Thank You, Dragon Age...for Making Me Buy Darksiders Instead

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

With how slow last week was, I wasn't sure there'd be much to write about this week...but OOOOHHHHH, how I'm wrong!  Expect some serious gaming talk this time around, guys. 

To start, let's talk some Darksiders, or as I like to call it:  The Legend of Soul Reaver - Ocarina of War: Devil May Cry Edition.  I think that Darksiders coming out this soon after a movie like Avatar is interesting.  Both share two primary qualities: 

• Neither are very original and use familiar components from many other sources
  • Neither have incredibly original characters, as they all fit a standard archetype

These are the two things most people would hate on for one reason or another.  However, I remember when Dead Space came out...and it had the same basic thing going on with it...and it was amazing.  Ladies and gents...Darksiders is the new Dead Space.  This game is injected with so much "badass" and "fucking awesome"...I mean, seriously, when you pick up the box to this game and see the shining lenticular that adorns the front of it...it seriously IS that badass!  I'm doing my first playthrough on the Apocalyptic difficulty, and it presents a good balance of satisfaction from beating something and anger from dying abruptly.  The character design is simply amazing, and the voice acting for everyone (including Mark Hamill's awesome work as The Watcher) is top-notch.  The environments definitely made me think of Soul Reaver, simply in the way of "man, I just spent nearly 2-3 hours crawling through this dungeon to get to the boss, and it's fucking worth it".  These bosses...are big.  The size of Tiamat the Bat Queen as your first boss...hell, even the boss at the beginning of the game...should pretty well sum up every boss battle you'll find.  Some of them can be challenging as well, since the game doesn't always rely on pure combat to solve a fight.  The combat itself is incredibly satisfying, with just enough moves to keep you mixing things up (which feels so much easier and competent in this game than many other of its ilk) and some really incredible weaponry. 

I haven't beaten the game yet.  I'm right at Silithas, who is one of the last...three bosses...?  Maybe?  Either way, the game has lasted me about 9-10 hours so far on the highest difficulty setting, and while people could bitch that 15 hours isn't worth $60 for a game they know nothing about...I should point out that God of War didn't even last 8 hours and people had no problem throwing down for it.  Darksiders in an INCREDIBLY well-built game that executes everything it sets out to do with an amount of precision that starts 2010 off right. 

Also, I got a 7" War action figure for buying it, which sweetened the deal.  I also...*ugh*...put a pre-order down for Dante's Inferno.  Look, okay...I know.  I hate pre-ordering shit, but dood...a 7" Dante action figure!  FUCK YES!

Now, do you know who I owe thanks to for making me get Darksiders?  That would be Bioware and Edge of Reality.  You see, I originally picked up a used copy of Fallout 3 GOTY edition (only been through Operation Anchorage, it was cool) and Dragon Age Origins.  Yes, I finally dived into my pocket and picked up the game I'd been wanting to get my grubby hands on for a while, especially since the game was on sale brand new for $45. 

Folks, in the 6 hours that I played Dragon Age, I was thrown aback by the narrative and the dialogue...the relationships...there is SOOOO much that I loved about that time I played.  Then, I found myself going from pure love to pure hatred and rage.  Bioware is an incredibly reputable company.  Edge of Reality...eh, not so much.  Those guys typically do poor port jobs, but I felt like they had done a pretty good job with this title.  As I explored Redcliffe (some of you may know where this is going now), I was told that I needed to defend the town from the dredges of the undead.  With Morrigan, Leliana, and Superdog (my Mabari war hound) at the ready, we fought three brutalizing waves of zombies...and then we waited...and we waited...and we waited...and we explored the town for signs of enemies...and we waited...  All the while, pounding drums and fierce combat music was blaring into my ears. 

The game just bugged out due to the quest "Attack on Nightfall"...and I have no save points before Redcliffe.  My autosave went off in Redcliffe, and I saved after the third wave, thinking I was being given a break and wanted to have those three waves dead forever.  For two and a half fucking hours, I ran around that fucking town...praying to God and every other Holy fucking spirit that this game didn't just fuck me up the ass with a cactus...BUT IT DID!  IT FUCKING DID! 

I already had apprehensions because of Edge of Reality's name being on the box, but I figured that Bioware had a lot of time to work all this shit out.  Now, here I was with a save file that was broken and wouldn't let me get in Leliana's pants.  Dood, I was fucking PISSED...and I am STILL fucking pissed!  Why?  The game has been out for two months, and upon researching, this is a known issue that has even been reported on the Bioware forums.  This is a GAME-BREAKING BUG!  This isn't some little thing that...oh, hey, I'll restart my console and everything will be fine.  NO!  This is something that literally should NOT exist!  I understand the nature of software programming just fine, and I understand video games just fine.  I know that games will have bugs in them.  That's something I'm willing to put up with...if the company shows an active effort to FIX the bug.  Instead of fixing the bug, what is Bioware doing?  Putting out more DLC and announcing AN EXPANSION PACK!  ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! 

So, this is an open letter to Bioware... 

Dear Bioware, 

Fix your fucking game.  Find comfort in the fact that your game was taken back for a copy of Darksiders.  If you can get this bug taken care of, I'll pick a copy back up.  If not, DIAF.  Kthxbai 

Other than that...not much else.  Have any of you experienced the bug in Dragon Age?  Should we have to tolerate that kind of thing being in a game, or should the developer be a bit more responsible with their game?  Who has been playing Darksiders?  Also, how's Bayonetta working out for some of you folks? 

Until next time, piece.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

With how slow last week was, I wasn't sure there'd be much to write about this week...but OOOOHHHHH, how I'm wrong!  Expect some serious gaming talk this time around, guys. 

To start, let's talk some Darksiders, or as I like to call it:  The Legend of Soul Reaver - Ocarina of War: Devil May Cry Edition.  I think that Darksiders coming out this soon after a movie like Avatar is interesting.  Both share two primary qualities: 

• Neither are very original and use familiar components from many other sources
  • Neither have incredibly original characters, as they all fit a standard archetype

These are the two things most people would hate on for one reason or another.  However, I remember when Dead Space came out...and it had the same basic thing going on with it...and it was amazing.  Ladies and gents...Darksiders is the new Dead Space.  This game is injected with so much "badass" and "fucking awesome"...I mean, seriously, when you pick up the box to this game and see the shining lenticular that adorns the front of it...it seriously IS that badass!  I'm doing my first playthrough on the Apocalyptic difficulty, and it presents a good balance of satisfaction from beating something and anger from dying abruptly.  The character design is simply amazing, and the voice acting for everyone (including Mark Hamill's awesome work as The Watcher) is top-notch.  The environments definitely made me think of Soul Reaver, simply in the way of "man, I just spent nearly 2-3 hours crawling through this dungeon to get to the boss, and it's fucking worth it".  These bosses...are big.  The size of Tiamat the Bat Queen as your first boss...hell, even the boss at the beginning of the game...should pretty well sum up every boss battle you'll find.  Some of them can be challenging as well, since the game doesn't always rely on pure combat to solve a fight.  The combat itself is incredibly satisfying, with just enough moves to keep you mixing things up (which feels so much easier and competent in this game than many other of its ilk) and some really incredible weaponry. 

I haven't beaten the game yet.  I'm right at Silithas, who is one of the last...three bosses...?  Maybe?  Either way, the game has lasted me about 9-10 hours so far on the highest difficulty setting, and while people could bitch that 15 hours isn't worth $60 for a game they know nothing about...I should point out that God of War didn't even last 8 hours and people had no problem throwing down for it.  Darksiders in an INCREDIBLY well-built game that executes everything it sets out to do with an amount of precision that starts 2010 off right. 

Also, I got a 7" War action figure for buying it, which sweetened the deal.  I also...*ugh*...put a pre-order down for Dante's Inferno.  Look, okay...I know.  I hate pre-ordering shit, but dood...a 7" Dante action figure!  FUCK YES!

Now, do you know who I owe thanks to for making me get Darksiders?  That would be Bioware and Edge of Reality.  You see, I originally picked up a used copy of Fallout 3 GOTY edition (only been through Operation Anchorage, it was cool) and Dragon Age Origins.  Yes, I finally dived into my pocket and picked up the game I'd been wanting to get my grubby hands on for a while, especially since the game was on sale brand new for $45. 

Folks, in the 6 hours that I played Dragon Age, I was thrown aback by the narrative and the dialogue...the relationships...there is SOOOO much that I loved about that time I played.  Then, I found myself going from pure love to pure hatred and rage.  Bioware is an incredibly reputable company.  Edge of Reality...eh, not so much.  Those guys typically do poor port jobs, but I felt like they had done a pretty good job with this title.  As I explored Redcliffe (some of you may know where this is going now), I was told that I needed to defend the town from the dredges of the undead.  With Morrigan, Leliana, and Superdog (my Mabari war hound) at the ready, we fought three brutalizing waves of zombies...and then we waited...and we waited...and we waited...and we explored the town for signs of enemies...and we waited...  All the while, pounding drums and fierce combat music was blaring into my ears. 

The game just bugged out due to the quest "Attack on Nightfall"...and I have no save points before Redcliffe.  My autosave went off in Redcliffe, and I saved after the third wave, thinking I was being given a break and wanted to have those three waves dead forever.  For two and a half fucking hours, I ran around that fucking town...praying to God and every other Holy fucking spirit that this game didn't just fuck me up the ass with a cactus...BUT IT DID!  IT FUCKING DID! 

I already had apprehensions because of Edge of Reality's name being on the box, but I figured that Bioware had a lot of time to work all this shit out.  Now, here I was with a save file that was broken and wouldn't let me get in Leliana's pants.  Dood, I was fucking PISSED...and I am STILL fucking pissed!  Why?  The game has been out for two months, and upon researching, this is a known issue that has even been reported on the Bioware forums.  This is a GAME-BREAKING BUG!  This isn't some little thing that...oh, hey, I'll restart my console and everything will be fine.  NO!  This is something that literally should NOT exist!  I understand the nature of software programming just fine, and I understand video games just fine.  I know that games will have bugs in them.  That's something I'm willing to put up with...if the company shows an active effort to FIX the bug.  Instead of fixing the bug, what is Bioware doing?  Putting out more DLC and announcing AN EXPANSION PACK!  ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! 

So, this is an open letter to Bioware... 

Dear Bioware, 

Fix your fucking game.  Find comfort in the fact that your game was taken back for a copy of Darksiders.  If you can get this bug taken care of, I'll pick a copy back up.  If not, DIAF.  Kthxbai 

Other than that...not much else.  Have any of you experienced the bug in Dragon Age?  Should we have to tolerate that kind of thing being in a game, or should the developer be a bit more responsible with their game?  Who has been playing Darksiders?  Also, how's Bayonetta working out for some of you folks? 

Until next time, piece.
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By lucas_kelly

I didn't experience that bug but I did have two major problems with the game.  

1. The combat was extremely repetitive.
2. All the NPCs where stale. None of them moved. This may not seem like such a big deal, but after playing a game like The Witcher or Oblivion, this is definitely something that stands out for me. 

Darksiders looks pretty cool, I'll definitely try it sometime. 

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CowMuffins

I bought Dragon Age,but havn't played it yet. I hate it when you spend so much time on a game and something bad happens to your data. The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition thing with the updated graphics had a bug where it broke the game. Apparently even though Stan gave me some business cards, they didn't get on the boat with me and I couldn't ever fire the cannon to get off the boat. It's the worst.

Avatar image for deactivated-61980b421cedb
deactivated-61980b421cedb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I experienced the same bug as u my friend... but it wasnt enough to make me full on rage quit and pawn the game for something else. I just reloaded and tried again, although, i was pretty bummed that i had to go through 35 minutes of the same scripted horde of undead horde again and pull through by the skin of my teeth once again. But holy damn was that music during that sequence effing annoying when it bugged out and im just runnin around lookin for more shit to kill....

Oh yeah, and Darksiders looks cool too. That bit about the whole " The Legend of Soul Reaver - Ocarina of War: Devil May Cry Edition" made me rofl.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vaiz

I thought I was having a similar issue in Redcliffe in the PC version of the game. Turns out there was just one dumbass retarded skeleton hiding in a corner, because its AI apparently decided to go HERP DE DERP. After killing that one, things went forward as per normality. Hopefully your issue was actually a game breaking bug and you didn't rid yourself of a game like Dragon Age for an easily remedied reason.

THAT ALL SAID, I am hearing a lot of good things about Dark Siders, for which I'm glag. I initially thought it looked cool, but had this horrible feeling that it would be mediocre at best. I love when I'm wrong about the right things.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vaiz

I thought I was having a similar issue in Redcliffe in the PC version of the game. Turns out there was just one dumbass retarded skeleton hiding in a corner, because its AI apparently decided to go HERP DE DERP. After killing that one, things went forward as per normality. Hopefully your issue was actually a game breaking bug and you didn't rid yourself of a game like Dragon Age for an easily remedied reason.

THAT ALL SAID, I am hearing a lot of good things about Dark Siders, for which I'm glag. I initially thought it looked cool, but had this horrible feeling that it would be mediocre at best. I love when I'm wrong about the right things.

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By dhuff

I hate Zelda, is Darksiders right for me?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheFreeMan

Glad to hear that you think Darksiders is great. My thoughts were starting to go the other way from some of the reviews that weren't as positive as the pre-release ones, but this put my hype back in place. Can't wait till Friday to play it.

And that Dragon Age bug sounds terrible. I would rage something fierce if that happened to me.

Enokei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enokei

I was super disappointed with dragon age for many reason and I really want to buy darksiders 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Milkman

Yeah, the Redcliffe quest is a little fucked and that really sucks. But the most basic rule of every BioWare game, save often. And when I mean often, I mean after every battle. It's no excuse for the game getting bugged like that but still, dude, you gotta save.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

I'm playing the PC version of Dragon Age and if that shit happened to me, I'm fucking screwed. You can't take back PC games like console games. *Note to self* Save often and create different saves, not just the quick save. Thanks for the word up.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@dhuff said:
" I hate Zelda, is Darksiders right for me? "
Yes.  The Zelda part is really only in some of the inventory stuff and the fact that you get a gigantic fucking ninja star/shuriken type thing that works a lot like the boomerang.  There are a couple of Zelda-like puzzles to the areas you are venturing in, but that's about it.  I would compare it far more to Soul Reaver and DMC, particularly DMC 1 and 3. 

As for the Dragon Age bit, I ran around for two and a half hours trying to see if that retarded AI shit was my issue.  No, there was no one.  There's no excuse for the game to be broken almost two months after it was released, not with something that small.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cstrang

Hmm...  I may eventually pick up this game after all the good things I've been hearing about it, but I need to finish Uncharted 2, inFamous, and Killzone 2 first.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Fallen189

Dragon Age was the best game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By MildMolasses

I had a similar problem with Redcliffe as well, but I also create multiple saves, so I just reloaded from the nearest non-autosave and continued on. 

As for Leliana, it's not a bug. She's very finicky when it comes to boning. You probably made the mistake of getting her to fall in love with you before doing her personal quest. Fret not, all is not lost. Just dump her and you can get her to fall in love with you again, but you will need to make a save file before talking to her because it's easy to fuck up
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dark_Jon

I agree that Redcliffe was poorly designed, so was the part where you go into the fade, that was just annoying. However, for such a long game, it's hard not to find imperfections and while there are some, the rest of the game is pure gold. When I was playing it, there weren't enough hours in the day for Dragon Age.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
@Dark_Jon said:

" I agree that Redcliffe was poorly designed, so was the part where you go into the fade, that was just annoying. However, for such a long game, it's hard not to find imperfections and while there are some, the rest of the game is pure gold. When I was playing it, there weren't enough hours in the day for Dragon Age. "

I'm sure that the rest of the game is magnificent.  However, that bug killed it for me.  Once I can get confirmation that the bug is gone from the game, I will be more than willing to jump back into that game, because the time I spent playing it was absolutely astonishing.  I'm just not going to keep a game that has a chance of flat-out denying me the ability to play the way I want when choice and playing the way you want are such important factors in the game. 

Back when something like Blood Omen 2 had a game-breaking bug, shit sucked because there was no hope for a patch.  That wasn't even that long ago.  However, developers now have the ability to "patch" their games on consoles.  If Bioware, a company with such a high reputation, can't even get a patch out for the consoles (again, regardless of whether Edge of Reality was responsible for the port or not), then it tells me they care more about making money off the DLC and expansions than making sure their product is in full working condition to the best of their abilities.  I just don't think that this issue is that hard for them to fix up and push a patch out, and in turn, they wouldn't have forum pages full of rants and pissed off customers.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

I wantz me some Darksiders! I needz me some money though =( 
My cash has been hurled towards the preorder of Mass Effect 2. Annd also I bought me assassins creed 2 during the christmas holidays, to which it ''still'' hasn't arrived yet >=/. Fackin snow.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CowMuffins
@Abyssfull said:
" I wantz me some Darksiders! I needz me some money though =( My cash has been hurled towards the preorder of Mass Effect 2. Annd also I bought me assassins creed 2 during the christmas holidays, to which it ''still'' hasn't arrived yet >=/. Fackin snow. "
It's a whole lot better than the first one. Should be worth the wait. Still kind of stupid that they're making a missing part of the game paid dlc...
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

It's not bugged, one of them always just hides...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
@CL60 said:
" It's not bugged, one of them always just hides... "
Excuses... 

@CowMuffins said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" I wantz me some Darksiders! I needz me some money though =( My cash has been hurled towards the preorder of Mass Effect 2. Annd also I bought me assassins creed 2 during the christmas holidays, to which it ''still'' hasn't arrived yet >=/. Fackin snow. "
It's a whole lot better than the first one. Should be worth the wait. Still kind of stupid that they're making a missing part of the game paid dlc... "
We could be pissed about that, but I think it's safe to say that $60 for Assassin's Creed II felt like a steal...so I'm more than willing to hurl a little extra dough at Ubisoft for that amazing-as-fuck game!
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel

Wait, so Darksiders is only 15 hours long?  That's pretty short for a game that is, to a pretty large degree, a wannabe Zelda, isn't it?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CowMuffins
@jakob187 said:
" @CL60 said:
Excuses... 

@CowMuffins said:
" @Abyssfull said:
It's a whole lot better than the first one. Should be worth the wait. Still kind of stupid that they're making a missing part of the game paid dlc... "
We could be pissed about that, but I think it's safe to say that $60 for Assassin's Creed II felt like a steal...so I'm more than willing to hurl a little extra dough at Ubisoft for that amazing-as-fuck game! "
I dunno, the textures weren't that great. But then again, I played AC1 on an SD Tv and AC2 on an HD Tv...so they could have been just as bad in the first one. Gameplay wise it was a whole lot better though.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@CL60 said:
Yeah, this.  I thought it bugged too, then I found one hiding like a fool.  That said, I love Darksiders as well, already put 9 hours into it or so.  Both great games.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MKHavoc

Any issues with screen tearing in Darksiders?

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Time_Lord
@jakob187: 
you should always keep more than one save in any game just in case.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Jayross

I love how the OP wants Bioware to fix "their fucking game" despite him really even playing it.

You ran into one bug, which is a fairly common one (I didn't get it on my second playthrough, but it happened on my second), it hardly gives you any basis to judge the developer(s).

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
" Should we have to tolerate that kind of thing being in a game, or should the developer be a bit more responsible with their game?  "

Loaded question, I think. Anyway, the answer is no, you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing. That doesn't mean I don't think you're an idiot for throwing away a fucking awesome fifty+ hour game because you didn't want to replay a thirty minute combat sequence.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Red12b
@jakob187:  
Do you know if it happens in the PS3 version of the game? I've had two run throughs and had no problems,  

Also, DIAF, I had to look that up, cheers for that, funny shit:) 

Also, please kill me, Please, I have had that god awful Jessica Chobot? saying in my head all day, "Thats epic, Epic for the win"  

ARGH!!!
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
@jakob187 said:
" @CL60 said:
Excuses... 

What? It's known..it's even happened to me...sometimes(most of the time) one of the things hides in a corner and wont move so nothing happens until you find him.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By trophyhunter

1. I can't wait to pick up darksiders tomorrow
2. I've played 60 hours of ps3 dragon age without any problems at all not even framerate issues

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
@Bellum said:

" @jakob187 said:

" Should we have to tolerate that kind of thing being in a game, or should the developer be a bit more responsible with their game?  "

Loaded question, I think. Anyway, the answer is no, you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing. That doesn't mean I don't think you're an idiot for throwing away a fucking awesome fifty+ hour game because you didn't want to replay a thirty minute combat sequence. "
I reloaded that save several times, and all of them wouldn't work.  I'm more pissed off about the fact that this is a recognized bug in all versions of the game (though from what I'm told, the 1.02 patch for the PC fixed this issue...even though people on the Bioware forums are still reporting it happening post-patch).  I searched every square inch of the map with three other people around me to help look in case I missed someone.  The quest just bugged out.  

I'm not going to go and restart the game because a company known for porting Tony Hawk onto the N64 and making such stellar games as Shark Tale and Over The Hedge can't push out a fix to the bug...especially when Bioware has already done the ground work with the PC version!!! 

I've been more than willing, in my time, to deal with bugs.  Hell, I played WoW for three years, and that's virtually one gigantic bug!  I feel that I am more than justified that in my six hours of gameplay, I had a game-breaking bug occur that changed my opinion about the company who made it. 

Also...how long was this game in development?  Two years?  Three years?  Nope.  FIVE YEARS!  Over the course of FIVE YEARS...you mean to tell me that Bioware wasn't able to get that one bug fixed?  They let it go to market like that, knowing it could break the game?!  That...is some bullshit. 

Once the game is fixed...then I will be more than willing to buy another copy of it and enjoy the holy hell out of it, because the time I had with the game was some of the best gaming I've had in a long time.  However, that bug discouraged me so much that I wasn't about to deal with that possibly happening again.  I'm sure anyone else with such an experience could easily feel the same way.   

@Jayross

said:

" I love how the OP wants Bioware to fix "their fucking game" despite him really even playing it.  You ran into one bug, which is a fairly common one (I didn't get it on my second playthrough, but it happened on my second), it hardly gives you any basis to judge the developer(s). "

By all means, you're right.  I should instead just be okay with a game that was in development for five years...and has been on shelves for two months...and seen four pieces of DLC released...and an expansion coming out in March...STILL having a game-breaking bug located in its coding.  -_-
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By slax

I had a similar problem during the pre-Landsmeet section where the game would just decide that it didn't want to function properly and I had to reload a save. Luckily I had saved just before each time so it worked out. I agree we should have to deal with this stuff. But I overall was still impressed with the experience. Darksiders looks interesting, I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
@CL60 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @CL60 said:
Excuses... 

What? It's known..it's even happened to me...sometimes(most of the time) one of the things hides in a corner and wont move so nothing happens until you find him. "
I know.  That's why I said "excuses...", as I'm sure it's the same reasoning that Bioware and Edge of Reality are using to not update and/or patch it on the consoles so that it DOESN'T happen.  =  /
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By delta_ass

Huh. I didn't experience any bug in DA. But then, I'm the kind of guy who saves before and after every battle.

Glad you're having a fun time with Darksiders though!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Red

Your similarities between Darksiders and Avatar are actually partially correct, but I'd like to rephrase them a bit: 

1. Neither are original, and bring practically nothing new to the table.
  2. All of their characters are stereotypes.
I'm sorry, but when a game has a hookshot, a portal gun, the combat of God of War, the art style of World of Warcraft, and a post-apocalypse setting, it is officially trying to hard to be noticed, but just not trying to be a good game, or bring anything new to the table. 
fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fang273
@CL60 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @CL60 said:
Excuses... 

What? It's known..it's even happened to me...sometimes(most of the time) one of the things hides in a corner and wont move so nothing happens until you find him. "
Happened to me, too. Spent an hour looking for it, and eventually found it on the docks after being a half second from redoing it.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thecleric
@Milkman said:
" Yeah, the Redcliffe quest is a little fucked and that really sucks. But the most basic rule of every BioWare game, save often. And when I mean often, I mean after every battle. It's no excuse for the game getting bugged like that but still, dude, you gotta save. "
They even remind you of the Quick Save key in the loading screens/
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Milkman
@thecleric: To be fair, I'm pretty sure he's playing on the 360 version which I'm not sure even has a "Quick Save" option. I could be wrong though.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By Atlas

I played 30 hours of the 360 version and have no problems. No broken saves, no crashes, maybe one framerate trip-up when fighting masses of dudes, but that's seriously it. Ok, well, there have been some sound issues - couple of dialogue errors, and sometimes the music cuts off unexpectedly - but that's not game-breaking. So with that in mind, I have three things to say: 

1.  Sorry dude. Feeling your pain, but don't curse BioWare's name quite so. Dragon Age is a fantastic game, and you're unlucky.
2.  You're playing a PC game on a console. It's never going to be perfect.
3.  They should patch the game to remove the bugs that you and others have found.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Metroid545
@Jayross said:
"I love how the OP wants Bioware to fix "their fucking game" despite him really even playing it.  You ran into one bug, which is a fairly common one (I didn't get it on my second playthrough, but it happened on my second), it hardly gives you any basis to judge the developer(s). "

he ran into a major bug that would have him restart his game file and he didn't play much because the bug stopped him, a bug that forces you to restart your game is way enough to judge the developers especially when they show no signs of fixing it by announcing an expansion
ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ekajarmstro

And people made fun of me for having over 100 different save slots in Oblivion...

Seriously... don't judge me.

Anyways, I love Dragon Age but if I was forced to restart because of a glitch I would probably not play it again for a long time.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By demonbear
@jakob187 said:
"Ladies and gents...Darksiders is the new Dead Space.  "
Ok, now you have my attention. I shall read this carefully crafted wall of text.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187
@Red said:
" Your similarities between Darksiders and Avatar are actually partially correct, but I'd like to rephrase them a bit: 
  1. Neither are original, and bring practically nothing new to the table.
  2. All of their characters are stereotypes.
I'm sorry, but when a game has a hookshot, a portal gun, the combat of God of War, the art style of World of Warcraft, and a post-apocalypse setting, it is officially trying to hard to be noticed, but just not trying to be a good game, or bring anything new to the table.
"
Yeah, I just got the portal gun last night, and all I thought was "seriously?".  Then I realized that I loved Portal to death, and any game that can rip that off well is okay.  You're absolutely right - tons of stuff is borrowed from other games.  However, the execution of it is excellent! 

As for this "WoW art style" thing...I don't understand WHERE people are getting that from.  The great Joe Mad is responsible for the artwork, and it meant to look more like a 3D comic book than WoW.  I understand how people may want to say this because of the flat textures like WoW uses, or because The Ashlands zone has a Horde look to some of the stuff.  I've even heard people around the store here say "man, that looks like WoW".  Maybe it's because I spent three years playing WoW that I don't see why people bring that up so much. 

Regardless, Darksiders is a fantastic game, and to dismiss it because it uses great elements from great games is naive.
BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BurBan_Snake

@ everyone tbh 

Well, I had the same thing as everyone else, except..when i had the 1 zombie hiding in the corner like a moron, i only had my main character left alive, i was literally running around for a half hour with my main character at less then half hp (warrior, human noble) bouncing between a couple of random hordes that seemed to spawn, before finally finding the one final zombie, with his face in a wall. It was torture, but that was my only issue with the entire game. 

I also quite enjoyed the part in the fade, and noticed no bugs within it, so idk why people are complaining, unless i just got lucky there.  

I was playing on PC.

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

Reminds me of that idiotic Carth glitch from KOTOR, I lost a 24 hour file to that, I raged for a week.  I didn't like what I played of DA:O at all.  It felt like a phoned in Bioware KOTOR clone, just without lightsabers.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shadow

I spent the last week playing Last Remnant and FUCK THAT GAME IS GOOD
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By KowalskiManDown

My biggest issue with DA:O is that I still ain't had my DLC achievements added to my GS total. It's a hella frustrating bug.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

As reputable as BioWare is, it's always been my rule of thumb to keep multiple saves and save often when playing their games.