• 138 results
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By CaptainCody

Find me a game set in Rhode Island, let alone my town.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By iamjohn

Welcome to how I feel every time a game is set in New York, my friend.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#103  Edited By Raven10

I lived in Chicago for quite a while and there are occasionally games set there or at least partially there. Watch Dogs is set in Chicago and I recognized the area in the trailer. It isn't an exact recreation but I immediately knew where it was. Also in Need For Speed The Run the race in Chicago took place right where I went to school and down the highway I traveled on to get into the city every day. Again, it wasn't perfectly accurate but it was pretty close and I really appreciated how they got the lighting for the street lamps so damn close to how it actually looks. Those are the two games that I can think of off the top of my head that I recognized areas from where I lived. They also do occasional movies in Chicago, like The Dark Knight. I know exactly where they filmed many of those scenes. Suffice to say that games do get Chicago right to an extent. I've also been to New York City quite a few times in my life and the recreations vary from almost entirely fictional to at least somewhat accurate. A lot of times it feels like games are content to get Times Square right and then just build a random city around that. Again, never lived in New York City, just visited so I'm not super familiar but that has been my takeaway. I always thought it was interesting that the Batman films' Gotham seems to be a recreation of New York City but they never shoot it anywhere around New York. It was so weird to see classic Chicago landmarks and then be told the city was in the middle of a body of water. Suffice to say Chicago is next to Lake Michigan but it is far from surrounded by water. And I believe The Dark Knight Rises was shot in Toronto, which I have also traveled to regularly, and again, it is not a city surrounded by water.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By sockemjetpack

I never had a game use my hometown but there was a movie that shot there. Cannibal Girls starring Eugene Levy and directed by Ivan Reitman(!) had all of its twon footage shot in Beaverton Ontario. It's strange to see Eugene Levy walking around my hometown; but what is even stranger is that the movie was shot in 1973 and the town still looks exactly the same.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By dourin

Unfortunately I have yet to find a game set in Kansas City, Missouri. We got a Jackson 5 song, at least...

Halos_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#106  Edited By Halos_god

@Video_Game_King: Oh, I see.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By cheesebob

We have Muse in my hometown, but it would be a massssssssssive stretch for any game to be set there.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By sparklykiss

Indianapolis isn't all that fascinating, unfortunately. Although I do get unnecessarily excited when any part of Indiana is in an episode of Supernatural.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By _Zombie_

I live in a small town with absolutely nothing to do. We're nowhere near interesting enough to get a game set here.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#110  Edited By donutfever

I live near Toronto, that's probably the best I can do.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Raven10: Actually, Gotham is pretty blatantly New York City in the new one. I was surprised they didn't try to edit out stuff like the Empire State building from some of the skylines. The Bronx appears to have been drowned in a flood, though. There's lots of Pittsburgh and Chicago in it too.

GTAIV is probably the best representation of NYC I've seen in a game. It's not 1:1 by any means, but it's such an incredible representation of the atmosphere and feel of the city down to different neighborhoods feeling just like the ones in the city. It's great.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I'd love it if a game in the near future was able to generate your hometown using google streetview and place random dungeons in obscure locations.

Maybe in the year 2020? lol

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By penguindust

I grew up in New York City, so it's not a big deal, but if a game was set in the town I live now it might be weird. Of course, I doubt any game ever will be set here. Well, maybe one of those fishing games. I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and people here like to fish. They still make fishing games, don't they?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By mrfizzy

@Capt_Ventris said:

Never had a game set in my hometown (Melbourne) but it often turns up as other cities in Hollywood films. Ghost Rider for instance, that was an odd one.

Especially in the scene when he dive's into the river off a bridge. The whole audience in the cinema collectively gasped at that because it does not matter if you are Satan's messenger you are not surviving a dip in the Yarra.

And yet we can't help but love it's murky brown waters.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115  Edited By wrighteous86

@CaptainCody said:

The... Family Guy Game? I assume...

How accurate is that rendition? Any violent Chicken-men?

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By mosdef

I'm from Compton and GTA San Andres pretty much nailed it. Walking the streets in game immediately brought back home.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By CaptainCody

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaptainCody said:

The... Family Guy Game? I assume...

How accurate is that rendition? Any violent Chicken-men?

That was the obvious answer. Occasionally there have been chicken men actually, so it's not too far off.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By blueaniman93

Yeah, same goes for GTA for me. Whenever something like that is done, it's always altered for gameplay reasons. Like you said, GTA was amazing because you've never been to NYC but Sleeping Dogs looks awesome because I've never been to Hong Kong. Also, I can't tell if the Cantonese is bad or not but I thought major Chinese actors were voice acting. Maybe they're frmo different parts of China but I can't really tell if its bad.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#119  Edited By Raven10

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Raven10: Actually, Gotham is pretty blatantly New York City in the new one. I was surprised they didn't try to edit out stuff like the Empire State building from some of the skylines. The Bronx appears to have been drowned in a flood, though. There's lots of Pittsburgh and Chicago in it too.

GTAIV is probably the best representation of NYC I've seen in a game. It's not 1:1 by any means, but it's such an incredible representation of the atmosphere and feel of the city down to different neighborhoods feeling just like the ones in the city. It's great.

It wasn't shot in New York City. The skyline shots and top down shots were all CG. Most of the movie was shot in Canada. I think it was Toronto but it could have been Vancouver. I'd have to look it up.

Kaiserhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Kaiserhawk

The time I can remember anything similar was sacking Inverness in Medieval II Total War.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven10: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/06/batman-the-dark-knight-rises-films-nyc_n_1078572.html

They filmed in NYC. Trump Tower on 5th Avenue was Wayne Tower in this film. Weirdly, the fight scene is filmed in both NYC and Pittsburgh. I think maybe the charge was in New York and the actual brawl in Pittsburgh? Odd. The skyline was definitely not CG, though. There's no way they'd spend all the time, money, and resources to film the exact same skyline and then leave in the Empire State Building or the Bank of America building. Batman Begins, though, was full with skyline CG, and it looks noticeably different.

Wikipedia points out that it was also filmed in Newark, LA, London and Glasgow.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#122  Edited By billyhoush

Yeah. I remember feeling weirded out when I played Super Mario Bros.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#123  Edited By applet0n
@themangalist Yeah, same here. I'm still living in HK at the moment, so it's a little jarring. That being said, I will admit that the game's attention to detail on other things (such as the green minibuses and the purple bins everywhere) is pretty impressive.

I'll probably end up picking it up day one over at 188 or something. To satisfy my curiosity if nothing else.
spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By spartanlolz92

gta 5 set in los angeles weird as hell seeing some of the landmarks in the trailer and going I know where that is.

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

No one will ever make a game set in Calgary, Alberta.....

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#126  Edited By Slag

I've often wondered what Londoners thought of the Getaway

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By blueinferno

I've never lived in Vancouver, but I was born in BC. It was kind of cool to see future Vancouver in Mass Effect 3.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By NTM

None in my town I think, but plenty of things are set in my state, most notable from games is Alan Wake. As much as I love the atmosphere in Alan Wake, I don't know many places that are similar to the setting of Alan Wake here. To me, that seems more like Alaska or something, but whatever.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#129  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Pffft, I'm lucky if I see a character from my country, and If i do he ends up being a maniac who committed genocide. So it's the bad kind of lucky. Imma go drink some booze now.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By dfsvegas

@SAC said:

I wa hyped as hell for Fallout: New Vegas because (you guessed it) I grew up there. Just seeing what Fallout 3 did with the DC surrounding (visitng familiar locations) was one of my favorite parts of that game so I could not wait to do that to my stomping grounds.

This... The scale is obviously all off, but Primm, Jean, and the Hoover Dam are all where they pretty much should be, and the freeways at least looks accurate on the map.

It's a little different, since New Vegas is modeled after 50's Vegas, and not my 90's Vegas, but it's still really weird.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By 49th

Don't think I've ever really played a game set in London. Which is surprising because there should probably be more.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#132  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@49th:

Xbox 360 Europe
Xbox 360 Europe

I was actually surprised at how good it was, really like this game.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By dungbootle

Austin could happen.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By deerokus

The only games I've ever seen to have anything set in Glasgow (in Scotland) are train simulators, so eh... Railworks' rendition of Central Station is pretty good.

The closest to this feeling I've had was watching the Jet Li/Morgan Freeman movie Unleashed (aka Danny the Dog). The entirety of the exterior shoot was filmed here and it is full of familiar areas to me but - apart from one throwaway line by Morgan Freeman mentioning the name of the city - could have been set just about anywhere for as much relevance the location has to anything. Directed by a Frenchman, starring an American, an Englishman and a Chinese bloke, and even the cashier in the local shops has a cockney accent. There's not even a single accent from the same country never mind the local area. Truly baffling, and very jarring to see your city represented like that,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342258/

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By flasaltine

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@49th:

Xbox 360 Europe
Xbox 360 Europe

I was actually surprised at how good it was, really like this game.

That game is fucking amazing... on PC at least. Too bad their newest game looks like it might be consolized trash.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#137  Edited By leafhouse

Driver: San Francisco, baby!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#138  Edited By Hizang

Part of a Harry Potter movie was shot less than 5 minutes away from my house..

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#139  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@Tonyyj: Those fuckers are in Edmonton too!

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Slab64

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Being from the suburbs, I can't have that experience. But I do empathize.

Also, more things should be set in Chicago.

Yeah, but Watch Dogs, at least in that preview, seemed to nail the look and feel of Chicago.

Plenty of stuff I can think of thats in Chicago, but the main one that leaps to mind is Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City. Oh, and Midtown Madness.