#1 Posted by subyman (595 posts) -

...for not running lame next gen articles back to back like the other game websites such as "Why do we need next gen consoles? - Polygon" or "Who will win the console war? - Polygon" or "PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One: The Games - The Complete Comparison - IGN" or "How to prepare for next gen - Polygon" or "Do we need 60fps on Xbox One or PS4? - Gamespot" or on and on.

Thank you Giant Bomb and I can't wait for the 15th when you actually get your hands on it and can give a proper opinion *thumbs up*

Anyone else notice the shameless next gen click-bait articles?

#2 Edited by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

I definitely appreciate Giant Bomb not feeding the rumor mill or making mountains out of mole hills, but this is nothing new. GB has never been the sort of site to obsess over non-stories.

I know some people (NeoGAF for example) are disappointed by the GB crew refusing to participate in "resolution gate" discussion and some have even made the ridiculous claim that there's some sort of secret pro-Microsoft bias. It's all garbage though, and there are plenty of other places on the internet that those people can go if that's the sort of coverage that they want.

#3 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6135 posts) -

Yup. GB's drama-free podcasts and game coverage have always been positives. It's nice to see a bit of professionalism in regards to not getting drawn into these seemingly daily Internet meltdowns.

#4 Edited by subyman (595 posts) -

Yup, while those sites are putting together lists and doritos ads, Giantbomb is running a 48hr live stream for charity, interviewing indie devs, and playing some DnD. Great stuff :)

#5 Posted by armaan8014 (5375 posts) -

Is it bad I ended up looking up a couple of those articles you mentioned? -_-

#6 Edited by probablytuna (3597 posts) -

I think they don't need to write those articles because their opinions on the matter have already been expressed thoroughly in the podcasts and the morning show, which is fine with me.

#7 Posted by TopCat88 (176 posts) -

Couldn't agree more. This is one of the main reasons why I support GB. The guys are smart and respectable and don't shamelessly whore the site out to rumour and speculation unless its reasoned, balanced and fair. Reserving judgement on the next gen machines until they have had a chance to properly test them. Keep it up guys!

#8 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Even if the Giant Bomb guys wanted to post those kinds of articles, I don't think that would be in their best interests to do so. Giant Bomb's mantra has always been something similar to "If we can't add something meaningful to the discussion, then we won't."

Good thing too, 'cause they're doing much more interesting stuff.

#9 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

I know some people (NeoGAF for example) are disappointed by the GB crew refusing to participate in "resolution gate" discussion and some have even made the ridiculous claim that there's some sort of secret pro-Microsoft bias.

I feel like my entire body is facepalming at once reading this. Uggghhh.

#10 Edited by mbdoeden (170 posts) -

It's certainly the reason why I love this place. I like the no bullshit let's not take this too seriously attitude.

I was laughing right along with Brad when Jeff mentioned "serious games" that one time.

#11 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

I majorly appreciate them not making those stories because those type of stories attract the worst kind of people. And I would like to keep those people far and away from this wonderful website.

#12 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

amen brother, amen.

#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Totally agree, it's awesome how they don't use stupid articles for click bait.

One of the many reasons I love Giant Bomb.

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

Next gen console wars? Resolutiongate? Pshhhhh...

The nature of sandwiches, how much pizza is too much pizza, and the lovability of alpacas are far more worth arguing.

#15 Posted by ThunderSlash (1636 posts) -

They are too invested in Windjammers to notice. K. Wessel top tier!

#16 Edited by BaconGames (3357 posts) -

It's probably a lot to unpack because I'm sure there's more than one thing going on but the fact that there are things like the Bombcast and Bombin' the AM means there's little reason to dedicate article space to it. That and since Giant Bomb doesn't do those, in my opinion, lame ass "let me stand in front of a green screen and re-cap stuff" then it doesn't really show up in other video content either.

If anything, the small staff has reinforced the way they prioritize content and while they could benefit from articles like that in the short term, it's not the kind of site they want nor is it necessarily their business model. With that said, we need to remember that Polygon, IGN, and GameSpot do not operate in the same way that GB does in terms of subscriptions and like premium content.

I do not begrudge those sites because if they're paying a full staff of writers, which if you just look at Polygon is a ton, then you gotta fill out that site with stuff that people will click on. "Clickbait" is always just a loaded and pejorative statement but there's a grain of truth there for a reason. Sites like Polygon still largely operate on user engagement and advertising. That and a lot of those article writers are human and they're just as vulnerable to this fever-pitch atmosphere we're in right now with the consoles coming out soon.

That's far from an endorsement of that content because let's make no mistake, there's not much of value if at all in those kinds of articles. At some point it's sites like those making compromises but probably falling a bit too much into the temptation than is healthy while Giant Bomb are lucky and earning their dedication to a great site.

#17 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5363 posts) -

Giant Bomb definitely strays away from the standard rumor mill production line and for that I have sincere appreciation.

#18 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

Gamebomb.ru's coverage has been fantastic

#19 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

It's always been good that Giant Bomb have stood away from the click bait articles and have gone a smarter route of creating compelling video content to keep people coming back.

#20 Posted by SharkEthic (1037 posts) -

Agreed, it's pretty refreshing. Now if we can just do something about every other topic on the forum being about this very thing, we'll be fucking golden!

#21 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1106 posts) -

I find it lazy for a videogames website to have so little articles and coverage about the next-gen consoles.

#22 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

Yeah! We're much better than those fuckers over at rivalvideogamewebsite.com

I know some people (NeoGAF for example) are disappointed by the GB crew refusing to participate in "resolution gate" discussion and some have even made the ridiculous claim that there's some sort of secret pro-Microsoft bias.

I find the NeoGAF hivemind arrogant and sensationalist. And their opinions are dumb.

*dances away*

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by TreeTrunk (115 posts) -

giantbomb is the only gaming website that is self aware that it is a gaming website, not a journalist website that needs to report on every obscure thing that they can think of.

#24 Edited by Damodar (1330 posts) -

I think this is proof of the subscriber model in action. Since they're not solely dependant on clicks, they can avoid dirtying themselves with that kind of bullshit and get on with the coverage that intelligent people actually want, like Vinny electrocuting his dick.

#25 Edited by Fattony12000 (7250 posts) -

Thamps guise.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

You know, I think there's a certain value in that kind of discussion, but the video game press has always gotten way too wrapped up in that stuff and one of the reasons I've appreciated Giant Bomb so much is that they refuse to spit out the same predictable set of articles that other sites feel are compulsory. The staff do good work.

#27 Edited by Twinsun (469 posts) -

@subyman said:

Yup, while those sites are putting together lists and doritos ads, Giantbomb is running a 48hr live stream for charity, interviewing indie devs, and playing some DnD. Great stuff :)

Sorry, couldn't help but find this post a little funny, seeing as the front page has a giant doritos and mountain dew add right this moment ;)

#28 Edited by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

@bacongames said:

With that said, we need to remember that Polygon, IGN, and GameSpot do not operate in the same way that GB does in terms of subscriptions and like premium content.

This is a pretty fair point to make. Giant Bomb's business model and scale allows them to focus a bit more as opposed to having to serve a certain volume to justify and maintain their larger staff. Also, as @gamer_152 said, there is value in having breadth to the sort of media coverage that's out there. IGN, Kotaku, Game Informer, "Angry/Crazy/Screeching Youtubers", and other outlets have their place, and they serve a certain purpose and cater to certain audiences that a single small site like GB can't possibly satisfy on its own.

#29 Posted by subyman (595 posts) -

@twinsun said:

@subyman said:

Sorry, couldn't help but find this post a little funny, seeing as the front page has a giant doritos and mountain dew add right this moment ;)

Lol, I'm a subscriber, so I don't see the ads. I do visit the site on other computers and before logging in, its like a totally different webpage. Not many other websites outside of video games change their entire background into an advertisement. That has always felt really strange to see.

#30 Edited by Demoskinos (14711 posts) -

I really want to punch whoever came up with the term "Resolutiongate" I mean I just man.... its like nails on a chalkboard every time I see an article using that in an entirely serious context.

#31 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Giantbomb is truly the best video game website on the internet.

#32 Posted by rickyyo (132 posts) -

I only look at Giantbomb and Hardocp. So, I get left out of the IGN "This will blow you away" and click-bait articles. Let me tell you guys... It feels good.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yup. GB's drama-free podcasts and game coverage have always been positives. It's nice to see a bit of professionalism in regards to not getting drawn into these seemingly daily Internet meltdowns.

Do you even know what do this is!?