• 64 results
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

With my XBOX 360 that is. I just can’t deal with it anymore; the other day I had my third 360 Red Ring on me. This after having just bought a 12-month subscription to Live (thankfully, I didn’t get a chance to put the code in before the damned thing burnt out). Having already decided that I would rather buy a PS3 than send my X-Brick to Microsoft for a good three weeks, I thought I’d try a home remedy that has had pretty positive feedback since its discovery. Well, whether I don’t have the technical expertise, am too hasty or just damned clumsy, I did something to further worsen my situation: as it stands, my ex-XBOX can’t even boot up, much less play games. I’ve decided it’s going to stay that way.

So long, old friend.
 So long, old friend.
Tomorrow I’m going to drive to my closest game store, trade in all my games, my two controllers and my hard drive, and buy a PS3. I’ll probably pick up Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 as well if I have the cash (or maybe Arkham Asylum; I haven’t decided yet).

Now, I just want it to be clear that just because I’m frustrated with my current situation (and I am very frustrated) doesn’t mean I will henceforth hate the XBOX: it’s still a great console with some really top-notch games. Unfortunately, I just can’t put up with the shoddy hardware any longer, and although I know that the PS3 does have some issues similar to the Red Ring, I also know that they are far less common.

So, I guess anyone on Giant Bomb who has me on their friends list can go ahead and delete me. I may edit this space with a PSN tag once I get to that point. Thanks for reading.

-End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

With my XBOX 360 that is. I just can’t deal with it anymore; the other day I had my third 360 Red Ring on me. This after having just bought a 12-month subscription to Live (thankfully, I didn’t get a chance to put the code in before the damned thing burnt out). Having already decided that I would rather buy a PS3 than send my X-Brick to Microsoft for a good three weeks, I thought I’d try a home remedy that has had pretty positive feedback since its discovery. Well, whether I don’t have the technical expertise, am too hasty or just damned clumsy, I did something to further worsen my situation: as it stands, my ex-XBOX can’t even boot up, much less play games. I’ve decided it’s going to stay that way.

So long, old friend.
 So long, old friend.
Tomorrow I’m going to drive to my closest game store, trade in all my games, my two controllers and my hard drive, and buy a PS3. I’ll probably pick up Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 as well if I have the cash (or maybe Arkham Asylum; I haven’t decided yet).

Now, I just want it to be clear that just because I’m frustrated with my current situation (and I am very frustrated) doesn’t mean I will henceforth hate the XBOX: it’s still a great console with some really top-notch games. Unfortunately, I just can’t put up with the shoddy hardware any longer, and although I know that the PS3 does have some issues similar to the Red Ring, I also know that they are far less common.

So, I guess anyone on Giant Bomb who has me on their friends list can go ahead and delete me. I may edit this space with a PSN tag once I get to that point. Thanks for reading.

-End Boss.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I don't understand how mine is lasting so long :P

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I know how you feel.  I am on my 4th 360 and I usually leave my PS3 on for days at a time.  Had my PS3 since launch.  I love 360's exclusives and the arcade.  But damn the hardware....   

PS3 can also stream video and zee blue rays are sweet.  Now that I can get them from Netflix.   But PS3 doesn't have Halo, Gears, Mass Effect...  

I hope MS gets a lot better next gen.  No way am i buying it at release after this.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama
@End_Boss said:
"  With my XBOX 360 that is. I just can’t deal with it anymore; the other day I had my third 360 Red Ring on me. This after having just bought a 12-month subscription to Live (thankfully, I didn’t get a chance to put the code in before the damned thing burnt out). Having already decided that I would rather buy a PS3 than send my X-Brick to Microsoft for a good three weeks, I thought I’d try a home remedy that has had pretty positive feedback since its discovery. Well, whether I don’t have the technical expertise, am too hasty or just damned clumsy, I did something to further worsen my situation: as it stands, my ex-XBOX can’t even boot up, much less play games. I’ve decided it’s going to stay that way.

So long, old friend.
 So long, old friend.

-End Boss.

"
congratulations. You are now on the road to recovery and better games. Good riddance.
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ubiquitous

Yeah, I'm on my fifth 360 and that one's acting like its gonna go. Now I really just play games on my comp. I only start up the Ecksbocks to play Halo 3 or Phantom Dust if people are over. 

I guess i also started it a couple times to play Shadow Complex...
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RLLink

Oh man, that blows. Although I don't blame you for finally getting rid of it, I can tell that it can be pretty frustrating. Even if I don't own a 360.
Care to add me when you get a PS Triple? Ha ha.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss
@RLLink said:
" Oh man, that blows. Although I don't blame you for finally getting rid of it, I can tell that it can be pretty frustrating. Even if I don't own a 360. Care to add me when you get a PS Triple? Ha ha. "
Sure thing, duder. PM me with your tag.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

Its completely understandable that you switch over to the PS3 with your experience on 360's generally shitty hardware. Hell, I'm surprised that there isn't very many people who are jumping to the PS3 boat with the hardware failures. It's like we're all a stubborn bunch, reluctant to switch over even though it'll probably save us more money in the end and with less frustrations. Of course that's up to the person.

Hope you'll have a good time with the PS3; its a pretty good time to get one with the price reduction and all.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy
@Meteora: How will it save more money if you can ship it back and get it fixed for free? Lol

@Akeldama: You sir are probably the biggest PS3 fanboy on this site, I think every post of yours I see is about Sony elitist superiority. Well, every gaming post. Just sayin'.
Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tanuki

...End_Boss... ... ...Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! 

On a more important note.  Heavy Rain & the Last Gaurdian will be awesome.  Buy them.  I'm waiting till those come out to get a PS3.  ...even though I think I'll be on my 3rd xbox soon.  :P
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Warfare

Welcome to the club .

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski

Shame about all the troubles you had.  I only had my 360 for a year, so I'm hoping it is new enough to not have all that hardware failure crap.

Luckily, the PS3 pretty much has the same library as the 360, with some great exclusives.  I probably would switch to playing my PS3 more if my friends didn't play on the 360 most of the time.  Also... Mass Effect!

doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By doctorkaneder

I hope things turn out well for you. I've yet to have any problems of my own, but I've made a mental note to drop the Xbox completely if and when that time comes. It's hard to imagine that day, however. I have to agree with @Meteora: I would expect myself to be stubborn in that situation, so I hope someone is there to just tell me NO! Switching to another console is always a great feeling, so buying a PS3 wouldn't be a hard time for me but, I'm not going to lie, I am very fond of the 360.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dopeman

i'm starting to freak out about mine

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By End_Boss
@Andorski said:
" Shame about all the troubles you had.  I only had my 360 for a year, so I'm hoping it is new enough to not have all that hardware failure crap.  Luckily, the PS3 pretty much has the same library as the 360, with some great exclusives.  I probably would switch to playing my PS3 more if my friends didn't play on the 360 most of the time.  Also... Mass Effect! "
When I think about switching consoles, the only thing that really brings a tear to my eye is Mass Effect... And Left 4 Dead... I demand PS3 ports for both of these.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

That sucks man.  :(  I fun with your new PS3 then.

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deadmonkeys

This is EXACTLY why I don't have a 360.

I've been thinking about purchasing one for some time, but I can never bring myself to do it.

The games are awesome and it has superior online functionality, but spending $300 (+ Gold subscription, +Wireless Adapter), and having to worry about hardware failure is TOO MUCH.

If my 360 bricks, I could either send it in to be repaired (and possibly be charged for it), or buy another one. No, FUCK THAT.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gregomasta
@End_Boss: I'd like to say I'm done with consoles, but really I'm just done with my red ringed xbox.  I switched to pc fully, dealing with just steam and direct 2 drive.  Tho I think this is just the first step into admitting failure and buying a ps3.  I suggest going pc/ps3 for those non ps3 games, that is if you have a kickin pc already.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
@Akeldama said:

congratulations. You are now on the road to recovery and better games. Good riddance. "

Why are you such a pathetic fanboy?
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Your loss bro.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo

The 360 is the better next generation console in terms of exclusives and online gameplay, but the PS3 is such a higher quality console.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

I think you'll be fine with PS3. Had one for over 22 months now and you can still barely tell it's turned on because it's so quiet. I've upgraded to the Slim now and that seems just as well built, but obviously I've only had that for a month.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By End_Boss
@get2sammyb said:
" I think you'll be fine with PS3. Had one for over 22 months now and you can still barely tell it's turned on because it's so quiet. I've upgraded to the Slim now and that seems just as well built, but obviously I've only had that for a month. "
Is the slim version as quiet as its larger counterpart?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Cube
@crunchUK said:
" @Akeldama said:

congratulations. You are now on the road to recovery and better games. Good riddance. "
 Why are you such a pathetic fanboy? "
Probably the same reason you are.
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@Cube said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @Akeldama said:

Why are you such a pathetic fanboy? "
Probably the same reason you are. "
Ooh, Burn.
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Johnny5

I would backup my homeboy the PC but this is already turning into a system wars thread. :P 

I'd be interested to see how much credit they give you for each item though. Maybe post here and tell us what they give you.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By KamasamaK
@End_Boss said:
" When I think about switching consoles, the only thing that really brings a tear to my eye is Mass Effect... And Left 4 Dead... I demand PS3 ports for both of these. "
And Left 4 Dead demands to be played on the PC. Mass Effect doesn't mind so much, though.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunnBjorn

Man, everytime i turn on my 360 i cross my fingers... 
So far, i'm a lucky dude... it's working perfectly. 
It's a fragile system, but it has some quality games. 
Forgive me for saying this but i love my 360. 
And no, i'm not a M$ fanboy.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
@End_Boss said:
" @get2sammyb said:
" I think you'll be fine with PS3. Had one for over 22 months now and you can still barely tell it's turned on because it's so quiet. I've upgraded to the Slim now and that seems just as well built, but obviously I've only had that for a month. "
Is the slim version as quiet as its larger counterpart? "
Yes, certainly. In fact the Slim has periods of complete silence. I mean, as with all computers the fan does rev up occassionally if the hardware's under strain, but that's a sign that you're console's not getting sizzled.

Most of the time it's basically silent. The disc drive is a bit noisier then the original models when you insert a disc but, I mean, that's basically nothing.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By keyhunter

The next time my 360 red 3 quarter ring E74's I'm just gonna buy a new one while I wait for its replacement.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

I'm in the same boat. If this thing red rings I'm trading in my games and buying PS3 because I want one anyway.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

Mine near-launch model 360 red-ringed twice so far.  I always feel like I am on the precipice of another failure.  If it goes this time, I'll probably have to pay to get it fixed and I'm not going to do that, so I'll probably buy a new one since my current one doesn't have HDMI anyway.  I need my Xbox still even though I have and play very often a PS3.  There are just a lot of good games on that system that I want to play now and in the future.  I'm sure you'll have a good time on the PS3 (I know I do) but I would miss my 360 too much to give it up despite the constant feeling of impending doom.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onyxghost

Bummer dude. I'm still on my first one, and it's a launch box. Don't ask how it's made it so far, I didn't do anything special. It has frozen up a few times, but I guess I can't complain. They're so cheap now it doesn't bother me. I have money socked away if it ever craps out. If buy stroke of luck it doesn't then I've got a little dime saved up for the next gen. Good Luck on the PS3 I gave mine to my brother in law and never looked back. It's a good system, but all my co workers are on xbox. I never used the blue ray anyways. I still use dvd's.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Funzzo

I bought an elite the day it came out.  When I got home I tripped on a cord a dropped my 360 which was out of the box on to a concrete floor.  It hit the ground HARD.  Weird thing is I have never had a problem with it. It runs like a champ. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MeierTheRed

Good for you no taking it anymore. You will have fun with your PS3.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By eroticfishcake

I do admire your tolerance for the 360 failure rate. I would like a 360 and all but the fact that it breaks down a lot and the that you have to pay to play online really puts me off. Which is a shame since it's got some great games. I've gotten a PS3 Slim a few weeks ago, I've only got four games with it but I love it so far.

Tomeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tomeh

Had my 360 since launch, died once, got it back in four days, guess some people are just unlucky

Avaloner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Avaloner

I seriously think that if the 360 did not have the hardware problem it does then Sony would be seriously considering getting out of the console business by now. So in that regard thank god for the RROD. A monopoly benefits no one. As a side note I had my Xbox die on me twice (a RROD and a faulty DVD drive).

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MetalR
@Avaloner said:
" I seriously think that if the 360 did not have the hardware problem it does then Sony would be seriously considering getting out of the console business by now. So in that regard thank god for the RROD. A monopoly benefits no one. As a side note I had my Xbox die on me twice (a RROD and a faulty DVD drive). "
Nah.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Xandurson

I'm only on my second Xbox right now and I know it's not a bad situation because my first Xbox was a launch console I bought on eBay two years ago. The thing broke a few months ago and now I have an Elite so I'm better off anyways.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By RHCPfan24

The PS3 is a great system so you are not losing much. I just prefer online on the 360 but I could live with my PS3 only if I wanted to. Sorry to hear that you are having a lot of trouble with your old console; my Xbox died on me twice, I know how it feels.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryoma122

oh my brother welcom to the dark side
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentofChaos

Hey, I'm a 360 owner and I get where you're coming from. This thing can really be a PoS. But I still love Live and all kinds of things only 360 can offer.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RipTheVeins

I've never had my 360 red-ring or even act remotely strange and I've had it for about a year and a half now.  But if it ever does, I would probably want to trade in all of it for a PS3--but I've already invested so much into it that I don't know if I could bring myself to do it, but if it RROD's over 3 times then that is unacceptable.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aurelito

Mine had 3rod a few days ago and I'm not buying another American-Chinese crap again even if my life is at stake.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By dancingphlower

I just got my Xbox back, but if it happens again I'm switching to PS3, for sure.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King
@xyzygy: 

Same here. Mine's already a year old, and it hasn't had any problems that weren't with already buggy games (Saints Row 2, Assassin's Creed, etc.).
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
@End_Boss said:

"With my XBOX 360 that is. I just can’t deal with it anymore; the other day I had my third 360 Red Ring on me. This after having just bought a 12-month subscription to Live (thankfully, I didn’t get a chance to put the code in before the damned thing burnt out). Having already decided that I would rather buy a PS3 than send my X-Brick to Microsoft for a good three weeks, I thought I’d try a home remedy that has had pretty positive feedback since its discovery. Well, whether I don’t have the technical expertise, am too hasty or just damned clumsy, I did something to further worsen my situation: as it stands, my ex-XBOX can’t even boot up, much less play games. I’ve decided it’s going to stay that way.

So long, old friend.
 So long, old friend.

-End Boss."

Wow, after that I would do exactly the same thing. What do you plan on doing with all of your retail 360 games and 360 accessories that you won't be making use of?
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By meteora
@xyzygy: 'Cause if your 360 rings after your warranty then you're screwed over to buying a new console. Though if yours ringed during the warranty then that's great with the warranty extension. Otherwise it's a pain. Though its a bit easier now to replace the 360 with the $200 core console. That's probably why that bloody thing exists, so it can act as a replacement for the bricked 360s seeing how in normal situations you'd have a hard drive.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By sweep  Moderator

i'm not removing you from my friends list.