TEG's E3 Expo Preview Part 1: Microsoft!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

TEG'S E3 ELECTRONIC ENTERTAINMENT EXPO PREVIEW!

PART 1: MICROSOFT!

Part 1: Microsoft!
The E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo is a golden event, much loved by those involved in this wonderful industry. For some years now, it's been the main event on the videogame calender and is the source of all sorts of talk and rumour. While it's an event which as had it's up's and down's over the past few years, it's never left the hearts of gamers around the World and probably never will.This years E3 will hopefully see a return to form and while it's trying to reproduce the hectic often disorganized bedlam of old, the organisers are hoping for it to be a memorable event. With just a week or so to go, it's clear that already E3 2009 could be a special event indeed. 

So this is why I wanted to have my thoughts on this wonderful time for all gamers around the globe. As a dedicated gamer, I throughally enjoy all aspects found within the working mechanics of the industry. The odd tactics taken to get the upper hand on competition, the often weird experiences of E3 itself and of course those unforgettable press conferences all gamers watch with eager eyes. Now last years E3 never truly got started and was rather bland compared to past years, but when one considers that it was a rather carm year for for videogaming itself (despite Nintendo's continued rise), it was no surprise that we weren't blown away. My actual memories of E3 2008, were the fantastic Bombcasts from Giantbomb and a number of big named franchises becoming multiplatform. 

So what of E3 2009, well to begin my first preview. I wanted to take a seperate look at the three big console kings and discuss just what they could bring to the table for dedicated fans to chew over. Now I've said this many times, but I owe no loyalty to any specific console. So when thinking about the first videogame giants to start with, I thought it only best to begin with the current leaders of the hardcore videogame war, those American money-making men and women at Microsoft. 

MICROSOFT, SLOW DECLINE OF IT'S DOMINANCE?

Even the most deluded Sony fanboy or fangirl, cannot deny the recent domination of Microsoft's Xbox 360 console. While that domination is starting to show signs slight signs of collapsing, it's still the better value of the two hardcore offerings with a much better catalogue of games. But this could potentially be another big year for Microsoft and the Xbox 360, so what might we expect to see when Microsoft kicks off it's press conference with eager media eyes and gamers around the World tuning in for the latest news and reveals. 

Well let's get one thing out of the way, we can expect some Halo. Now while I've personally lost interest in the Halo franchise as a whole, it's still beloved by millions of fans and deserves that loyalty. We already know that we'll see some Halo: ODST and that alone might interest me more then a potential Halo 4. We still haven't seen any true footage of ODST, and it's clear from reading forums around the web that this latest Bungie title/expansion is eagerly anticipated. So while it's no great surprise to hear of a new Halo entry being shown at E3, there could be some surprises in the form of a new motion detecting camera rumoured to be announced. 

Now it's worth stating that a rumour very much like this, in the form of the much discussed motion controller. Had been expected to be announced at last years E3 Expo, the talk on the town was that Microsoft cancelled it's unveiling late on. Can't blame them, the thought of the Xbox 360 getting a motion controller made me slightly sick. But recently a motion controlled camera developed by 3DV as been rumoured and discussed to some degree by the gaming media. This new camera will apparently follow the same functionality at Sony's EyeToy and we all know how well that went for Sony. So both myself and many other gamers are yet to be convinced that the 360 needs another camera.

Doesn't this look ever so relaxing.
But we have yet to officially see it announced, it as only been rumoured though sources. Though those sources do seem rather strong. So I think it can be expected, that a reveal will be made in the Microsoft press conference this coming E3. While it's another clear sign that the American giants of technology are trying to tap into the Wii audience, this new camera doesn't feel as desperate as a motion controller would have been. So I'm keeping my full judgement on it, until I finally see it in actual action. It's clear from reading comments on media articles concerning the camera, that Microsoft will have to do a lot to win hardcore fans over. Especially when one looks at Sony's EyeToy for example. 

GAMES ANYONE?

So while the videogame media as been debating this new camera, as expected. Most Xbox 360 owners have been discussing what's next in the form of videogames for this ever popular gaming console. Well as I said previously, Halo ODST is expected to be shown at the event. Plus Forza Motorsport 3 is also expected to be revealed, but there could also be some surprises to get excited about to. For example a Crackdown 2 as been long rumoured now, and there is a very possible chance that that might just make an appearance. Of course we should not forget Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Convinction, Mass Effect 2 and a number of other highly anticipated titles.

Peter Molyneux's new game as also been hinted at, who knows what Peter could be developing or if it will be shown at E3. Not to forget the long and now rather dull rumours concerning a Metal Gear game appearing on the Xbox 360 console. Now while at one point I would have seen this as being a possible move for Kojima Productions, I'm now not to convinced we will ever see a Metal Gear game on the 360. But that's not to say we won't see a developed game from Hideo Kojima himself appearing on the console in years, months maybe even weeks to come. You simply never know. 

Could Hideo Kojima's next game be on the Xbox 360?
New downloadable content also seems very possible. Rockstar have hinted at the first details of GTA4 Episode 2 being announced and we already know that Epic are bringing more Gears of War 2 DLC to the table, surely we'll see some of that at E3. Bethesda could also reveal the first of the two new pieces of Fallout 3 DLC, one being the recently reported Lookout Point. There will no doubt be more downloadable content from a number of different games, I'm hoping forward to hearing some news on potential new albums hitting Rock Band 2 to go along with my eagerness for the new piece of GTA4 DLC. Every gamer is looking for something different, and E3 usually does surprise you in the weirdest of ways. 

WHAT ELSE!

What else can we expect Microsoft to bring at the E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009. Well the avatar loving 1 vs 100 could be discussed in greater detail by Microsoft, there are still many questions to be answered concerning this free downloable game and a general improvement to avatars as a whole is very much a possibility. Being European, I'd love to either hear of some new services hitting European Xbox Live or a price drop to gold membership considering we don't get some of the features other parts of the World get. But Microsoft being American, and this taking place in the US. Well lets just say I don't expect much.

Microsoft are keeping their cards close to their chests right now. No reveals are expected until E3 itself and there highly anticipated press conference. Discussions and debates will continue until then, and I personally am looking forward to see what they can deliver. Especially when one looks at the potential offerings of Sony this year, who could have one of their biggest E3's yet if talk is to be believed. Me personally, well it's all about Assassins Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2. Those are the two main games that have me excited the most when E3 launches at the start of June and who knows, we mught see some totally brand new ip's to get us all excited.

This years E3 could go one of two ways for Microsoft, while it could generally be seen as a turning point for Sony. I can't help but think it's Microsoft who potentially need to bring some heavy hitters to this years event in Los Angeles, California. They need to continually been seen as the leaders of this generations hardcore gamers, and while I don't see motion controlled cameras having a big effect on gamers like myself. I'd still be rather interested to see how it works and how it's going to affect the way I see and play videogames. If it's anything like the Nintendo Wii Motion Controller, it'll probably have no affect on my gaming habits what so ever. But with the E3 Electronics Entertainment Expo, you simply can never know!

What do you think we'll see from Microsoft at E3 2009?
Check back for Part 2: Sony.

Thanks for Reading, 
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

TEG'S E3 ELECTRONIC ENTERTAINMENT EXPO PREVIEW!

PART 1: MICROSOFT!

The E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo is a golden event, much loved by those involved in this wonderful industry. For some years now, it's been the main event on the videogame calender and is the source of all sorts of talk and rumour. While it's an event which as had it's up's and down's over the past few years, it's never left the hearts of gamers around the World and probably never will.This years E3 will hopefully see a return to form and while it's trying to reproduce the hectic often disorganized bedlam of old, the organisers are hoping for it to be a memorable event. With just a week or so to go, it's clear that already E3 2009 could be a special event indeed. 

So this is why I wanted to have my thoughts on this wonderful time for all gamers around the globe. As a dedicated gamer, I throughally enjoy all aspects found within the working mechanics of the industry. The odd tactics taken to get the upper hand on competition, the often weird experiences of E3 itself and of course those unforgettable press conferences all gamers watch with eager eyes. Now last years E3 never truly got started and was rather bland compared to past years, but when one considers that it was a rather carm year for for videogaming itself (despite Nintendo's continued rise), it was no surprise that we weren't blown away. My actual memories of E3 2008, were the fantastic Bombcasts from Giantbomb and a number of big named franchises becoming multiplatform. 

So what of E3 2009, well to begin my first preview. I wanted to take a seperate look at the three big console kings and discuss just what they could bring to the table for dedicated fans to chew over. Now I've said this many times, but I owe no loyalty to any specific console. So when thinking about the first videogame giants to start with, I thought it only best to begin with the current leaders of the hardcore videogame war, those American money-making men and women at Microsoft. 

MICROSOFT, SLOW DECLINE OF IT'S DOMINANCE?

Even the most deluded Sony fanboy or fangirl, cannot deny the recent domination of Microsoft's Xbox 360 console. While that domination is starting to show signs slight signs of collapsing, it's still the better value of the two hardcore offerings with a much better catalogue of games. But this could potentially be another big year for Microsoft and the Xbox 360, so what might we expect to see when Microsoft kicks off it's press conference with eager media eyes and gamers around the World tuning in for the latest news and reveals. 

Well let's get one thing out of the way, we can expect some Halo. Now while I've personally lost interest in the Halo franchise as a whole, it's still beloved by millions of fans and deserves that loyalty. We already know that we'll see some Halo: ODST and that alone might interest me more then a potential Halo 4. We still haven't seen any true footage of ODST, and it's clear from reading forums around the web that this latest Bungie title/expansion is eagerly anticipated. So while it's no great surprise to hear of a new Halo entry being shown at E3, there could be some surprises in the form of a new motion detecting camera rumoured to be announced. 

Now it's worth stating that a rumour very much like this, in the form of the much discussed motion controller. Had been expected to be announced at last years E3 Expo, the talk on the town was that Microsoft cancelled it's unveiling late on. Can't blame them, the thought of the Xbox 360 getting a motion controller made me slightly sick. But recently a motion controlled camera developed by 3DV as been rumoured and discussed to some degree by the gaming media. This new camera will apparently follow the same functionality at Sony's EyeToy and we all know how well that went for Sony. So both myself and many other gamers are yet to be convinced that the 360 needs another camera.

But we have yet to officially see it announced, it as only been rumoured though sources. Though those sources do seem rather strong. So I think it can be expected, that a reveal will be made in the Microsoft press conference this coming E3. While it's another clear sign that the American giants of technology are trying to tap into the Wii audience, this new camera doesn't feel as desperate as a motion controller would have been. So I'm keeping my full judgement on it, until I finally see it in actual action. It's clear from reading comments on media articles concerning the camera, that Microsoft will have to do a lot to win hardcore fans over. Especially when one looks at Sony's EyeToy for example. 

GAMES ANYONE?

So while the videogame media as been debating this new camera, as expected. Most Xbox 360 owners have been discussing what's next in the form of videogames for this ever popular gaming console. Well as I said previously, Halo ODST is expected to be shown at the event. Plus Forza Motorsport 3 is also expected to be revealed, but there could also be some surprises to get excited about to. For example a Crackdown 2 as been long rumoured now, and there is a very possible chance that that might just make an appearance. Of course we should not forget Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Convinction, Mass Effect 2 and a number of other highly anticipated titles.

Peter Molyneux's new game as also been hinted at, who knows what Peter could be developing or if it will be shown at E3. Not to forget the long and now rather dull rumours concerning a Metal Gear game appearing on the Xbox 360 console. Now while at one point I would have seen this as being a possible move for Kojima Productions, I'm now not to convinced we will ever see a Metal Gear game on the 360. But that's not to say we won't see a developed game from Hideo Kojima himself appearing on the console in years, months maybe even weeks to come. You simply never know. 

New downloadable content also seems very possible. Rockstar have hinted at the first details of GTA4 Episode 2 being announced and we already know that Epic are bringing more Gears of War 2 DLC to the table, surely we'll see some of that at E3. Bethesda could also reveal the first of the two new pieces of Fallout 3 DLC, one being the recently reported Lookout Point. There will no doubt be more downloadable content from a number of different games, I'm hoping forward to hearing some news on potential new albums hitting Rock Band 2 to go along with my eagerness for the new piece of GTA4 DLC. Every gamer is looking for something different, and E3 usually does surprise you in the weirdest of ways. 

WHAT ELSE!

What else can we expect Microsoft to bring at the E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009. Well the avatar loving 1 vs 100 could be discussed in greater detail by Microsoft, there are still many questions to be answered concerning this free downloable game and a general improvement to avatars as a whole is very much a possibility. Being European, I'd love to either hear of some new services hitting European Xbox Live or a price drop to gold membership considering we don't get some of the features other parts of the World get. But Microsoft being American, and this taking place in the US. Well lets just say I don't expect much.

Microsoft are keeping their cards close to their chests right now. No reveals are expected until E3 itself and there highly anticipated press conference. Discussions and debates will continue until then, and I personally am looking forward to see what they can deliver. Especially when one looks at the potential offerings of Sony this year, who could have one of their biggest E3's yet if talk is to be believed. Me personally, well it's all about Assassins Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2. Those are the two main games that have me excited the most when E3 launches at the start of June and who knows, we mught see some totally brand new ip's to get us all excited.

This years E3 could go one of two ways for Microsoft, while it could generally be seen as a turning point for Sony. I can't help but think it's Microsoft who potentially need to bring some heavy hitters to this years event in Los Angeles, California. They need to continually been seen as the leaders of this generations hardcore gamers, and while I don't see motion controlled cameras having a big effect on gamers like myself. I'd still be rather interested to see how it works and how it's going to affect the way I see and play videogames. If it's anything like the Nintendo Wii Motion Controller, it'll probably have no affect on my gaming habits what so ever. But with the E3 Electronics Entertainment Expo, you simply can never know!

What do you think we'll see from Microsoft at E3 2009?
Check back for Part 2: Sony.

Thanks for Reading, 
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)

(Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Nice read.
I also think we will see something from Rare which would be awesome.