did he play MW3 for so long? How could he not have changed games?

#29 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

.....................................................How did he play MW3 for so long? How could he not have changed games?

I'm pretty sure the game is only 4 hours long, too. Something doesn't add up right in the mathematics here...

#30 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

#31 Posted by The_Infamous_C4 (90 posts) -

I've had exhaustion sickness before (not gaming or tech related) and it was a horrible experience. that said not hydrating is stupidity.

#32 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I'm an asshole for saying this, but he deserved it.

Seconded.

#33 Posted by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

Well, at least he didn't die. All this proves is the American idiots are just as dumb as Chinese idiots.

#34 Posted by Korolev (1714 posts) -

Taking away the Xbox was a good idea.

No, I am not saying that an Xbox is like Crack... for most people. You know how some can handle their alcohol, and some can't? Video games are a lot like that. Some, or indeed, most, people can handle video games and restrict their playing time to a reasonable 2 or 3 hours a day (and even that's getting a bit much if you're over 18 with responsibilities). Others can't handle their play time and become hopelessly addicted to games.

It's ludicrous to say that video games can never, EVER be addictive - they quite clearly can. Just about any activity that generates pleasure in your Ventral Tegmental Area of your brain (dopaminergic pathways) is potentially addictive. Video games can be addictive to some people, and those people, sadly, need to go cold turkey to get over their addiction.

You can't really blame solely the Mother for this guy's dehydration - if you can't stop playing a video game to GET WATER, then there is something quite seriously wrong with you, and honestly, if I were this kid's mother, I wouldn't have thought he would become so addicted that he would stop drinking fluids. That's just nuts.

No, I am not saying that video game addiction is some sort of terrible scourge upon humanity. It's barely a problem for the vast majority of gamers. But there will always be someone who gets really addicted to games psychologically, to the point where their health is at risk. These people need to stop playing. But it's a rare problem. Most of us don't get addicted to games, or at least, not so addicted that we literally risk dying of dehydration.

#35 Edited by CaLe (4020 posts) -

Reminds me of my WoW days where I literally woke up and played until I was too tired, only taking breaks to use the bathroom or grab something to eat. Luckily I burned out on the game, rather than collapsing. I did collapse in assembly once though, right into the school bully who stopped me from hitting the ground and never bullied me again. I showed him!

#36 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Soulreaverm said:

@s10129107 said:

Wow. You are really good at statistics.

I laughed harder than I should at this, ha!

I think its the parent's fault mostly though.
If you are able to let your kid play this much for so long you obviously have things more important than children going on in your life.
No wait, children are supposed to be the most important thing in your life.
#37 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

What an amazing mother. How do you not notice your kid is playing Xbox for 4 days straight without ever coming out to eat anything or drink anything?

#38 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Doctors should have let nature run its course to remove him from the gene pool.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

I see no problem with her logic. Clearly, the Xbox is to blame here. I think that we can even extrapolate further and apply her logic to any situation. Makes perfect sense in all cases:

Mother gives son a car. Son drives the car. Son runs over someone, kills someone. The car is to blame.

#40 Posted by Nilhelm (28 posts) -

You can like take a noob to like water, but you can't like make a noob drink y'know.

#41 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (379 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Short, eloquent and spot on. :)

#42 Posted by DonutFever (3554 posts) -

Kid is idiot. Mother is idiot. Xbox being taken away is probably smart, but won't stop him from doing something else equally dumb.

#43 Posted by IBurningStar (2187 posts) -

The kid is stupid and the mother is oblivious. Self preservation was so unimportant to this kid that he dehydrated himself in his own house. If he had died I don't think anyone would have had any problem with giving him a Darwin award.

#44 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

dammit i got toped I've only done 3 days then again I'm smart enough to drink some god dam water

#45 Posted by Pezen (1634 posts) -

I can't really blame the mother for her kid being a complete moron. But taking it away seems like a good idea.

#46 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

If your child is that stupid at 15, I think your failure as a parent runs deeper than merely not noticing what was happening.

#47 Posted by CookieMonster (2423 posts) -

Did he get to prestige though?

#48 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

Parents are 100% to blame.

If you kid is that addicted to Xbox you need to act and not fucking ignore him for four whole days!

#49 Edited by FritzDude (2266 posts) -

That's a lot of Modern Warfare 3.

#50 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Pezen
I can't really blame the mother for her kid being a complete moron. But taking it away seems like a good idea.
How can we not blame the mother? Her son is 15 and she didn't notice that he hadn't left his room for 4 days. This means she wasn't feeding him, she wasn't making him go to bed, she didn't care he was playing a game for 4 days straight.