• 96 results
#1 Edited by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

Do you have that one game that you find really interesting and fun, but have just never finished? Maybe you've played the majority of it and then other stuff came up and it passed you by even though you enjoyed your time with it. Maybe you've restarted it multiple times. Maybe you've uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times.

I ask because I just started playing Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES again for like the fifth time. It's a game who's structure I find really cool, and who's combat and world I also find compelling, but whose multiple storylines I've never finished a single one of. Starting the game again made me think on how many other games I treat in this way, another being Far Cry 2. I'm well aware at this point of Far Cry 2's flaws, and the things about that game that always get me to stop playing the game but, like clockwork, I eventually start thinking about it again and want to play it. So I install it, get maybe a dozen hours in, and eventually tire of it and move on to better games. I have never finished Far Cry 2.

There are other games I could name, but I want to hear from you. So, what is your gaming muse? That one (or two, or three) game you find fascinating but, for one reason or another, unfinishable.

#2 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Bought it when it came out, played a bunch of it, never beat it. Restarted it like a year later and got super close to the end, but got sidetracked and never finished it. I think it's an amazing game too, I just never was able to beat it due to whatever circumstances. Maybe when I'm finished with Ni No Kuni I'll pop it in an finish what I have left as opposed to start it all over again.

Another one was Far Cry 3, but I technically just beat that. I say technically because I only captured all of the outposts/towers on the first island and haven't finished any of the side missions, but I beat the main story. I probably wont finish the extra side stuff either. I've gotten my fill of what that game has to offer and I can only see it getting tedious from here.

#3 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@rongalaxy: Both Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex are unfinished games for me. I think in terms of the original I just got to it a little too late and it's age has become a barrier for me. As for Human Revolution, I'm not sure why I didn't finish it. I got maybe half way through, and there was just not enough time, energy, attention, etc. I think for me personally, this is part of my natural flow between periods of heavy and light gaming.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

Radiant Historia is definitely one. I feel like I'm going to have to play through the thing with a walkthrough right next to me, because that game can get super tedious if you don't know what you're doing D:

#5 Edited by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@beachthunder: I ended up doing just that for game's like Baldur's Gate and it's sequel in order to get me over the hump and give me a sense of direction and purpose. Not a great solution I admit, but I got to play through those games and I really ended up enjoying them anyways. And now I'm super excited for Pillars of Eternity and have been having a lot of fun with the latest Divinity game, so I feel like it's payed off.

#6 Posted by audioBusting (1644 posts) -

Hah, I totally forgot but Seiken Densetsu 3 is the same for me too. I restarted that game 3 times already, I think.

I've restarted Dragon Age pretty much once a year without finishing it too. I like how different my different characters are treated in every playthrough though. There is a lot of racism in that world!

#7 Posted by Slag (4735 posts) -

yeah a lot lately

Final Fantasy Viii was the first time it's happened to me, and it happened again with Xii

Dragon Age Origins is one of my biggest embarrassments in that regard.

#8 Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -

Still haven't beat Ocarina of Time. I probably played hundreds of hours of that game as a kid, but I've still never finished it. Got to the spirit temple about six years ago and that's the farthest I've ever been. As a kid I was just too dumb to beat it, but I dunno why I gave up the last time. One of my favourite games of all time. It'll be weird when I do finish it though because I've been playing that game my entire life.

#9 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@audiobusting: @slag: God, I've gotten so far (with multiple origins and classes) in Dragon Age, and totally love that game, but I've never finished it either. It's always "this time!", but it never is. To be fair that was before I got into and played through some infinity engine games, so maybe it'll be different next time. Hell, if this thread has any effect on me it will probably be me installing games like Dragon Age and Deus Ex, but maybe I'll be self conscious enough to finish them this time.

#10 Posted by Shaunage (724 posts) -

I've played hundreds of hours of Morrowind and never actually seen the end of the story. I finished both sequels quickly.

#11 Edited by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@supermike6 said:

Still haven't beat Ocarina of Time. I probably played hundreds of hours of that game as a kid, but I've still never finished it. Got to the spirit temple about six years ago and that's the farthest I've ever been. As a kid I was just too dumb to beat it, but I dunno why I gave up the last time. One of my favourite games of all time. It'll be weird when I do finish it though because I've been playing that game my entire life.

This was Link to the Past for me for a long time as a kid. Eventually I beat it, although I was still a kid at the time. I've played through it about once a year (or so) since. I only ever beat Ocarina of Time once, and it took me several passes as well. For some reason I don't actually look back on it that fondly, and am much more critical of it when I replay it these days, though I suspect this is more a product of my difficulties with early 3d games generally.

@shaunage said:

I've played hundreds of hours of Morrowind and never actually seen the end of the story. I finished both sequels quickly.

This is my experience with both Oblivion and Skyrim. I've played hundreds of hours of each, and seen only a bit of the story of each. But then again I tend to think that the main questline in those games is pretty optional. What does it even mean to beat or finish an Elder Scrolls game?

#12 Posted by Nodima (1280 posts) -

@sbaitso: Final Fantasy VII is one. I never liked it much, played the Mako Reactor section and the following city a few times over at a friend's and never got into it. Then one summer during college I decided to buy the game for myself and got hooked somehow, got to the final dungeon and got stuck in an area where I was under leveled, didn't have enough healing potions or mana, and couldn't fight my way out of the dungeon or persevere through the final series of bosses.

Final fantasy Tactics is another. And this one is because my characters are very over powered and I came across a ton of games on PS+ I wanted to play. I am somewhere in the fourth act and I did a couple more battles recently, but this game I may never finish. As a kid I rented it twice and got belittled by the first mage battle in the dock town both times. I blasted through that part as an adult but I just lost the hook at some point near the end with no clear reason why other than newer games to play via Playstation Plus.

#13 Posted by Karmosin (222 posts) -

Xenoblade chronicles. Been thinking about picking it up in a long time but I'm stuck at a boss and don't really have the will to go on right now. Maybe some other time...

#14 Posted by hunterob (107 posts) -

Final Fantasy IV. Played non-physical copies of the SNES and GBA versions (...), then paid easily over $40 total for both the DS and PSP versions. The DS version is straight up too hard, and in all the other ones I save deep into dungeons where I should have grinded way more before entering. I don't want to or literally can't backtrack to go grind somewhere else. I think with how far I got in the PSP one... I just give up. I can't put in this much effort all over again.

#15 Edited by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@nodima: I made it to disc two of FFVII once. That's the extent of my knowledge of that game. As in all I know is I made it that far once. Eveything else is a blur. I picked up FF Tactics back when it came out on PSP and made it up to this one on one battle that my save has me locked into and I think I'm probably underleveled (though I didn't know that going in and my saving strategy, while admittedly dumb, was my downfall) and I can't muster the strength to start over.

#16 Posted by Capum15 (4966 posts) -

Every once in a while I'll hop back on Dragon Age and slowly inch my way further in the story.

Also, while I've beaten Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, I can never seem to finish another run. I can get roughly half through the main story, do a bunch of side stuff...and then I just kinda leave them. Sometimes I go back and get a little further, sometimes I start again.

Also I have like 20+ games that I'm in the middle of. That's probably a big reason. And then I just go back and play Sins of a Solar Empire or one of the Command and Conquer games for the millionth time instead.

#17 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@hunterob: I've gotten myself into that exact situation many times with RPGs before. I absolutely loved Final Fantasy V until I got stuck somewhere and had to do some serious grinding. I guess I just don't have the stomach for that stuff.

#18 Posted by Damodar (1460 posts) -

I've started Alundra on the PS1 with the intention of finishing it many, many times in the last 15 years. The latest attempt wasn't that long ago. I don't know what happens, I just get distracted by something else and fall off it. I actually tend to get quite far each time, too. It's certainly not that I stop enjoying it, because that doesn't happen, I still really love the game.

#19 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

I have a couple:

• Metroid Prime - Bought and sold it like five different times, enjoyed every minute of it but I just didn't have the patience for it.
  • Dragon Quest VIII - Played about 30-40 hours of it and then sold it to gamestop. Now I've got to start all over.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Was dumb as a child, and couldn't strategize effectively. Pretty awesome game, though.
  • Fire Emblem - Same as above.
  • Fallout 2 - I just keep wanting to restart.
  • Deus Ex - I just keep wanting to find all the ventilation shafts, and then restart.
  • Plants Vs. Zombies - I keep getting to about the third world, and then I just kind of lose interest.
#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11456 posts) -

Not any more. For years it was Dead Rising, but I finally managed to beat it last year.

#21 Posted by SunBroZak (1292 posts) -

I have a bunch of games that I haven't finished, but I just lump them into the backlog and assume I'll get to them later. I tend to have problems with long RPGs, because I'll often change my mind about how I want to spec my character, then feel the desire to start all over again.

#22 Posted by bemusedchunk (711 posts) -

Mega Man 2. Could never beat the dragon boss thingy with the floating platforms.

This was right where Alex ended his bombastica.

#23 Posted by ProfessorEss (7472 posts) -

The Saboteur.

I've gotten deep and restarted a couple times. I love it but I highly doubt I will ever end up finishing it - though I'd really like to.

#24 Posted by ThunderSlash (1909 posts) -

Final Fantasy VI. Every year or so I would start a new game and get right up to the final dungeon and then lose interest. I can't tell you why either, since I love that game to bits.

#25 Posted by primalmaster (87 posts) -

up until a few weeks ago it was the Witcher 1 and 2, but I finally managed to sit down and finish them. I think both demons souls and dark souls are now those two games that I know I will never finish. I really wanted to get Dark souls 2, I managed to keep myself from buying it. Weirder still is that when I do play those games, I enjoy the hell out of them. Either I grow tired of them overtime, or something distracts me, maybe I just get frustrated at certain parts and put it aside for a while and end up forgetting about the game completely !?

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

For the longest time, it was Resonance of Fate. But since that's going to be the subject of this blog I'm writing, I'll fall back on the tried and true Might and Magic VII.

#27 Posted by Zevvion (2275 posts) -

Arkham Origins. Because of being side tracked. A real shame too, because I think it's the best in the series.

#28 Posted by Rejizzle (355 posts) -

Every Metroid Prime game I stop mere hours from the end because of some backtracking collection mission. Love each and very game in the series, would recommend to all, but the only one I've finished is Metroid Prime Pinball.

#29 Posted by nasp (398 posts) -

ive tried beating bioshock 5 times now.i always get to the part where you melt the ice to get to the next area,take a break,and never play it again.i loved bioshock infinite,but ive never been able to get into the first bioshock.which is a shame because i realize theres a great game in there somewhere(me likeing infinite proves that)but for some reason it never clicks.ive tried to come up with reasons why,but i still dont have a specific reason why i cant love bioshock.

#30 Edited by BonOrbitz (2243 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :( I've played it four times since '98, the last on the 3DS, and I can never manage to finish it for some reason! I get side tracked or l side tracked... I feel bad for that.

#31 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (455 posts) -

It's Valkyria Chronicles for me. For whatever reason, I can never play more than a few hours before I move on to a different game and forget about VC until at least a half a year later. I don't think I've ever gotten past chapter 5.

#32 Posted by sir_gunblade (126 posts) -

The Witcher for me. Once I connected the computer to the TV in the living room, gaming that doesn't use a controller took a hit. I'm in chapter 4, and have so far refused to play the Witcher 2 until I finish it.

#33 Posted by Jeust (10823 posts) -

For me now that game is Resident Evil 0. I've finished the first half of the game, but I can't bring myself to play the second. :/

#34 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

Wind Waker, 10 years and counting. Now I have the excuse of playing the HD version when I get a Wii U so not this year either.

#35 Posted by ESREVER (2703 posts) -

Persona 3 Portable for me.

#36 Posted by me3639 (1837 posts) -

Maybe back when i was younger, but anything i start i always finish, on hard difficulty. The REAL minority in games today.

#37 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@primalmaster: It took me a really long time to get Demon's Souls to click. I got more than ten hours in multiple times before I finally got to a place where I felt confident playing it. In fact, by the time I beat Demon's Souls I had beaten Dark Souls multiple times, and was waiting for Dark Souls II. I guess I just told myself I had to finish it before Dark Souls II. Partly because of a desire for more of that style gameplay, part personal pride.

@sir_gunblade I've never finished The Witcher either, but just so you know dude get's amnesia like every game so you might not need to worry about it, (don't know how intense you are about story stuff) and the Witcher 2 is so damn good, you really should just play it

#38 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@esrever: Persona 3 is a big one for me as well. I've gotten 40 hours (!!!) into that game more than once. But eventually keeping a PS2 hooked up for a single game I don't have the time for just seems silly. I've hooked up the PS2 to play that before and finished other PS2 games in their entirety before making significant progress in P3. Endurance Fail I guess.

#39 Posted by CByrne (279 posts) -

Just Cause 2. I hear it's bad, but every time I fire it up I start jet surfing and stuff.

#40 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Pokemon Blue/Fire red and Persona 3. Every time I try and continue or start a new game it just never sticks. I love both games dearly, but it seems like I'll never quite finish them.

#41 Posted by militantfreudian (128 posts) -

The first one that comes to mind is Half Life 2. I think I gave it a fair shot, but I just couldn't get into it. It took me 2 years to reach Nova Prospekt, and few weeks ago, I erased the game along with the save files, so I don't think I'll ever get back to it.

#42 Edited by BisonHero (6815 posts) -

I put down Bravely Default in April, and still haven't got back to it. I'm not even in the crummy back half of it. I'm in chapter 3, the area with lava. I took a break from it during exams in April, and just haven't found the time to get back to it.

To that game's credit, it has the best disco song to ever be in a JRPG:

I can't even tell if the composer intended to write a march and it accidentally became disco, or what, but that song is fucking amazing.

#43 Edited by BisonHero (6815 posts) -

@me3639 said:

Maybe back when i was younger, but anything i start i always finish, on hard difficulty. The REAL minority in games today.

Yeah, I'm the same, if I start something, I tend to finish it unless I'm really not having fun.

On a slightly related topic, I have a friend on Steam who buys a ton of games, but then when I look at his list of games, there are dozens and dozens he has played for about 20-50 minutes. It infuriates me, because it just seems so wasteful. Evidently for a lot of them, he installs the game, plays for less than an hour, then never plays again. I also buy a lot of games on Steam, but if I start them at all, I usually finish them, or at least put in a good 3-6 hours to really get a feel for the game in case it has a slow start but gets better later. The only games on Steam I can say that I only played for like, an hour or two, were one or two $5-$10 indie games that turned out to be way shittier than I thought, and were just tedious to play.

But this friend, he has played under an hour of:

• Enslaved
  • Spec Ops
  • The Banner Saga
  • Max Payne 2
  • Shatter
  • Cave Story
  • Freedom Force
  • Jedi Knight II
  • Bit.Trip Beat
  • Civilization V
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Bioshock 2
  • Papers Please
  • Rock of Ages
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail

Most of those games are pretty good! Plenty of them aren't even that long! There were tons of other games (with under an hour played) I didn't list, because I don't know them as well. But even those ones I listed, I feel like if they weren't for you, you probably could've figured that out from reviews or the store page, before buying them.

Maybe he intends to get back to all those games, but I kinda doubt it. Mostly I just see him playing hundreds of hours of Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and I guess grindy loot RPGs in general. I don't know why he bothers buying all of these other games.

#44 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Bought Final Fantasy VIII on day 1. Finished it some time in 2008.

Every single time the same thing happened. I started a new game, didn't like many of the mechanics that much, couldn't get into the story, stop playing for many months at a time, sometimes a year or more would pass before giving it another shot, at which point i would start over because it had been too long since i played it last. Then the cycle would repeat itself, for 9 years.

And then i beat it! Took 58h over about a week.

After all this i can safely say it's the second worse FF i played after 13 and will never play it again. Ironically because i did try so many times before finally finishing it it's probably the FF i played the most in total.

#45 Posted by Clubvodka (417 posts) -

I recently found myself unable to complete Metal Gear Rising. I fudged my way through most of that game on normal but struggled with the second Armstrong fight, gave up and went to Sleeping Dogs, the next game on my Xbox 360 pile of shame.

#46 Posted by Sbaitso (558 posts) -

@bisonhero: Sounds like your friend would be better served watching quick looks. I mean seriously, 20-50 minutes of Civ V? Do you even make it out of the first era in that amount of time your first time playing that game?

#47 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

One of my favorite games of all time qualifies. Link to the Past. I've played about 3 different versions of it, and have never finished it. I left off with a couple dungeons to go in the Virtual Console version and could probably finish it in about a couple hours if I played it again.

#48 Edited by JadeGL (949 posts) -

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I have reinstalled this game a bunch of times. I bought it when it first came out because of it's totally awesome cover, and I played it quite a bit, but then college got back in the way of playing games and I lost my momentum. I recently, within the past few years, bought a copy through GOG and reinstalled it. I started the game three separate times and each time I got to around the same place and fizzled out.

I love the game, I want to finish it, I just can't get over this hurdle that I can't even articulate. It's a really cool game in a cool universe, but for some reason I get about halfway through and lose it.

#49 Posted by kcin (140 posts) -

I am on my fourth attempt to complete Hitman: Blood Money, as the previous three times, my saves have corrupted across the original XBOX and various PCs. Any other games which I haven't completed are because I just lost interest.

#50 Posted by Budwyzer (621 posts) -

Skyrim

Mass Effect 2

Half of the Assassin's Creed games

- I start to lose interest in those long RPGs